2021-2022 roster

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Re: 2021-2022 roster 

Post#21 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:34 pm

So Otto Porter Jr. may be bought out.

Would be nice to have but team isn't trying to rack up too many wins this season, as shown by inaction at the trade deadline.

Would be a nice piece for next year. He won't get anywhere near the $27 million he's making this season but can bought-out players come with Bird rights?

Probably not.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#22 » by and1GS » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 pm

TB wrote:
and1GS wrote:Oubre as a defensive lineup option gives me a headache. I don't know why you guys think he's a good defender. Disruptive, sure. But he is poor at switching and overall team defense.

I think Oubre has great defensive moments. But agree that he makes alot of awareness mistakes.

I personally wanted to trade him yesterday, but now that he's on the roster, i'm hoping the rest of the season just continues to be a learning experience for him. At that point, I think the warriors should try to retain him to keep the salary slot. Plus, I think he can be a plus as a 6th man type getting 25 minutes or so a game.

The problem with not trading him is that if he gets offers of 20m, thats a massive overpay for what he provides. And at that point we should not sign him, and essentially wasted the opportunity to get an asset for him. But I think his value is pretty low around the league, and we could probably sign him for about what he makes now.

Mostly agree. Great post.

Re the sixth man bit...he's not ideal for us, but I think what you're getting at is he's just 'what we've got.' So we have to make it work somehow and optimize a flawed player who does have legitimate talent/athletic tools.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#23 » by HiRez » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 pm

TB wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't hate our roster for next year even if we make virtually no moves.

Just going on current standings and the odds of where they land:
5th - Kuminga the heavy favorite to be the 5th pick
13th - lots of options, but i'm gonna throw in Davion Mitchell because I love his game

Steph / Nico / Mitchell
Klay / Poole / Jessup
Wiggins / Kuminga / Lee
Dray / Oubre / JTA
Wiseman / Looney / Paschall

Would have the MLE and some chances at upgrading the backup big spot or backup PG spot if possible... but the hope is Nico, Poole, Oubre, Wiseman show enough the rest of the year where we feel good with them in these rotation spots.

I guess it depends what your goals and expectations are. An improvement on this year? Entertaining? Playoff team? No doubt. Championship roster though? I don't think so.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#24 » by cpower » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 pm

HiRez wrote:
TB wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't hate our roster for next year even if we make virtually no moves.

13th - lots of options, but i'm gonna throw in Davion Mitchell because I love his game

Steph / Nico / Mitchell
Klay / Poole / Jessup
Wiggins / Kuminga / Lee
Dray / Oubre / JTA

Would have the MLE and some chances at upgrading the backup big spot or backup PG spot if possible... but the hope is Nico, Poole, Oubre, Wiseman show enough the rest of the year where we feel good with them in these rotation spots.

I guess it depends what your goals and expectations are. An improvement on this year? Entertaining? Playoff team? No doubt. Championship roster though? I don't think so.

first round exit . wiseman as C lol Nico Poole Oubre as main bench lol
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#25 » by vetmin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 am

cpower wrote:
HiRez wrote:

Steph / Nico / Mitchell
Klay / Poole / Jessup
Wiggins / Kuminga / Lee
Dray / Oubre / JTA

I’m an optimist, so I’d say swept or gentleman-swept in the 2nd round, but yeah, not even a puncher’s chance for a title with that roster.

My prescription for next season would be to just accept that Oubre is your starting SF moving forward and to package Wiggins with positive assets (main options are Wiseman and MIN & GS 2021 FRPs) to improve the roster. Top targets (aside from bona fide Beal-quality, Paul George-quality All Stars) should be Siakam / Sabonis + good role player from their respective teams, or Turner + Brogdon, for a GS package centered on Wiseman + one of the picks (probably MIN). If no big names are available, then you use the GS pick + one of Wiseman / MIN pick to turn Wiggins’s salary into legit 6th & 7th men.

Outside of Beal, etc., ideally you get Siakam or Sabonis, thus providing enough talent that Oubre is your worst starter (that or being a 6th man is his ideal role).
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#26 » by cpower » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 am

vetmin wrote:
cpower wrote:
HiRez wrote:I guess it depends what your goals and expectations are. An improvement on this year? Entertaining? Playoff team? No doubt. Championship roster though? I don't think so.

I’m an optimist, so I’d say swept or gentleman-swept in the 2nd round, but yeah, not even a puncher’s chance for a title with that roster.

My prescription for next season would be to just accept that Oubre is your starting SF moving forward and to package Wiggins with positive assets (main options are Wiseman and MIN & GS 2021 FRPs) to improve the roster. Top targets (aside from bona fide Beal-quality, Paul George-quality All Stars) should be Siakam / Sabonis + good role player from their respective teams, or Turner + Brogdon, for a GS package centered on Wiseman + one of the picks (probably MIN). If no big names are available, then you use the GS pick + one of Wiseman / MIN pick to turn Wiggins’s salary into legit 6th & 7th men.

Outside of Beal, etc., ideally you get Siakam or Sabonis, thus providing enough talent that Oubre is your worst starter (that or being a 6th man is his ideal role).

our windows is closing faster than a lot of people may think. problem is we are creating uncertainties left and right with Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman, this is almost against what a contender will do..... teams like Lakers, 76ers and Bucks are picking good solid vets to surround their stars...our approach will never work ...ever
wco81
RealGM

Post#27 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:40 am

I don't know how many teams have cap space but everyone wants a wing who can score a bit.

So someone will offer KO money to be a starter.

Only way Warriors pay him starter money is if Klay's rehab isn't going well and we don't get the Minny pick in the 2021 draft.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Post#28 » by TB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:31 pm

HiRez wrote:

Steph / Nico / Mitchell
Klay / Poole / Jessup
Wiggins / Kuminga / Lee
Dray / Oubre / JTA

Ya this is an interesting point. I think the reality is that if we are going the route of keeping Wiseman and the Minny Pick (in this case Kuminga), you aren't going to get a roster that on paper is a title favorite. Keeping those 2 players means we are most likely a title contender when they are good players, like 2 years from now.

If you want a title favorite on paper, going to need to trade those 2 assets for a star. Outside of that you are getting what we have now and maybe a lucky MLE pickup.
wco81
RealGM

Post#29 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:52 pm

Kuminga sounds like another project. Great physical and athletic attributes but does he have the skills?

They need a player who is "ready." Can't imagine going through another season making excuses for the rookie being only 19 years old or whatever.

Wiseman will still be learning next season and then they have to try to give 20 more minutes to a learning rookie? Especially bad if they have another lotto pick so they would have to find minutes for 3 young players.

Yeah trade the picks and Wiseman.
BayWarrior
Bench Warmer
And1: 688

Post#30 » by BayWarrior » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Of all the teams in the league I think the Bulls would be the best trade partner with GS for Wiggins if an Oubre signing for around 18m is an option. While I think Wiggins is better than Oubre, he isn't 10m better. Chicago would do a 2 for 1 trade and have the younger Wiggins expiring the following year while GS will have two expiring Vets to help with the Playoff Push.

Wiggins for Satoransky and Thad Young

Steph / Poole / Nico
Klay / Satoransky / Jessup
Oubre / Minny Pick / JTA
Dray / Thad Young / Paschall
Wiseman / Looney
wco81
RealGM

Post#31 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 am

So looking more and more likely that GSW will at least have its own FRP, which could be anywhere from #10-15 say.

And if the ping pong balls go in their favor, maybe a #4 or #5 pick.

There's a good chance that next year they will have two FRPs in addition to Wiseman on the roster. You have to find at least 15-20 minutes for each of them.

At that point, the Warriors become a development team, not a contender, unless one of them becomes starter-level immediately.

Fans won't admit it but their window is closed shut. Probably when Klay went down in the 2019 Finals, that was it but we're not willing to admit it.

Yes we could trade the picks and Wiseman but then again, we thought they could trade down in the last draft and that didn't happen.

Or we thought they could make some moves at the trade deadline and that didn't happen.

Or we thought we'd get good players on buyout because of the DPE and that didn't happen.

Face it, it's over until they can prove otherwise. You have to assume they're a marginal playoffs team at best, or a treadmill team if they're trying to get in at 7-10 in the WC. Until they can draft and develop another generational talent, GSW is back to being at best a middling franchise.

So they better draft with the thought of getting the best players possible for the long-term future, not the best fit for the Curry/Klay/Draymond core. That core is done, because they need help that the franchise can't seem to get for them.

They haven't shown that they can pull off a big trade any more. Teams are going to try to bend them over like get the two possible FRPs this year and an FRP every other year until the end of the decade, probably for some volume shooter who isn't good enough to lift the team out of mediocrity.

Sick of marginal NBA players like Lee, Mulder, Poole? Better get used to them, because they like them young and cheap. Role players that is.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#32 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:55 am

wco81 wrote:So looking more and more likely that GSW will at least have its own FRP, which could be anywhere from #10-15 say.

And if the ping pong balls go in their favor, maybe a #4 or #5 pick.

There's a good chance that next year they will have two FRPs in addition to Wiseman on the roster. You have to find at least 15-20 minutes for each of them.

At that point, the Warriors become a development team, not a contender, unless one of them becomes starter-level immediately.

Fans won't admit it but their window is closed shut. Probably when Klay went down in the 2019 Finals, that was it but we're not willing to admit it.

Yes we could trade the picks and Wiseman but then again, we thought they could trade down in the last draft and that didn't happen.

Or we thought they could make some moves at the trade deadline and that didn't happen.

Or we thought we'd get good players on buyout because of the DPE and that didn't happen.

Face it, it's over until they can prove otherwise. You have to assume they're a marginal playoffs team at best, or a treadmill team if they're trying to get in at 7-10 in the WC. Until they can draft and develop another generational talent, GSW is back to being at best a middling franchise.

So they better draft with the thought of getting the best players possible for the long-term future, not the best fit for the Curry/Klay/Draymond core. That core is done, because they need help that the franchise can't seem to get for them.

They haven't shown that they can pull off a big trade any more. Teams are going to try to bend them over like get the two possible FRPs this year and an FRP every other year until the end of the decade, probably for some volume shooter who isn't good enough to lift the team out of mediocrity.

Sick of marginal NBA players like Lee, Mulder, Poole? Better get used to them, because they like them young and cheap. Role players that is.

Does Lacob have any more sons for the front office? Jerry West has a couple more he could spare. What about Canon Curry, he knows his abc's yet. That should make him qualified.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#33 » by jaymo123 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:00 am

Keep only Steph, Klay, Looney, Wiseman, and Wiggins. Trade and/or let everyone else leave. I'd rather have James Johnson on the cheap in Draymond's role. That is how much disappointment i have in Draymond.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm

jaymo123 wrote:Keep only Steph, Klay, Looney, Wiseman, and Wiggins. Trade and/or let everyone else leave. I'd rather have James Johnson on the cheap in Draymond's role. That is how much disappointment i have in Draymond.

lol @ Wiseman being a keeper but not Dray.

this board has officially gone insane. no wonder ya'll are happy with Myers.
j97gs
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by j97gs » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Warriors Roster 21/22:
Starting 5:
Curry, Thompson, Green, Wiggins, Wiseman

6-10:

Poole, Looney, Lee, Bazemore? + Free Agent or Draft

11-15:

Paschall, Mannion, JTA, Jessup + Draft

Smailagic should be terminated
Looks like Oubre made his decision
Mulder—Trade?

If we can sign a good (Free Agent) Small Forward, a reliable Point Guard behind Curry and a talented Player behind Draymond, the Team looks quite well.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#36 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm

this is what clyde would do (yes I am speaking in 3rd person)

1) trade Wiseman for Wizards' 2022 first + Isaac Bonga (offer protections as necessary, if doesn't convery it's a 23)

2) take Evan Mobley with the Minny pick (assuming we keep the pick and Mobley is available, Suggs would be second option)

3) take Jaden Springer with our own pick

4) try to grab a guy like Watford or Lewis with a 2nd rounder if they are available, guys that can contribute a little more quickly.

5) use MLE on a guy like Bullock to bring in a bit more shooting off bench (he probably gets higher, but hey it's a dream scenario)

go into the season with:

Steph / Springer
Klay / Bullock / Poole
Wiggy / Bonga / JTA?
Dray / Paschall / Watford?
Mobley / Loon / Chriss?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#37 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:39 pm

Man, for that to happen we might hope for Mobley to be available at 4. That's impossible, IMO.

Also, Springer with a pick in the 12/14 range might be impossible as well. Heck, even if we push tanking hard from now on, we might get only the 9th pick, as all the other teams above Toronto are on full-on tank mode.
TB
General Manager

Post#38 » by TB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

A couple things have changed since my first 2022 roster guess:

1) I dont think wiseman/minny pick have the value to get what Bob/Kerr would want (a superstar)
2) I don't really want Oubre even at a good price (unless he starts to show good metrics with Steph)

So, my new guess at a 2021-2022 roster would be (and im going with what I consider realistic not big dreams):

Draft -
Minny Pick - odds have us getting the 5th pick, so i'm penciling in Kuminga. Anything else would be going against the likely scenario.
Our Pick - going off the mocks currently out, I love that Mitchell, Springer, Bouknight all show up here and there. I'll go Springer who i'm seeing mocked the lowest currently on Tankathon.
2nd Round - Trade Paschall for a pick and grab Queta or Bassey

MLE - we aren't going to get an ibaka/batum/etc... but i think we go for a shooter like Bullock, Dougie, Snell, etc... and if that doesn't happen I see us going for a swiss army knife like Valentine. I'm penciling in Valentine since i bet the shooters cost too much.

Vet Min - Baze, JTA, Lee

2way - Jessup and a rookie that falls... lets dream big and say Lewis

Steph / Springer / Nico
Klay / Poole / Lee / Lewis
Wiggins / Valentine / Baze / Jessup
Dray / Kuminga / JTA
Looney / Wiseman / Queta

To me thats a definite playoff team that would be scary to face in the playoffs. If Wiseman/Poole make a substantial jump, and Klay ends the season back to health... its a top 4 seed IMO.

Also, maybe its wishful thinking, but if we are going the route of staying competitive while also rebuilding... Springer, Poole, Jessup, Kuminga, Wiseman is a pretty solid potential lineup for the years of aging Steph/Klay/Dray.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#39 » by killmongrel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:02 pm

TB wrote:A couple things have changed since my first 2022 roster guess:

1) I dont think wiseman/minny pick have the value to get what Bob/Kerr would want (a superstar)
2) I don't really want Oubre even at a good price (unless he starts to show good metrics with Steph)

So, my new guess at a 2021-2022 roster would be (and im going with what I consider realistic not big dreams):

Draft -
Minny Pick - odds have us getting the 5th pick, so i'm penciling in Kuminga. Anything else would be going against the likely scenario.
Our Pick - going off the mocks currently out, I love that Mitchell, Springer, Bouknight all show up here and there. I'll go Springer who i'm seeing mocked the lowest currently on Tankathon.
2nd Round - Trade Paschall for a pick and grab Queta or Bassey

MLE - we aren't going to get an ibaka/batum/etc... but i think we go for a shooter like Bullock, Dougie, Snell, etc... and if that doesn't happen I see us going for a swiss army knife like Valentine. I'm penciling in Valentine since i bet the shooters cost too much.

Vet Min - Baze, JTA, Lee

2way - Jessup and a rookie that falls... lets dream big and say Lewis

Steph / Springer / Nico
Klay / Poole / Lee / Lewis
Wiggins / Valentine / Baze / Jessup
Dray / Kuminga / JTA
Looney / Wiseman / Queta

To me thats a definite playoff team that would be scary to face in the playoffs. If Wiseman/Poole make a substantial jump, and Klay ends the season back to health... its a top 4 seed IMO.

Also, maybe its wishful thinking, but if we are going the route of staying competitive while also rebuilding... Springer, Poole, Jessup, Kuminga, Wiseman is a pretty solid potential lineup for the years of aging Steph/Klay/Dray.
Gotta make more significant moves than just use our draft picks and run the same team we had this year. Because I don't want Oubre on this team next season, the trickiest thing we have to do is acquire a player via the MLE or draft somebody who can start with Steph, Wiggins, Draymond, and Wiseman. Also gotta hope that Wiseman takes a leap forward to be a viable starter or at least contributor.

Maybe get a TPE for Oubre. Lee has another year on his deal so we don't have to worry about him. He along with JTA, Mulder, Jessup, Mannion, Chriss, and maybe GP2 could fight for spots in training camp.

But like I said, we have to consolidate assets to acquire talent. Steph is a super star. Wiggins is a good third option. Draymond is still a good role player and important cog in the machine. But if we are going to compete next year, we need a second option. If Wiseman ain't it yet, then we need somebody until Klay gets healthy. This is the situation we're in. I don't even think of Klay as a starter until he proves he can take the rust off in time. Until then, we have to have the mindset that he isn't. So there's the task for the FO.

So if we go into next season without acquiring somebody better than Oubre to add to our roster, we better pray that Wiseman has become a stud and/or our lottery pick already is.
TB
General Manager

Post#40 » by TB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:13 pm

^ I hear ya, but as I mentioned, I dont think Wiseman/Minny pick gets us that level of a player. Now if a Beal or Simmons level player becomes available, sure we can offer Wiggins, Wiseman, Minny Pick, multiple future 1sts... and I'd support that. But at this point I don't see it as likely. This can all change based on playoff performances, but we said that last year and we didn't land anyone...

As for getting a starter level player for MLE or our draft... I don't see it with the tax level MLE. We need to hit on a good role player. As for the draft, always go BPA and not someone that can start now. Thats how you'd end up with a Kispert over Kuminga or Duarte over Springer (i like Kispert and Duarte btw).

Return to Golden State Warriors