ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Re: Tank? 

Post#261 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:02 pm

Judging by Steph's recent comments after the loss to the Hawks, he wants us to win and not to tank. If we miss another post-season, this time with a healthy Curry, you just know that this Summer all ESPN will be talking about is Curry leaving the Warriors and who knows how much of that talk will start to resonate with him. If I were the Warriors I wouldn't want to risk it. Additionally, the only way we would be able to lure any free agents/ stars to demand a trade here is to show that we can win.

So while I might personally prefer that we tank for a better pick, I think we stand to gain a lot by winning as many games as possible as well. The difference in talent between the #8 pick and the #13 pick might be crapshoot as well.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#262 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:53 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:So while I might personally prefer that we tank for a better pick, I think we stand to gain a lot by winning as many games as possible as well. The difference in talent between the #8 pick and the #13 pick might be crapshoot as well.

Well, yes, BUT, as mentioned by azwfan earlier in this thread, the chance of jumping up to the top of the draft dramatically increases from #13 to #8, for a top 4 pick, from a 4.7% chance to a 26.3% chance. Odds are still against it but at #8 you have a decent shot, at #13 you essentially have no chance. #8 would also give you a stronger asset for a trade.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#263 » by Old_Blue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 pm

With Wiseman down, Oubre's now driving the tank.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#264 » by floppymoose » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:52 am

Lee says "I got this".
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,395

Post#265 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:05 am

The priority this season should be to keep everyone healthy going into next season. They are short handed as is. No need to risk anything for a first round playoff to set back the team another year.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#266 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:The priority this season should be to keep everyone healthy going into next season. They are short handed as is. No need to risk anything for a first round playoff to set back the team another year.

Sounds like a philosophical question. Is it better to be very careful but maybe be characterized as living scared or should one live with the words carpe diem in mind and expose oneself more to horrible things happening? There are things that can be learned from going out there and playing. While horrible things can happen on the flip side great things can too. There are other things to accomplish and for some important actors there is limited time. I'm in favor of playing like normal unless it is going to tax the players beyond normal parameters.
SAKURABA216
Starter

Post#267 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:16 pm

If we somehow land 2 top 5 picks this draft then the Wiseman selection will be forgiven lol.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#268 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:11 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:If we somehow land 2 top 5 picks this draft then the Wiseman selection will be forgiven lol.

NBA isn't letting that happen, both GSW and Minnesota picks ending up in the top 5 and GSW getting both.

Lacob would have to have some blackmail on Silver for that to happen.
SAKURABA216
Starter

Post#269 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:23 pm

wco81 wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:If we somehow land 2 top 5 picks this draft then the Wiseman selection will be forgiven lol.

NBA isn't letting that happen, both GSW and Minnesota picks ending up in the top 5 and GSW getting both.

Lacob would have to have some blackmail on Silver for that to happen.

Here are some reasons why the NBA should rig the draft in our favor:

1) The Warriors have Steph who is one of the most marketable stars in the league.
2) The Warriors also paid for their own stadium in San Francisco and are going to need to sell out a lot of home games to pay it off.
3) Two top 5 picks will make us instant contenders whether through a trade package for a star or if we keep the players on the team. No other team will be as positively impacted by getting two top 5 picks as the Warriors will be.

I'm not saying the draft is rigged or isn't, but if it is they need to consider rigging it for us this off-season lol. This is especially true if the Nets play the Lakers in the finals and completely man-handle them.
wco81
RealGM

Post#270 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Can you imagine the hate for GSW on the GB if that happened?

It'd be thermonuclear.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#271 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:The priority this season should be to keep everyone healthy going into next season. They are short handed as is. No need to risk anything for a first round playoff to set back the team another year.

Sounds like a philosophical question. Is it better to be very careful but maybe be characterized as living scared or should one live with the words carpe diem in mind and expose oneself more to horrible things happening? There are things that can be learned from going out there and playing. While horrible things can happen on the flip side great things can too. There are other things to accomplish and for some important actors there is limited time. I'm in favor of playing like normal unless it is going to tax the players beyond normal parameters.

This isn’t philosophy, or an emotional question. It’s math. Carpe diem is going all in on a 2 and 7, hoping to bluff the opponents. It’s just stupid and dumb.

There isn’t really much to gain and a lot to lose whereas next year with Klay, with a fully healthy team there is a chance to go far.

If they don’t secure the health of their players and one of the other core gets injured then that will knock the team out another year, at which any point in trying to sell the Warriors as a destination is over.

It’s about the risk to reward.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#272 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

This isn’t philosophy, or an emotional question. It’s math. Carpe diem is going all in on a 2 and 7, hoping to bluff the opponents. It’s just stupid and dumb.

There isn’t really much to gain and a lot to lose whereas next year with Klay, with a fully healthy team there is a chance to go far.

If they don’t secure the health of their players and one of the other core gets injured then that will knock the team out another year, at which any point in trying to sell the Warriors as a destination is over.

One can look at it another way: How many years are there in Curry's prime left? 4 years? 2 years? If that's the case you fold now and you just took away 25-50% of the meaningful basketball Steph has left to play. Chances for the Warriors to win a championship this season are incredibly slim but Curry is still adding meaningfully to his legacy by showing what he can do in adverse conditions without Klay and carrying a team that has no business thinking of the playoffs without him.

This is an example of not supporting Curry.
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#273 » by Old_Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm

WarriorGM wrote:This is an example of not supporting Curry.

Is it not about time that we all raised a toast to WarriorGM? He is clearly Curry's biggest and best athletic supporter.

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#274 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:This is an example of not supporting Curry.

Is it not about time that we all raised a toast to WarriorGM? He is clearly Curry's biggest and best athletic supporter.

From some of the comments some of you guys have been around with the team for a looooong time. You've seen it all before. But no you treat a guy like Curry differently. It is not the same old same old.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#275 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

One can look at it another way: How many years are there in Curry's prime left? 4 years? 2 years? If that's the case you fold now and you just took away 25-50% of the meaningful basketball Steph has left to play. Chances for the Warriors to win a championship this season are incredibly slim but Curry is still adding meaningfully to his legacy by showing what he can do in adverse conditions without Klay and carrying a team that has no business thinking of the playoffs without him.

This is an example of not supporting Curry.

I support the Warriors first and am a Curry fan not a Curry stan. He’s already had a blessed career more than he expected when he came into the league with his ankles. At this point he is playing with house money.

Carrying bums to the playoffs isn’t doing any favors for him. Kobe did it, but it didn’t mean anything. What really mattered was when they built the team up and played against the Celtics in the finals for his final run. The real legacy is made in the finals.

The way I see if the GOAT can take two years off for baseball, it wouldn’t hurt the GOATShooter to do the same. The team should be preparing for their final run next year like Kobe and Jordan’s teams did.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#276 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:I support the Warriors first and am a Curry fan not a Curry stan. He’s already had a blessed career more than he expected when he came into the league with his ankles. At this point he is playing with house money.

Carrying bums to the playoffs isn’t doing any favors for him. Kobe did it, but it didn’t mean anything. What really mattered was when they built the team up and played against the Celtics in the finals for his final run. The real legacy is made in the finals.

The way I see if the GOAT can take two years off for baseball, it wouldn’t hurt the GOATShooter to do the same. The team should be preparing for their final run next year like Kobe and Jordan’s teams did.

As I said this is a case of of not supporting Curry sufficiently. Your first paragraph could be read as "Curry is lucky to have the career he had and should be content with it."

Curry can already be argued as a top 10 all-time basketball great—and he is still in his prime ready to make even more noise. He is not just any player. I might find your attitude understandable even with such great players as Wade or Dirk. But not with Curry. With him every stage of his career will be meticulously scrutinized. Haven't you noticed that Kobe's years playing with scrubs seem to be brought up just as often as his championship years with Gasol? Sure seems like it on the General Board. So this thing about real legacies only being made in the finals rings false. I wonder what you think of the 73-win season? Did that mean nothing?

Have you watched Game of Zones? Did you see their portrayal of the Spurs as similar to The Others? That's the kind of sense I'm starting to get now.

If this is the real underlying attitude that the Warriors organization and its fans have, Curry should leave. Because it's starting to look to me like not only isn't the Warriors collective not supporting him sufficiently, it's more intent on burnishing its own image at Steph's expense and making him out to be just another cog in the Warriors wheel.
wco81
RealGM

Post#277 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Well the Curry burst for the past 10 games has brought the team back to .500, #9 in the WC and #14 in the draft position.

http://www.tankathon.com

But #15 and #16 are not out of reach at all as GSW has the same record, 28-28, as #16 Miami and just ahead of #15 Charlotte which is 27-28.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#278 » by Money_ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Next season isn't starting fresh with no injuries. Klay's and Wiseman's injuries are already effecting the 21/2022 season in that neither one will be coming in at 100% and will have to build into it for the first couple of months. Will Wiseman miss another training camp?
If they have the desire, they might as well make a go of it this season, even if it means they are eliminated in the first round. They'll need Vets, not 20 year old rookies, no matter how good the rooks are.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#279 » by Onus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 pm

After the top 5 the rest is pretty much a crap shoot. The floor for most of them are out of the league.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#280 » by Old_Blue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Steph is really going out of his way to convey our first round pick to OKC. :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors