HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Re: HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years) 

Post#201 » by slick_watts » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:04 pm

he can't shoot. his shot is flat and ugly and mechanically inconsistent. maybe it improves. but the rest of his skillset (the handle and passing, really, that's all it is) will be useless if he's a 30% 3pt shooter or worse long term. everyone wants to compare him to giannis for obvious reasons but there's only one giannis and not every lanky european without a jump shot transforms into a league mvp.
ayyayyron
Senior
And1: 627

Re: HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years) 

Post#202 » by ayyayyron » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Top-3 player might be a bit of a stretch, but top-10 seems fair
NBA fan first, Nets fan second, Grayson Allen hater third
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#203 » by _qubik » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 pm

slick_watts wrote:he can't shoot. his shot is flat and ugly and mechanically inconsistent. maybe it improves. but the rest of his skillset (the handle and passing, really, that's all it is) will be useless if he's a 30% 3pt shooter or worse long term. everyone wants to compare him to giannis for obvious reasons but there's only one giannis and not every lanky european without a jump shot transforms into a league mvp.

Thanks god theres just one freak wasting his potential trying to win just with physicality :lol: :lol: Giannis could be the best of two worlds, but apparently the doesnt give a **** to his fundamentals
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,539

Post#204 » by Alatan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 pm

slick_watts wrote:he can't shoot. his shot is flat and ugly and mechanically inconsistent. maybe it improves. but the rest of his skillset (the handle and passing, really, that's all it is) will be useless if he's a 30% 3pt shooter or worse long term. everyone wants to compare him to giannis for obvious reasons but there's only one giannis and not every lanky european without a jump shot transforms into a league mvp.

You are wrong. His shot is not as bad as you described it. It does lack a bit of arc and his release is a bit low but it can be easily tweaked. He is a 84% free throw shooter with a soft touch around the rim. The kid can shoot and youl see it in a season or two.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#205 » by Goudelock » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:51 am

Read on Twitter
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,321

Post#206 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 am

0-8 on 3’s. That jumper really does come and go huh?
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#207 » by Wargreymon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 am

Goudelock wrote:
Read on Twitter

Talk about cherry picking stats to lump him in with GOAT company....I don't understand the hype with this guy. Even just box score watching he isn't impressive at all. But I guess when you post a 6.8 PER as a rookie, u have MVP potential on this board.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#208 » by cjmcallist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 am

Scalabrine wrote:The potential is definitely there, he just need to get his body in NBA shape and stay healthy. Look at pictures of Durant, KP, Giannis when they were all rookies...

Can an OKC fan share how you guys view his work ethic?

Heard he’s a gym rat who just loves to play and loves the game. But that’s it. Nothing else really either way.

I think that says a lot - given the year these guys have had (drafted at 18, moved to Oklahoma on his own, struggled to speak English at his first press conference, can’t have his family travel to the US due to COVID, etc.).
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#209 » by cjmcallist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 am

Alatan wrote:

You are wrong. His shot is not as bad as you described it. It does lack a bit of arc and his release is a bit low but it can be easily tweaked. He is a 84% free throw shooter with a soft touch around the rim. The kid can shoot and youl see it in a season or two.

If you can - watch his shots pre G-League assignment and then compare them after. Not the same. Not worlds apart, but a little higher up.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,717

Post#210 » by UcanUwill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:02 am

OP made it clear in first post that his stats sucks, its not his stats that make him intruguing, even though getting 5 blocks shows promise of his potential. If you box score watching this guy, you are doing it wrong.
Wargreymon wrote:
Goudelock wrote:
Read on Twitter

Talk about cherry picking stats to lump him in with GOAT company....I don't understand the hype with this guy. Even just box score watching he isn't impressive at all. But I guess when you post a 6.8 PER as a rookie, u have MVP potential on this board.

Sent from my SM-A510F using RealGM mobile app
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#211 » by Mickey8 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am

He had good moments in the game,- all missed three point shots. He needs to drive more to the rim with the authority , good things happen when he does, its either a good look for himself or the assist to his teammates, the good thing is, he can take anyone off the dribble , guards or bigs, it doesn't matter.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#212 » by Mickey8 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 am

Another brilliant pass at 1:04 he shows the flashes of brilliance with the stuff like that.
Stickmann
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#213 » by Stickmann » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Wargreymon wrote:
Goudelock wrote:
Read on Twitter

Box score watching ... "Don't understand the hype with this guy" yeah I wonder why
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#214 » by Big J » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:47 pm

He reminds me of a taller, slower footed Andrei Kirilenko. Which, considering where they got him Thunder fans should be thrilled.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#215 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Mickey8 wrote:

Another brilliant pass at 1:04 he shows the flashes of brilliance with the stuff like that.

The passing off of the dribble is what impresses me most. I saw a highlight video of Dort's first quarter explosion and found myself drooling at the passes Poku was making. He hits shooters cross court, he gets pretty close to their shooting pocket, and he can do it from absurdly creative angles. It's really special.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#216 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Big J wrote:He reminds me of a taller, slower footed Andrei Kirilenko. Which, considering where they got him Thunder fans should be thrilled.

I mean I'd be thrilled to pick AK-47 as a number one pick right now on any team tbh. Such an amazing underrated player. So if Poku is that, the Thunder future is looking bright.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,919

Post#217 » by meekrab » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Fun player, but the kid needs braces, nobody's voting those messed up teeth for MVP.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#218 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm

meekrab wrote:Fun player, but the kid needs braces, nobody's voting those messed up teeth for MVP.

In a league where one guy is branded/marketed for having a nasty ass uni-brow?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#219 » by Big J » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
Big J wrote:He reminds me of a taller, slower footed Andrei Kirilenko. Which, considering where they got him Thunder fans should be thrilled.

I mean I'd be thrilled to pick AK-47 as a number one pick right now on any team tbh. Such an amazing underrated player. So if Poku is that, the Thunder future is looking bright.

The only part that concerns me is he will never have the foot speed to be a good 1 on 1 defender like AK47 was. He’s going to get put on an island and get roasted over and over.
IronflagNZ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#220 » by IronflagNZ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:02 am

Big J wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

The only part that concerns me is he will never have the foot speed to be a good 1 on 1 defender like AK47 was. He’s going to get put on an island and get roasted over and over.

Evidence that so many people here have not seen Poku play yet.

Return to The General Board