ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft Prospects Thread: Send in what you find

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Re: 2021 Draft Prospects Thread: Send in what you find 

Post#321 » by Onus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Mylie10 wrote:As for our pick......I’m off Kispert and I feel that Jessup is going to be better and a bit more versatile than Corey. I would take him, but Justinian is gonna help Klay ease back into it.

I’m loving Butler or Mitchell from Baylor. I was on Butler at the beginning of the year and he hovered out of the lottery for a long time. I haven’t looked recently, but I have to think he’s risen the boards after the tourney.

Mitchell is just a dog beast. I love dog beasts.

I also like Springer and if those other dudes are gone, I’m all in on him.

I think Mitchell might be able to get to Marcus smart, I think that’s his high end and low end being Jevon Carter. Really depends on if his shot is for real or not. Don’t think he’s a real pg though, but I do like him.

I’m liking giddey as well at 13. Barnes would be the dream at 13. I’d think about taking him over kuminga. We should be able to get a solid player at 13. Our bench is just going to super young.

Giddey, Green, Poole, oubre, looney. The 2nd unit is definitely going to need another passer, which is why I’m looking at giddey and Barnes.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#322 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:08 pm

Getting Kuminga with the Wolves' pick, and Scottie Barnes with ours would be a dream come true.

I also think Jalen Johnson has become underrated the past few weeks. I like what I've seen from him, there are flashes of Ben Simmons' playstyle there. Feels like Sharife Cooper and Usman Garuba are also on the "buy low" section as well.

There are lots of players to like in this draft: Giddey, Springer, Butler, Bouknight, Dosunmu, Watford, Mann, and lots of others.

Also, as everybody knows by now, the top 5 seems to be indeed historically strong, with each of the prospects having at least All-Star potential.

Just imagine if we get lucky and somehow get out of this draft with Mobley and Green, for example. Ha!
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#323 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:14 pm

Onus wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Onus wrote:Seems like green and kuminga will be at 4 and 5. I think I like green better at this point but feel like kuminga may be a better positional fit.

With our pick I feel like I want davion Mitchell or franz Wagner or Corey kispert.

But damn well be really young next year if we add both rookies to the rotation.

Curry/klay/Wiggins/dray/wiseman
Mitchell/Green/Poole/Oubre/Looney

Top tier is and has been Cade, Suggs, and Mobley.we aren’t getting those guys.

Next three to me is Green, Kuminga, and Barnes

I’d take Green but I’d have to understand that his timeline doesn’t fit either. But his shooting impressed and I think he’ll fill out just fine as he matures.

Kuminga has the legit man body and makes sense for our front court. Can play both forward spots. I think his shooting will improve, but he has a ways to go as well.

What Barnes lacks in shooting is more than made up for with his guard skills and defense. He’s a legit 6’9” and long. He can play point guard for you, but guards three positions. Good rebounder and just a solid glue guy. I love him. I would hope the shot comes around but who knows.

I can see Barnes in a draymond role. I just think green has the highest upside of the 3.

Suggs is fine I hope he goes in the top 3. My biggest hope is for Cade or Mobley to fall to 4. That would be amazing.

Agreed on every word you said!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#324 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Chad Ford on The Ringer NBA draft.

Likes he same top 5 everyone else does. Says they will all be good.

Puts Davion Mitchell at 6. Had him at 18 before tournament. Says comp is Donovan Mitchell. Great on ball defense, burst, wingspan shot. Only con is age, 22.

Says rest of 6-14 has good ceilings but “scary” floors.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#325 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Getting Kuminga with the Wolves' pick, and Scottie Barnes with ours would be a dream come true.

So you just hate shooting do ya?

Guarantee y'all will flay Barnes alive if we take him.. he seems to be Draymond but without the ability to command the entire defense. Also it's probably not a great idea to consistently get a 0 from the PF position in terms of scoring
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#326 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 pm

updated BB, only went 17 deep for now

T1
1 Evan Mobley

T2
2 Jalen Suggs
3 Cade Cunningham

T3
4 Jalen Green
5 Jonathan Kuminga
6 Jaden Springer
7 Moses Moody
8 Brandon Boston Jr.
9 Franz Wagner

T4
10 Jalen Johnson
11 Keon Johnson
12 Usman Garuba
13 Isaiah Jackson
14 Scottie Barnes
15 Ziaire Williams
16 James Bouknight
16 Corey Kispert
17 Trendon Watford
clyde21
RealGM

Post#327 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm

FNQ wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Getting Kuminga with the Wolves' pick, and Scottie Barnes with ours would be a dream come true.

Guarantee y'all will flay Barnes alive if we take him.. he seems to be Draymond but without the ability to command the entire defense. Also it's probably not a great idea to consistently get a 0 from the PF position in terms of scoring

if we are looking for a Dray replacement, Barnes might be the closest archetype we've seen coming out in terms overall tools, skill set, and what he can do at his size/position...I like Barnes, wouldn't mind the pick, but yea, the shooting is a problem. it's essentially a play to find the next Dray for this team.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#328 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:21 pm

FNQ wrote:

Come on. You just disregarded the rest of my post. Klay and Jessup will provide a great deal of shooting for next season's roster. I believe Jessup's shooting will translate well to this level. Plus you have another year of development for Poole, too.

Kuminga doesn't have bad mechanics, I like what I've seen from him and, to a certain degree, believe he has become underrated here and in the Draft forums, much to the merits of the other 4 top prospects. But Kuminga has everything to be special in his own terms too.

With Barnes I agree with you, though at the same time I believe he won't last at the range our pick will fall (10/14). I think Barnes will be a big riser on the workouts period, he will end up being drafted in a higher tier (6-9).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#329 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Come on. You just disregarded the rest of my post. Klay and Jessup will provide a great deal of shooting for next season's roster. I believe Jessup's shooting will translate well to this level. Plus you have another year of development for Poole, too.

Kuminga doesn't have bad mechanics, I like what I've seen from him and, to a certain degree, believe he has become underrated here and in the Draft forums, much to the merits of the other 4 top prospects. But Kuminga has everything to be special in his own terms too.

With Barnes I agree with you, though at the same time I believe he won't last at the range our pick will fall (10/14). I think Barnes will be a big riser on the workouts period, he will end up being drafted in a higher tier (6-9).

Well the rest wasn't really calling the 2 worst shooters at the top a dream come true.. because if we're really banking on a 2nd round pick whos playing overseas to contribute actual minutes, as well as banking on a guy who's making a super long-term comeback and likely wont start the season, then we're going to be a horrible shooting team.

I dont hate either as prospects, just saying that those are probably the 2 worst shooters in the top 8 (and thats being kind to Barnes, who I think is fairly overrated if he's a top 10 prospect)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:45 am

clyde21 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

if we are looking for a Dray replacement, Barnes might be the closest archetype we've seen coming out in terms overall tools, skill set, and what he can do at his size/position...I like Barnes, wouldn't mind the pick, but yea, the shooting is a problem. it's essentially a play to find the next Dray for this team.

Thing is, to me, if we're looking for a Dray replacement.. then we're already ****. No one half-asses their way to a title, playing both short and long term. If we're going to knock it down, or trade Draymond, then sure, Barnes is fine. But if this is to keep both Barnes and Dray on the roster, I'll invoke Terry Jeffords on this one:

Onus
RealGM

Post#331 » by Onus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:39 am

Tier 1
Mobley

Tier 2
Cade
Green

Tier 3
Suggs
Kuminga

Tier 4
Moody
Barnes
Giddey
Mitchell
Springer
Wagner
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#332 » by DevinVassell » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 am

clyde21 wrote:updated BB, only went 17 deep for now

T1
1 Evan Mobley

T2
2 Jalen Suggs
3 Cade Cunningham

T3
4 Jalen Green
5 Jonathan Kuminga
6 Jaden Springer
7 Moses Moody
8 Brandon Boston Jr.
9 Franz Wagner

T4
10 Jalen Johnson
11 Keon Johnson
12 Usman Garuba
13 Isaiah Jackson
14 Scottie Barnes
15 Ziaire Williams
16 James Bouknight
16 Corey Kispert
17 Trendon Watford

I have the same top 3. Mobley and Suggs better than Cunningham for me.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#333 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:57 am

FNQ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Thing is, to me, if we're looking for a Dray replacement.. then we're already ****. No one half-asses their way to a title, playing both short and long term. If we're going to knock it down, or trade Draymond, then sure, Barnes is fine. But if this is to keep both Barnes and Dray on the roster, I'll invoke Terry Jeffords on this one:

yea, for sure, completely get it and agree overall, though i don't think it's a TOTAL concession if we get Barnes, as long as we know how to use him and stagger him in lineups that doesn't have Dray...but yea, if we are drafting Barnes we are essentially saying we are looking for the next Draymond.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#334 » by The-Power » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:58 am

As I've stated elsewhere, I don't think this draft is particularly good after the top 5. The top 5 are really good but I'm also not sure anymore if I'd call it generational.

I have Cade solidly as the #1 on my board – overall and for us. After that, I've been recently buying more into Jalen Green's upside and would seriously consider him at #2. He's close with Mobley who I believe will be really good but I'm skeptical that he'll turn out to be elite. Then I'd go with Suggs who has dropped for me a bit for two reasons (after thinking more about them) – concerns in terms of consistent half-court creation mainly due to shooting but also a lack of wiggle to some extent, as well as injury concerns. Kuminga would round out my top 5. I like his archetype but his shooting is a concern and he can be a bit stiff which might limit his defensive versatility.

After that, it gets tricky and I see considerable flaws and/or limitations in every prospect. If Jalen Johnson's head checks out fine I'd take him soon after the top 5 but as it stands he's a wildcard. I like Keon Johnson's profile but he has a lot of development ahead of him before I can see him as a good starter. Moses Moody I believe will be a good utility player but for a top 10 pick I don't like his upside all that much. I've soured on Scottie Barnes a bit – still think he can be a great glue guy in the right setting but his scoring limitations are a big concern especially since he hasn't been as good defensively as I hoped/expected. Soured on James Bouknight as well, I see his most likely role as a bench scorer. I'm higher on Josh Christoper than most but of course his scoring has to translate and improve for him a become a legit starter because he doesn't have a lot else to fall back on. Franz Wagner and Kai Jones are intriguing but not sure how high I would want to draft them. Josh Giddey has an amazing feel for the game and passing ability plus good size but has to improve considerably in every other respect to warrant being drafted this high. Usman Garuba is a fine prospect but doesn't excite me as a top 10 pick at all. Not sure I see anybody else as appealing in that range.

So yeah, we can draft nice players to fill roles with two high picks but I wouldn't bank on anyone changing our franchise long-term outside of the top 5 – and even there I only see Cade as a shoe-in to be great, and we'll never be able to get him unless we get the #1 pick which won't happen. Of course if we get Jason Preston with any pick, I'm a happy man and couldn't care less about who we draft in the lottery. :D
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#335 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:09 am

Devin Askew is transferring to Texas from Kentucky. Before the season I thought he would be a 1 and done. Mid to late 1st rounder.

He’s tenacious at point guard. He’s listed at 6’3, but if he’s closer to 6’0 I can see why. He had great energy in his HS games and in college. Russ Westbrook tenacity mixed with Steve Blake lol.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM

Post#336 » by Onus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:51 am

The-Power wrote:As I've stated elsewhere, I don't think this draft is particularly good after the top 5. The top 5 are really good but I'm also not sure anymore if I'd call it generational.

I have Cade solidly as the #1 on my board – overall and for us. After that, I've been recently buying more into Jalen Green's upside and would seriously consider him at #2. He's close with Mobley who I believe will be really good but I'm skeptical that he'll turn out to be elite. Then I'd go with Suggs who has dropped for me a bit for two reasons (after thinking more about them) – concerns in terms of consistent half-court creation mainly due to shooting but also a lack of wiggle to some extent, as well as injury concerns. Kuminga would round out my top 5. I like his archetype but his shooting is a concern and he can be a bit stiff which might limit his defensive versatility.

After that, it gets tricky and I see considerable flaws and/or limitations in every prospect. If Jalen Johnson's head checks out fine I'd take him soon after the top 5 but as it stands he's a wildcard. I like Keon Johnson's profile but he has a lot of development ahead of him before I can see him as a good starter. Moses Moody I believe will be a good utility player but for a top 10 pick I don't like his upside all that much. I've soured on Scottie Barnes a bit – still think he can be a great glue guy in the right setting but his scoring limitations are a big concern especially since he hasn't been as good defensively as I hoped/expected. Soured on James Bouknight as well, I see his most likely role as a bench scorer. I'm higher on Josh Christoper than most but of course his scoring has to translate and improve for him a become a legit starter because he doesn't have a lot else to fall back on. Franz Wagner and Kai Jones are intriguing but not sure how high I would want to draft them. Josh Giddey has an amazing feel for the game and passing ability plus good size but has to improve considerably in every other respect to warrant being drafted this high. Usman Garuba is a fine prospect but doesn't excite me as a top 10 pick at all. Not sure I see anybody else as appealing in that range.

So yeah, we can draft nice players to fill roles with two high picks but I wouldn't bank on anyone changing our franchise long-term outside of the top 5 – and even there I only see Cade as a shoe-in to be great, and we'll never be able to get him unless we get the #1 pick which won't happen. Of course if we get Jason Preston with any pick, I'm a happy man and couldn't care less about who we draft in the lottery. :D

Agreed, after the first 5 everyone else is a crapshoot. Most of them dont even have floors that stay in the nba
Onus
RealGM

Post#337 » by Onus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am

Anyone got some thoughts on Herbert Jones?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#338 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 am

clyde21 wrote:updated BB, only went 17 deep for now

T1
1 Evan Mobley

T2
2 Jalen Suggs
3 Cade Cunningham

T3
4 Jalen Green
5 Jonathan Kuminga
6 Jaden Springer
7 Moses Moody
8 Brandon Boston Jr.
9 Franz Wagner

T4
10 Jalen Johnson
11 Keon Johnson
12 Usman Garuba
13 Isaiah Jackson
14 Scottie Barnes
15 Ziaire Williams
16 James Bouknight
16 Corey Kispert
17 Trendon Watford

What I like about Jalen Green & Kuminga is they have G-league experience.

It was a pandemic year, but the benefits of top HS players to go to G-league will soon show. They’re playing against solid talent in a NBA style game already.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#339 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:03 am

Onus wrote:Anyone got some thoughts on Herbert Jones?

will be a 23 yo rook, more of a utility guy, hasn't progressed much offensively in his 4 years at Alabama, not a really a shooter at all, which is kinda a must in today's NBA as a swingman if you want to get consistent minutes, but has a decent athletic profile and will defend/board situationally, so maybe there's a path to success there as a 3rd unit guy possibly 2nd unit guy. mid-late second round.
Onus
RealGM

Post#340 » by Onus » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 am

clyde21 wrote:
Onus wrote:Anyone got some thoughts on Herbert Jones?

will be a 23 yo rook, more of a utility guy, hasn't progressed much offensively in his 4 years at Alabama, not a really a shooter at all, which is kinda a must in today's NBA as a swingman if you want to get consistent minutes, but has a decent athletic profile and will defend/board situationally, so maybe there's a path to success there as a 3rd unit guy possibly 2nd unit guy. mid-late second round.

Do you think he can be a defensive switch everything 4? He's obviously isn't a good shooter but he can dribble and pass a little bit. I kind of see him as a RHJ type.

Return to Golden State Warriors