Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#101 » by MGB8 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:08 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:If they actually play better with him out, this board is gonna be a real fun time.

*After we barely beat a few crappy tanking teams missing half their roster* "aRe wE bEtTeR wItHoUt zAcH?"

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls did look better in the short term without Zach.

Other people have mentioned that having key guys out sometimes gets other guys to play harder. Given that the Bulls effort is in serious question, I wouldn't be shocked to see that kind of effect.

At the same time, I also wouldn't be shocked to see some of the seemingly soft and entitlement minded Bulls players continue with their soft play.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#102 » by Stratmaster » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Leslie Forman upon hearing the news:

https://images.app.goo.gl/br3pGgu3NzhP9VFf9

Damn it. Someday I am going to learn how to embed images on this freaking interface.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#103 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:
If LaVine is out and he played yesterday, it's likely he's not the only one on the Bulls that has this. Could be looking at a complete shutdown or a 8-9 man team.

Most of the Bulls were vaccinated a while ago. I remember Thad saying in an interview that there were only a few guys who didn't get it.

It was like a week, week and a half ago when they got vaccinated. This may mean that Zach was one of the players to not get the vaccine.

If it was just the first shot he could still get Covid or even if it was the second or the J&J shot i believe there is still a 2 week incubation period for it to be effective. So maybe he didn't get the shot or he very well could have and still got the Vid before his body acclimated to the vaccine.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#104 » by sco » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Stratmaster wrote:Leslie Forman upon hearing the news:

Damn it. Someday I am going to learn how to embed images on this freaking interface.

like this.
:clap:
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#105 » by Am2626 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:23 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:The thing is, Detroit, Minnesota, Houston and Orlando are mortal locks for a top 4 pick unless someone jumps them.

So either way, you are praying that we jump or no one jumps us. You just have to let things play out. If its meant to be, it will happen.

There is no way all 4 of those teams are getting in the top 4. In the 2 years since the lottery changes, the first year 3 teams jumped into the top 4 and last year 2 team did. If the Bulls end the season with a 10 worst record they have as good a chance as any team in that range. That’s where they sit right now. By the way the 7 slot has jumped to the top 4 in each of the last 2 years.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#106 » by TheStig » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Am2626 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:The thing is, Detroit, Minnesota, Houston and Orlando are mortal locks for a top 4 pick unless someone jumps them.

So either way, you are praying that we jump or no one jumps us. You just have to let things play out. If its meant to be, it will happen.

There is no way all 4 of those teams are getting in the top 4. In the 2 years since the lottery changes, the first year 3 teams jumped into the top 4 and last year 2 team did. If the Bulls end the season with a 10 worst record they have as good a chance as any team in that range. That’s where they sit right now. By the way the 7 slot has jumped to the top 4 in each of the last 2 years.

*sigh* This is what it's come to. Trade for an allstar and hope to hop into the top 4 to keep out pick. :roll:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#107 » by Stratmaster » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 pm

sco wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Leslie Forman upon hearing the news:

like this.
Thank you. What do you charge for lessons?

JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 343

Post#108 » by JockItch43 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:03 pm

HomoSapien wrote:14 days probably means he straight up has Covid right? this could basically be the end of the season if he misses 7 games.

He tested positive for COVID. I found out about this early yesterday, hours before the news broke. Not sure how he’s feeling, just know he’s positive. Hope he gets well quick and doesn’t have any lingering issues.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#109 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 pm

MGB8 wrote:I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls did look better in the short term without Zach.

Other people have mentioned that having key guys out sometimes gets other guys to play harder. Given that the Bulls effort is in serious question, I wouldn't be shocked to see that kind of effect.

At the same time, I also wouldn't be shocked to see some of the seemingly soft and entitlement minded Bulls players continue with their soft play.

Losing a key guy should stir stronger effort from everyone else unless the team has already folded on the season and the coach. Playing harder may not yield a better result, but you should get an uptick in effort, sometimes that will give an uptick in result.

It also may be the case that guys that normally don't get nearly as many shots now get a lot more opportunity and with that, gain confidence to have better nights.

Finally, the opposing defense has a lot less of an idea of what the Bulls are going to do, because Zach is usually a huge portion of the offense. They'll be defending lesser players, but there will be more element of surprise. What happens when Pat Williams shoots 18 times in a game? Who knows?

So sometimes there is enough going on to give a team missing a key guy a short term boost. Sometimes a guy isn't actually as key as you think, and as soon as he's gone you realize he's holding others back. Any of those things are possible, but Zach's overall efficiency and volume make me think its unlikely the team can play better without him for any extended period of time.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#110 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:21 pm

JockItch43 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:14 days probably means he straight up has Covid right? this could basically be the end of the season if he misses 7 games.

He tested positive for COVID. I found out about this early yesterday, hours before the news broke. Not sure how he’s feeling, just know he’s positive. Hope he gets well quick and doesn’t have any lingering issues.

Definitely hits people wildly different.

A friend of mine who is super conservative with everything got COVID just a month ago, which was really disappointing because he was less than a month out from the vaccine. One of his kids brought it home from school, and his school didn't offer an at home option (which he fought for and lost).

Anyway, his wife (teacher) was vaccinated and was fine. His three kids all got it, but none had any real symptoms and are all fine. He was wiped. Still not fully recovered a month later. He's in his mid 30s and works out regularly, not overweight, no other preconditions that would make him susceptible to a bad case.

You see guys like Mo Bamba who really struggled after getting it or Jason Tatum who says he still has problems months later. Other guys its like it never happened. Here's to hoping Zach is in that second group.
@doug_thonus on twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#111 » by HomoSapien » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:

A friend of mine who is super conservative with everything got COVID just a month ago, which was really disappointing because he was less than a month out from the vaccine. One of his kids brought it home from school, and his school didn't offer an at home option (which he fought for and lost).

Anyway, his wife (teacher) was vaccinated and was fine. His three kids all got it, but none had any real symptoms and are all fine. He was wiped. Still not fully recovered a month later. He's in his mid 30s and works out regularly, not overweight, no other preconditions that would make him susceptible to a bad case.

You see guys like Mo Bamba who really struggled after getting it or Jason Tatum who says he still has problems months later. Other guys its like it never happened. Here's to hoping Zach is in that second group.

There's some scary stories out there. One of my good friends who is 34 and in fantastic shape got it in August and then a month later had a stroke that the doctors believed was related to Covid. Thankfully he's made a great recovery, but he still gets headaches and occasionally has trouble remembering words.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#112 » by JockItch43 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm

dougthonus wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:

Most people have similar experiences with people they know. I also had a coworker who was hospitalized and lost so much weight she looked terminal and another friend who went to the hospital and never left. Both are/were about 50 years old, not young, but not old either. That’s when this thing really hit home for me.

Not sure if Zach got vaccinated, most likely not. I do have a friend that works for the CFD, he was apprehensive to get vaccinated and held out. 2 weeks ago he finally caved in and got the first shot... a week later he and his wife (who got vaccinated the same time) both came down with COVID.

The unpredictability of this virus is what makes it scary. Could be a non issue... could land you in a hospital.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#113 » by HomoSapien » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 pm

People seem to be alluding to rumors that LaVine opted out of getting the vaccine and also that it's confirmed he has has it (which seems likely obviously). Where are people hearing all this from?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#114 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 pm

HomoSapien wrote:People seem to be alluding to rumors that LaVine opted out of getting the vaccine and also that it's confirmed he has has it (which seems likely obviously). Where are people hearing all this from?

Cowley reported that Zach tested positive for Coronavirus.

I read on twitter that Zach opted not to get the vaccine, but I can't remember what the source was but don't think it was a beat reporter and may have been an assumption based on him testing positive.
@doug_thonus on twitter
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#115 » by JockItch43 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

HomoSapien wrote:People seem to be alluding to rumors that LaVine opted out of getting the vaccine and also that it's confirmed he has has it (which seems likely obviously). Where are people hearing all this from?

I have a friend who’s spouse is in regular contact with Zach. He knows I’m a big fan so he gave me the heads up when they found out yesterday morning.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#116 » by dice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Most of the Bulls were vaccinated a while ago. I remember Thad saying in an interview that there were only a few guys who didn't get it.

It was like a week, week and a half ago when they got vaccinated. This may mean that Zach was one of the players to not get the vaccine.

If it was just the first shot he could still get Covid or even if it was the second or the J&J shot i believe there is still a 2 week incubation period for it to be effective. So maybe he didn't get the shot or he very well could have and still got the Vid before his body acclimated to the vaccine.

more importantly, getting the vaccine doesn't prevent a person from getting COVID. it just prevents almost everyone who gets it from getting seriously ill. it APPEARS that it also does a great job at preventing transmission to others, but from what i've heard not all the data is in on that one. as such, even players who are fully innoculated will continue to get tested and be prevented from playing if postitive...until all players on the court are innoculated as well, anyway
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#117 » by dice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:21 am

so what % of players league-wide have tested positive since gobert got swatted by it?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#118 » by dice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 am

if any player declines to get vaccinated and ends up missing time in the playoffs because of it, he's gonna look like a real fool
ch434355
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#119 » by ch434355 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:22 am

dice wrote:if any player declines to get vaccinated and ends up missing time in the playoffs because of it, he's gonna look like a real fool

Anyone who declines the vaccine already looks like a fool
dice
RealGM

Post#120 » by dice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 am

ch434355 wrote:
dice wrote:if any player declines to get vaccinated and ends up missing time in the playoffs because of it, he's gonna look like a real fool

Anyone who declines the vaccine already looks like a fool

not on a public stage

Return to Chicago Bulls