Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#321 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:33 pm

flow wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Zags soooo goood they made a top 5 lock in the NBA draft look weak and ineffective which he isnt at all normally

Guess Oregon must be really good, too.

He looked bad against Zags.
He was fine against Ducks 10 and 8 is fine and the 6 assists is better than good hence my point how good the Zags are
sure he had 17 points in that one but they got crushed
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#322 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:35 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:He has some special movement skills for his size, actually reminds me of Nicolas Claxton but thats probably recency bias. But 20/21 level Claxton with an ideal offensive skillset for a 2021 big man, which Mobley has, is arguably a #1 pick.

I had Claxton 11 on my board that year. So it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see Mobley at 1. Pretty sure I'll have Cade #1, but they're in the same tier to me. Of course, I had Luka and JJJ in the same tier, and that was probably a mistake, although still have high hopes for JJJ when he returns one day.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#323 » by God Squad » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:48 am

EvanZ wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:He has some special movement skills for his size, actually reminds me of Nicolas Claxton but thats probably recency bias. But 20/21 level Claxton with an ideal offensive skillset for a 2021 big man, which Mobley has, is arguably a #1 pick.

I had Claxton 11 on my board that year. So it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see Mobley at 1. Pretty sure I'll have Cade #1, but they're in the same tier to me. Of course, I had Luka and JJJ in the same tier, and that was probably a mistake, although still have high hopes for JJJ when he returns one day.

I don't think it's a stretch to have Mobley in the same Tier as Cade. I'm also wrestling with putting Green in the tier also.
Deathray
Junior
And1: 110

Post#324 » by Deathray » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm

What about his brother Isaiah? He may not have the top tier athleticism but he's tall, smooth and shoots over 40% from 3. He hasn't made a decision on declaring yet but he seems like a very solid 2nd round pick and wouldn't surprise me if he became a legit NBA contributor.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#325 » by MemphisX » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 pm

God Squad wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I don't think it's a stretch to have Mobley in the same Tier as Cade. I'm also wrestling with putting Green in the tier also.

That is my top tier. I think I could justify any of them going #1 depending on the team drafting. Still not sure why people have so much angst about Green. He has shown an ability to play with other big scorers and big time players. Seems like he is two NBA offseasons away from being a nightmare to deal with...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Bucks4005
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#326 » by Bucks4005 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:45 am

My concern with Mobley is can he actually play C? At 215, I seriously doubt his ability to last a full season or even effectively defend bigger Cs in the NBA. And as a PF, is he a good enough shooter? I mean, he’s not a great shooter. Has potential, but by no means a guarantee. And if he’s simply a primarily interior scoring PF whose more rim defense focused than perimeter, does that really fit every team?

I,ean, if he can gain good weight, he’s a good long term C prospect. But there have been plenty of guys who have tried and failed to gain weight at C to be able to use that weight in a way that helps their game.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#327 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 am

Bucks4005 wrote:My concern with Mobley is can he actually play C? At 215, I seriously doubt his ability to last a full season or even effectively defend bigger Cs in the NBA. And as a PF, is he a good enough shooter? I mean, he’s not a great shooter. Has potential, but by no means a guarantee. And if he’s simply a primarily interior scoring PF whose more rim defense focused than perimeter, does that really fit every team?

I,ean, if he can gain good weight, he’s a good long term C prospect. But there have been plenty of guys who have tried and failed to gain weight at C to be able to use that weight in a way that helps their game.

I mean Christian Wood weighs that and played Center for us scoring just fine against all the big guys.

Mobley will be fine but definitely would like to see him bulk up.
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#328 » by KobesScarf » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Mosley is absolutely NOT a better prospect than Ayton
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#329 » by EMG518 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:09 pm

KobesScarf wrote:Mosley is absolutely NOT a better prospect than Ayton

He absolutely IS a better prospect than Ayton.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#330 » by TheBunk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:32 am

If we're using like a 20-80 baseball scale, Ayton's Ball IQ is probably a 50 to Mobley's 80
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#331 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:21 am

Agreed. Isaiah Mosley is not a better prospect than Ayton.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#332 » by CptCrunch » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 am

Ayton has the IQ of a molerat. But Ayton is turning out to be better than I expected. Ayton's development ceiling is limited because of it.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#333 » by God Squad » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am

EvanZ wrote:

Agreed. Isaiah Mosley is not a better prospect than Ayton.

I think we all can agree on this lol
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,928

Post#334 » by tundraknight » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 am

Mobley would been a perfect fit on the Hornets.

Unfortunately for Charlotte they didn’t get as lucky as they did in the previous lottery when they got Lamelo in the Top 3.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#335 » by God Squad » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:05 am

tundraknight wrote:Mobley would been a perfect fit on the Hornets.

Unfortunately for Charlotte they didn’t get as lucky as they did in the previous lottery when they got Lamelo in the Top 3.

lol. Mobley is a perfect fit on damn near every team. Sorry Charlotte fans.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#336 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:16 pm

So you want to use your number 2 overall for the next Jaren Jackson or Evan Mobley?

Look at the playoffs. This league is run by guards and wings. You don’t pass up Cade or Green for Mobley. It’s a career suicide for any GM. It would be similar to when GMs select Jackson and Ayton over Trae and Doncic.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#337 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:24 pm

A player cant be as good as knowing his own limitations as Ayton does and have as low a BBall IQ as some are arguing. He is a much better basketball mind that people are arguing.

It may not seem like it, but rolling to the hoop as effectively as he does isnt just being fast and strong. That takes subtle knowledge of how to get open and such.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#338 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:36 am

Bucks4005 wrote:My concern with Mobley is can he actually play C? At 215, I seriously doubt his ability to last a full season or even effectively defend bigger Cs in the NBA. And as a PF, is he a good enough shooter? I mean, he’s not a great shooter. Has potential, but by no means a guarantee. And if he’s simply a primarily interior scoring PF whose more rim defense focused than perimeter, does that really fit every team?

You could always play him at PF against Valanciunas, Embiid, Jokic, Ayton, and C vs the rest of the league.

There really aren't that many big physical centres that are skilled and able to overpower smaller players on offense
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#339 » by bon » Sat Jul 3, 2021 6:47 am

76ciology wrote:So you want to use your number 2 overall for the next Jaren Jackson or Evan Mobley?

Look at the playoffs. This league is run by guards and wings. You don’t pass up Cade or Green for Mobley. It’s a career suicide for any GM. It would be similar to when GMs select Jackson and Ayton over Trae and Doncic.

I think those GMs are doing just fine.

What really is "career suicide" is a GM making a selection based off what's "trendy" in the league instead of evaluating talent.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#340 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat Jul 3, 2021 3:10 pm

bon wrote:
76ciology wrote:So you want to use your number 2 overall for the next Jaren Jackson or Evan Mobley?

I think those GMs are doing just fine.

What really is "career suicide" is a GM making a selection based off what's "trendy" in the league instead of evaluating talent.

How many athletic big men are there who have skill and high BBIQ. Embiid and AD are the only ones I can think of, although AD's BBIQ is probably only above average rather than high. The other high BBIQ, high skill bigs are Sabonis and Jokic and neither have them could be considered athletic.

The reason we don't see a bunch of bigs dominating is because there just aren't that many of them, so to find an athletic one with skill and BBIQ is extremely rare.

I guess you could consider Giannis and Durant as well in that category, Giannis can't shoot and Durant plays small with his rebounding and post defending

Return to NBA Draft