ImageImageImage

Around the NBA Discussion (20/21)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Re: Around the NBA Discussion (20/21) 

Post#161 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 pm

So a good coach gets his team out of the 1st round one time in about 15 seasons with 3 different teams.

Watch Atlanta get Boston or Miami in rd 1 and get bounced.
dirkforpres wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Ice Trae has the Hawks at the 4 seed. Luka and the Mavs are 7th. Its becoming clear Atlanta made the right decision on draft night...

Difference being that Trae Young doesn’t have a do-nothing cheapskate GM and Luka does. Literally that entire Hawks team other than Huerter and Collins is different than when Trae got there... and McMillan is a good coach whereas Carlisle sucks

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#162 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm

ejs78 wrote:So a good coach gets his team out of the 1st round one time in about 15 seasons with 3 different teams.

dirkforpres wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Ice Trae has the Hawks at the 4 seed. Luka and the Mavs are 7th. Its becoming clear Atlanta made the right decision on draft night...

Difference being that Trae Young doesn’t have a do-nothing cheapskate GM and Luka does. Literally that entire Hawks team other than Huerter and Collins is different than when Trae got there... and McMillan is a good coach whereas Carlisle sucks

And the Mavs have had glowing success in the playoffs these past 10 years. This team will be out in the 1st round and we all know it... Carlisle coasts off the backs of hall of fame star players, but there’s a reason this team can’t beat inferior talent like the Suns and Nuggets can and that falls on coaching
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#163 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:33 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:So a good coach gets his team out of the 1st round one time in about 15 seasons with 3 different teams.

dirkforpres wrote:

And the Mavs have had glowing success in the playoffs these past 10 years. This team will be out in the 1st round and we all know it... Carlisle coasts off the backs of hall of fame star players, but there’s a reason this team can’t beat inferior talent like the Suns and Nuggets can and that falls on coaching
Good job deflecting off of McMillian

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#164 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 pm

ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

McMillan is a good coach. Lloyd Pierce wasn’t.

The records before and after he was promoted to the Hawks HC is all the proof you should need... and he’s doing that while dealing with more serious injuries than what the Mavs dealt with too
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#165 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

The records before and after he was promoted to the Hawks HC is all the proof you should need... and he’s doing that while dealing with more serious injuries than what the Mavs dealt with too
So we take a small sample size and label him a good coach over his entire body of work.

You might wanna go watch his "good coaching" in some of those recent playoff sweeps hes been apart of.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#166 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:59 pm

ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Good job deflecting off of McMillian

So we take a small sample size and label him a good coach over his entire body of work.

You might wanna go watch his "good coaching" in some of those recent playoff sweeps hes been apart of.

I’m not saying he’s some brilliant mastermind, but I do think he’s a better coach than RC is.
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#167 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Carlise has been successful with 3 teams and Nate well were still waiting for him to be successful with 1
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

I’m not saying he’s some brilliant mastermind, but I do think he’s a better coach than RC is.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#168 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:09 pm

ejs78 wrote:Carlise has been successful with 3 teams and Nate well were still waiting for him to be successful with 1
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:So we take a small sample size and label him a good coach over his entire body of work.

Carlisle WAS a good coach... so was Larry Brown, George Karl, and Mike Brown. But there’s a reason those guys don’t coach anymore. The game passed them up and they failed to adapt. Time for the Mavericks to wake up and move on too
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by ejs78 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:13 pm

When he has an actually good team and fails I'll say he should go as well.
dirkforpres wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Carlise has been successful with 3 teams and Nate well were still waiting for him to be successful with 1
dirkforpres wrote:

Carlisle WAS a good coach... so was Larry Brown, George Karl, and Mike Brown. But there’s a reason those guys don’t coach anymore. The game passed them up and they failed to adapt. Time for the Mavericks to wake up and move on too

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#170 » by JD45 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:18 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

That's a reasonable take. I have not been impressed with the Mavs coaching the last couple of years. They rarely seem to have coaching wins. It's usually talent wins. But, I always gave RC the benefit of the doubt as he won a championship without overwhelming talent. So he had proven you could win a championship with him. Not many coaches have proven that.

I would be interested in a change of coach, but definitely not for someone like McMillan. He is competent, but just a mediocre retread, and definitely not an upgrade to RC. RC is not incompetent, but I don't think he is excellent anymore.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#171 » by Darren » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:39 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Same here. The Mavs is underachieving because the coach will only play mascot all the time. The starting lineup doesn't work. The Main reason is the lacking of personnel and right mindset to start with. RC doesn't know how to create favorable mismatches. More often than not, RC exposes the lack of interior defense and PG defense from the group. KP is a difficult piece to fit in today's NBA. But still, Neille is better coach on that. So is Spoestra. But who's available? J-Kidd? Luke Walton? Not much big name coach left.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#172 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 pm

"If everything stands like it is right now, I'm telling you, Lauri Markkanen doesn't want to stay here, doesn't want to play here, doesn't want to play with this structure that he has right now ... When he can go, he's going to go."

https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-rumors-lauri-markkanen-wants-out-of-chicago-if-things-dont-change/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#173 » by dirkforpres » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:07 pm

HMFFL wrote:
"If everything stands like it is right now, I'm telling you, Lauri Markkanen doesn't want to stay here, doesn't want to play here, doesn't want to play with this structure that he has right now ... When he can go, he's going to go."

https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-rumors-lauri-markkanen-wants-out-of-chicago-if-things-dont-change/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

He’d be the ultimate buy-low guy perfect for us... Not sure what he would cost though. Kleber for Markkanen straight swap seems decent
FIRE JASON KIDD
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#174 » by JD45 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 pm

Markkanen would be really interesting. But since that article is over a year old, and the Bulls have made a big trade, who knows what the situation is now.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#175 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Lauri Markanan is essentially Charlie Villanueva. Remember that guy? We had him here before, nothing special at all.

While I agree Carlisle deserves some of the blame, the bigger issue is Nelson. There's only so much Rick can do, I mean a chef cant cook a gourmet meal if he's given trash ingredients. Donnie Nelson needs to scout better, plain and simple. Drafting Josh Green because he has international ties when Bey and Bane were on the board is just the start of it.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#176 » by ejs78 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 am

Can listen early for the qualifiers but both had Carlisle at #4 in terms of coaches

Knocks were player development, still holding on to the reputation a little and my biggest issue they never run

Part 1/ 14 Coaches and no mention of Nate Mcmillan yet

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7JBjHpNipfmE1dvI38GAOV?si=ju338-eIQe2jDzRxXXc7Uw&utm_source=copy-link

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#177 » by Absinthe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 am

Carlisle is a fine coach who has watched the league pass him by. His rotations and lack of player development is a stubbornness that one can’t overlook. I’m not sure he has it in him to adapt anymore.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#178 » by Bluelabel24 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:34 am

memphis looking dangerous past few weeks.. I just watched their 2nd game of a B2B against Bucks and they played good (they won in chicago last night).. winning 128-115 with giannis playing. thats the type of drive i want to see from our team. I even had to google who their head coach is. He requires effort and hustle every minute out there. seems like if they were to lose it wouldnt be because of lack of heart and hustle.
i acknowledge the big issue is the roster but there's nothing we can do about that for now, we have to wait until offseason. Right now ball is in RC's hands, i really hope he is looking at other teams that are doing well and thinking what can we learn and take to improve the team.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#179 » by arkuo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am

Absinthe wrote:Carlisle is a fine coach who has watched the league pass him by. His rotations and lack of player development is a stubbornness that one can’t overlook. I’m not sure he has it in him to adapt anymore.

It's amazing how Pop can do more with less materials than Carlisle. Imagine if Pop had a Luka and KP in San Antonio. The lack of accountability with Donnie and Carlisle is also what keeps them complacent. Feels like Cuban gave them a lifetime guarantee for their jobs.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#180 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:54 am

daoneandonly wrote:Lauri Markanan is essentially Charlie Villanueva. Remember that guy? We had him here before, nothing special at all.

While I agree Carlisle deserves some of the blame, the bigger issue is Nelson. There's only so much Rick can do, I mean a chef cant cook a gourmet meal if he's given trash ingredients. Donnie Nelson needs to scout better, plain and simple. Drafting Josh Green because he has international ties when Bey and Bane were on the board is just the start of it.

if it's funny..you chase after a Bey and you look at Tyler ?? .. Big **** in the Draft..Achiuwa, Mcdaniels, Quickley, Maxey, Pritarch etc ... we made the worst possible 1 Round selection, ..along with perhaps the Suns and Knicks
1+1=11

Return to Dallas Mavericks