Image ImageImage Image

Daniel Theis Needs To Start

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,197

Daniel Theis Needs To Start 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:03 pm

It has been mentioned by multiple people in various threads, but to me it's abundantly clear that Daniel Theis needs to start and have a bigger role on this team. The reasonings are as such:

1.) He's the best rim protector on our team and can cover up Vuc's mobility issues on defensive rotations.

2.) He's a better shooter than Thad, and thus provides more spacing.

3.) The chemistry between he and Zach is pretty clear, so it benefits them both to be on the court together as much as possible.

4.) He's arguably the only energy player on the roster, and theoretically gets us off to better starts.

5.) Bringing Thad off the bench allows us to go back to using him as an offensive hub, and lessens our backup PG issues since he can help create offense.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,589

Re: Daniel Theis Needs To Start 

Post#2 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Agree. I have always thought of Theis as a glue PF. Boston played him out of position because it didn't have a true center. But we do, and I think that Theis would serve as a fine complement to Vuce.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#3 » by ZOMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:It has been mentioned by multiple people in various threads, but to me it's abundantly clear that Daniel Theis needs to start and have a bigger role on this team. The reasonings are as such:

1.) He's the best rim protector on defense and can cover up Vuc's mobility issues on rotations.

3.) The chemistry between he and Zach is pretty clear, so it benefits them both to be on the court together as much as possible.

4.) He's arguably the only energy player on the roster, theoretically gets us off to better starts.

5.) Bringing Thad off the bench allows us to go back to using him as an offensive hub, and lessens our backup PG issues since he can help create offense.

Funnily enough, both Thad and Theis are averaging 22% from the perimeter. They both suck balls.

For his career, Theis is slightly "better" at 34%... but most teams don't consider him any kind of threat. That's why he's getting all these wide open shots he keeps bricking.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#4 » by sco » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 pm

I do hope that our recent losing prompts this change. I've been calling for it since day 1. Theis is a way better defender than Thad, which should be enough. But our bench has really sucked of late. I think Thad will help Lauri get more easy shots. I'd really like to move Sato to the bench because he has great chemistry with Thad, which made for very efficient offense, but it also will eliminate the Coby at PG problem. We should just let Zach play PG and start Brown to further bolster the defense.
:clap:
rocbullsfan
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#5 » by rocbullsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Don’t really agree but I guess why not. I’ve thought since the trade Lauri has been totally misused. I think it’s been obvious that for in order for the bulls to make a playoff push they need Lauri being that third weapon on offense and he needs to start. Let Thad and theis play on the second unit and focus on using Thad on the second line as the point forward. At the end of the game you can make a decision on which pf to match with Vuc depending on what they need. Seems like the fo has moved on from Lauri which is fine but it’s killing the chances of making a playoff push. I truly believe the only way this team makes a run is with Lauri starting and Contributing on the offense side of the game.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 pm

ZOMG wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:It has been mentioned by multiple people in various threads, but to me it's abundantly clear that Daniel Theis needs to start and have a bigger role on this team. The reasonings are as such:

1.) He's the best rim protector on defense and can cover up Vuc's mobility issues on rotations.

4.) He's arguably the only energy player on the roster, theoretically gets us off to better starts.

Funnily enough, both Thad and Theis are averaging 22% from the perimeter. They both suck balls.

For his career, Theis is slightly "better" at 34%... but most teams don't consider him any kind of threat. That's why he's getting all these wide open shots he keeps bricking.

He's shooting 33% on the season. Not lights out, but an upgrade over Young for sure.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#7 » by ZOMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

He's shooting 33% on the season. Not lights out, but an upgrade over Young for sure.

Yeah well, maybe there was something in the water in Boston that made him shoot 34.7%. But in Chicago, he's at 22%. On the same volume, and mostly wide open.

Neither of these guys can spread the floor in a meaningful way.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,103

Post#8 » by cool007 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 pm

IMO, Theis and Brown Jr both needs to start in place for Thad and PWill.

I want Sato on the bench too the way he has been sucking so badly but we just have no choice.

Thad coming off the bench, the offense should go throgh him and PWill and Lauri should be cutting and Coby and Valentine should be spotting up for 3s.

We all see it but the coach isn't is what making me furious. Losing faith in Billy fast.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 pm

ZOMG wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Yeah well, maybe there was something in the water in Boston that made him shoot 34.7%. But in Chicago, he's at 22%. On the same volume, and mostly wide open.

It's a small sample size in Chicago after a trade, so I don't think those shooting percentages matter yet. I'm not claiming that he's Larry Bird out there, but I do think that he brings a dyanmic to the position that Thad doesn't. But if you disagree, that's fine. His shooting isn't the main reason to make a lineup change.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#10 » by dougthonus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm

I think this is a good thing to try. Better than our other forum idea of Arc over Coby (sorry Duck), though like Arc over Coby, I don't expect a big difference.

We're moving deck chairs on the titanic here.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#11 » by CobyWhite0 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

It's a small sample size in Chicago after a trade, so I don't think those shooting percentages matter yet. I'm not claiming that he's Larry Bird out there, but I do think that he brings a dyanmic to the position that Thad doesn't. But if you disagree, that's fine. His shooting isn't the main reason to make a lineup change.

Theis was a 34.5% 3-point shooter in 236 career NBA games when he was traded to Chicago. Who the hell cares if he's only 4/18 in career games 237 thru 244. It seems quite ridiculous to even bring it up, but maybe that's just me?

But like you said, he wouldn't be starting because he's the 2nd coming of Larry Legend from behind the arc. His defense, shot-blocking and energy are why BD would make the move.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,378

Post#12 » by drosestruts » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 pm

I agree on starting Theis.

I don't agree on starting Brown.

I've posted in other threads about starting Archi but I'm not sure that's the missing ingredient either. Starting Temple however could be.

Temple / LaVine / Williams / Theis / Vuc

Sato / White / Brown / Young / Markkanen

Any news on when Temple is due back?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#13 » by coldfish » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:06 pm

I think the bigger issue is that Thad and Vuc should not play together. Having two guys trying to play from the middle has screwed up the offense royally.

You have two off ball big men (Theis and Lauri) and two on ball big men (Thad and Vuc). They should be paired accordingly to get back to the offense that was successful before.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#14 » by FriedRise » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 pm

How are Theis' numbers with the starters? Especially with Zach and Vooch? I don't know how to look for these things.

Not sure where he is most comfortable, but size-wise he seems like a PF to me so it makes perfect sense. Boston's been using him as a C though, so there's that caveat that we might be starting 2 centers in a league where everyone's going smaller (and somehow still abuse teams with size).

I also like pairing Thad with Lauri as it allows that second unit to play with a playmaker that is not Coby. It's a win-win.
Cabbage bulls
Senior
And1: 594

Post#15 » by Cabbage bulls » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 pm

ZOMG wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Defenders will close out on Theis at the 3 pt line to contest it. Thad, not so much. Using that small sample size is just absurd, lol.
Cabbage bulls
Senior

Post#16 » by Cabbage bulls » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Theis was a 34.5% 3-point shooter in 236 career NBA games when he was traded to Chicago. Who the hell cares if he's only 4/18 in career games 237 thru 244. It seems quite ridiculous to even bring it up, but maybe that's just me?

But like you said, he wouldn't be starting because he's the 2nd coming of Larry Legend from behind the arc. His defense, shot-blocking and energy are why BD would make the move.

It's a bad faith argument, simple as that.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#17 » by TeamMan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 pm

ZOMG wrote:

P-Will is shooting 38% on 3Ps.

So, actually it is the best argument to keep him in the starting lineup.

Maybe BD should add some plays that get P-Will more 3P shots.
Cabbage bulls
Senior

Post#18 » by Cabbage bulls » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 pm

It is so obvious Theis should be given a shot with the starting unit. You need good defenders around Zach and Vuc. I'd like to see the following lineup:

Sato
Zach
TBJ
Theis
Vuc

Point guard is bad regardless... Swap Sato for Arch if you prefer. The Bulls just lack good defenders. You need TBJ and Theis out there to help with it. Hopefully in the future Williams can be a lockdown defender.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#19 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:34 pm

Move makes sense on paper but we might be disappointed. It’s not going to help the offense much- might make it worse- but it should help the bench and might make the opening defense more consistent.

I think there was a reason Clifford never played Vuc with defensive centers, though. Always played him more successfully with athletic tweeners like Isaac, Ennis, Gordon, Clark.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,262

Post#20 » by kodo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:01 am

I don't think it matters much how you shuffle the chairs. The Bulls are who the Bulls are. Theis got plenty of minutes last game, 27 minutes vs Thad's 19 and Lauri's 16.

The biggest problem is that Theis was considered an expendable roleplayer cut by a 7th seeded EC team, and he's probably the Bull's 3rd or 4th best player.

I believe Vuc & Theis were only the start of the total roster overhaul by AK, not the end of it.

Return to Chicago Bulls