ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 948

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#121 » by TheFutureMM » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 am

AJ Lawson opted in for the draft with an agent this year...

Read on Twitter

Anyone have a preview on Canadians in the draft this year? Seems like our streak of having zero guys drafted is going to roll over from 2020... Does Chris Duarte count? Thought he had Canadian ties but they seem SUPER thin upon doing some googling.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#122 » by mojo13 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am

TheFutureMM wrote:AJ Lawson opted in for the draft with an agent this year...

Read on Twitter

Anyone have a preview on Canadians in the draft this year? Seems like our streak of having zero guys drafted is going to roll over from 2020... Does Chris Duarte count? Thought he had Canadian ties but they seem SUPER thin upon doing some googling.

Yeah Duarte counts in my books. Even if he never plays for Canada, which seems the likely outcome.

However Bennedict Mathurin should be a 1st rounder if he declares. But he is a little under the radar and may drop. The real question is if he declares. Sean Miller’s is out at Arizona but he has not said anything yet. I’m not certain he declares but if Duarte doesn’t count for you then it rides on Mathurin because I don’t see anyone else with a legit chance. Maybe Quincy Guerrier...maybe. But Marcus Carr, AJ Lawson, Andrew Nembhard (if he declares) ain’t happening.

Josh Primo is a likely first rounder but i don’t see him declaring this year...just too young.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#123 » by Hair Canada » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:07 pm

I've said it before -- I think one guy coming out this year who actually has a chance of being a decent NBA player down the line is Eugene Omoruyi. He's not likely to get drafted, but I love his game and I think he's got a chance to carve out a spot for himself.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by Hair Canada » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm

A bit under the radar -- Brissett just had himself a career night yesterday with 13 (3-5 from behind the arc) and 6 in what was, I believe, his first career start. Seems to be taking advantage of the chances when they come which might get him a steady contract. If some of our big men don't make it, he's certainly in contention for an NT spot this summer.
— Steve Nash
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#125 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm

ESPN just released their 2022 Mock:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31292003/2022-nba-mock-draft-early-no-1-pick-battle-plus-emerging-international-prospects

Caleb Houstan @ 9
Benedict Matherin @ 18
Andrew Nembhard @ 35
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,411

Post#126 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:ESPN just released their 2022 Mock:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31292003/2022-nba-mock-draft-early-no-1-pick-battle-plus-emerging-international-prospects

Caleb Houstan @ 9
Benedict Matherin @ 18
Andrew Nembhard @ 35

In the article that accompanies the mock draft, he mentions Mathurin as one of the few "returning" NCAA players who are likely to be top 20 picks. I still haven't seen an announcement that confirms that he's not entering the draft this year, but Jonathan Givony has pretty good sources, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

It's tough to say if that's a good decision with the coaching change at Arizona. I've become a firm believer in Mathurin's talent. There are definitely still some things he needs to work on (like ballhandling, where he can get sloppy at times), but I'm not sure if he'd be better to continue to work on those things in college, or with an NBA team, and having access to summer league, a pro training camp, and time in the G-League.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#127 » by mojo13 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
BilboBanginz wrote:ESPN just released their 2022 Mock:

Caleb Houstan @ 9
Benedict Matherin @ 18
Andrew Nembhard @ 35

In the article that accompanies the mock draft, he mentions Mathurin as one of the few "returning" NCAA players who are likely to be top 20 picks. I still haven't seen an announcement that confirms that he's not entering the draft this year, but Jonathan Givony has pretty good sources, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

It's tough to say if that's a good decision with the coaching change at Arizona. I've become a firm believer in Mathurin's talent. There are definitely still some things he needs to work on (like ballhandling, where he can get sloppy at times), but I'm not sure if he'd be better to continue to work on those things in college, or with an NBA team, and having access to summer league, a pro training camp, and time in the G-League.

There are growing thoughts in Tucson that new coach Tommy Lloyd can retain Mathurin. He is bringing Omar Ballo with him which is a good sign. Sounds like the Arizona fan base is getting more confident in the last week. Supposedly he wiped his social media clean of all things Wildcats a week or so a go, but a couple days ago it all reappeared (for what it is worth that was just randos talking on Twitter - so who knows). But yes - it is quite the unknown at this point.

I'm more interested in why Josh Primo isn't on this list. Their last 2022 mock had him near lottery if I recall. Anything of concern there?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by Hair Canada » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Hair Canada wrote:A bit under the radar -- Brissett just had himself a career night yesterday with 13 (3-5 from behind the arc) and 6 in what was, I believe, his first career start. Seems to be taking advantage of the chances when they come which might get him a steady contract. If some of our big men don't make it, he's certainly in contention for an NT spot this summer.

And there it is. According to Woj (that is, it happened), the Pacers signed Brissett to a 3-year deal. Love it.

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/url]
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#129 » by Kenter16 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Hair Canada wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:A bit under the radar -- Brissett just had himself a career night yesterday with 13 (3-5 from behind the arc) and 6 in what was, I believe, his first career start. Seems to be taking advantage of the chances when they come which might get him a steady contract. If some of our big men don't make it, he's certainly in contention for an NT spot this summer.

And there it is. According to Woj (that is, it happened), the Pacers signed Brissett to a 3-year deal. Love it.

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/url]

This puts him on the roster for the OQT, IMO. He played great in the G league and is showing he has role player potential in the NBA. His relationship and history with Nick Nurse and Team Canada puts him firmly in the mix. I would think the only way he is not there is if Indy wins it's first round series. Which is going to be tough. They are pretty banged up, safe to say they will not climb in the standings. That means they have to get through the play in games and then face the 76er's or Nets.
Let's put the probability at like 95% he is on the roster.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#130 » by mojo13 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 am

Kenter16 wrote:
Hair Canada wrote:

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/url]

This puts him on the roster for the OQT, IMO. He played great in the G league and is showing he has role player potential in the NBA. His relationship and history with Nick Nurse and Team Canada puts him firmly in the mix. I would think the only way he is not there is if Indy wins it's first round series. Which is going to be tough. They are pretty banged up, safe to say they will not climb in the standings. That means they have to get through the play in games and then face the 76er's or Nets.
Let's put the probability at like 95% he is on the roster.

I don’t know. Just because he signs a deal with the Pacers doesn’t make him a better player all of sudden.
Perhaps it depends on role and need but I don’t see Brissett as any better than a number of Euro based players considering their FIBA and SMNT experience.

Would you take Brissett over Ejim or Pierre? Or over Nicholson? Don’t think I would in a vacuum.

The low level NBA players - Brissett, Mulder, Lyles, Darling, Mane, Kabengele- aren’t better at FIBA than Pierre, Ejim, Pangos, Shayok, the Ennis’s, the Scrubbs, Stauskas. It’s about fit, role, experience. I certainty see a path for Brissett on the team, but it is far from a sure thing and dependent on who else shows.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#131 » by Kenter16 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:13 pm

https://theathletic.com/2530391/2021/04/21/murphy-and-koreen-who-will-join-luguentz-dort-and-rj-barrett-in-victoria-this-summer/

Great breakdown of the roster possibilities for the OQT. Warning - subscription required.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#132 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Good to see discussion picking up . Here's a few of my own comments.

- The Athletic article is solid - such a hard topic given all the uncertainties. Blake Murphy has told me he follows this thread.

- Some on twitter have questioned Dort about saying he has to " tryout " for Team Canada. I'm sure though it's just a language barrier thing and he probably meant something like I'm coming to camp. I know somebody who played with him at Orangeville Prep and his English at that time was very rudimentary. French is his mother tongue and he is only now becoming more versed in English. Every NBA player that shows up will have had long discussions with coach Nurse beforehand about their expected role on the team , if NBA guys come they will not be cut.

- I'd like to know more about Brissett's contract details, no mention if years 2 and 3 are guaranteed ? Even the Raptors gave him a partial guarantee of $ 300,000 last year to show up for camp. This will have implications in regard to his June availability. One thing Oshae has an advantage in is that he played for Team Canada all of August 2019 in Australia right up to just before the World Cup which he missed due to a late knee injury. Having all that repetition in the Nurse system has to help.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#133 » by mojo13 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm

Kenter16 wrote:https://theathletic.com/2530391/2021/04/21/murphy-and-koreen-who-will-join-luguentz-dort-and-rj-barrett-in-victoria-this-summer/

Great breakdown of the roster possibilities for the OQT. Warning - subscription required.

It is a really good overview and worth the read.

You and the other regular posters I’m sure are unaware contributors. This is the best source of info out there and I’m speculating they wander in here from time to time low profile.

Josh Primo just declared for the draft but maintaining his eligibility. Could be a test the waters thing or he could be serious.
Saw a blurb saying he was 38 on ESPNs new Big Board. Can anyone post the other Canadians?
Kenter16
Junior

Post#134 » by Kenter16 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Good to see discussion picking up . Here's a few of my own comments.

- The Athletic article is solid - such a hard topic given all the uncertainties. Blake Murphy has told me he follows this thread.

- Some on twitter have questioned Dort about saying he has to " tryout " for Team Canada. I'm sure though it's just a language barrier thing and he probably meant something like I'm coming to camp. I know somebody who played with him at Orangeville Prep and his English at that time was very rudimentary. French is his mother tongue and he is only now becoming more versed in English. Every NBA player that shows up will have had long discussions with coach Nurse beforehand about their expected role on the team , if NBA guys come they will not be cut.

- I'd like to know more about Brissett's contract details, no mention if years 2 and 3 are guaranteed ? Even the Raptors gave him a partial guarantee of $ 300,000 last year to show up for camp. This will have implications in regard to his June availability. One thing Oshae has an advantage in is that he played for Team Canada all of August 2019 in Australia right up to just before the World Cup which he missed due to a late knee injury. Having all that repetition in the Nurse system has to help.

Sounds like only this year is guaranteed. May not be the best contract situation to being putting in a full summer of FIBA with. Not sure how insurance works on non guaranteed contracts. But an injury could mean that Indy could move on and waive him without having to pay him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/oshae-brissett-32418/
mojo13
Veteran

Post#135 » by mojo13 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Good to see discussion picking up . Here's a few of my own comments.

Sounds like only this year is guaranteed. May not be the best contract situation to being putting in a full summer of FIBA with. Not sure how insurance works on non guaranteed contracts. But an injury could mean that Indy could move on and waive him without having to pay him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/oshae-brissett-32418/

My understanding is the FIBA provided insurance will cover for time missed (up to one year, along with medical costs) based on the last year's salary for those without guaranteed contracts going forward. Not great for young, up and coming players who's best earning years may be ahead of them - maybe not so bad for aged vets on the decline.

One could of course, buy supplemental insurance in the private market to cover anything. What that costs and who pays for it are the real questions.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#136 » by Hair Canada » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 pm

ESPN big board:

25. Duarte
38. Primo
58. Mathurin (quite undervalued if you ask me)
79. Nembhard
94. Carr

No Lawson, nor Omoruyi (the latter would certainly be in my top-100).
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior

Post#137 » by Kenter16 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 am

Boucher hurt. Knee injury. Can we just stop the NBA season already! We don't need another guy out for the summer. Hopefully its not bad.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#138 » by Hair Canada » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 am

Hope nothing serious for CB. In the meanwhile, here's someone who doesn't want this season to end: Brissett looking like an all-star... 23, 12, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in a W for the Pacers.
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#139 » by mojo13 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 am

Hair Canada wrote:Hope nothing serious for CB. In the meanwhile, here's someone who doesn't want this season to end: Brissett looking like an all-star... 23, 12, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in a W for the Pacers.

If he keeps that up, I’ll be happily eating me words right quick. Brissett is a story to watch as the season plays out. Along with the Raptors and Knicks playing too well for my liking lately. What if either go Ona couple round playoff run?
Kenter16
Junior

Post#140 » by Kenter16 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Well, here is one world event that was going to take place in Canada that was outright cancelled. It was set to take place May 6 - 16th. Not sure that six weeks after this they will allow the OQT to be played in Victoria. This may set the precedent.
I think Canada Basketball should box that court back up and get it ready to go to Florida or Vegas or Texas.

Return to Toronto Raptors