ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#161 » by Half-Full » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:55 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:The tricky thing is we've heard Stevens talk about how difficult it is to play two shorties now at the same time (Kemba and/or Pritchard and/or (previously) Teague. With Smart they already have three solids for the PG position next season (as it is I can't imagine Tremont back again, even on a two-way), and of them Kemba and Pritchard are both small. So I can't see Brad looking forward to another year with three smurfs--even with Waters gone.

Yam Madar is 6' 3", the same height as Marcus Smart, and also the average height of an NBA point guard. He's not really a smurf. You do have a point, though, about the PG position being filled, at least for now. If the Celtics decide to move Kemba... In any case, Yam is playing well, and looks to be ready. Will we see him for Summer League or training camp? It would be nice to see him matched up against NBA talent.

Unfortunately he's so slight that he's just an elongated smurf at this point. Will there be a SL?

He could stand to put on some weight, certainly, and he has the frame for it. In looking at his videos, I don't come away thinking that he is "so slight" though. But sure, he could benefit from an added 10-15 pounds. In any case, check out this scouting report from NBA.com, and watch some more of his highlight videos. Hard not to feel excitement about what he might bring to the Celtics.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/yam-madar#/
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#162 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Half-Full wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
Yam Madar is 6' 3", the same height as Marcus Smart, and also the average height of an NBA point guard. He's not really a smurf. You do have a point, though, about the PG position being filled, at least for now. If the Celtics decide to move Kemba... In any case, Yam is playing well, and looks to be ready. Will we see him for Summer League or training camp? It would be nice to see him matched up against NBA talent.

Unfortunately he's so slight that he's just an elongated smurf at this point. Will there be a SL?

He could stand to put on some weight, certainly, and he has the frame for it. In looking at his videos, I don't come away thinking that he is "so slight" though. But sure, he could benefit from an added 10-15 pounds. In any case, check out this scouting report from NBA.com, and watch some more of his highlight videos. Hard not to feel excitement about what he might bring to the Celtics.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/yam-madar#/

Agreed. The only things I think he needs to do is:

a) Bulk up a little bit
b) Work on cutting down his turnovers a little

Other than that, I think he's ready to come over here. He's already been facing competition in the Israeli league that is superior to NCAA competition..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#163 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Take a look at this:

3:04 opposing big drives the lane, Madar comes over from help size and blocks his shot attempt
3:16 swats away a 3 point shot attempt. Could any of our current 6'3" and under guys make a play like that? I don't know if I've ever seen Smart block a 3 point attempt..obviously Smart has made some blocks, but you really need to get up high to block a 3 point shooter at the top of his jump
3:22 help side block on opposing big in transition

Still think he's a smurf?

Take a look at what?

My bad, I didn't realize I forgot to put the link in.

Just edited my other post..

Thanks. The other plays, yes. But that one where he's floating through the air like a flying squirrel to interrupt a 3-point shot? Pretty cool!
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#164 » by Dogen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:19 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Thanks. The other plays, yes. But that one where he's floating through the air like a flying squirrel to interrupt a 3-point shot? Pretty cool!

With all due respect to Bird, Bill, KG, Truth, etc, this is some GOAT-level Celtic flying squirrel ish right here: https://youtu.be/6znZP_w8EpI?t=201
Hey you! Can we come together?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#165 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Dogen wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:Thanks. The other plays, yes. But that one where he's floating through the air like a flying squirrel to interrupt a 3-point shot? Pretty cool!

With all due respect to Bird, Bill, KG, Truth, etc, this is some GOAT-level Celtic flying squirrel ish right here: https://youtu.be/6znZP_w8EpI?t=201

lol, poor dude's gonna come over and wonder why people are calling him a squirrel.

Also, he has that nice Rondo poke the ball out from behind trick down.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#166 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:29 pm

I remember seeing his name like who the **** is yam madar what a dog **** pick. Then I turned on like one highlight video and watched him work and was shook.

His defense alone is unreal like already insanely good idk how a guy that’s 6’3 blocks so many shots. Looking like his floor is Patrick Beverley with a better shot and more playmaking lol. Actually pumped for him to come over and get some real nba coaching training etc.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#167 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:20 am

djFan71 wrote:
Dogen wrote:

lol, poor dude's gonna come over and wonder why people are calling him a squirrel.

Also, he has that nice Rondo poke the ball out from behind trick down.

Ha ha.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#168 » by Justin33 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:27 am

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#169 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:49 am

I hated this draft pick. I was mad at Boston trading away Bane and then drafting another PG. With so many other holes. still stinging from Yabu as well. Don't trust most Euros.. But truth is I will be glad to be proven wrong on this kid. He has a confidence and flair about him I like.

If he is a pass first guard like Rondo was I will be happy. If/pray we can get Kemba off the roster next year then bring him over. If not there isn't any point next year.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#170 » by ParticleMan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 am

so hard to judge from that level of competition. yabs was mvp-level in china, israel is a bit better but not much. i do like yam's skillset and activity.

not sure kemba has anything to do with yam coming over whatsoever. the real question is, can he beat out tremont/carsen and compete with pritchard for 3rd string pg minutes? if so, he should come over and get into brad's development program. but we shouldn't expect to see results for another year or two after that. be realistic, it's not like he's going to compete for a starting spot on a team with championship aspirations.

i do think he brings a nice skillset, with NBA level size and below-average but not horrible athleticism. i would definitely be in favor of bringing him over. i'm all set with the midget pgs, at least madar can provide size, hustle, and passing.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#171 » by Justin33 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#172 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 pm

ParticleMan wrote:so hard to judge from that level of competition. yabs was mvp-level in china, israel is a bit better but not much. i do like yam's skillset and activity.

not sure kemba has anything to do with yam coming over whatsoever. the real question is, can he beat out tremont/carsen and compete with pritchard for 3rd string pg minutes? if so, he should come over and get into brad's development program. but we shouldn't expect to see results for another year or two after that. be realistic, it's not like he's going to compete for a starting spot on a team with championship aspirations.

i do think he brings a nice skillset, with NBA level size and below-average but not horrible athleticism. i would definitely be in favor of bringing him over. i'm all set with the midget pgs, at least madar can provide size, hustle, and passing.

you are right, all Yam would have to do is beat out Waters/Edwards. Changed my vote ring him over. Worst case he plays in the G League a while.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#173 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:47 pm

ParticleMan wrote:so hard to judge from that level of competition. yabs was mvp-level in china, israel is a bit better but not much. i do like yam's skillset and activity.

Israel is a top 5 professional league in Europe. It's better competition than NCAA and people have no problem bringing those guys onto NBA rosters and throwing them into the action.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#174 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Justin33 wrote:4/15/201

Nice!

The good. 7/12 FG which is 58.3%, nice! 4/6 from 3 which is 66%, nice! 2/2 from the line. 23 points, 5 assists. 1 steal.

The bad. 4 turnovers and 5 fouls. And 0 rebounds. He does seem to turn it over a lot but perhaps those will go down once he comes over here and is playing with better teammates. His team is only 6-14 this season despite him putting up very good numbers so clearly he is on a bad team.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by Justin33 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

4/18/21 16 and 10
;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#176 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:49 pm

One thing that immediately jumps out is that Yam Madar has excellent instincts and vision as a point guard.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#177 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Justin33 wrote:4/18/21 16 and 10
;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski

Good stuff again from Madar. Love his speed, how he keeps his head up, sees the floor, is a real floor general out there, seems to really be getting a good feel for when to pass, when to drive and when to shoot. Love the defense too and the energy. And gotta love the play at :11 with the steal, hard push on the break and awesome pass behind his back to the trailer for the dunk.

I say we waive Edwards this offseason which opens up a roster spot for Madar..

Also, Madar is shooting 56% from 3 over his last 7 games.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#178 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 pm

The Yamster looking good.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#179 » by Justin33 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15 am

The Celtics have to be ecstatic with his progress and production this year. going from 27% to 40% from three while increasing his scoring is just impressive.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#180 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am

Justin33 wrote:The Celtics have to be ecstatic with his progress and production this year. going from 27% to 40% from three while increasing his scoring is just impressive.

Edwards is going into his last guaranteed year, so could be stuffed into some small deal--and Semi is expiring. Alas, All-Net Kornet (like Fournier) is also expiring.

Return to Boston Celtics