Game 55: MEM @ MIL 

Post#1 » by ducler » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Game 55: MEM @ MIL 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 am

Not a perfect half but you have to love what you're seeing out of Memphis right now..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 am

Have to like Dillon's defensive energy but why is he closing out on Giannis so hard???.. He should be playing him to drive, not shoot.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:39 am

That 5pt play for Bucks was **** ****.. Brook bricks a shot, kicks his leg out for 3 & they get the ball back because Tillman wasn't allowed his defensive space, lol weak sauce. 14pt lead now 9.

Tell me the league/refs don't control the game.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:28 am

How many of Giannis 12 FT;s were legit? lol. That last foul on Anderson looked like a clean block to me..

None the less, great game by Memphis.

The way Jenkins is currently playing Tillman & Jonas, looks like the rotation when Jaren is back with Tillman as his place holder.

If Memphis continue to play like this no team will want to draw them first round.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:49 am

That was impressive - I enjoined it a lot.

Brooks has turned into a very decent SF - wow. His putbacks went wild!

Grayson is a most improved player for last 12 months. He has deserved my genuine respect.

Bane surprised me, too. He went physical under the rim Brooks-alike on several occasions - it’s something new.

Ja played a playmaker first, a scorer and a superstar second. That’s always good for the team.

PS we looked healthy in terms of energy and chemistry. That excites me.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#7 » by E S V L » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 am

It’s not easy for me to say... I enjoyed JV in recent games, too.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#8 » by E S V L » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Whole Truth wrote:The way Jenkins is currently playing Tillman & Jonas, looks like the rotation when Jaren is back with Tillman as his place holder..

My gut feeling whispers me the following rotation:

Ja - GA - DB - Kyle - JV

bench: Tyus - Melton - Bane - JJJ - Tillman

Where JJJ, and Melton from time to time, will finish games in the start instead of JV and GA/DB.

PS Good luck to play against that bench.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#9 » by E S V L » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Credit to Tille, too. He is on the right path toward becoming a legit PF from the bench. He is light on his legs - can defend large small forwards. His block yesterday was amazing.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:21 pm

E S V L wrote:It’s not easy for me to say... I enjoyed JV in recent games, too.

I'm going to tell you straight ESVL, I rib you for wanting to trade Jonas but I'm not here to be right or wrong. I'm here because I like talking ball & the business aspect of it. If we all shared the same opinions, it would be no fun, don't feel no way for having an opinion or changing it.

You seeing a different player, improvement ?

IMO, it looks as though he's slightly improving defensively.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:57 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:The way Jenkins is currently playing Tillman & Jonas, looks like the rotation when Jaren is back with Tillman as his place holder..

Ja - GA - DB - Kyle - JV

Where JJJ, and Melton from time to time, will finish games in the start instead of JV and GA/DB.

Elephant in the room, where's Clarke ?

Last couple games Jenkins has been staggering Jonas/Allen without Morant, Jonas/Morant without Allen & Allen/Morant without Jonas to close games & IMO it's resulted in better defensive results, impressive wins.

Memphis are in a position they can ride the hot hand with their versatility & team first players. Grayson was hot from 3 the last 2 so I had no problem with Memphis closing games with Tillman over Jonas defensively. Ja is the future so I doubt he'd ride the bench to close games but if Jonas is on his game, I'd like to think Jenkins would compliment him with better perimeter defense too, if needed. Game to game closing decisions as to who to ride out.

Memphis have quality depth & versatility where they could run out several impressive bench combinations that most teams cannot match. The bench has been a strength for Memphis for 2yrs now. In 3J''s return, they only get better whether it's 3J or Jonas riding with the bench unit.

The only thing Memphis ate missing is that consistent 2 way wing/threat.. but if Dillon keeps playing like this... it may no longer be an issue.

I have Memphis dropping Winslow's contract/roster spot, if he & his TO cannot be traded for an asset whether alone or in combination. Memphis extending Jonas & Allen at a good price to retain assets. Drafting the best SG/SF prospect available whether they're able to trade up or not, then exercise patience with all these young players showing considerable improvement. It can't be overlooked that the youngest team in the league played an entire season without 3J & are in a playoff position. Chemistry is a big factor in winning & this team has it, don't want to mess with that for a non game changer like Oubre or Fournier as some have suggested. If there's no game changer available, run it back until opportunity presents itself. Who knows how much better these players can get. We Memphis fans have had all of Jonas, Anderson, Dillon & others floating in trade & have probably though better of it during the course of the season.

Memphis landed Bane & Tillman with no better than the 30th pick, hopefully whatever draft position Memphis land or trade into is another hit.. IMO, It's all that really needs to happen.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 pm

My favorite part of last nights game was Morant not shying away from the 3 ball, make or miss.

Getting him to the point of not being gun shy, Is big for both Ja & Memphis.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 pm

Ja has been shooting the 3 ball pretty well lately. Also nice to see us win all four quarters against the Bucks.

Also big news today. JJJ has been upgraded to Doubtful. We may have him back real soon.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Whole Truth wrote:My favorite part of last nights game was Morant not shying away from the 3 ball, make or miss.

I am surprised somebody still assumes that Ja can feel shy of doing anything on the court :)
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#15 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Ja - GA - DB - Kyle - JV

With all love and respect I have for Clarke, he found himself out of rotation: beyond JV and Tillman at 5 and Kyle and JJJ at 4.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#16 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
1. Memphis have quality depth & versatility where they could run out several impressive bench combinations that most teams cannot match.

2. I have Memphis dropping Winslow's contract/roster spot, if he & his TO cannot be traded for an asset whether alone or in combination.

1. Great point

2. I would agree. Brooks has emerged as our future SF. I believe Melton will join him soon once matured enough. We`ll likely draft a young SF/SG, too. Winslow should go, unless he proves something in the upcoming weeks or PO.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#17 » by VCfor3 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Ja - GA - DB - Kyle - JV

With all love and respect I have for Clarke, he found himself out of rotation: beyond JV and Tillman at 5 and Kyle and JJJ at 4.

I kind of feel like they'll put Clarke at the backup 5 with JJJ in that scenario instead of Tillman. I don't think Clarke will be the odd man out. Heck they may put Clarke at SF over Bane before they even consider taking him out of the rotation. Think there is too much love for Clarke in the FO and coaching staff for him to not find minutes.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:My favorite part of last nights game was Morant not shying away from the 3 ball, make or miss.

I am surprised somebody still assumes that Ja can feel shy of doing anything on the court :)

I don't believe he's shy or lacking confidence, his actions & decision making tell me he's gun shy from 3. As a matter of fact, just last night.. mot too long after Jonas kicked out of a double team for a Bane open 3, Ja was in a similar play top of the arc with a good 8 FT of open space & he turned down the open 3 for a repost with coverage on Jonas.. I would have liked to seen him take that shot without hesitation but the fact that he's doing it at al, is good.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies