Game 53: MEM vs DAL 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Game 53: MEM vs DAL 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:05 am

With Memphis in the playoff mix without 3J playing a single game, it's easy to forget that this is the 2nd youngest team in the league, where the youngest team, Minnesota, have the worse record.

It's understandable that their attention to detail & execution could use cleaning up. Choked 2 games in the last few on the FT line, where the other team didn't win, Memphis lost.

It's also clear that schedule & fatigue is starting to play a factor, Fatigue doesn't just impact legs but decision making.. Jenkins should consider giving Brooks a rest game. He was great holding Luka in check but much better first half & his recent inefficient shooting is not a direct result of his usual forcing but shorting shots. Of all the Memphis players, he exerts the most energy game to game..

Give Allen credit, he was a force offensively tonight...having said that, Jonas, Allen & Morant still struggled defensively yet again. When Jonas was pulled early with Allen hot, Memphis went on a run. With Dillon playing some minutes with the bench in the minutes he was resting with Jonas, Allen & Ja on court their defense could be categorized as chicken without a head until Dillon was checked back in. a 90% FT shooter having a good offensive game bricking 2 critical FT's makes this loss a tough one to accept.

Memphis generally don't get officiating favor but on National TV vs Zion, Lebron & the Luka's of the NBA world, it's clock work.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am

For some perspective. Teams that blow up their roster generally aren't in the playoff mix this soon when rebuilding, more less without arguably their 2nd best player key cog all year on top of it.

With a healthy 3J it's not hard to imagine a few more wins .. where Memphis could be sitting anywhere 4-6 seed in their 2nd year of a complete tear down, rebuild/retool.

In another tough loss, I have nothing but praise for what this team is accomplishing.. coach down tot he water boy.

Memphis are only a 2 way wing away from contention, as they continually show when Brooks is on his game offensively, they just need that contribution, consistently. Then it's on like boil corn.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#4 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Whole Truth wrote:With Memphis in the playoff mix without 3J playing a single game, it's easy to forget that this is the 2nd youngest team in the league, where the youngest team, Minnesota, have the worse record.

I thought we are youngest after the Dieng departure.

PS what do you think about trading for Grant? (Clarke as a main piece)
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:With Memphis in the playoff mix without 3J playing a single game, it's easy to forget that this is the 2nd youngest team in the league, where the youngest team, Minnesota, have the worse record.

It's possible.

I like Grant as a target but I'd probably explore draft options before potentially consolidating for him.

That said with the depth at PF it's a potential solution for Anderson/Clarke behind 3J to turn one of them into a player capable of playing SF a current position of weakness. I don't like the fact Denver gave up on him but they also struggled without him. Fit wise he was good between a dominant PG 8 slow footed big in Denver...

Usually though. for deals & players I like. there would be more conviction than I have concerning Grant. I assume because I'm banking on the draft options first & foremost to avoid the cost & expense of going after a player like Grant.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#6 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

It's possible.

I like Grant as a target but I'd probably explore draft options before potentially consolidating for him.

That said with the depth at PF it's a potential solution for Anderson/Clarke behind 3J to turn one of them into a player capable of playing SF a current position of weakness. I don't like the fact Denver gave up on him but they also struggled without him. Fit wise he was good between a dominant PG 8 slow footed big in Denver...

Usually though. for deals & players I like. there would be more conviction than I have concerning Grant. I assume because I'm banking on the draft options first & foremost to avoid the cost & expense of going after a player like Grant.

I was thinking that Grant would allow us to go super-athletic with Ja, JJJ, Grant.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:42 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

It's possible.

I was thinking that Grant would allow us to go super-athletic with Ja, JJJ, Grant.

I wonder if we could get Grant without giving up Clarke. Ja/Brooks?/Grant/Clarke/JJJ would be a fun lineup.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#8 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
It's possible.

I wonder if we could get Grant without giving up Clarke. Ja/Brooks?/Grant/Clarke/JJJ would be a fun lineup.

It would cost us 2 1sts. I would probably prefer to give up Clarke. Also, is Grant SF?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

It would cost us 2 1sts. I would probably prefer to give up Clarke. Also, is Grant SF?

He plays both SF and PF though I have no idea which is his better position. And giving up the UTA 1st plus one other is a price I don't mind. It likely isn't enough since someone would probably overpay to acquire him but maybe some of our filler can sway them. Would we part with Allen in the deal? He only has next year on his deal before he gets paid. I don't know if Jenkins would part with him though.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#10 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I wonder if we could get Grant without giving up Clarke. Ja/Brooks?/Grant/Clarke/JJJ would be a fun lineup.

He plays both SF and PF though I have no idea which is his better position. And giving up the UTA 1st plus one other is a price I don't mind. It likely isn't enough since someone would probably overpay to acquire him but maybe some of our filler can sway them. Would we part with Allen in the deal? He only has next year on his deal before he gets paid. I don't know if Jenkins would part with him though.

Grant resembles Kyle in terms of being more effective as PF while staying on record as SF. If this the case, I am not sure if he is worth our 2 1sts.

As for Allen, he is kind of guy who has much less value on the market than in your team. I don’t believe he can return 1st. Other price doesn’t make sense for us.

I believe Clarke, Bane, 1sts are our only valid trade-chips. I might be easily wrong.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Grant resembles Kyle in terms of being more effective as PF while staying on record as SF. If this the case, I am not sure if he is worth our 2 1sts.

As for Allen, he is kind of guy who has much less value on the market than in your team. I don’t believe he can return 1st. Other price doesn’t make sense for us.

I believe Clarke, Bane, 1sts are our only valid trade-chips. I might be easily wrong.

Yeah I see Allen as a sweetener for a deal more than true value-add. And yeah if Grant isn't geared to be a SF then it likely wouldn't be worth going for him since JJJ definitely isn't ready for the wear and tear of the center position every night. We really need a SF or SG upgrade if given a choice. Just hard to come by right now unfortunately.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#12 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:20 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:He plays both SF and PF though I have no idea which is his better position. And giving up the UTA 1st plus one other is a price I don't mind. It likely isn't enough since someone would probably overpay to acquire him but maybe some of our filler can sway them. Would we part with Allen in the deal? He only has next year on his deal before he gets paid. I don't know if Jenkins would part with him though.

Yeah I see Allen as a sweetener for a deal more than true value-add. And yeah if Grant isn't geared to be a SF then it likely wouldn't be worth going for him since JJJ definitely isn't ready for the wear and tear of the center position every night. We really need a SF or SG upgrade if given a choice. Just hard to come by right now unfortunately.

I would offer Clarke, Bane, #18, 1st 2024 back for GSW’s #5 (Kuminga) and Wiggins (waived).
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I would offer Clarke, Bane, #18, 1st 2024 back for GSW’s #5 (Kuminga) and Wiggins (waived).

I tried something along these lines earlier on in the year on the trade board before the value of the pick was known. GS fans had no interest in Clarke as the centre piece of a deal more less for a top pick though I much prefer this trade direction (Not necessarily Clarke) for the youngest team in the league. I think the wing target should be in the draft, on rookie scale & I trust the Memphis scouts to make that decision after the last 2 drafts & with the roster quality depth, willing to consolidate all the owned picks to move up if the identified draft target is in range.

It won't be long before 3J & Morant need to be extended & while Memphis have proven to be good, ahead of schedule, they have yet to prove themselves contenders to venture into added cost, jumping the gun on specific targets even though the teams weaknesses have been somewhat identified. Part reason I have my reservations on a player/target I think is solid in Grant.

Take the Bulls trade for Vucevic for example, they're putting the cart before the horse & ended up with a losing record for their impatience. They traded a struggling rookie Carter, picks for a supposed Allstar & have had a set back in the win column as a result. What are they since trade, 3-14 ?. While mistakes can be rectified, they're best avoided.

I also mentioned on the trade board when people were praising Vucevic's game/stats. Orlando surrounded the volume shooter/scorer (50% eFG) with 4 + defenders, which masked much of his deficiencies. It explains why swapping him with a struggling rookie Carter has resulted in the Bulls, losing more, though the trade was an attempt to make the playoffs.

What if I told you ESVL, there's a big man that's been a part of a top 5 defense on both a contender & rebuilding team, he's very efficient (60% eFG) & hadn't missed the playoffs in all his 8 seasons till he was traded to a rebuilding 22 win team to replace their star C while also moving on from their star PG for a talented rookie PG, due only to injuries in the bubble & is now in a full season without his teams arguably best talent (3J) being the oldest player on the youngest team in the league who without their best defensive big, is still a top 10 defense & currently sitting 8th seed, mostly due to his physical presence, rebounding & team first mentality which is character leadership & infectious with his young teammates. I think you would tell me that team should trade him for an expiring & 2nd round pick :D .

BTW, Did I mention he also makes 15m less than Vucevic.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies