Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#1061 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 am

The Box Office wrote:I easily take Jalen Green, the best prospect in the draft, regardless of Zach LaVine being here. The draft is not about "fit." It never was. How many times do I have to write this? I wrote this many times in past posts. The Chicago Bulls RealGM collective has a horrible draft record when it comes to scouting anyway.

The Draft is not. about. FIT.

It's about BPA, but people's bias color their thoughts regarding BPA and their favorite players' position within the current roster. LaVine's position here in Chicago is not safe either. I'm not sure why all of you here think he's secure. Just because LaVine puts up pretty points and some dunks and that cements him as the Franchise? But he doesn't play defense, he loses the ball at crucial times, and we're losers with him, as the Best Player here, during the last 3 years. 4 years if you include this season, which I know we're going to miss the playoffs for the 4th consecutive season.

If AKME is thinking about building this team around LaVine then that's a massive mistake. GarPax would have built around LaVine. What was the use of firing GarPax and hiring AKME to do the same thing that GarPax would have done?

To me, if we do not get into the Top 4 on June 22, then that triggers LaVine being traded this Summer for the draft rights for one of the top 4 prospects. I'm speaking for myself though. Not AKME.

Flame away. I'm the only one here who would not build the Chicago Bulls around LaVine. Hell nah.

And oh yeah, Patrick Williams is a bust right now. Should have taken my guy, Tyrese Haliburton. I'm the only one here who placed Hali as the number one prospect in the 2020 Draft. No one else here agreed.

But here goes AKME tried to be smart and cute and pulled a fast one on everyone and picked Patrick Williams, who wasn't even on my list on my pre-draft scouting. We'll see next season how Patrick Williams develop.

I also wanted Haliburton. I even bet $ he would go #4 and win rookie of the year.

Huge mistake passing him up.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#1062 » by Jstock12 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:54 am

Given the Lithuanian connection and the need at the PG position, I wonder if AK is giving some consideration to drafting Rokas Jokubaitis with that 2nd rounder. Jokubaitis is the #1 Lithuanian prospect, a lefty combo guard who was getting good minutes in the Euroleague this season and looked really good for his age.

Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 570

Post#1063 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Memo To Adam Silver: Adam, it is in the best interest of the league that the Bulls become relevant again. It has been too long. So please use your influence to fix the Draft Lottery to give the Bulls the Top Pick. Jalen Suggs or Cade Cunningham belong in Chicago. Get it done.
Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#1064 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:26 pm

I note that the newest CBS Sports Mock Draft has Davion Mitchell going as high as #6. That's the highest I've seen thus far. Tre Mann of Florida also climbed up to the #13 Slot. Kispert dropped to #20. Zegarowski from Creighton also declared today. He'll probably slot out to the high Second Round because this Draft is Deep.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#1065 » by dougthonus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Almost Retired wrote:Memo To Adam Silver: Adam, it is in the best interest of the league that the Bulls become relevant again. It has been too long. So please use your influence to fix the Draft Lottery to give the Bulls the Top Pick. Jalen Suggs or Cade Cunningham belong in Chicago. Get it done.

If the NBA fixed drafts, the Bulls and Knicks would have been out of the doghouse long ago.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#1066 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 am

Jstock12 wrote:Given the Lithuanian connection and the need at the PG position, I wonder if AK is giving some consideration to drafting Rokas Jokubaitis with that 2nd rounder. Jokubaitis is the #1 Lithuanian prospect, a lefty combo guard who was getting good minutes in the Euroleague this season and looked really good for his age.

I think there is a good chance the round 2 pick will be a international prospect. So Rokas could be a candidate.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#1067 » by Am2626 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 am

The Box Office wrote:I easily take Jalen Green, the best prospect in the draft,regardless of Zach LaVine being here. The draft is not about "fit." It never was. How many times do I have to write this? I wrote this many times in past posts. The Chicago Bulls RealGM collective has a horrible draft record when it comes to scouting anyway.

It's about BPA, but people's bias color their thoughts regarding BPA and their favorite players' position within the current roster. LaVine's position here in Chicago is not safe either. I'm not sure why all of you here think he's secure. Just because LaVine puts up pretty points and some dunks and that cements him as the Franchise? But he doesn't play defense, he loses the ball at crucial times, and we're losers with him, as the Best Player here, during the last 3 years. 4 years if you include this season, which I know we're going to miss the playoffs for the 4th consecutive season.

If AKME is thinking about building this team around LaVine then that's a massive mistake. GarPax would have built around LaVine. What was the use of firing GarPax and hiring AKME to do the same thing that GarPax would have done?

To me, if we do not get into the Top 4 on June 22, then that triggers LaVine being traded this Summer for the draft rights for one of the top 4 prospects. I'm speaking for myself though. Not AKME.

Flame away. I'm the only one here who would not build the Chicago Bulls around LaVine. Hell nah.

And oh yeah, Patrick Williams is a bust right now. Should have taken my guy, Tyrese Haliburton. I'm the only one here who placed Hali as the number one prospect in the 2020 Draft. No one else here agreed.

But here goes AKME tried to be smart and cute and pulled a fast one on everyone and picked Patrick Williams, who wasn't even on my list on my pre-draft scouting. We'll see next season how Patrick Williams develop.

I agree that you always take the best player available no matter what. I don’t agree with you that Jalen Green is the best prospect in this draft. I have him slotted at number 4 but don’t see much difference between him and Kuminga from a talent standpoint so if I’m the Bulls picking at 4 with both Green and Kuminga on the board I’m taking Kuminga because LaVine is already what you would want Green to become.

There is something about Green I just don’t like. Maybe it’s that his body hasn’t filled out yet and he looks like he’d get beaten up in the NBA. His mechanics on his jump shot looks kind of weird and he has a long ways to go defensively. At 6’5” he’s a little bit on the smaller end for a shooting guard but that isn’t that big of a deal.
qianlong
Starter
And1: 258

Post#1068 » by qianlong » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:53 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Southpaw wrote:If we get super lucky and get the 1st pick, Cunningham is the pick right? He has all we need from a PG (Playmaking, Defense, Shooting) plus if he develops into an elite scorer, we'll have an a-list star to complement Zach and Vuc.

Man I really hope we get our pick this year. That'll be so huge for this team going forward.

I think Suggs is the better fit for us for sure.

But Cunningham might be the bigger talent so that can be an interesting debate.

I can see both, and I think Mobley should also be in the conversation. He is the kind of rare big you still want to draft high.
Ball don't lie
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1069 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:55 pm

dougthonus wrote:If the NBA fixed drafts, the Bulls and Knicks would have been out of the doghouse long ago.

Hey, nothing says "big market fix" like sending the most hyped #1 prospect in ages to New Orleans.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,530

Post#1070 » by DuckIII » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
dougthonus wrote:If the NBA fixed drafts, the Bulls and Knicks would have been out of the doghouse long ago.

Hey, nothing says "big market fix" like sending the most hyped #1 prospect in ages to New Orleans.

Plus dozens of other examples.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1071 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:09 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:

In the last decade, 7 of the 10 #1 picks have gone to Cleveland, New Orleans, or Minnesota.

The conspiracy should be that the NBA actually wants to screw over its big markets.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#1072 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:47 pm

Am2626 wrote:
The Box Office wrote:I easily take Jalen Green, the best prospect in the draft,regardless of Zach LaVine being here. The draft is not about "fit." It never was. How many times do I have to write this? I wrote this many times in past posts. The Chicago Bulls RealGM collective has a horrible draft record when it comes to scouting anyway.

I agree that you always take the best player available no matter what. I don’t agree with you that Jalen Green is the best prospect in this draft. I have him slotted at number 4 but don’t see much difference between him and Kuminga from a talent standpoint so if I’m the Bulls picking at 4 with both Green and Kuminga on the board I’m taking Kuminga because LaVine is already what you would want Green to become.

There is something about Green I just don’t like. Maybe it’s that his body hasn’t filled out yet and he looks like he’d get beaten up in the NBA. His mechanics on his jump shot looks kind of weird and he has a long ways to go defensively. At 6’5” he’s a little bit on the smaller end for a shooting guard but that isn’t that big of a deal.

Tough to have Kuminga anywhere but 5 or lower after the shooting numbers he put up in G league. 39% overall and 24% from 3 on 5 attempts is pretty putrid. Green's numbers overall look much nicer.

Stats aren't everything, but when they're really bad, its a red flag. Ask Atlanta fans how they feel about Cam Reddish, who they're still waiting on finding a jump shot.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,530

Post#1073 » by DuckIII » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 pm

I have both Mobley and Suggs above Cunningham and then Green.

And for the Bulls I have Suggs in a landslide. But obviously none of this will happen.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,923

Post#1074 » by Wingy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Hey, nothing says "big market fix" like sending the most hyped #1 prospect in ages to New Orleans.

In the last decade, 7 of the 10 #1 picks have gone to Cleveland, New Orleans, or Minnesota.

The conspiracy should be that the NBA actually wants to screw over its big markets.

I don’t buy the conspiracies, but one could argue they’re saving these franchises from going under. You can only have so many relocations before it becomes bad for the brand.
Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#1075 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:52 pm

I was being tongue in cheek. But from a marketing perspective having Suggs or Cunningham in a major market like Chicago would benefit the entire league. Most of the teams that are going to be picking high are endorsement wastelands....Detroit, Cleveland, OKC, Orlando, Minny, Washington, Sacramento.....And I'd bet Suggs or Cunningham would much rather join the Bulls than most of the other alternatives. If it ain't fixed then we just need to get damn lucky.
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 979

Post#1076 » by Chicagoat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:23 am

We can become the 9th worst team if the Kings beat the Wizards.

Let's hope for that. I given up on the idea of the playoffs.
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#1077 » by Hold That » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 am

The Box Office wrote:I easily take Jalen Green, the best prospect in the draft, regardless of Zach LaVine being here. The draft is not about "fit." It never was. How many times do I have to write this? I wrote this many times in past posts. The Chicago Bulls RealGM collective has a horrible draft record when it comes to scouting anyway.

You obviously get it. The draft is never about fit it’s about trying to draft the best player you possibly can regardless of position. This is a two man draft to me, Jalen and Cade are franchise cornerstones IMO. The rest of them I’d be shocked if they became allstars. If we land in the top 4, I’d pray one of those two fall too us.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#1078 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Wanting to dump Lavine to build around Jalen Green is pretty funny.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#1079 » by drosestruts » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 pm

still a 2 man draft for me. Cunningham or Suggs, anyone else and I'm looking to trade.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#1080 » by HotelVitale » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:26 am

Wingy wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:
DuckIII wrote: Plus dozens of other examples.
In the last decade, 7 of the 10 #1 picks have gone to Cleveland, New Orleans, or Minnesota. The conspiracy should be that the NBA actually wants to screw over its big markets.
I don’t buy the conspiracies, but one could argue they’re saving these franchises from going under. You can only have so many relocations before it becomes bad for the brand.

You can't argue that credibly unless your audience really, really wants it to be true. None of those teams have ever relocated (the NO situation was complicated by Hurricane Katrina but they never left) and none of them were about to move. They also weren't epically horrible franchises or anything--CLE had just gotten more than its share of attention and winning in the Lebron era, and NOLA had been mostly decent and never awful before it hit huge on AD and then Zion. Plus those teams leap-frogged worse/more struggling franchises to get those picks (teams like Charlotte, Sacto, Detroit, Orlando).

Besides it's obviously far far better for the brand to have those stars in bigger/more glamour markets than to throw a bone to a struggling team. Almost no casual fans would care about a bad team staying bad a few more years, and many many casual folks would care about Zion on the Knicks or Lakers or whoever else. Incentive isn't there.

Maybe most importantly, can you really imagine a scenario in which the NBA would risk the utterly devastating blow to its brand of being caught fixing the draft--in order to avoid some minor embarrassment in one of its smallest markets? Risk reward there is ridiculous, it's really inconceivable that a competent (i.e. not insane) organization would consider a move like that.

Return to Chicago Bulls