ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Cade Cunningham

Jalen Suggs

Jalen Green

Evan Mobley

Jonathan Kuminga

Scottie Barnes

Moses Moody

Jalen Johnson

Keon Johnson

Corey Kispert

Alperen Şengün

Franz Wagner

James Bouknight

Davion Mitchell

Ziaire Williams

Jaden Springer

Discuss.
jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 88

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#2 » by jvdas » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Green or bust for me. Think he is the perfect fit, considering the actual roster situation with the young guys. We're filled at PG with Fultz, Anthony and part time Hampton, Green would fit perfectly at SG to solve our scoring issues. He looks like a guy, who is capable of being a 25ppg scorer early in his career, exactly what Orlando needs from one of its guards.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#3 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm

jvdas wrote:Green or bust for me. Think he is the perfect fit, considering the actual roster situation with the young guys. We're filled at PG with Fultz, Anthony and part time Hampton, Green would fit perfectly at SG to solve our scoring issues. He looks like a guy, who is capable of being a 25ppg scorer early in his career, exactly what Orlando needs from one of its guards.

He would be. He is my number 1 as well. but still gotta keep your options open and get comfy with the possibility of someone else.

we'll see what happens.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#4 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 pm

I really want Cade or Green with the Orlando pick. I’ll take Suggs as a Plan B.

I completely understand why people aren’t sold on him but if we snag Scottie Barnes with the Chicago pick to pair with an elite guard (Cade/Green) this is a class for the future. I see something special in him; not a star to build around but a guy you want on your team and a defender you absolutely need. True, we have Isaac ... but do we? He’s always hurt.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#5 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I really want Cade or Green with the Orlando pick. I’ll take Suggs as a Plan B.

I completely understand why people aren’t sold on him but if we snag Scottie Barnes with the Chicago pick to pair with an elite guard (Cade/Green) this is a class for the future. I see something special in him; not a star to build around but a guy you want on your team and a defender you absolutely need. True, we have Isaac ... but do we? He’s always hurt.

Big wings that can pass and defend all positions are golden tickets in the current nba. I worry that Barnes touch will limit him a lot but after top 4-5 he is the highest upside prospect imo. Its funny that we are so short on wings/forwards right now.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,969

Post#6 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I really want Cade or Green with the Orlando pick. I’ll take Suggs as a Plan B.

isn't scottie another AG? just not as athletic?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#7 » by pepe1991 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Kuminga and Barnes might be solid prospects, and it's fine to think that, but add them to on zero spacing- zero offensive talent of Orlando Magic and you are setting them to fail.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#8 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:56 pm

KillMonger wrote:

I think Barnes is better passer. Even if we get AG 2.0 thats not a bad player on a rookie contract. You develop him with Clifford not Vogel and you can have something.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#9 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 pm

zaymon wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

I think Barnes is better passer. Even if we get AG 2.0 thats not a bad player on a rookie contract. You develop him with Clifford not Vogel and you can have something.

except in Clifford's offense he won't have the ball in his hands and he's probably just as bad or a even worse shooter than AG coming out of college....
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#10 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm

KillMonger wrote:

I always saw AG coming out of the draft as a super athletic kid still learning how to play basketball. To his credit he did improve and become a better basketball player but always relied so much on his athleticism. The idea that he was a great defender was over stated. His size and athleticism made him a capable defender but he was never a lockdown defender.

Barnes is VERY smart basketball player with legit NBA skills, minus shooting. He is a true shutdown defender at multiple positions and can facilitate the offense. You definitely still want a lead guard who can shoot to actually run your offense but having a secondary ball handler at the forward spot is never bad.

Just as AG improved, I hope Barnes can improve his shooting. If so ... he could be as good or better than anyone in this class. If not, he is still a lock to be a key role player for any playoff team.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#11 » by Knightro » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Kuminga and Barnes might be solid prospects, and it's fine to think that, but add them to on zero spacing- zero offensive talent of Orlando Magic and you are setting them to fail.

There will be many more opportunities to add spacing.

2021 is the first draft of what will likely be a lengthy rebuilding process.

If Barnes or Kuminga are guys they believe can be really good NBA players, then they should pick them and find pieces that fit around them in 2022 and 2023, either in the draft or via trades.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Post#12 » by Message Boar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:40 pm

Can any of you Green fans give me a reasonable (median outcome?) player comparison for what he could be for us? Haven't really dived into the actual prospects yet. I find that not having too strong of an opinion on draft night saves me a lot of frustration/stress. Then I read/watch everything on the prospects we add.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,787

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:40 pm

I just can't wait for the interviews, workouts,combines and etc, Im sure like me most of you will change your stance (if you are smart )

Things I wanna know from them:

Green - work ethic ( is he a gym rat constantly trying to improve both body and game)
- mentality ( does he have that killer mamba mentality or wiggins-like that im good already little left to improve )

Cade - speed/quickness ( laterally is he slow? How is his fast-twitch muscles to be able to blowby defenders?)

Suggs - no lingering injuries?
- is he really pushing 6'5 or 6'3?

What do you guys are curious about? I mean Im sure we are all experienced enough to know these interviews/workouts are really important and can affect one's draft status especially by the team picking him.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#14 » by Xatticus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 pm

KillMonger wrote:

I don't think so. He looks more like a Draymond/Anunoby hybrid to me. His shot is so broken though. He doesn't have the strength or bounce of AG, but he has a better frame. They were both able to push the ball in transition and pass in an open floor, but I think Barnes is more intuitive in the halfcourt and a much more advanced defender. He is an odd prospect to be sure, but he has a solid floor because he looks like a guy that you can get a lot of value from defensively.

This draft is looking pretty weak outside of the very top to me. Barnes is one of the few guys that is really intriguing, so I'd be happy to get him, but not with our first pick. I'd be disappointed with that. You just have to be patient and try to add something to his offensive game that allows him to use his passing.

There are no sure things outside of the top four, but I think I'd rather take Keon Johnson over Barnes. Johnson had a rough year at the offensive end, but you can see that his athleticism gives him a chance to be really good and the shot doesn't look that bad. Everyone outside of the top 4 is either old or has massive flaws.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#15 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm

Xatticus wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

I don't think so. He looks more like a Draymond/Anunoby hybrid to me. His shot is so broken though. He doesn't have the strength or bounce of AG, but he has a better frame. They were both able to push the ball in transition and pass in an open floor, but I think Barnes is more intuitive in the halfcourt and a much more advanced defender. He is an odd prospect to be sure, but he has a solid floor because he looks like a guy that you can get a lot of value from defensively.

This draft is looking pretty weak outside of the very top to me. Barnes is one of the few guys that is really intriguing, so I'd be happy to get him, but not with our first pick. I'd be disappointed with that. You just have to be patient and try to add something to his offensive game that allows him to use his passing.

There are no sure things outside of the top four, but I think I'd rather take Keon Johnson over Barnes. Johnson had a rough year at the offensive end, but you can see that his athleticism gives him a chance to be really good and the shot doesn't look that bad. Everyone outside of the top 4 is either old or has massive flaws.

I see....with barnes i see how his passing and defense can be an asset but i keep thinking though can clifford use him in the right way? AG and Khem in not so many words may have alluded to clifford not using them right or playing the wrong way....i would feel like if clifford got his hands on barnes he'd just stick him in a role that might not suit him...
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,684

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 pm

I think Barnes could play with Chuma or Isaac. His passing and defense are elite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,475

Post#17 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Okay its Cade or bust now
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#18 » by Xatticus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
KillMonger wrote:isn't scottie another AG? just not as athletic?

I see....with barnes i see how his passing and defense can be an asset but i keep thinking though can clifford use him in the right way? AG and Khem in not so many words may have alluded to clifford not using them right or playing the wrong way....i would feel like if clifford got his hands on barnes he'd just stick him in a role that might not suit him...

I honestly feel like the 5-10 range is nothing but lottery tickets. I really hope we get a top-4 pick and I'd be inclined to trade down with the Chicago pick and add two or three later picks to fill out the roster. We will have plenty of room on our roster for young guys and we could take chances on more intriguing talents like Sengun or Mathurin.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#19 » by pepe1991 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Barnes at college avearged 10 points, 4 rebound, 4 assists and 2,5 turnovers on 62% FTs and 27% for 3. Literally guy can't shoot pass restricted paint area.

Take away that force-fed 4 apg and he is fringe first round pick. This overreaching for something he might become, despite very little evidence he is that player today- to me comes off as Justice Winslow " playmaking ,elite defense improved jumpshot" when in reality guy raelly couldn't do anything at college but defend.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,684

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
Read on Twitter

Okay its Cade or bust now
He probably feels comfortable here after playing 1 or 2 years at Montverde.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic