Image ImageImage Image

OT: Boxing Paul vs. Askren Tonight

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

OT: Boxing Paul vs. Askren Tonight 

Post#1 » by 2018C3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Paul is the guy who knocked out Nate Robinson several months back. Tonight he is fighting Ben Askren.

Apparently Dana White has put a million dollar bet on Askren, followed up by Snoop Dog who offered to put two million on Jake Paul.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/jake-paul-vs-ben-askren-fight-prediction-odds-card-expert-picks-preview-for-boxing-showdown/

https://www.marca.com/en/boxing/2021/03/14/604e438ce2704e286a8b4596.html

I'm not going to pay for it, but will catch up on youtube highlights to see what happens.

Hopefully Askren wins, Paul is pretty cringy, and also offered Conor McGregor a million dollars to box him before accepting Askren.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Re: OT: Boxing Paul vs. Askren Tonight 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:55 pm

2018C3 wrote:Paul is the guy who knocked out Nate Robinson several months back. Tonight he is fighting Ben Askren.

Apparently Dana White has put a million dollar bet on Askren, followed up by Snoop Dog who offered to put two million on Jake Paul.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/jake-paul-vs-ben-askren-fight-prediction-odds-card-expert-picks-preview-for-boxing-showdown/

https://www.marca.com/en/boxing/2021/03/14/604e438ce2704e286a8b4596.html

I'm not going to pay for it, but will catch up on youtube highlights to see what happens.

Hopefully Askren wins, Paul is pretty cringy, and also offered Conor McGregor a million dollars to box him before accepting Askren.

Hilarious that Paul offered McGregor a million bucks to fight. McGregor is probably looking for another fight with someone like Floyd to make 30-40M and would probably still make 10M in any MMA fight.

I don't really care about Paul winning or losing. I'm sure there are people whom want to see him get beat up, but I know nothing about him really. I'd imagine going up against a professional fighter will be a new challenge, but Askren still isn't a boxer.

In an MMA match, I would thin Paul would get brutalized, in a boxing match, who knows how much skill Askren has.

Still, a professional fighter that is still used to exchange blows, taking damage, getting hit, etc... is a much more dangerous opponent than a professional athlete like Robinson, and Paul won't have a huge size advantage like he did against Robinson.

Will be interesting to see how long these novelty fights can make money.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by 2018C3 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:59 pm

Doug, I was wrong. I just checked and he actually offered McGregor 50 million, not one million. It would have been a big payday.

The reason its so big, is Paul has over 20 million followers on youtube, and I guess even more on other social media outlets. That's more than the entire population of LA / Chicago / NY / and Houston combined. When you think about it, that's crazy!
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,785

Post#4 » by RoyceDa59 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 pm

I’ll be checking into this one. Very unique fight.
Go Raps!!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 pm

2018C3 wrote:Doug, I was wrong. I just checked and he actually offered McGregor 50 million, not one million. It would have been a big payday.

I doubt there was real teeth behind that offer. Paul doesn't have that kind of money or even close. There's no guarantee that the PPV would come anywhere near that kind of cash either.

McGregor would have been nuts to turn it down if Paul could come up with the money to make that guarantee though. He would have almost certainly annihilated Paul.

That said, who knows, McGregor is his own weird dude that makes weird decisions. Maybe the money was legit and he didn't want a free 50M or thought if he loses that his legacy would just be completely destroyed and didn't want to take the chance because he's not really a boxer either.

The reason its so big, is Paul has over 20 million followers on youtube, and I guess even more on other social media outlets. That's more than the entire population of LA / Chicago / NY combined. When you think about it, that's crazy!

I certainly get why Paul can get an audience.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#6 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 pm

Why?
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#7 » by KL78192020 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:03 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:Why?

Askren said its his biggest payday ever. Get that money.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 pm

KL78192020 wrote:

Oh. I guess using Paul as a punching bag for the amount his getting is a pretty good deal for Askren. Probably won't watch it but here's to Askren beating the crap out of Paul.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,215

Post#9 » by Red8911 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Kendall Gill has been desperately trying to get a fight against Paul. Keeps posting about it but doubt Paul has any interest in Gill..
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#10 » by erlim » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:24 am

Red8911 wrote:Kendall Gill has been desperately trying to get a fight against Paul. Keeps posting about it but doubt Paul has any interest in Gill..

Yeah, there’s no way Paul would fight a nobody (to generation z’ers) like Gill. Nate Robinson is pretty popular on YouTube. Jake Paul is just picking fights with people he knows he has a huge huge advantage over.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by 2018C3 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 am

Snoop Dog's going to have a good night.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,340

Post#12 » by fleet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:14 am

KL78192020 wrote:

Who was the biggest hustler, Askren or Paul?

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#13 » by logical_art » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 am

"Boxing"
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#14 » by jc23 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 am

Knew i should have majored in "youtube influencer".
Be curious, Not judgmental
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Jeffster81 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:26 am

Jake and his brother are clowns of the Tom Green level. Of course Jake wants to fight legitimate fighters like Mayweather or McGregor because it raises his profile even in embarrassing defeat. Problem is, legitimate fighters don't want anything to do with Paul, so Paul finds clowns he can beat.

Jake Paul fights are on the same level as the "Celebrity Boxing Matches" that FOX used to run. But whatever, if that turd and his brother Logan, can make money by being celebutantes (the male version of Kardashians/Hiltons) then so be it.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#16 » by Lexluthor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:00 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:Jake and his brother are clowns of the Tom Green level. Of course Jake wants to fight legitimate fighters like Mayweather or McGregor because it raises his profile even in embarrassing defeat. Problem is, legitimate fighters don't want anything to do with Paul, so Paul finds clowns he can beat.

Jake Paul fights are on the same level as the "Celebrity Boxing Matches" that FOX used to run. But whatever, if that turd and his brother Logan, can make money by being celebutantes (the male version of Kardashians/Hiltons) then so be it.

But he can fight. He knocked outa former Bellator fighter . If Kendall Gill would fight him. Kendall would get an L
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Lexluthor wrote:But he can fight. He knocked outa former Bellator fighter . If Kendall Gill would fight him. Kendall would get an L

Gill would have a few things going for him. He's got a lot more experience boxing and would have a 7 inch height advantage. If he is technical enough, it'd be really hard for Paul to overcome that. At the same time, Paul is 24 and Gill is 52. Pretty hard to imagine that Gill has the strength / endurance at this age to match up with someone that is in amazing physical shape at 24.

Watched the knockout highlight in this one, and all I can say is Askren sure as hell didn't train for this fight. Dude looked fat and out of shape. I mean literally looked to be in about as good of shape as I am out there. Just seeing their two physiques and knowing nothing about them, you'd say yeah Askren is about to get his ass beat, he didn't show up ready to fight.

Being an ex MMA fighter was just a way to make the match sound more legit than it was. Askren's a wrestling background not a boxer or striker.
@doug_thonus on twitter
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by 2018C3 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:But he can fight. He knocked outa former Bellator fighter . If Kendall Gill would fight him. Kendall would get an L

Gill would have a few things going for him. He's got a lot more experience boxing and would have a 7 inch height advantage. If he is technical enough, it'd be really hard for Paul to overcome that. At the same time, Paul is 24 and Gill is 52. Pretty hard to imagine that Gill has the strength / endurance at this age to match up with someone that is in amazing physical shape at 24.

Watched the knockout highlight in this one, and all I can say is Askren sure as hell didn't train for this fight. Dude looked fat and out of shape. I mean literally looked to be in about as good of shape as I am out there. Just seeing their two physiques and knowing nothing about them, you'd say yeah Askren is about to get his ass beat, he didn't show up ready to fight.

Being an ex MMA fighter was just a way to make the match sound more legit than it was. Askren's a wrestling background not a boxer or striker.

I don't know who I'd pick if that were ever to happen. I would think reaction time would also be a issue. So far Jake has always fought smaller guys and had a height advantage. Ben Askren was technically the same size, but had a smaller frame and bigger belly.

Despite all of this, I really thought Nate Robinson was going to win their match, and I also thought Ben Askren competition experience was going to allow him to destroy Jake.

Jake is still young and has trained for three years. He has had access to the best advice and training money can buy. I still don't consider him a real fighter. But there is a strong likelyhood, he could kick all of our butts who post here.

He has found a way to make more money, and this celebrity pay per view stuff will likely continue until he is defeated.

Nate Diaz, has now said if Jake sends him a contract, he will accept.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm

2018C3 wrote:Nate Diaz, has now said if Jake sends him a contract, he will accept.

Seems like a good step for both of them.

I'd imagine that this fight actually might make Diaz more money than a UFC fight would.

For Paul, Diaz is now a super legit enough opponent that normal sports fans have heard of and respect.

Compared to Askren, Diaz is obviously going to train and come into the fight in elite shape. At the same time, Diaz is not a boxer either, and Paul could easily have a technique advantage. It's a fight against someone everyone would absolutely perceive as tough as hell but Paul would still have a shot at beating.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#20 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Hats off to Paul. It would be a near impossibility for him to get paydays like this going the traditional route. Saying he has nothing to lose is not right, if he loses he can't keep getting better opponents and the gig is up, Obviously if he loses to Connor he could still fight again but you get the point Most people aren't boxing fans though, most people like watching youtube video's of Mike Tyson knockouts. This is the format people can get behind and watch even though it appalls purists. I don't like it but I am also not the demographic they are going after.

Jake Paul may not be a world class professional fighter but he is indeed getting paid for his fights so he is a professional. @ 45 he would clean my clock pretty quickly and I have a pretty good chin but I am well 45 and far far from being in good shape and never a particularly good boxer to begin with (although I do love the sport). Plus I still have some CTE from getting hit by Andrew Golota in a dream I had 20 years ago LOL!!!!

Return to Chicago Bulls