ImageImageImage

Welcome back to Boston Luke Kornet! (Exhibit 10 deal)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Re: Welcome to Boston, maybe, Luke Kornet! 

Post#81 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:20 pm

Despite the horrors of this season, and a short sample size. Re-signing/keeping Kornet is a must. He is better on defense than I would have thought a not so fat Big man can be. And a full summer camp of PnR or PN Pop under whatever coach and I thin k he will e a great backup and a good situational starter.

Plus his age fits our timeline well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#82 » by Brett43 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:13 pm

On this team as presently constructed, Kornet should get a lot of playing time. He's in the right place at the right time making the right plays. Plus he's super tall. On some nights he should start.

I love Robert Williams, but he's still very green.

Wagner has lots of energy but seems a bit lost right now. Until that resolves, he should not be starting any games.

Tristan Thompson...should be playing power forward.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Post#83 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 am

Paying his respects to the late Fab Melo.

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#84 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Brett43 wrote:On this team as presently constructed, Kornet should get a lot of playing time. He's in the right place at the right time making the right plays. Plus he's super tall. On some nights he should start.

I love Robert Williams, but he's still very green.

Wagner has lots of energy but seems a bit lost right now. Until that resolves, he should not be starting any games.

Tristan Thompson...should be playing power forward.

Maybe if this was the year 1994 he could play power forward. Not in the modern NBA

These are some power forwards in today's league:

Kevin Durant
John Collins
Marvin Bagley
Draymond Green
Zion Williamson
Anthony Davis
Pascal Siakam
Domantas Sabonis
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jae Crowder
Robert Covington
Tobias Harris

All of these guys have the quickness to defend the perimeter. And most of them also can shoot 3's. Thompson can't do either.

As far as Kornet goes, I like him. Like others have said, he's been good on defense, especially against the PNR, and has made some nice blocks. Solid rebounding. Decent shooting from 3. Looks to keep the ball moving on offense and set screens. A solid backup center in this league. Unfortunately for him, he simply isn't as good as Time Lord or Thompson. So on this team he's a 3rd stringer. Do we resign him? I don't know. I'd like to see him as an insurance policy 3rd string guy in case either Rob or Thompson gets hurt....plus they may look to trade Thompson in the offseason in which case Kornet becomes the clear backup center.

Also, even if Thompson returns next year, he's only got 1 year left on his deal and almost definitely will not be resigned in 2022 so we could keep Kornet next year as the 3rd string center and then make him backup center in 2022-2023 with Thompson gone after his contract runs out..if you end up with Time. Lord as the starter and Kornet as the backup, you could potentially keep those 2 guys in place for at least 3 or 4 years given Time Lord is only 23 and Kornet is only 25. Could be a really solid big man combo for a few years. Then that's basically 1 position that Ainge pretty much doesn't have to worry about doing anything with for like 4 years in a row, just keep getting solid production on both ends of the floor from the 2 of them..

But if Thompson is back next year, I'm guessing there's at least a handful of teams in the league who don't have a backup center as good as Kornet so they may be willing to offer Kornet a) more $ and b) a bigger role than Boston will be willing to offer him. In which case, you wish him the best with his new team..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#85 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:09 pm

playa-hater wrote:Despite the horrors of this season, and a short sample size. Re-signing/keeping Kornet is a must. He is better on defense than I would have thought a not so fat Big man can be. And a full summer camp of PnR or PN Pop under whatever coach and I thin k he will e a great backup and a good situational starter.

A must?

I mean were not even playing him.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#86 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:24 pm

Ernest wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Despite the horrors of this season, and a short sample size. Re-signing/keeping Kornet is a must. He is better on defense than I would have thought a not so fat Big man can be. And a full summer camp of PnR or PN Pop under whatever coach and I thin k he will e a great backup and a good situational starter.

A must?

Playa Hater posted that on April 1. At the time:

a) Thompson was still not back yet
b) Kornet was getting regular playing time as the backup center
c) Thompson had been out for so long and their were rumors about him not being liked in the locker room that some people (me included) thought he may even be a potential buyout candidate as the Celtics could have been able to clear a decent amount of salary

Obviously 2 weeks later it's a much different situation since Thompson has come back, he's played very well since coming back and the team is 4-0 since he has come back
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#87 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm

I like him more than I expected to.
Mo Wagner, on the other hand, has yet to make much of an impression.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#88 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:

A must?

c) Thompson had been out for so long and their were rumors about him not being liked in the locker room that some people (me included) thought he may even be a potential buyout candidate as the Celtics could have been able to clear a decent amount of salary

Obviously 2 weeks later it's a much different situation since Thompson has come back, he's played very well since coming back and the team is 4-0 since he has come back

So your point is player-hata really has his thumb on the pulse of this team.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#89 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
A must?

No, my point is he posted that comment 14 days ago so at the time he wasn't that off base but now at lot has changed 14 days later so the comment doesn't make as much sense..
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#90 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Ernest wrote:

A must?

I am aware we have to play TT for various reasons. But TT should not be a part of any long term plans. Kornet as I stated above as a low pay, can do many things reasonably well (pass-space the ball) and defend well enough also. His age-salary-ability and FIT (underrated part of this equation) make him a must resign for me. Considering his age now was about the same age as Theis when Theis came over combined with a greater role under Stevens may make him Theis part 2 or even better perhaps.

We are not talking about making him a quality starter, but as a well rounded 2nd/3rd string center which every team needs

7'2 centers who can space the floor don't grow on trees.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#91 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:39 pm

Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
A must?

careful Ernest.. I am trying to like you.. 8-)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,734

Post#92 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Among players taller than 6'10 and attempt more than 2 threes per game, Kornet is 39th in 3 point percentage.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#93 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Among players taller than 6'10 and attempt more than 2 threes per game, Kornet is 39th in 3 point percentage.

Out of how many is that?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#94 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:16 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Among players taller than 6'10 and attempt more than 2 threes per game, Kornet is 39th in 3 point percentage.

Any idea why his 3-pt% was so much worse in Chicago than in NY?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#95 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 am

It's like many people don't realize how a steady role and playing time can greatly affect shooting pct.. I have already seen enough justifications to want to take a serious further look at LK. Having a full summer/offseason to work with the Js, who demand lots of defensive attention from opposing teams, and working more with Stevens on location pick and pops etc, may really increase LK's potential as a BIG shooter. I'd be willing to bet he gets much more open looks with our roster than he got with NYC or Chi.

And reminder LK is NOT 6'10 but a 7'2 center. How many players near that height can even make 3s regularly. (Porzingis for sure)

Surround the Js with as many floor spacers as possible (exception being RW who spaces the lane in a different way)

LK shooting 40% in limited playing time since joining Boston isn't a bad start.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#96 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:

He's probably just not a good shooter. Below league average career FT shooter, shot 32 pct from 3 in college, career 33.7 3p shooter in the NBA. You can't just give him 5 3pa per game to see if he is a capable shooter. But as long as t eams respect the shot I guess that's all that matters; his defense looks quite good. Take 2-3 threes every 15 minute stretch and that's good enough.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#97 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 am

Bleeding Green wrote:

He's probably just not a good shooter. Below league average career FT shooter, shot 32 pct from 3 in college, career 33.7 3p shooter in the NBA. You can't just give him 5 3pa per game to see if he is a capable shooter. But as long as t eams respect the shot I guess that's all that matters; his defense looks quite good. Take 2-3 threes every 15 minute stretch and that's good enough.

Then why do you think he had good 3pt% numbers his first two seasons in the league?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 am

Bleeding Green wrote:

Then why do you think he had good 3pt% numbers his first two seasons in the league?

Because it's a small sample and as the sample grows larger, his true ability becomes apparent.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#99 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:He's probably just not a good shooter. Below league average career FT shooter, shot 32 pct from 3 in college, career 33.7 3p shooter in the NBA. You can't just give him 5 3pa per game to see if he is a capable shooter. But as long as t eams respect the shot I guess that's all that matters; his defense looks quite good. Take 2-3 threes every 15 minute stretch and that's good enough.

Because it's a small sample and as the sample grows larger, his true ability becomes apparent.

That theory is not a good match to the stats. He took more 3s in NY than he did in Chicago, in totals and rates alike.

Indeed, he's already had more attempts in Boston this season than he had in Chicago this season, although both those numbers truly are small.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:51 am

Bleeding Green wrote:

That theory is not a good match to the stats. He took more 3s in NY than he did in Chicago, in totals and rates alike.

Indeed, he's already had more attempts in Boston this season than he had in Chicago this season, although both those numbers truly are small.

If you take the largest sample there is, as in all of the shots he's taken in his career, he is a bad shooter. If you want to take players and cherry pick 100 shot samples, you end up doing silly things like drafting Aaron Nesmith at 14.

Return to Boston Celtics