Playoff Push Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Playoff Push Thread 

Post#1 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm

Less than 4 weeks to go in the regular season and the 6-9 spots are still up for grabs. The participants seem clear:
Blazers, Mavs, Grizz, Warriors.

Spurs schedule seems too tough to be able to hang. New Orleans is too far back to get to the requisite number of wins. I see a path where all four teams in the hunt finish with 38-40 wins. Portland's schedule is a bear and Dame/Nurk are currently banged up. So 6-10 record to finish is not out of the realm.

Can the Dubs get to 6th seed? Do they want to given it may cost them their 1st rounder?

This should be a fun ride.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Re: Playoff Push Thread 

Post#2 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Grizz lost last night, thank you Joker.

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,579

Post#3 » by parsnips33 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Hopper15 wrote:Less than 4 weeks to go in the regular season and the 6-9 spots are still up for grabs. The participants seem clear:

Spurs schedule seems too tough to be able to hang. New Orleans is too far back to get to the requisite number of wins. I see a path where all four teams in the hunt finish with 38-40 wins. Portland's schedule is a bear and Dame/Nurk are currently banged up. So 6-10 record to finish is not out of the realm.

Can the Dubs get to 6th seed? Do they want to given it may cost them their 1st rounder?

Beyond that, do they want to get Clippers in round 1 or on Utah/Phoenix?

I still think guaranteeing a playoff spot would be worth it, who knows how the play in shakes out
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#4 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Shameslesly stolen from another topic, but maybe in the top post put the list of teams the Warriors are playing.

Wizards 21
Nuggets 15
Kings 30
Mavs 20
T Wolves 28
Rockets 25
Pelicans 27
Pelicans 27
Thunder 22
Thunder 22
Jazz 4
Suns 5
Pelicans 27
Grizzlies 8

parsnips33 wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:Less than 4 weeks to go in the regular season and the 6-9 spots are still up for grabs. The participants seem clear:

Beyond that, do they want to get Clippers in round 1 or on Utah/Phoenix?

I still think guaranteeing a playoff spot would be worth it, who knows how the play in shakes out

Get 6th place, you never know what can happen in 1 game. Worry about the 7 game series later.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#5 » by cpower » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 pm

if we get that 6th spot, Curry will win MVP. Book it!!!
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Talk of tanking in Portland to avoid the Clippers.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Do you tank into a play-in? Best be careful with that or they'll find themselves in the 9th spot and needing to win 2 games just to get in.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,303

Post#7 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:44 pm

If they can gain control of the math then of course you load manage Steph and coast your way into 7-9 with the pick in tact. But they may not control the math and ultimately could be past the point of load managing before a spot is certain. That would suck
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
If they can gain control of the math then of course you load manage Steph and coast your way into 7-9 with the pick in tact. But they may not control the math and ultimately could be past the point of load managing before a spot is certain. That would suck

They may not be able to control anything until the final regular season game vs. Memphis. 8th spot is much more desirable than 9.

Does 7th spot get a home game vs. 8th in the play in? That may be enough to push for too with fans back in the building.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:17 pm

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#10 » by TB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm

Worth mentioning that (i'm pretty sure) we get the 1st pick of 2nd round if we end up losing the 1st round pick. Not that its preferred, but its a solid pick to have.

Right now, the 7 and 8 seed both end up top 20 picks, so that should be the aim. And honestly, if they do so good they get the 6th, that would have been worth the entertainment to drop from a 20th pick to the 31st.

Finishing 9 or 10 is a bit scary because 1 bad game and you are out of play in. 7 or 8 gives you 2 chances.

Its a win win as a fan. If we blow it these 15 games, it means we get a top 13 pick or so.
If they move up 1 spot, they likely sneak into playoffs and keep a top 20 pick.
If they finish crazy good and get the 6th, we get to enjoy that run and a playoff spot and settle for an early 2nd rounder.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 pm

floppymoose wrote:Image

The original misspelled sign is gold.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#12 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 pm

When is my boy JTA back?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#13 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 pm

cpower wrote:if we get that 6th spot, Curry will win MVP. Book it!!!

I agree, I think that's probably the threshold where he will be seriously considered. Many still will simply not consider a player on a team with a below average record or doesn't make the playoffs no matter what they do.

Of course the other question is if Steph can keep this torrid pace up for the rest of the reason. The odds say he'll come back to average but he continues to amaze so who knows. One thing I like is Steph isn't worrying about setting people up right now, if he's at all open, he's taking that shot and I love it.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#14 » by watch1958 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:18 pm

We are now Davidson trying to reach the NCAA Tournament.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#15 » by superunknown » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 pm

TB wrote:Worth mentioning that (i'm pretty sure) we get the 1st pick of 2nd round if we end up losing the 1st round pick. Not that its preferred, but its a solid pick to have.

Right now, the 7 and 8 seed both end up top 20 picks, so that should be the aim. And honestly, if they do so good they get the 6th, that would have been worth the entertainment to drop from a 20th pick to the 31st.

Finishing 9 or 10 is a bit scary because 1 bad game and you are out of play in. 7 or 8 gives you 2 chances.

Its a win win as a fan. If we blow it these 15 games, it means we get a top 13 pick or so.
If they finish crazy good and get the 6th, we get to enjoy that run and a playoff spot and settle for an early 2nd rounder.

all that for acquiring oubre last off season :banghead:
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#16 » by and1GS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm

superunknown wrote:
TB wrote:Worth mentioning that (i'm pretty sure) we get the 1st pick of 2nd round if we end up losing the 1st round pick. Not that its preferred, but its a solid pick to have.

you rang?

"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Post#17 » by floppymoose » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:35 pm

Hopper15 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Image

The original misspelled sign is gold.

background info for the curious:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/warriors-super-fan-paul-wong-celebrates-nba-championship-n377861
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 pm

Impuniti wrote:When is my boy JTA back?

Still out due to concussion protocol and stitches for tomorrow.

Lee is now questionable with a bad toe.

Kawhi is out for the next week (LAC playing Portland tonight).
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#19 » by TB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:58 pm

superunknown wrote:

I really should have watched more Oubre last year and dived into his +/- analytics. I was all about getting him for the TPE using the protected first. :banghead:

Second favorite option was Thad Young and he's been fantastic this year....

Oh well, live and learn. I think we are in a spot now where we just root for wins, because all scenarios either provide good Steph moments or helping our pick.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#20 » by Impuniti » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm

Hopper15 wrote:
Impuniti wrote:When is my boy JTA back?

Still out due to concussion protocol and stitches for tomorrow.

Lee is now questionable with a bad toe.

Kawhi is out for the next week (LAC playing Portland tonight).

Will he be back vs Denver?

Return to Golden State Warriors