Kevin Ollie Hired As Head Coach Of Overtime Elite

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Ollie Hired As Head Coach Of Overtime Elite 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Kevin Ollie has been hired as head coach and director of player development for the Overtime Elite, a new professional basketball league for top prospects between the ages of 16 and 18.

"I'm ready to get back to what I was born to do: empowering and encouraging and supporting young people, and helping them grow," Ollie said in a statement. "There's no better place for me to do that than OTE, an extraordinary league for extraordinary young men. I consider it my mission to help these elite athletes realize their dreams."

Ollie played in the NBA and won a National Championship as head coach of UConn.

The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program.

These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Re: Kevin Ollie Hired As Head Coach Of Overtime Elite 

Post#2 » by Scalabrine » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 pm

I've met Ollie several times when he would go speak at the 76ers basketball camp back when I was a kid and he was still player. He's a great guy and he truly does have a passion for teaching and helping kids grow. I think this is a great hire for all involved.
Go Knicks!
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,597

Post#3 » by dc » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:26 pm

Everytime I think of Ollie, I think how he should've struck when the iron was hot and taken an NBA job after winning that National Title.

A couple subpar seasons later, that was it for his NBA HC prospects.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#4 » by Red8911 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm

This is the league that is needed for young players to develop and make the NBA. Forget college that is a waste of time for them.

Return to Wiretap Discussion