ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank World Order (2.0)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

At 10-13 where do you stand now?

TWO: True tank... Sell all assets and start hoping to land a Top 5 pick through the Lottery
15%
Asset-Building Mode: Trade Powell/Lowry but Keep Long-Term Core
46%
Asset-Building Mode: Wait Until Trade Deadline and Let Lowry Make His Own Call
22%
Buyer Mode: Trade Multiple Picks/Players to Get Star... Continue Competing with Lowry
3%
Organic Growth Mode: Likely Means Waiting Until Offseason Unless No-Brainer Trade Presents Itself
13%

Total votes: 181

Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 773

Re: Tank World Order (2.0) 

Post#1901 » by Jerry Lucas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 pm

720 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote: Bruh I didn’t even know you were one of those. :lol:

So many flip floppers!

Well yeah we were fifth in the east. Were winning a ton of games, things were finally looking up, and tanking didn’t make sense at the time. I thought Masai would move Lowry or Powell for a big at the deadline and we’d able to contend in the east.

It was the loss against the Wolves I believe that did it for me and that’s when I realized this team truly sucked and that tanking was the best route.

All the real ones saw it after the first couple weeks.

At least you eventually got it. :lol:

I honestly saw it when Masai decided that either Baynes or Boucher would be the starting C for us, 2 guys who have only excelled off the bench in their careers.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#1902 » by douggood » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Zach Lowe spoke about it on a pod shortly after the deadline. Maxey and whatever resulted from flipping Danny Green to a 3rd team was on the table as well as draft compensation (he would have been surprised if it wasn't a 1st).

There is 0 chance the Raptors get something close to that through a S&T so either you re-sign him or let him walk.

0 chance? Says you? lol

I'm sure the Raptors evaluated their ability to get something out of a sign & trade in the summer vs a deal at the deadline and passed.

As long as they don't make the NBA Finals, Philly should make the move in the off-season.

Then they would have to trade Seth Curry, George Hill and Paul Reed. I would flip Hill to BK for Deandre Jordan, 2nd pick and Cash.

i rather have the 20 mil cap room vs seth curry, paul reed and deandre jordan.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#1903 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:18 pm

douggood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:0 chance? Says you? lol

I'm sure the Raptors evaluated their ability to get something out of a sign & trade in the summer vs a deal at the deadline and passed.

As long as they don't make the NBA Finals, Philly should make the move in the off-season.

Then they would have to trade Seth Curry, George Hill and Paul Reed. I would flip Hill to BK for Deandre Jordan, 2nd pick and Cash.

i rather have the 20 mil cap room vs seth curry, paul reed and deandre jordan.

Agreed and this is also way worse of a package than what was available at the deadline.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Post#1904 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:Who needs a Lowry trade for extra assets when you can just sit him out for the rest of the season and re-sign him for 25M.

Galaxy brain stuff here.

What extra assets are you talking about exactly. Give us some details.

Zach Lowe spoke about it on a pod shortly after the deadline. Maxey and whatever resulted from flipping Danny Green to a 3rd team was on the table as well as draft compensation (he would have been surprised if it wasn't a 1st).

There is 0 chance the Raptors get something close to that through a S&T so either you re-sign him or let him walk.

Green/Maxey doesn't work salary wise, they would have had to include Mike Scott + another 3.5-4 million to get up to the ~26.5 required. Were they also going to throw in Dwight Howard? So now it's Maxey, Howard, Scott, Green? Bringing in another team for a "pick" for Danny Green means we're now matching salaries with a second team. Are they sending back an expiring deal with that pick? Which team is it? What pick are we getting? Essentially we'd be looking at Tyrese Maxey - a 6'2'' shooting guard who can't shoot (hello 50% TS%!) or play much defense - and whatever 2nd round pick we'd be getting for Green, assuming your second trade doesn't also saddle the Raps with more than an expiring deal. All Maxey has is being 20 years old. Maybe that's good enough to dream about, but it's certainly not galaxy brain thinking to not really give a **** about "missing out" on that stellar deal. We got just as much combined in the Thomas and Davis deals and you're acting like that would be fine for a Lowry trade, vs. trying for more in the summer.

As far as Zach Lowe - all he said was "I know Philly was willing to put Maxey in the trade". That was out there from a HoopsHype report a few days before the deadline. He said that Green/Maxey/Pick was an offer that he thought made sense for Philly. That's his opinion and not actually him saying what they were offering, and as discussed, they needed to include more money. And it wasn't exactly a reported piece. He was talking to Bobby Marks and Marks said the Raptors asked for Thybulle which was a non starter for the Sixers. That's it.

Around 47 minutes here: https://podcasts.apple.com/in/podcast/trade-deadline-reaction-with-bobby-marks/id986595124?i=1000514431071&l=hi
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#1905 » by 720 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:01 pm

This week is scary. We play the Magic and Thunder. Tanking giants. I don't see how we lose to them Even the 20 losses in a row Rockets had Wall and Christian Wood.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,802

Post#1906 » by Marty_Budda » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:22 pm

720 wrote:This week is scary. We play the Magic and Thunder. Tanking giants. I don't see how we lose to them Even the 20 losses in a row Rockets had Wall and Christian Wood.

The wizards, cavs and bulls also have an easy schedule coming up whereas after those thunder and magic games we have a stretch where we play like 5 top teams in a row. We gonna be fine I think. You can’t lose every game.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#1907 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Green/Maxey doesn't work salary wise, they would have had to include Mike Scott + another 3.5-4 million to get up to the ~26.5 required. Were they also going to throw in Dwight Howard? So now it's Maxey, Howard, Scott, Green? Bringing in another team for a "pick" for Danny Green means we're now matching salaries with a second team. Are they sending back an expiring deal with that pick? Which team is it? What pick are we getting? Essentially we'd be looking at Tyrese Maxey - a 6'2'' shooting guard who can't shoot (hello 50% TS%!) or play much defense - and whatever 2nd round pick we'd be getting for Green, assuming your second trade doesn't also saddle the Raps with more than an expiring deal. All Maxey has is being 20 years old. Maybe that's good enough to dream about, but it's certainly not galaxy brain thinking to not really give a **** about "missing out" on that stellar deal. We got just as much combined in the Thomas and Davis deals and you're acting like that would be fine for a Lowry trade, vs. trying for more in the summer.

As far as Zach Lowe - all he said was "I know Philly was willing to put Maxey in the trade". That was out there from a HoopsHype report a few days before the deadline. He said that Green/Maxey/Pick was an offer that he thought made sense for Philly. That's his opinion and not actually him saying what they were offering, and as discussed, they needed to include more money. And it wasn't exactly a reported piece. He was talking to Bobby Marks and Marks said the Raptors asked for Thybulle which was a non starter for the Sixers. That's it.

Around 47 minutes here: https://podcasts.apple.com/in/podcast/trade-deadline-reaction-with-bobby-marks/id986595124?i=1000514431071&l=hi

The salary matching part is such a pedantic argument. Of everything about the potential deal it's the simplest part. They include Scott and Ferguson and it works. Finding a taker for Green would have been simple, grab a contract and whatever asset you can.

Malachi Flynn has a 45% TS, does he suck too?

Since when does two 2nd round picks = Maxey plus at least 2 picks? Again, find me a single case of a S&T deal that returns comparable assets for a player at Lowry's stage in his career.

Yes, the guy who has impeccable sources and is one of the best NBA minds in the world said he KNOWS they were willing to put Maxey on the table. Am I supposed to take that with a grain of salt compared to what you, I or some other random person on RGM? Your opinion is more well informed and sourced than his?
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#1908 » by 720 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Marty_Budda wrote:
720 wrote:This week is scary. We play the Magic and Thunder. Tanking giants. I don't see how we lose to them Even the 20 losses in a row Rockets had Wall and Christian Wood.

The wizards, cavs and bulls also have an easy schedule coming up whereas after those thunder and magic games we have a stretch where we play like 5 top teams in a row. We gonna be fine I think. You can’t lose every game.

I agree, with that being said losing to even just one of these two teams will come in clutch considering they are our direct rivals for the 5th spot.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,782

Post#1909 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm

I’m pretty confident even if they make the play in game they’ll lose. That championship pedigree is gone. So we’re getting a decent pick, just not a franchise changing one perhaps like we want. Won too many games to get to .500 and lose it all to covid earlier. Real tankers do it all year round, we’re not that level.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,802

Post#1910 » by Marty_Budda » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 pm

720 wrote:
Marty_Budda wrote:

I agree, with that being said losing to even just one of these two teams will come in clutch considering they are our direct rivals for the 5th spot.

I’d be fine with the 6th or 7th spot tbh. Still have pretty decent odds of getting into the top 5. Nothing is guaranteed with the new lottery odds. We could finish 5th and drop to 8th.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1911 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:The salary matching part is such a pedantic argument. Of everything about the potential deal it's the simplest part. They include Scott and Ferguson and it works.

Still ~$2 million short. Vincent Poirier isn't enough either. You're still looking at Maxey, Green, Scott, Howard and Ferguson.

Pooh_Jeter wrote: Finding a taker for Green would have been simple, grab a contract and whatever asset you can.

What contract? What asset? Are we taking on future money to make that asset better? Which team is giving anything decent up for an expiring Danny Green when we wern't getting offered anything good for an expiring Kyle Lowry?

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Malachi Flynn has a 45% TS, does he suck too?

Yes! He's played like 3 decent games. I wouldn't trade Kyle Lowry for Malachi Flynn either. We can find another Malachi Flynn. But Flynn's also much easier to project forward than Maxey since his skill set actually lines up with his position and he can play defense.

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Since when does two 2nd round picks = Maxey plus at least 2 picks? Again, find me a single case of a S&T deal that returns comparable assets for a player at Lowry's stage in his career/age.

It's Maxey plus at least 2 picks now? Maxey is the equivalent of a second round pick. Him plus whatever second we get for Green is about what we got for Davis and Thomas. But sure throw another "pick" in there if you want. That gonna be the 29th pick? Maybe we can get another Malachi Flynn! Or are we looking at a third second rounder? Hey! 50% better deal that Thomas/Davis. What a can't miss deal.

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Yes, the guy who has impeccable sources and is one of the best NBA minds in the world said he KNOWS they were willing to put Maxey on the table. Am I supposed to take that with a grain of salt compared to what you, I or some other random person on RGM? Your opinion is more well informed and sourced than his?

I did not dispute Maxey was on the table. I said where he got that. All that was reported was Maxey being involved. Everything else was just him spitballing with what he thought would have made sense for the Sixers. I think Maxey sucks, and isn't a return that we need to give two **** about. I'm ok with rolling the dice on some other team being interested in the summer if the return is Tyrese Maxey.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,444

Post#1912 » by KL78192020 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm

720 wrote:
Marty_Budda wrote:

2 out of the bottom 5 teams since the new lottery odds in 2019 have dropped out of the bottom 5! At this point we can only hope it happens and the Raptors get lucky.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#1913 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm

I don't know where you're looking up the salary numbers. According to the ESPN trade machine Green, Maxey, Scott and Ferguson would work.

Maxey was literally JUST a 1st round pick and now he is suddenly worth nothing? You can dislike him as a prospect, but there was a reason he was coveted in the Harden deal. Someone who has shown potential to create his own offense isn't someone that fits with the Raptors?

There was a market for Lowry, you just don't like any of the deals. Even if it's just a 2nd round pick, Green is salary filler for the Raptors so it's an extra asset. Lowe strongly believed that draft compensation wouldn't be an issue in a deal so yes, there would be at least two picks and maybe more.

Again, you have shown no evidence that there would be any actual value in an off-season deal. If you are holding out hope for a deal that doesn't exist over something tangible that could have been seeing development time right now that's your own prerogative, but don't act insulted by the deals that were available for a 35 year old PG who is making 30M and is currently fighting a nagging injury.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,830

Post#1914 » by Los_29 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:15 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:I don't know where you're looking up the salary numbers. According to the ESPN trade machine Green, Maxey, Scott and Ferguson would work.

Maxey was literally JUST a 1st round pick and now he is suddenly worth nothing? You can dislike him as a prospect, but there was a reason he was coveted in the Harden deal. Someone who has shown potential to create his own offense isn't someone that fits with the Raptors?

There was a market for Lowry, you just don't like any of the deals. Even if it's just a 2nd round pick, Green is salary filler for the Raptors so it's an extra asset. Lowe strongly believed that draft compensation wouldn't be an issue in a deal so yes, there would be at least two picks and maybe more.

Again, you have shown no evidence that there would be any actual value in an off-season deal. If you are holding out hope for a deal that doesn't exist over something tangible that could have been seeing development time right now that's your own prerogative, but don't act insulted by the deals that were available for a 35 year old PG who is making 30M and is currently fighting a nagging injury.

Except there wasn't. If there was a market for him then Tyrese Maxey wouldn't have been the centerpiece of a deal and the Heat would've offered more than expiring contracts.

And why do people need to show evidence that there would be any actual value in the off-season? There was no actual value at the trade deadline so what does it matter? lol.

Just because Maxey was a late 1st rounder doesn't mean other teams valued him as such.

I'm actually genuinely shocked that there are some people upset about not getting Tyrese Maxey. Do you really think players like Maxey are hard to get in this league?
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#1915 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:I don't know where you're looking up the salary numbers. According to the ESPN trade machine Green, Maxey, Scott and Ferguson would work.

I have argued that there is little to no value in trading Lowry for Tyrese Maxey and at best a second round pick for Danny Green and another nebulous pick. Possibly the Sixers first? I do not particularly care that Tyrese Maxey was just a first round pick. Lots of guys are first round picks and I couldn't give two **** about them either. He has shown he could create his own shot in one game. He's had like 5 other middling games and has been trash the rest of the year. He'll probably get a bit better as he ages, but he sure as hell isn't someone you should spend any time caring about. he certainly wasn't "coveted" in the Harden deal. The guy coveted in the Harden deal was Ben Simmons, which is why Harden is playing in Brooklyn right now. If Tyrese Maxey was the guy the Rockets coveted, he'd have been in Philadelphia in seconds.

I have no idea what might be available in a move this summer. Or even next deadline if the Raps re-sign him. Or even as an expiring deal the following year. Who knows. All I do know is that even taking the best deal you have proposed - Tyrese Maxey, the Philly first, and a second round pick, for Kyle Lowry, isn't an insurmountable obstacle. Dream bigger.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#1916 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Los_29 wrote:Except there wasn't. If there was a market for him then Tyrese Maxey wouldn't have been the centerpiece of a deal and the Heat would've offered more than expiring contracts.

And why do people need to show evidence that there would be any actual value in the off-season? There was no actual value at the trade deadline so what does it matter? lol.

Just because Maxey was a late 1st rounder doesn't mean other teams valued him as such.

I'm actually genuinely shocked that there are some people upset about not getting Tyrese Maxey. Do you really think players like Maxey are hard to get in this league?

Getting something is better than nothing. It's a fairly simple concept.

Given all the attrition the Raptors have suffered talent wise without gaining any assets it's shocking people are willing to risk Lowry walking for nothing/signing a terrible deal.

Maxey was highly coveted in a James Harden deal, yet he is insignificant? I see why a burner account is saying stuff like that.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#1917 » by VinBaker6 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:Who needs a Lowry trade for extra assets when you can just sit him out for the rest of the season and re-sign him for 25M.

Galaxy brain stuff here.
Keeping Lowry was malpractice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

S/O to TZ!
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#1918 » by VinBaker6 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

0 chance? Says you? lol

You're not getting anything in a S&T except a TPE at best.

S/O to TZ!
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#1919 » by douggood » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:37 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

0 chance? Says you? lol

You're not getting anything in a S&T except a TPE at best.

not necessarily, it all depends if lowry/team with no cap space want to be together.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#1920 » by Spida888 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:03 pm

Tank watch for Apr 14:
- Cleveland vs Charlotte: Go Cavs!
- San Antonio vs Toronto: Demar will cook
- Orlando vs Chicago: Stop sucking Bulls and build a bigger cushion
- Golden State vs OKC: Hoping for another career high for Dort, and a career low for Steph
- Washington vs Sacramento: Either one is fine but Wiz winning may leap frog us

Return to Toronto Raptors