ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and sports media) 

Post#221 » by Prez » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:22 am

M-C-G wrote:
Siefer wrote:I haven't listened to a local sports radio show in....5+ years? For team centric content, LOB just runs circles around the best version of whatever the Milwaukee radio market has put out.

Haven't listened to LOB for the last two years as I don't commute much any longer. I think the Fan and LOB serve two totally independent group of fans. Like 5 years ago, Gary Ellison was saying paying Derrick Rose 20M a year would fix our problems and Jason Kidd would know what to do with him.

Meanwhile LOB is talking about the dangers over hedging inside the paint because of the dangers of the Jazz throwing cross court and forcing weak side help to close out or risk giving up the wide open corner three on the hockey pass. My problem with LOB is once Eric got either the Athletic or ESPN beat report, he just seemed like a team mouthpiece. And lost interest from there.

There was another podcast that I am sure a bunch of you listened to, maybe Bucks in 6? Irish dude that was great to listen to, though the other guy would just constantly lose his train of thought. I think they also had a french dude on that was a bucks fan and deep into stats, but to be honest that has probably been over three years since I listened to that one. I always thought maybe pairing the Irish dude with Frank Madden or something could have been a winning combination.

The current LOB duo is a winning combo imo. I found Eric to be pretty annoying but Kane is pretty solid, I’ve listened to LOB way more since Kane took Eric’s spot.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#222 » by Siefer » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:36 pm

Kane had the new MJS Bucks reporter on, and he just didn't have anything to offer the crowd listening to LOB. Seems like a pleasant person, but he made it clear he's not really a basketball guy.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#223 » by tski1972 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:22 pm

Siefer wrote:Kane had the new MJS Bucks reporter on, and he just didn't have anything to offer the crowd listening to LOB. Seems like a pleasant person, but he made it clear he's not really a basketball guy.

Jim Owczarski? Guy tweets more about the Packers and Brewers than the Bucks. Absolutely nothing to offer as far as Bucks coverage.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#224 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:44 pm

tski1972 wrote:
Siefer wrote:Kane had the new MJS Bucks reporter on, and he just didn't have anything to offer the crowd listening to LOB. Seems like a pleasant person, but he made it clear he's not really a basketball guy.

Jim Owczarski? Guy tweets more about the Packers and Brewers than the Bucks. Absolutely nothing to offer as far as Bucks coverage.

He was a Packer beat writer. They just didn't want to hire somebody else so they picked his name out of a hat and there's your new Bucks beat writer.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#225 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:59 pm

M-C-G wrote: I think the Fan and LOB serve two totally independent group of fans. .

Agreed. That said, greatly miss Sparky and Gery doing that postgame show. It was nice to be able to regularly tune in something that was consistent right after each game. And I think the callers to that show were an upgrade, knowledge wise, to the regular weekly WSSP caller.

Plus I miss Gery giving some hot takes. We had a golden age of fandom in that 2003-2008 period where Gery Woelfel/Larry Harris GM ven diagram circles intersected. We'd have a good rumor every week to toss around on this board.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,458

Post#226 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:02 pm

trwi7 wrote:
tski1972 wrote:

He was a Packer beat writer. They just didn't want to hire somebody else so they picked his name out of a hat and there's your new Bucks beat writer.

Whenever I watch a Bucks interview, I have to fast forward through his questions. He's unbearable as a reporter.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,220

Post#227 » by HKPackFan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:27 am

I have to say I think Jim is a pretty cool dude encouraging Zora to do play by play.

I read Eric's story on Zora and she gave Jim a lot of credit.

I didn't think she was bad, she was raw, but not bad.
#FreeChuckDiesel
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#228 » by DavidDunn21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:11 am

HKPackFan wrote:I have to say I think Jim is a pretty cool dude encouraging Zora to do play by play.

So real talk...was she good? Or just not terrible?

All the fawning tweets by the usual suspects makes me suspicious

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#229 » by HKPackFan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 am

DavidDunn21 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:I have to say I think Jim is a pretty cool dude encouraging Zora to do play by play.

So real talk...was she good? Or just not terrible?

All the fawning tweets by the usual suspects makes me suspicious

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app

She was ok. She wasnt annoying. She wasn't Steve Novak where I want him to shut up, or his on going voice runs on and on and he becomes white noise.

She was quite at times, voice was fine to listen to, she didn't go detailed play by play she just let the action go on sometimes. Sometimes she was adding color instead of doing more play by play. She let MJ take the lead.

At times it felt like two analysts were talking since she didn't do as much play by play.

She didn't get overhyped at the smallest plays like some announcers do.

Most importantly, her voice wasn't annoying, she didn't drone on about boring things. She got excited at the right moments in the game. There seemed some potential to gel well with MJ.

I didn't think she was great, but like I said she was raw and showed some potential. She wasn't terrible which is a good sign.
#FreeChuckDiesel
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#230 » by blazza18 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 am

Wonder if the Bucks will get her to do a proper play by play for a game or just continue with a scripted podcast with minimal play by play inbetween?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#231 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:37 am

She was better than Gus Johnson
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,458

Post#232 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:43 pm

Sparky having his buddy Woelful back on his midday madness show. Just as bad as before.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#233 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:12 am

Is there a single local reporter who has the balls to press Bud hard on the 2nd half ineptitude of his offense?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#234 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:34 am

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Is there a single local reporter who has the balls to press Bud hard on the 2nd half ineptitude of his offense?

It's more likely that no local reporters watched the 2nd half.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#235 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 am

Jim O asking about assists and lack of ball movement....Bud said a few more makes and they are closer to 25-28 assists. Clueless
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,722

Post#236 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 am

Chuck basically intimated in the post-game show that Bud should be fired. "Y'know we don't like to advocate for some to get fired, but what we just saw was ridiculous." Or something to that effect.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#237 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Zora is leaving after two years. Going to NBC sports.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#238 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Zora is leaving after two years. Going to NBC sports.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good for her. She really grew into her role with the bucks.

Not looking forward to an increased role of Steve Novak in any way shape or form.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#239 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Zora is leaving after two years. Going to NBC sports.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't think this is correct, at least for now she is sticking around to cover the Bucks as well. Per the JS report on this:

Her duties with NBC Sports will not pull her entirely away from Milwaukee, however.

She will be able to report from Bucks games for Bally Sports Wisconsin once their season resumes in the fall of 2021.

"Bucks fans will still see me a majority of the time, but I do now have NBC Sports responsibilities that we'll have to juggle with everything," she said.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#240 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:24 pm

^^^^Corrected the thread title

Return to Milwaukee Bucks