2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#341 » by Old Man Game » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Didn't watch Kai enough. Don't get Kispert at 7...

Davion Mitchell in some top 10/12. Don't think a team will draft him that high.

Chad Ford had Mitchell at number 6 on his recent big board.

Seems stupid high for a dude who is at best likely Patrick Beverly.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#342 » by Old Man Game » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:30 am

Have ran the lottery sim thing enough on tankathon.com (is that even accurate, the end user would never know if it weren't) that I've begun to allow myself to watch some draft preview stuff on Kuminga. I like him but I don't absolutely love him. One thing that is interesting though is some of the passes he makes pushing it in transition. Really solid vision.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#343 » by Dn4sty » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:10 am

Old Man Game wrote:Have ran the lottery sim thing enough on tankathon.com (is that even accurate, the end user would never know if it weren't) that I've begun to allow myself to watch some draft preview stuff on Kuminga. I like him but I don't absolutely love him. One thing that is interesting though is some of the passes he makes pushing it in transition. Really solid vision.

I don’t think his shot is broken in spite of the poor percentage from 3 in bubble. I keep thinking Jaylen Brown type ceiling.

His floor is not great though
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#344 » by retrobro90 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:29 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Didn't watch Kai enough. Don't get Kispert at 7...

Davion Mitchell in some top 10/12. Don't think a team will draft him that high.

Chad Ford had Mitchell at number 6 on his recent big board.

Seems stupid high for a dude who is at best likely Patrick Beverly.

Davion is probably the last dude (out of the prospects most project to go in the lotto) I would want OKC to select. 6'2" defensive guard with one outlier 3pt shooting season despite every other shooting stat across his entire college career looking like he won't ever be a high level shooter. Reminds me a lot of Dort because he plays below the rim on offense but not sure if he's the worker Dort is and he's actually older than Lu. I saw the same plays he made in the tourney everyone else did and I'm not even certain he's the better Baylor backcourt player between him and Butler.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#345 » by retrobro90 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 am

Old Man Game wrote:Have ran the lottery sim thing enough on tankathon.com (is that even accurate, the end user would never know if it weren't) that I've begun to allow myself to watch some draft preview stuff on Kuminga. I like him but I don't absolutely love him. One thing that is interesting though is some of the passes he makes pushing it in transition. Really solid vision.

Yeah that first game of his especially it was on near full display what he could be as a playmaker. Not so much off a live dribble but hit aheads and reads out of the post were both there. I love his athleticism too. Think that's getting overlooked. The concerns with him I have are mostly about his injury history but he might honestly have the highest ceiling of anyone is this draft (Cade included). Think he's got quite a bit more than Jaylen Brown did coming out of Cal but Brown is one of the league's brightest and best learners.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#346 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Little early for 2022 material, but here's the current #1 prospect that's headed to Duke next year. Givony mentions there's not a ton of hype about this group yet, primarily because none of the usual tournaments/invitationals have been able to happen for over a year so the scouting has been minimal to say the least.
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#347 » by itzmrgigglez » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 pm

Dream Scenario:

We get #4
Houston gets#5 so we get their pick

Take Jalen Green and Johnathan Kuminga

Who would y’all take if we get this scenario? Cuz we do need a solid starting SF and just bigger wing defenders. I like Poku and Bazely at center and power forward for now. Roby and Brown are not starting quality
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#348 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 pm

itzmrgigglez wrote:Dream Scenario:

We get #4

Who would y’all take if we get this scenario? Cuz we do need a solid starting SF and just bigger wing defenders. I like Poku and Bazely at center and power forward for now. Roby and Brown are not starting quality

My dream scenario would be number 1 and 5, not 4 & 5.
Cade
Mobley
Suggs/Green (undecided)
Kuminga
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#349 » by Dn4sty » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

We get #4

Cade
Mobley
Suggs/Green (undecided)
Kuminga

I think at 3 I’d take Green over Suggs. I think Suggs is a much safer pick, but I think I’d rather take my chances on the Green lottery ticket, as his ceiling appears to me to be higher than Suggs. Although you can’t really go wrong either way.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

We get #4

Cade
Mobley
Suggs/Green (undecided)
Kuminga

I think at 3 I’d take Green over Suggs. I think Suggs is a much safer pick, but I think I’d rather take my chances on the Green lottery ticket, as his ceiling appears to me to be higher than Suggs. Although you can’t really go wrong either way.

Ya I don’t disagree with that. I just kind of see the guy who wanted to play college basketball at a small school in Spokane as maybe a better fit in okc than Green. That’s the same reason I have Cade above Mobley. I don’t even totally agree with what I just typed about putting fit above talent but when i think if it’s close, I might make that decision. I’m definitely not adamant about my draft opinions.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#351 » by jake_swivel » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:31 am

Just watched some Green g-league highlights. Don’t have much to say about him, but I DID notice that Jarrett Jack was playing with him. Jarrett Jack?! Blast from the past. Wonder why.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:15 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Just watched some Green g-league highlights. Don’t have much to say about him, but I DID notice that Jarrett Jack was playing with him. Jarrett Jack?! Blast from the past. Wonder why.

I think adding veteran leadership was part of the plan with the ignite team. So it's not just a matter of getting paid and skipping college but adding some value to the experience.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#353 » by jake_swivel » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:11 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I think adding veteran leadership was part of the plan with the ignite team. So it's not just a matter of getting paid and skipping college but adding some value to the experience.

Surprised he doesn’t just go into coaching or play in another pro league, though. G-league pays under 50k, doesn’t it?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#354 » by Old Man Game » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm

I'm sweating having to play the Kings 3 times in the last 7 games. On the one hand its they're legit trying to make the play-in tourney but they may be mathematically eliminated by then (if they aren't already). Also, its the Kings. Then we got Utah and LAC the last two games who almost certainly won't be playing starters. Just don't want to see those lottery odds slip through our fingers in the last two weeks of the season.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#355 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Worst case for us in the standings at this point is 6th, we're 4 games up on 7th. Don't see any way we win 4 games in the final 13 with the way we're playing - we've lost to 2nd/3rd stringers of Detroit, Toronto, and Indiana all in the past week! Wouldn't rule out us passing or drawing even with one of Detroit/Orlando, they still have 1 game left against each other.

Read on Twitter

This guy's been doing updates each day to show odds of getting 0/1/2 top 5 picks based on the results coming in, useful graph.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#356 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Assuming that HOU keeps their own pick (And I think that will happen, whether its the odds or the NBA tinkering), but also assuming OKC ends up top 3, I like this scenario:

OKC FRP - Jalen Suggs G - Elite talent with elite effort who already plays at his own pace.

Trade up from MIA FRP using future LAC FRP (Earliest possible pick from them, as it should be lowest)

TRADE UP FRP - Franz Wagner SF - 5th starter, low usage type who does all the little things and defends at a very high level

Sign Zach Collins - I keep suggesting this, sorry if its old by now lol

G - Jalen Suggs / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Lou Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Kenrich Williams / Franz Wagner / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski/ Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Al Horford / Zach Collins / Moses Brown

That team is loaded with talent, but talent that eat-and-breathe basketball as well. Just tons of guys who, old and young, that really understand the game.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#357 » by Dn4sty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Assuming that HOU keeps their own pick (And I think that will happen, whether its the odds or the NBA tinkering), but also assuming OKC ends up top 3, I like this scenario:

OKC FRP - Jalen Suggs G - Elite talent with elite effort who already plays at his own pace.

Trade up from MIA FRP using future LAC FRP (Earliest possible pick from them, as it should be lowest)

TRADE UP FRP - Franz Wagner SF - 5th starter, low usage type who does all the little things and defends at a very high level

Sign Zach Collins - I keep suggesting this, sorry if its old by now lol

G - Jalen Suggs / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Lou Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Kenrich Williams / Franz Wagner / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski/ Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Al Horford / Zach Collins / Moses Brown

That team is loaded with talent, but talent that eat-and-breathe basketball as well. Just tons of guys who, old and young, that really understand the game.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’m not a fan of Franz at all. I just don’t see it with him. I’d rather trade back in and take Giddey.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#358 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 pm

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’m not a fan of Franz at all. I just don’t see it with him. I’d rather trade back in and take Giddey.

I feel that Franz fits much better on a team with so many good ballhandlers than Giddey, who is ball dominant.

Wagner has really good tools to be a great role player. Like, potentially a Mike Miller level guy with better defense if it all clicks IMO but likely closer to a less bouncy James Posey. His raw and advanced defensive metrics are great (Nearly 2.5 STL+BLK per game for a peremiter forward in a good conference is insane). He needs to work on the 3PT consistency, but he checks so many boxes. He is a great 'move the ball' passer in that he gets his AST from making quick, smart passes rather than being ball dominant. Good rebounder. Just seems like a shoe in to be an excellent role player.

I get the appeal with Giddey, he has natural PG instincts at 6'8, but with Suggs, SGA, Theo, Ty, Poku and even Dort (at times) on the squad I take the low usage, does-all-the-little-things guy over another ballhandler.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#359 » by retrobro90 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:26 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I feel that Franz fits much better on a team with so many good ballhandlers than Giddey, who is ball dominant.

Wagner has really good tools to be a great role player. Like, potentially a Mike Miller level guy with better defense if it all clicks IMO but likely closer to a less bouncy James Posey. His raw and advanced defensive metrics are great (Nearly 2.5 STL+BLK per game for a peremiter forward in a good conference is insane). He needs to work on the 3PT consistency, but he checks so many boxes. He is a great 'move the ball' passer in that he gets his AST from making quick, smart passes rather than being ball dominant. Good rebounder. Just seems like a shoe in to be an excellent role player.

I get the appeal with Giddey, he has natural PG instincts at 6'8, but with Suggs, SGA, Theo, Ty, Poku and even Dort (at times) on the squad I take the low usage, does-all-the-little-things guy over another ballhandler.

Ignoring Wagner's specifics I kinda think it's in OKC's best interest to continue taking whoever they think has star potential (maybe they think that about Wagner, maybe they don't). Shai is currently the only guaranteed stud right now and even in your hypothetical proposal I don't think Suggs is guaranteed for success in that role (though I do like Suggs). If the idea behind a pick like Wagner is "he fits in lineups with Ty Jerome" then I'm less than enthused. Would rather they kept taking home run swings until they know they've hit. Again, maybe they think Wagner is a home run swing but I just don't want them to draft with the idea that now is the time to fill out this roster with play finishers and "ball movers" aka guys that give the ball back to the stars.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#360 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 pm

TBH really like Wagner myself. I haven't been sold on a ton of guys in this draft, and there are a few solid wings after the consensus top 5 who might not be stars but I think will be very good players. At some point think they've gotta have someone who's a bit of a known instead of continually swinging on high upside/low floor types. Granted some are unknown where they are in that spectrum, but Wagner, Moody, to some extent Bouknight, and even Kispert I like quite a bit right now if they end up later lotto. Right now the only guys I'm super high on in the top 5 are Cunningham and Suggs, so a Suggs/Wagner draft would be a great draft day to me as of now.

Getting a Mikal Bridges type guy would be a massive win (not him specifically but that type of player).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder