Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread # 3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Re: NBA Trade Thread # 3 

Post#1741 » by Am2626 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 am

sco wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:Hey Suns fan here guys. I'm just curious what kinda return you're looking for Coby? Reason being we need a young PG to play behind CP3 and to take over in a yr or 2. Coby is still on his rook deal and has the size and ability to be a good player while being so young.

I was thinking that if you sign Lonzo then you won't really need him as Zo and Zach would be your back court. Hoping that a 1st would do it, since you gave away 2 in the Vuc deal, but am open for other suggestions. Thoughts?

If your FRP was slotted 14-20 and I was the GM I'd trade Coby for that plus E'Twan Moore. But your pick will be 27-30, not much better than a second rounder. I could see Coby plus filler for your FRP plus Cam Johnson.

Realistically, 2 second rounders probably gets that done, he had his shot and it didn't work here as a starter. I think the FO wants to clean house from prior regime. He'd be a great add for you guys because he could learn from CP3.

Coby has value as a 6th man. I wouldn’t just dump him for nothing. How does getting 2 second rounders for him help the Bulls?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1742 » by sco » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 pm

Am2626 wrote:
sco wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:
If your FRP was slotted 14-20 and I was the GM I'd trade Coby for that plus E'Twan Moore. But your pick will be 27-30, not much better than a second rounder. I could see Coby plus filler for your FRP plus Cam Johnson.

Realistically, 2 second rounders probably gets that done, he had his shot and it didn't work here as a starter. I think the FO wants to clean house from prior regime. He'd be a great add for you guys because he could learn from CP3.

Coby has value as a 6th man. I wouldn’t just dump him for nothing. How does getting 2 second rounders for him help the Bulls?

Coby has value as a guy who has potential to get better on a rookie deal. I watch him and his problem is that he doesn't understand that right now his only minor strength is as a catch and shoot guy. With the ball in his hands he is a liability on offense and he is a liability on defense. I know folks fall in love with the 1st round pick halo, but this guys is no better than guys who we could pick-up on vet min deals. If we can get even a late 1st for him, I am all over it.
:clap:
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#1743 » by ChettheJet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:25 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:Cant we just waive felicio and maybe bring someone in to evaluate, there isnt one guy worth looking at?

Multiple answers. There's no practice time so bringing someone in off the shelf is easy but the only way to evaluate what he can do for you is to put him in games. The Bulls are on the edge of the playoffs, it's a big gamble to spend evaluation time on somebody who hasn't been able to get on a roster anywhere else. Because with 30 teams anybody could find a roster spot to bring in the guy you're imagining and are the Bulls highest on the desperation list to be the one to grab him?

Consider the Bulls got Javonte Green along with Theis, he got minutes for BOS but he played about 4 minutes in one game for CHI. The last game with Satoransky out they brought Arci off the bench and after 2 years they know exactly what he can and can't do. They could as the very least look at film of Green with BOS to see what he can do for them, somebody who hasn't been playing this year is a complete mystery.

All they can and should be doing is scouting the second units and benches of every team and seeing who looks like with the picks a team has they're going to release or give up on that could become the Bulls' bench. Brown ha a team option and would be worth keeping, Aminu has a player option he'll take. They should bring back Theis, could try to resign Temple, Valentine, Arcidiacono or be seeing who will be coming on the FA market to round out the bench
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1744 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 pm

ChettheJet wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:Cant we just waive felicio and maybe bring someone in to evaluate, there isnt one guy worth looking at?

Multiple answers. There's no practice time so bringing someone in off the shelf is easy but the only way to evaluate what he can do for you is to put him in games. The Bulls are on the edge of the playoffs, it's a big gamble to spend evaluation time on somebody who hasn't been able to get on a roster anywhere else. Because with 30 teams anybody could find a roster spot to bring in the guy you're imagining and are the Bulls highest on the desperation list to be the one to grab him?

Consider the Bulls got Javonte Green along with Theis, he got minutes for BOS but he played about 4 minutes in one game for CHI. The last game with Satoransky out they brought Arci off the bench and after 2 years they know exactly what he can and can't do. They could as the very least look at film of Green with BOS to see what he can do for them, somebody who hasn't been playing this year is a complete mystery.

All they can and should be doing is scouting the second units and benches of every team and seeing who looks like with the picks a team has they're going to release or give up on that could become the Bulls' bench. Brown ha a team option and would be worth keeping, Aminu has a player option he'll take. They should bring back Theis, could try to resign Temple, Valentine, Arcidiacono or be seeing who will be coming on the FA market to round out the bench

All i can say is that there have been 20+ transactions just since April 1st and we still have felicio on the roster. 8 total minutes in the last 25 games. 3rd string center.

10 days, 2 Ways, random signings. There isnt one flyer out there worth bringing in for a peek?

Give me something, even if its just for shootarounds or to toss a prorated salary at some kid for 15 games + time at the facilities.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,860

Post#1745 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 pm

Am2626 wrote:
sco wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:

You draft players with the 2nd rounders who are then signed for dirt cheap deals.
FreePaulZipser
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#1746 » by FreePaulZipser » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
sco wrote:Realistically, 2 second rounders probably gets that done, he had his shot and it didn't work here as a starter. I think the FO wants to clean house from prior regime. He'd be a great add for you guys because he could learn from CP3.

You draft players with the 2nd rounders who are then signed for dirt cheap deals.

How many 2nd rounders are better than Coby out of the last 3 drafts? I can only think of 2...... Gary Trent Jr and Jalen Brunson. And that's while being nice about Brunson. So, 2 guys out of 90 picks and that's what you want to trade Coby for.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#1747 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:14 pm

FreePaulZipser wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

How many 2nd rounders are better than Coby out of the last 3 drafts? I can only think of 2...... Gary Trent Jr and Jalen Brunson. And that's while being nice about Brunson. So, 2 guys out of 90 picks and that's what you want to trade Coby for.

THT, Devonte Graham, Nic Claxton, Eric Paschall, Mitch Robinson, Jarred Vanderbilt, De'Anthony Melton, Shake Milton, Jevon Carter, Bruce Brown, Maybe Svi.

Too early to say to this last draft's 2nd rounders. Tillman looks better though.

There's a bunch who are as good or better than Coby White.
FreePaulZipser
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#1748 » by FreePaulZipser » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
FreePaulZipser wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:You draft players with the 2nd rounders who are then signed for dirt cheap deals.

THT, Devonte Graham, Nic Claxton, Eric Paschall, Mitch Robinson, Jarred Vanderbilt, De'Anthony Melton, Shake Milton, Jevon Carter, Bruce Brown, Maybe Svi.

Too early to say to this last draft's 2nd rounders. Tillman looks better though.

Ill give you Melton, and Robinson. I forgot those 2. Even if i gave you your list, That is still only 13 out of 90 picks........ That would make that a bad trade. Also alot of those guys on your list aren't as good as Coby. You just clearly don't like Coby.

Example, i could only imagine how bad you would think Graham was if he were here instead of Coby.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#1749 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 pm

FreePaulZipser wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
FreePaulZipser wrote:

Ill give you Melton, and Robinson. I forgot those 2. Even if i gave you your list, That is still only 13 out of 90 picks........ That would make that a bad trade. Also alot of those guys on your list aren't as good as Coby. You just clearly don't like Coby.

Example, i could only imagine how bad you would think Graham was if he were here instead of Coby.

Nope. You don't seem to understand how trades work.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#1750 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
FreePaulZipser wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:You draft players with the 2nd rounders who are then signed for dirt cheap deals.

Graham sucks.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1751 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 pm

I’m a huge Coby critic, but no way I’m trading him for 2nd rounders. That’s absurd.
sco
RealGM

Post#1752 » by sco » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:04 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:I’m a huge Coby critic, but no way I’m trading him for 2nd rounders. That’s absurd.

Coby is maddening with his inconsistency. I really wanted Coby to rise to the PG challenge. It was a risk worth taking but we may have ruined him for the rest of his rookie deal, in terms of his development curve. Coby is good 2 things - catch and shoot 3pters and end-to-end speed (which we rarely see anymore). There is a HUGE difference in terms of offensive mentality between PG and SG. Playing him at PG put hesitancy in his offensive game, which IMO, threw off his scoring instincts. I'm for using him exclusively as our backup SG next season (and the rest of this season, if possible).
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1753 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:59 pm

sco wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:I’m a huge Coby critic, but no way I’m trading him for 2nd rounders. That’s absurd.

Coby is maddening with his inconsistency. I really wanted Coby to rise to the PG challenge. It was a risk worth taking but we may have ruined him for the rest of his rookie deal, in terms of his development curve. Coby is good 2 things - catch and shoot 3pters and end-to-end speed (which we rarely see anymore). There is a HUGE difference in terms of offensive mentality between PG and SG. Playing him at PG put hesitancy in his offensive game, which IMO, threw off his scoring instincts. I'm for using him exclusively as our backup SG next season (and the rest of this season, if possible).

I think he keeps the starting PG position for the rest of the season. He is playing better so I don’t see them screwing around with that. Temple goes the bench. Based on his latest interview the Bulls are still trying to develop him into a PG.
sco
RealGM

Post#1754 » by sco » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:39 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
sco wrote:

I think he keeps the starting PG position for the rest of the season. He is playing better so I don’t see them screwing around with that. Temple goes the bench. Based on his latest interview the Bulls are still trying to develop him into a PG.

Didn't see that interview...bummer; although from a practical perspective they really have no better option and changing that midseason is counter productive. I really hope they bump Coby to the bench and keep Temple starting.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#1755 » by mg » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 pm

Maybe it's been mentioned before but is it possible to do a double sign and trade sending Lauri to the Pelicans and Lonzo to the Bulls (assuming of course the players are both ok with it?)
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#1756 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 pm

mg wrote:Maybe it's been mentioned before but is it possible to do a double sign and trade sending Lauri to the Pelicans and Lonzo to the Bulls (assuming of course the players are both ok with it?)

I think so, but one problem is: Do the Pelicans want Lauri? They have Zion at PF.
sco
RealGM

Post#1757 » by sco » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Dan Z wrote:
mg wrote:Maybe it's been mentioned before but is it possible to do a double sign and trade sending Lauri to the Pelicans and Lonzo to the Bulls (assuming of course the players are both ok with it?)

I think so, but one problem is: Do the Pelicans want Lauri? They have Zion at PF.

If they did, it would be to replace Adams at C to give Zion more space.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#1758 » by ZOMG » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:00 pm

sco wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Also, Zion is no PF. He doesn't even really have a position. A playmaking, ball handling Mini Shaq.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#1759 » by MGB8 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:09 pm

ZOMG wrote:
sco wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Also, Zion is no PF. He doesn't even really have a position. A playmaking, ball handling Mini Shaq.

Eh, Zion really isn't big enough to play Center in most matchups - a defensive liability against the biggest guys and while he'd have a big advantage on offense against most, do you really want to wear him down banging on the defensive end? So, as much as a I love the phrase "playmaking, ball handling Mini Shaq" (enough to give it a +1), he's a "combo forward."

Just like Pat and RJH and Justise Winslow (if he's every healthy) and OG, and like Marvin Williams and Josh Smith and older Luol Deng and older Shawn Marion and older Jamal Mashburn and post-injury Grandma-ma and Robert Horry and Uncle Cliff before them.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#1760 » by MGB8 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Back to trades, I think I have a two trade plan for a "win now" mode that is realistic and would make the Bulls, if not quite contenders, a dangerous team that no one would want to play.

First is the Lauri for Derozan dual sign and trade that I've been pushing for a while. Second is a Thad + Sato (and maybe a future 2nd rounder, but not sure it would be needed) for Ricky Rubio + Hernangomez swap.

Will talk about the "why" of both trades in a later post, but in terms of what the roster would look like after them (and noting that reshaping the roster with these two trades would let the Bulls operate as an "over the cap" team):

PG: Rubio, MLE-FA?, Arch
SG: Lavine, Coby, J.Green?
SF: Derozan, (Pat)/Brown, Temple?
PF: Pat/Theis, Aminu
CC: Vuc, (Theis), Hernangomez

Not sure whether Pat would start at the 4 as sort of a combo forward with Derozan, who plays plenty of "point 4" for the Spurs now, or whether you'd go bigger with Theis. My preference would be Pat, but that might also be development or even matchup dependent.

Anyway, assuming this is just an "off" season for Rubio (where his numbers are kind of bad across the board with the exception of assists) and you got a player along the lines of what he was in Utah and Phoenix, that would be a serious upgrade at PG. Meanwhile, Derozan would be a huge upgrade himself, although he'd probably need to take more 3s and hit them at a better rate than he's been doing in San Antonio (where Pop hasn't pushed him on that) - along the lines of his better from 3 TO seasons.

If those two adds worked out, you'd have a very dangerous team. Not a contender, per se, but not a team that anyone would want to see in the playoffs, either.

Return to Chicago Bulls