ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,502

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1201 » by penny_nz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:16 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:99,99% of prospects don't have nba daddy who has connections with nba.com and espn to have interview about him commiting to NC.

Well, 99.99% is one in 10,000. As there has been less than 5000 NBA players in history, even Anthony alone makes this statement incorrect.

I count 93 NBA players whose father played in the NBA or ABA.

In conclusion: about 98% of NBA players "don't have nba daddy".

p.s. There are also 8 NBA players whose grandfather played in the NBA.

You can't leave me hanging like that, who's the 8??? :D
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#1202 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 am

penny_nz wrote:
drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:99,99% of prospects don't have nba daddy who has connections with nba.com and espn to have interview about him commiting to NC.

Well, 99.99% is one in 10,000. As there has been less than 5000 NBA players in history, even Anthony alone makes this statement incorrect.

Yea i want to know, sounds like pub quiz question :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#1203 » by drsd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 am

pepe1991 wrote:
penny_nz wrote:
drsd wrote:

Brothers Jason Sasser (1) and Jeryl Sasser (2) are the grandsons of John Barber.
Marvin Bagley III (3) is the grandson of Joe Caldwell.
Brothers Jon Barry (4), Brent Barry (5), and Drew Barry (6) are the grandsons of Bruce Hale. (An aside, Bruce Hale's son-in-law is Rick Barry; meaning that maternal and paternal lineage exists for the Barry boys).
Shavlik Randolph (7) is the grandson of Ronnie Shavlik.
John Townsend (8) is the grandson of Eric Montross (of the NBA predecessor the NBL).

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#1204 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:49 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
penny_nz wrote:

Brothers Jason Sasser (1) and Jeryl Sasser (2) are the grandsons of John Barber.
Brothers Jon Barry (4), Brent Barry (5), and Drew Barry (6) are the grandsons of Bruce Hale. (An aside, Bruce Hale's son-in-law is Rick Barry; meaning that maternal and paternal lineage exists for the Barry boys).
Ronnie Shavlik (7) is the grandson of Shavlik Randolph.
John Townsend (8) is the grandson of Eric Montross (of the NBA predecessor the NBL).

Damn, Caldwell should be in HOF, guy was one of first of those athletic- marvels guards . You can find footages of him basically dunking from almost FT line in games.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#1205 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:15 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
penny_nz wrote:

shavlik randolph of duke? that one? isnt he still in his mid 30s? now he has a grandson ronnie? wow...
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1206 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:52 pm

RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

shavlik randolph of duke? that one? isnt he still in his mid 30s? now he has a grandson ronnie? wow...

he got it in reverse. Ronnie Shavlik is the grand-dad.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,389

Post#1207 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:38 pm

RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Ah when i read that name i always remember the 2004 championship game. Still have it on tape somewhere lol
Was a fantastic game with 8 or 9 future NBA players. I was so torn between the 2 teams because i always liked Duke but UConn had our maybe No.1 pick in Okafor :lol:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#1208 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:

he got it in reverse. Ronnie Shavlik is the grand-dad.

Yeah that's what I thought. Same with Eric Montross I assume>? The Raptor Center?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1209 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 pm

I must say i am pleased with Cole last game. He was patient, made better reads, and finished around the rim. His drives are no longer totally out of control. Maybe its only Bulls atrocious defense, we will see.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#1210 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:43 pm

zaymon wrote:I must say i am pleased with Cole last game. He was patient, made better reads, and finished around the rim. His drives are no longer totally out of control. Maybe its only Bulls atrocious defense, we will see.

Cole is the opposite of Mo....

Mo... you're gonna have to make work harder...

Cole you're gonna have to make him calm down... because he wants to do his best... he wants to win... and he will lay it all out there. Once he's done and the speed of the game slows down for him, while his speed matches it.... he would be more in control. But... i love his go get it attitude.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#1211 » by fendilim » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 am

The thing with Cole is he wasnt expected to be solid at all, and I think he is proving otherwise. So the bar is low.

I didn’t expect him to even be one of the top 10 rookies of his class, so I think he is doing fine as it is. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust next year or not.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#1212 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 am

Read on Twitter
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#1213 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 am

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

It will be huge for him if he can keep up that level of efficiency around the basket
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#1214 » by nicnac215 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:08 am

Cole is going to be better than Markelle. He would be a great fit with Cade, Green or Suggs too.
thelead
RealGM

Post#1215 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:21 am

nicnac215 wrote:Cole is going to be better than Markelle. He would be a great fit with Cade, Green or Suggs too.

That’s a hot take. He might be better than Fultz one day but that would mean that Fultz never fixes his jumper. It’s all a guess at this point.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1216 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 am

nicnac215 wrote:Cole is going to be better than Markelle. He would be a great fit with Cade, Green or Suggs too.

I actually don't think it's a crazy hot to take to think Anthony could end up better than Fultz.

It's just virtually impossible to be an effective lead ball handler with a 15% 3PT Rate like Markelle has.

If you're going to be that unwilling of a shooter, then you have to be elite at other things like passing, rebounding, defense, drawing fouls and Fultz is just solid at those things.

Anthony's 3PT jumper is ice cold right now, but he's made multiple threes in a game 8 times already in 33 career games. Fultz has only done it 9 times in 113 career games.

On willingness to shoot from the perimeter alone, Anthony may have more long-term upside.
thelead
RealGM

Post#1217 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 am

Knightro wrote:

I actually don't think it's a crazy hot to take to think Anthony could end up better than Fultz.

It's just virtually impossible to be an effective lead ball handler with a 15% 3PT Rate like Markelle has.

If you're going to be that unwilling of a shooter, then you have to be elite at other things like passing, rebounding, defense, drawing fouls and Fultz is just solid at those things.

Anthony's 3PT jumper is ice cold right now, but he's made multiple threes in a game 8 times already in 33 career games. Fultz has only done it 9 times in 113 career games.

On willingness to shoot from the perimeter alone, Anthony may have more long-term upside.

To me, they both currently project to be backups. It will be fun to see if either, or hopefully both, significantly improve. The difference for me is that Fultz has star potential if the shot is ever corrected. Cole would need to improve in a lot of areas to become a star level player IMO.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#1218 » by paperboymafia » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:29 pm

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
penny_nz wrote:

Shavlik Randolph (7) is the grandson of Ronnie Shavlik.

Eric Montross? damn I hadn't heard that name in a long time.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1219 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Cole Anthony since the trades...

13.4 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 5.9 APG and just 1.8 TOV.

His 3PT shooting has been awful - just 7-32 (22%) - but even with that his TS% is actually up because he's finishing so much better than he was before. Overall he's 33-66 (50%) from inside the arc and he's combined that better finishing with tangible increases in his FT Rate and FT%.

I still don't think he's a natural passer or facilitator for others, but he can end up being a quality NBA rotation player if he can either develop his 3PT shooting or develop his finishing. There are some encouraging signs as a finisher if nothing else.
thelead
RealGM

Post#1220 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm

Knightro wrote:Cole Anthony since the trades...

13.4 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 5.9 APG and just 1.8 TOV.

His 3PT shooting has been awful - just 7-32 (22%) - but even with that his TS% is actually up because he's finishing so much better than he was before. Overall he's 33-66 (50%) from inside the arc and he's combined that better finishing with tangible increases in his FT Rate and FT%.

I still don't think he's a natural passer or facilitator for others, but he can end up being a quality NBA rotation player if he can either develop his 3PT shooting or develop his finishing. There are some encouraging signs as a finisher if nothing else.

He's a young DJ caliber level player. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Return to Orlando Magic