Image ImageImage Image

Cap Space+Realistic Targets this Summer

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Cap Space+Realistic Targets this Summer 

Post#41 » by ATRAIN53 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 pm

sco wrote:My realistic target list after letting Lauri walk:

Ball
Horton-Tucker
Schroder
Fournier
Rose
Caruso
Noel
Payton
Forbes
Giles
Trent
Oubre
Theiss
Burks
Winslow
Barton
Dinwiddie
Jones Jr.
Morris (Markief)
Jackson
Bradley (Tony)
Brown (Moses)

No wonder we're so in on Ball. that list is pretty brutal of FA

I'll take him for right price, he's at that age where they really get it and he's got skills

When I look at the list here's it's not much better
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2022/

I think we just need to wait on the next disgruntled star who enacts his Player Empowerment Era button and wants out.

my secret hope is that is Lillard or maybe Ben Simmons?

Those are the kind of dudes we're gonna need to add to a Zach/Vooch core to get past that Brooklyn roster if they keep it together for a couple of years. They don't have big window but AK is lining up with theirs now it seems.

Kawhi bailing on his hometown dream with PG in LA would be insane, but it could happen.
Hard pass on PG if he bails. If anything I could see Ballmer making Zach an offer he can't refuse to go play in LA with Kawhi!
Cabbage bulls
Senior
And1: 594

Post#42 » by Cabbage bulls » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:

Ball
Horton-Tucker
Schroder
Fournier
Rose
Caruso
Noel
Payton
Forbes
Giles
Trent
Oubre
Theiss
Burks
Winslow
Barton
Dinwiddie
Jones Jr.
Morris (Markief)
Jackson
Bradley (Tony)
Brown (Moses)

I'll take him for right price, he's at that age where they really get it and he's got skills

I think we just need to wait on the next disgruntled star who enacts his Player Empowerment Era button and wants out.

Those are the kind of dudes we're gonna need to add to a Zach/Vooch core to get past that Brooklyn roster if they keep it together for a couple of years. They don't have big window but AK is lining up with theirs now it seems.

Kawhi bailing on his hometown dream with PG in LA would be insane, but it could happen.
Hard pass on PG if he bails. If anything I could see Ballmer making Zach an offer he can't refuse to go play in LA with Kawhi!

It depends on how much Kawhi wants another ring. Falling outs are always possible to. Say the Bulls really start playing well the rest of this season. Kawhi could either stay with 1 allstar in LA, or join 2 all stars in Chicago. The bulls would instantly be a top contending team. I'm not that impressed with the Clippers roster after PG and Kawhi, especially next year. Most of their core is or will be 30+ by then.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 643

Post#43 » by Rose2Boozer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:36 am

It'll be interesting to see what type of interest Miles Bridges receives on the restricted market. The Bulls team could really use more young and athletic players. Watching Troy Brown Jr. move around the court was very telling how much this team needs more athletes.
ROLES & HOLES
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Post#44 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:54 pm

So what would you guys do with these four players (Thad, Sato, Aminu, and Lauri) with their salary situation for next season?

It seems more likely than not that Thad and Sato will be here next year while Lauri most likely will not. I’m not sure about Aminu as he has a 10 million player option which I’m pretty sure he is going to accept. Not sure if this would work but possibly a sign and trade with Lauri to NOP and Ball to CHI and then keep Thad/Sato at least.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#45 » by GoBlue72391 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 pm

ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:So what would you guys do with these four players (Thad, Sato, Aminu, and Lauri) with their salary situation for next season?

It seems more likely than not that Thad and Sato will be here next year while Lauri most likely will not. I’m not sure about Aminu as he has a 10 million player option which I’m pretty sure he is going to accept. Not sure if this would work but possibly a sign and trade with Lauri to NOP and Ball to CHI and then keep Thad/Sato at least.

Thad: It depends on what happens with Lauri. If we lose Lauri we should keep Thad. If we keep Lauri we should cut Thad's partially guaranteed contract.

Sato: Keep, unless we need more money to upgrade the PG position, in which case cut his partially guaranteed contract.

Aminu: Hopefully can be used as an expiring trade chip.

Lauri: It depends on what kind of offers he gets and who we can replace him with. If he gets an offer of $15M or less keep him. Either he grows with Zach/Vuch or we trade him down the line. If he gets more than that then hopefully we can manage a S&T.

Also need to add Theis to this discussion. He's a definite re-sign IMO.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#46 » by MrSparkle » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:46 pm

ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:So what would you guys do with these four players (Thad, Sato, Aminu, and Lauri) with their salary situation for next season?

IMO it's unimaginable that AK waives Thad's and Sato's options. $6m and $5m guaranteed, respectively. Kill $11m of cap by dumping two good players? No way. I saw that as a scenario if they were really bad and needed to cut for a FA target, but you're not getting two rotation players for the $15m they'd create, let alone 2 players.

But I also don't think they're the best use of $25m, considering they will expire, and we're in that golden situation where Zach and Vuc are both on $20m contracts.

I think Bulls explore offers on draft or opening FA night. Thad/Sato provide a variety of things: cap relief, solid two-way skills, locker-room vet presence. Not saying I expect a lotto pick, but there could be an opportunity. I expect that Lauri will not net a desirable return in S&T; mainly because it takes 3 parties to tango in a S&T. More-so a salvage/small-asset trade. So Thad/Sato might be (part) the cost to get a better RFA back.

I can't read the FO's mind; I feel like there's some slither of hope they can turn Lauri into a good player, but I imagine Donovan must want to get away from all the defensive sieves and focus on athletic 3D wings.

Deadline rumors had Gary Trent on AK's radar. That recent 44-pt. explosion might uh, change perceptions, but $15m should do the trick. There's Lonzo, though I think Trent would help more. In either case, IMO Thad, Sato and Coby have to be the trade pieces, because I don't think either team is interested in signing Lauri at $15-20m.

Also curious where Simonovic fits into the plans. Stash? Trade his rights? Sign as a deep-bench project?

A good off-season for me, would be somehow retaining Theis, adding Trent and Lonzo, and then signing an interesting bench piece (McConnell or Holmes). Sounds too ambitious with the pieces we've got, but we'll see. We have some bait.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#47 » by Pax for Prez » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:Moses Brown on the Thunder needs to be on this list

I am willing to entertain playing Troy Brown at pg or give him point shooting guard or point small forward duties.

We might just have our future starting point guard on the roster.

Brown and the Thunder had agreed to a multiyear contract. Perhaps not coincidentally, this came the day after Brown posted 21 points and 23 rebounds against the Boston Celtics.

Terms of the deal were not officially announced, but ESPN’s Royce Young reported it is for $6.8 million over four years. The second and third years of the deal are not guaranteed, according to Young, and there is a team option on the fourth year.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2021/03/29/moses-brown-signs-contract-with-thunder/
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#48 » by Am2626 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
rozzman wrote:What about Mike Conley? He's playing well and has said he'd love to stay in Utah, but maybe he commands more than they are willing to pay. It will depend on what he prioritizes (money or tittle contending) but I think he would be a good fit for the bulls for a 25-30 MPG.

I like the Conley idea but if the Jazz end up in the WCF I can’t see him leaving, unless Utah just won’t pay him anything at all.

Conley Jr would be an ideal Free Agent get for the Bulls over the summer. The road to the Finals is easier in the east and if the Jazz lose early in the playoffs that may push Conley Jr. Bringing Rose back seems more realistic tough.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#49 » by Am2626 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Cabbage bulls wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:

Ball
Horton-Tucker
Schroder
Fournier
Rose
Caruso
Noel
Payton
Forbes
Giles
Trent
Oubre
Theiss
Burks
Winslow
Barton
Dinwiddie
Jones Jr.
Morris (Markief)
Jackson
Bradley (Tony)
Brown (Moses)

It depends on how much Kawhi wants another ring. Falling outs are always possible to. Say the Bulls really start playing well the rest of this season. Kawhi could either stay with 1 allstar in LA, or join 2 all stars in Chicago. The bulls would instantly be a top contending team. I'm not that impressed with the Clippers roster after PG and Kawhi, especially next year. Most of their core is or will be 30+ by then.

Winning in Chicago would be better for Kawhi’s legacy. The Clippers are already perceived as being an elite team while Chicago hasn’t been relevant in a very long time. Don’t see Kawhi really considering the Bulls though.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#50 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 pm

1. Trade Lauri, Coby, Thad, and Sato for draft picks and cap relief.

2. Sign THT (cap space) and Frank Ntilikina (full room exception) for the new starting lineup.

3. Try to bring back Theis and maybe Temple. Re-sign Dotson for dirt cheap over several team controlled years.

Frank
Lavine
THT
PWill
Vuc

Arci or Dotson
Temple
TBJ
Aminu
Theis

3rd string is young guys from the picks you got for the people in step 1.

Way better defense. THT hopefully can be the half-court playmaker.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#51 » by sco » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:1. Trade Lauri, Coby, Thad, and Sato for draft picks and cap relief.

2. Sign THT (cap space) and Frank Ntilikina (full room exception) for the new starting lineup.

3. Try to bring back Theis and maybe Temple. Re-sign Dotson for dirt cheap over several team controlled years.

Frank
Lavine
THT
PWill
Vuc

Arci or Dotson
Temple
TBJ
Aminu
Theis

You had me at trade Lauri and Coby. I wonder if the Bulls will risk irking Zach if they trade Thad. Honestly, PWill is looking like more PF than SF. I like Theis more than Thad going forward because, IMO he is a better pairing with Vuc, but also can give back-up min at C. We need a good starting SF...I wouldn't mind trying Brown in that roll (I think he's under contract one more year). THT feels like a pipe dream that we could pull off a poison-pill signing, but I'd swing for the fences on either him or Ball next offseason. We have no pick and we need to find a guy who takes a big step forward next season.
:clap:
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#52 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:1. Trade Lauri, Coby, Thad, and Sato for draft picks and cap relief.

Frank
Lavine
THT
PWill
Vuc

Arci or Dotson
Temple
TBJ
Aminu
Theis

How has Frank Ntilikina been this season? I see that he's only shooting .359 FG %. I guess his defense is still good? He seems like a worse version of Dunn.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#53 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Am2626 wrote:Winning in Chicago would be better for Kawhi’s legacy. The Clippers are already perceived as being an elite team while Chicago hasn’t been relevant in a very long time. Don’t see Kawhi really considering the Bulls though.

He's won Finals MVPs with two teams already. Location of where he gets more titles will be irrelevant to his legacy. Any additional titles would be at a 3rd city and already be something only accomplished by LeBron previously.

The only thing his legacy really needs is longevity and health. Any more titles is a bonus. Unless you think he's a GOAT candidate or top 5 all time candidate, then he needs to win lots more titles and should go wherever he can load up on them easiest.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#54 » by sco » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Dan Z wrote:

Frank
Lavine
THT
PWill
Vuc

Arci or Dotson
Temple
TBJ
Aminu
Theis

How has Frank Ntilikina been this season? I see that he's only shooting .359 FG %. I guess his defense is still good? He seems like a worse version of Dunn.

I think Thibs decided Frank isn't a PG...sorta like Dunn, IMO. I'd rather just bring back Temple on a vet min deal (or Nwaba or Harrison), but none of them are really PG's. If we want a PG, what about Rose?
:clap:
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#55 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Dan Z wrote:

Frank
Lavine
THT
PWill
Vuc

Arci or Dotson
Temple
TBJ
Aminu
Theis

He's definitely there for the defense as we are in desperate need of a top POA defender.

Offensively, you're shooting for him as 5th option spot up shooter. Key is he's very young still, so I think it works.

Good combination of unproven (and therefore cheap) while still being projectable in a complementary role.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#56 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Am2626 wrote:Winning in Chicago would be better for Kawhi’s legacy. The Clippers are already perceived as being an elite team while Chicago hasn’t been relevant in a very long time. Don’t see Kawhi really considering the Bulls though.

If there is one thing Kawhi has done a stellar job of proving in his career, it's that he doesn't give two sh*ts about his "legacy" and what other people think of him.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#57 » by MGB8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm

I think that the target has to be Devonte Graham, not that I am a huge fan. I think Lonzo has proverbially left the building, while Graham shown more as a passer in the past than he is showing last year. Meanwhile, he does have hotter streaks in shooting suggesting that he *could* evolve into a better shooter. You might have to trade for him, though - RFA and all - maybe Coby White gets shipped out since the Bulls lack draft capital.

Now, if the Hornets keep Graham, maybe Terry Rozier (on an expiring contract) is available... though then we might be talking a Lauri sign and trade.

I do think that Markkanen gets moved in a sign and trade for a player who is on the last year of their deal who maybe isn't a great fit - for a team looking for a stretch 4 type. If there's no FA PG and no sign and trade for Rozier, I could a deal with Minny for Rubio.

If there is a FA PG, then I could see Lauri being moved for either a "better fit" or a reclamation project. On fit, I could see Toronto liking Lauri and sending the older Boucher back for him. If Collins ends up leaving Atlanta for a near max deal, I could see a trade with them to try to rehab Cam Reddish (yes, that's not much value back, but you usually don't get much in these situations). Dallas has been linked to Lauri - and while they have FA money, they also need to resign Hardaway and Richardson (likely to opt out) -- so I could see them sending, say, Finney-Smith and Kleber (I doubt AK takes Powell) back for Markkanen.

I'm sure that Portland would move Derrick Jones Jr. (also on an expiring deal) for Markkanen...
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#58 » by MGB8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:24 pm

On "buy low" candidates, you have Justice Winslow (who would be buying *very* low given his injury issues). Ntikikina has been mentioned and I think he would be a nice get, too. Speaking of the Knicks, both Bullock and Burks are FA and have played very well under Thibs. Burks brings more scoring, Bullock more defense, and both get banged up... but both are also younger than 34 year old FA Temple. Cross the bridge and you have TLC, who has been on the Bulls before and looked much improved last season - but less this season with out a regular role.

The Hornets also have a "buy low" candidate hitting FA - Malik Monk. Hasn't shown much in terms of point guard skills (his game high in assists was his rookie season with 8 - though in 20 minutes off the bench), but he's shown serious improvement this past season.

Oh, and aside from THT (who I don't think will be gettable), you do have living Lakers legend Alex Caruso... who is doing pretty much squat. In Indiana you have the General TJ McConnell - who has become a solid defender but for whatever reason can't consistently shoot from 3 (despite shooting 58 % from 16 ft to the 3 point line)... but I'm not sure that he'd be a "buy low" guy, and I'm also not sure that he's more talented than Archi (were Archi to be given consistent time and developed).
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#59 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm

I don't think Shroeder or Dinwiddie are good fits with Zach. I wonder if the plan might be to trade Zach for a proven PG as that might be the only way to get a real one
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#60 » by ZOMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 pm

If there ever was any goodwill that could have led to Lauri helping the team in the process of moving him to a new destination... I'd say it's all evaporated now with the way he's been embarrassed lately. We'll see if it blows up on AK's face.

Return to Chicago Bulls