Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 am

At 2:49 here you got Barkley saying he believes in Russ and Brad

Considering how often he is wrong, I feel a little better.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the play-in 

Post#2 » by queridiculo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 am

I don't think it's far fetched, and I wouldn't put it past the Wizards to qualify for a first round exit.

The Bulls have been a disaster since trading for Vucevic and with Lavine out chances are they'll continue to slide.

I think the Raptors management will flinch before the Wizards and start resting players before taking a chance that they kill their chances at the lottery.

Washington's remaining schedule for April is:

vs Pelicans
vs Pistons
vs Thunder
vs Warriors
@ Thunder
vs Cavaliers
vs Spurs
vs Lakers

These are all winnable games and with Bertans getting his wind and legs back, Ish Smith finding his rhythm and Avdija continuing to show that he can play in the league I'd be shocked if they don't win at least 5 of those games.

The final 10 games starting May 1st for the Wizards:

@ Cavaliers
@ Mavericks
vs Pacers
@ Bucks
@ Raptors
@ Pacers
@ Hawks
@ Hawks
vs Cavaliers
vs Hornets

Road games this season aren't nearly the challenge they typically pose, so that stretch does not look like a particularly daunting when you take into account that the Bucks and Hawks may already start resting players at that point.

They're not going to catch the Pacers or Hornets, but if Washington remains healthy, it seems highly probably that they'll get a chance to sneak in via the backdoor.

Can Washington win two straight against the Pacers and Hornets/Heat in the play-in?

I wouldn't put it past them.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the play-in 

Post#3 » by Halcyon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm pretty sure they make it in, assuming everyone is relatively healthy.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#4 » by tontoz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Lavine in covid protocol will miss several games.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 832

Post#5 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:03 pm

I look forward to Ted's gloating 'I told you so' tweets. I embrace the pain, like G Wiz. I stare directly into the void.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#6 » by verbal8 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:59 am

Not really relevant for the Wizards, since 8th place seems out of reach - but it does give the 8th seed a chance to play into a much more winnable series. 7th seed vs. 2 seed is a big upset, but it sometimes happen vs. 8 v 1 which almost never does.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#7 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:04 am

I think that we will get in but if we don't, who cares. The question is if we win the play in, who would you rather face out of Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Philly
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:15 am

The Wiz are now in a 3-way tie for 10th:

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#9 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 am

This run feels more legit that the run they had earlier in the season. Westbrook starting to really look like prime Russ & Gafford has been a revelation.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#10 » by SA37 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 am

Amazing turnaround from the beginning of the season. I don't think the Wizards would have any chance of pullling of an upset in a series against Brooklyn or Philadelphia, but they could absolutely shock Miami, New York, or Charlotte and win the play-in.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#11 » by deneem4 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 pm

SA37 wrote:Amazing turnaround from the beginning of the season. I don't think the Wizards would have any chance of pullling of an upset in a series against Brooklyn or Philadelphia, but they could absolutely shock Miami, New York, or Charlotte and win the play-in.

I think philly would be the easiest after New York and charlotte
I don’t want to see miami at all...there’s only 1 player who plays as hard or harder than Westbrook and we need to stay clear of him
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#12 » by Dark Faze » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm

With playoff effort defensively Philly would embarrass the hell out of us.

Nets would actually be closer because they know they can flip the switch whenever and don't mind a casual shootout.

We'd maybe take two games off a locked in Heat team. I just think this team would get absolutely smacked against playoff level defense, meanwhile our defense would only improve minimally unless Gafford has an MVP caliber series.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#13 » by SA37 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm

deneem4 wrote:
SA37 wrote:Amazing turnaround from the beginning of the season. I don't think the Wizards would have any chance of pullling of an upset in a series against Brooklyn or Philadelphia, but they could absolutely shock Miami, New York, or Charlotte and win the play-in.

I don’t want to see miami at all...there’s only 1 player who plays as hard or harder than Westbrook and we need to stay clear of him

Philly is tough. Embiid is having an MVP-type season, Harris is having an outstanding season, and Philadelphia has plenty of athleticism and elite defense to throw at Westbrook and Beal (Simmons, Green, and Thybulle). I think Washington would lose evey game by double digits.

Miami is possibly the worst offensive team in the league and an embarrassment when it comes to rebounding. It is actually quite likely Len, Lopez, Hachimura, and Westbrook would destroy Miami on the boards. Miami has a lot of talent, but a lot of key guys are playing below their potential, namely Dragic and Herro. Incredibly, Miami has been one of the worst 3-point shooting teams this year.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#14 » by JAR69 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Somehow, the Wizards only have three more games this season against teams with a better than .500 record.

Somehow, the Wizards have a 4-10 record against the teams they will play the rest of the season, 3-6 against those with a .500 or worse record. (Noting that we haven't played Cleveland or OKC at all yet.)

(I think those numbers are right, sorry if I counted wrong.)
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#15 » by dckingsfan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:43 pm

Fivethirtyeight now has us winning 30 games to the Raptors 31. I think we would need to win 10 of our remaining 17 games to squeak in...
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#16 » by deneem4 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:52 pm

SA37 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:

Philly is tough. Embiid is having an MVP-type season, Harris is having an outstanding season, and Philadelphia has plenty of athleticism and elite defense to throw at Westbrook and Beal (Simmons, Green, and Thybulle). I think Washington would lose evey game by double digits.

Miami is possibly the worst offensive team in the league and an embarrassment when it comes to rebounding. It is actually quite likely Len, Lopez, Hachimura, and Westbrook would destroy Miami on the boards. Miami has a lot of talent, but a lot of key guys are playing below their potential, namely Dragic and Herro. Incredibly, Miami has been one of the worst 3-point shooting teams this year.

I wouldn’t judge the last team in the finals based off this short regular season...
Philly aren’t a tough playoff team...or hasn’t been

We’re one of the scariest teams to make the play in because we have 2 legit top 20 players one of which is the scoring leader...and we haven’t been playing anywhere near our potential
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#17 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm

What a dog fight, three-way tie currently for the 10th spot, the Bulls have improved post-trade and Toronto is scrappy as-well.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#18 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm

closg00 wrote:What a dog fight, three-way tie currently for the 10th spot, the Bulls have improved post-trade and Toronto is scrappy as-well.

I thought the Bulls improved post-trade, but they've actually been horrible. They're 4-9 following the trade. And now Lavine is out for several games due to Covid protocols.

Toronto has more talent than us, but they might be tanking. They sat their 4 best players last game despite none of them having a serious injury.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#19 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:What a dog fight, three-way tie currently for the 10th spot, the Bulls have improved post-trade and Toronto is scrappy as-well.

I thought the Bulls improved post-trade, but they've actually been horrible. They're 4-9 following the trade. And now Lavine is out for several games due to Covid protocols.

Toronto has more talent than us, but they might be tanking. They sat their 4 best players last game despite none of them having a serious injury.

Thanks, wasn't aware
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm

nate33 wrote:

The Wiz appear to be the most motivated of the 3 - management is obviously pulling for a win, and Beal and Westbrook really want it - while their teammates want to make them happy. They're arguably the least talented, but I'll go with the most motivated team taking it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards