ImageImageImage

Game 57: Golden State Warriors (28-29) @ Philadelphia 76ers (39-17) l Monday l 7:30pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Re: Game 57: Golden State Warriors (28-29) @ Philadelphia 76ers (39-17) l Monday l 7:30pm 

Post#161 » by hookshot199 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:19 am

Don wrote:This was unfortunately a bad game for Hill to come back. That ending for him didn’t go well.

My take was different. This game, if Hill remains healthy, has just reshuffled the deck for us.

Moving forward, Hill will gradually be our point guard in crunch time. Ben will bring up the ball,
waste eight seconds, then pass it to Hill. We will see fewer turnovers, more drives to the basket
(which is good because Hill can close, Ben's trick or treat), and a more watchable offensive game.

I felt good about what Hill did - when he made his first basket at around the 6-minute mark in the
third quarter.

Moving forward, Kork will get fewer minutes and while Seth still might start the game he won't be
on the court in the end.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Re: Game 57: Golden State Warriors (28-29) @ Philadelphia 76ers (39-17) l Monday l 7:30pm 

Post#162 » by DCasey91 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 am

We are still banking on Harris’s shot creation for this team so it won’t be pretty in the end imo.

Have to get the one seed for any sort of hope and Embiid’s midrange game has to translate in the playoffs. Lakers are still a way better version than us. We have poor ballhandlers on our team across the board. Hill isn’t the savior at all. (More off ball than primary).

HCA, Defense, Interior pressure, Rebounds, Steals & 2nd chance points all have to account for a lot.

Our scoring/creation/facilitating is very very low.

We can keep teams under 110-115 the problem is getting to 110-115.

Roberson is playable next to Durant, Thybulle/Howard isn’t playable next to Ben for long stretches (Embiid to a certain degree too I might add).

We’ve had the same troubles now it’s going to look worse once again in the playoffs.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#163 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 am

Sixerscan wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:
phillynative wrote:Doc seemed to go with living with steph curry going off but shutting down anyone else. Didnt work well for us because Steph was able to get hot and beat the sixers on his own.

Yea, like doc literally said in one of those mid game interviews that he wasn’t worried about curry and was worried about his teammates. Just wasn’t the right decision. Not the end of the world. On to the next one.

I think his point was they were losing the game because everyone besides Embiid wasn't scoring enough.

Can win games giving up 107, don't win many games scoring 96.

I just dont understand who Doc expected to score once Embiid was dbld and Shake was having a bad nite and Tobi and Ben out. Once steph curry got hot(maybe before) the ball should of been forced out of his hands. This team especially without Tobi and Ben do not have the personnel to go back & forth with the best shooter of all time who has been on a rampage.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,620

Post#164 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 pm

idk why but this game has me in my feelings lol. I am mad as **** for some reason.

Yeah Steph is hax mode and we were missing two starters but goddam I am livid lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#165 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm

phillynative wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Yea, like doc literally said in one of those mid game interviews that he wasn’t worried about curry and was worried about his teammates. Just wasn’t the right decision. Not the end of the world. On to the next one.

I think his point was they were losing the game because everyone besides Embiid wasn't scoring enough.

I just dont understand who Doc expected to score once Embiid was dbld and Shake was having a bad nite and Tobi and Ben out. Once steph curry got hot(maybe before) the ball should of been forced out of his hands. This team especially without Tobi and Ben do not have the personnel to go back & forth with the best shooter of all time who has been on a rampage.

Go back and forth with him, maybe not, score more than 15 points in a quarter, probably.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 698

Post#166 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:39 pm

Mik317 wrote:idk why but this game has me in my feelings lol. I am mad as **** for some reason.

Yeah Steph is hax mode and we were missing two starters but goddam I am livid lol.

Yea, I get that. My frustration is because it seemed GS’ game plan was to make life as miserable as possible for embiid. We didn’t reciprocate on the other end. Felt like we were too arrogant to scheme against one player whereas they said, embiid isn’t beating us. Now, had we had Tobias and Ben you would hope their strategy wouldn’t work as well, but nevertheless, doesn’t mean we were smart. Up by 3 with 6 minutes left despite how badly we played, we had a chance. Then their star killed us and ours was getting jumped every time he touched it.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#167 » by hookshot199 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:
Mik317 wrote:idk why but this game has me in my feelings lol. I am mad as **** for some reason.

Yea, I get that. My frustration is because it seemed GS’ game plan was to make life as miserable as possible for embiid. We didn’t reciprocate on the other end. Felt like we were too arrogant to scheme against one player whereas they said, embiid isn’t beating us. Now, had we had Tobias and Ben you would hope their strategy wouldn’t work as well, but nevertheless, doesn’t mean we were smart. Up by 3 with 6 minutes left despite how badly we played, we had a chance. Then their star killed us and ours was getting jumped every time he touched it.

GS is a good team, well coached. Had Simmons been there for his defense, not offense, Curry probably wouldn't have scored 49 and the outcome might have been different. Despite everything I feel about Simmons' offense and refusal to shoot, he makes it harder for great shooters to shoot.
rulebook
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#168 » by rulebook » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:

In fairness it’s much easier to double a center—even a dominant one—than it is a guard. The warriors are great off the ball and have the skill to pick apart a double team on the perimeter. Maybe doc should have tried more, but the idea they would have make life miserable for Steph by doubling is a bit of a stretch.

If the sixers shot to their average they probably win.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#169 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:45 pm

rulebook wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:

In fairness it’s much easier to double a center—even a dominant one—than it is a guard. The warriors are great off the ball and have the skill to pick apart a double team on the perimeter. Maybe doc should have tried more, but the idea they would have make life miserable for Steph by doubling is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah if you could simply stop Curry from shooting even with this supporting cast he wouldn't be averaging 41 a night in 10 games this month.

Next time Shaq gets on Embiid for not being tough enough hopefully someone points out to him that he wasn't expected to hard show and recover on screens 35 feet out.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#170 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:09 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
rulebook wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Yea, I get that. My frustration is because it seemed GS’ game plan was to make life as miserable as possible for embiid. We didn’t reciprocate on the other end. Felt like we were too arrogant to scheme against one player whereas they said, embiid isn’t beating us. Now, had we had Tobias and Ben you would hope their strategy wouldn’t work as well, but nevertheless, doesn’t mean we were smart. Up by 3 with 6 minutes left despite how badly we played, we had a chance. Then their star killed us and ours was getting jumped every time he touched it.

Yeah if you could simply stop Curry from shooting even with this supporting cast he wouldn't be averaging 41 a night in 10 games this month.

Next time Shaq gets on Embiid for not being tough enough hopefully someone points out to him that he wasn't expected to hard show and recover on screens 35 feet out.

Haha, yea I mean, embiid doing that throughout a game on curry isn’t sustainable and is a good example of how certain bigs have gotten played off the floor in the past because of their inability to defend this action. Houston had some success against the Curry pick and roll by going smaller and being able to switch it. They could have trapped or hard showed the last five minutes though. Lillard was talking the other day about how teams now face guard him once he’s past half court and just give up wide open shots to his teammates instead of letting him touch it.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#171 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm

This has me thinking about how Kevin love had to defend curry in that key play where Cleveland won the finals. Draymond set the screen and Love had a great switch. Curry still could have knocked it down, but love at least prevented the walk up three and forced curry to dance a bit.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#172 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Steph mentioned how Seth is one of the guys who can defend him the best.

I doubt this shows on numbers.

But it’s more on eyetest where I find Seth to know Steph’s game well that he can stay grounded and rarely gambles on steph’s tricks, unlike what you saw with Thybulle or Green. So I understand why Doc put Seth on Steph. The problem is Seth is quite short to challenge his shot and Steph is the greatest shooter of all time.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#173 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:This has me thinking about how Kevin love had to defend curry in that key play where Cleveland won the finals. Draymond set the screen and Love had a great switch. Curry still could have knocked it down, but love at least prevented the walk up three and forced curry to dance a bit.

Refs allowed a lot of hand checking in that finals series, and in the playoffs so it’s a bit easier to defend Steph in the play-offs than on regular season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pm

76ciology wrote:Steph mentioned how Seth is one of the guys who can defend him the best.

But it’s more on eyetest where I find Seth to know Steph’s game well that he can stay grounded and rarely gambles on steph’s tricks, unlike what you saw with Thybulle or Green. So I understand why Doc put Seth on Steph. The problem is Seth is quite short to challenge his shot and Steph is the greatest shooter of all time.

Yea, I’m sure Seth was doing fine under the circumstances, but the Curry /Draymond pick and roll is famous at this point and playing it like Steph is a random player usually doesn’t work. I almost wonder if embiid could have guarded Wiggins or something for some of those possessions and you put Thybulle onto Draymond and then switch the screen immediately. That way you can switch it without having embiid constantly on an island. If they still screen embiid you can trap / double and force Wiggins to make the right read and play make on the dump off. Not as good as Draymond there presumably.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#175 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pm

When steph is shooting that well, I think Embiid has to step out to the perimeter. Its a mixed bag where sometimes he did step out and some times he played some sort of an ICE on PnR defense.

The best defense is to trap steph and force guys like oubre and wiggins to beat you. Just as GSW traps Biid and forces other guys to beat them.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm

76ciology wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:This has me thinking about how Kevin love had to defend curry in that key play where Cleveland won the finals. Draymond set the screen and Love had a great switch. Curry still could have knocked it down, but love at least prevented the walk up three and forced curry to dance a bit.

Refs allowed a lot of hand checking in that finals series, and in the playoffs so it’s a bit easier to defend Steph in the play-offs than on regular season.

Fair enough.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#177 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:
76ciology wrote:Steph mentioned how Seth is one of the guys who can defend him the best.

Yea, I’m sure Seth was doing fine under the circumstances, but the Curry /Draymond pick and roll is famous at this point and playing it like Steph is a random player usually doesn’t work. I almost wonder if embiid could have guarded Wiggins or something for some of those possessions and you put Thybulle onto Draymond and then switch the screen immediately. That way you can switch it without having embiid constantly on an island. If they still screen embiid you can trap / double and force Wiggins to make the right read and play make on the dump off. Not as good as Draymond there presumably.

Possible. Warriors play this kind of defense it’s called pre-switching. This allows them to counter whenever opposing teams tries to hunt Steph on defense.

I still think your best option was to trap steph and get the ball out of his hands. Not always but a lot more frequent.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#178 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm

phillynative wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Yea, like doc literally said in one of those mid game interviews that he wasn’t worried about curry and was worried about his teammates. Just wasn’t the right decision. Not the end of the world. On to the next one.

Its one of those games where you know it’s over midway but you have to play hard to end the game.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#179 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Chase steph. Green sets a good screen (good at setting illegal screens). Your a step or two behind. You have to challenge the greatest shooter of all time. This kind of actions happens.

Bigs have to step out and trap steph.

This is why Warriors love having the Jazz in the playoffs. That eventually forces Gobert to learn how to step out on defense (not updated but last time i checked he improved).

Read on Twitter
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#180 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm

Have you watched the other games Steph has had during this run? Are all those other coaches of teams that are giving up 40 a night to him also running terrible schemes? Or it's more complicated than that. You can cover him perfectly 95% of the time but the 5% you don't he's going to pull up from 30 and it's a layup for him right now.

"Cover Steph Curry perfectly without your best perimeter defender" just seems like a much higher bar right now than "score more than 15 points in the 3rd quarter".

Return to Philadelphia 76ers