ImageImageImage

Sixers Lineups Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Re: Sixers Lineups Thread 

Post#241 » by sixers4real » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:47 am

This is how think the rotations are going to be in the begging of the playoffs (11 man rotation)

C - Embiid / Howard
F - Harris / Scott
F - Green / Thybulle / Korkmaz
G - Curry / Hill
G - Simmons / Milton

Once we start losing games (I predict in the semis), Doc goes

C - Embiid / Howard
F - Harris / Simmons
F - Green / Thybulle
G - Hill / Milton / Curry(9th man)
G - Simmons / Milton
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,986

Post#242 » by Murray_17 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm

After yesterday i think Doc seriously needs to prove more small line ups with Simmons as a center and play Embiid more with Curry/Furkan and Hill(when he becomes avalaible)/ Shake.

Stagger more the two of them, if not we're gonna see teams just doubling Joel not stop and fronting him in the 4th.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#243 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Interesting 5 man unit 4th quarter.

Sixers had a hard time generating offense. Biid is on the bench.

Doc had..

Maxey
Seth
GHill
Thybulle
D12

I loooove this move by doc

Ive mentioned about this the other day.

In a situation during the playoffs where Tobi struggles and Ben is neutralized, both often a lot. You can bench both guys (not saying you do it on purpose). You then can have your PG and SG fill your 1 to 4 spots.

We can run a similar unit but with Embiid in the place of D12. And we still have Shake or Green to replace one or two of those 4 guys.

If Maxey struggles and Thybulle can’t knock down his shots you can have..

Milton
Seth
GHill
Green
Biid

If Seth is getting hunted on defense..

Milton
Seth
Korkmaz
Green
Biid

If you are facing a big Pf like Giannis, you then can have Tolliver or Scott as a stretch 4 in the place of Korkmaz.

If Biid is struggling, you can run 2 man games with Milton, Shake or Seth with Biid. Space the floor or post Biid without the spacing issues with Ben.

Now this roster is rounding up nicely
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#244 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Doc mentioned after the Warriors game he would play 4 guards more. Im guessing this also effectively cuts Mike Scotts time if he isnt giving anything.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#245 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 pm

phillynative wrote:Doc mentioned after the Warriors game he would play 4 guards more. Im guessing this also effectively cuts Mike Scotts time if he isnt giving anything.

I find it really smart (i dont know a good adjective for this) that they’ve (doc and morey) figured out that they can run a 4 guard line-up with Embiid. It’s possible given most of our guards have long wingspan while Green and Thybulle can play like a 4 on team defense.

It’s just a very good counter and adds another dimension to our squad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#246 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am

The 4 guard lineup could work if they could do guard things under pressure, haven’t seen a reason at all why it would be so.

That would work if Maxey/Milton/Curry/Hill could create at an acceptable level. I mean if one was Vanvleet cool we are cooking with gas but none of them are or even close.

Maxey is a slasher (with great handles I may add) with a suspect jumper but not a facilitator
Milton is a scorer and not a facilitator
Seth is a jump shooter with a so so handle
Hill is an off ball guard

Ben is still by far our best facilitator/passer on the list which is bad news bears.

We are heavily reliant on Harris’s output. He has to average 20+ ppg on good ratios (which for me might be asking too much from a non elite creator/scorer himself).

Milton is the best bet but he’s too hot and cold and he’s not a facilitator in fact none of them are (Hill is off ball).

Milton/Hill
Green
Simmons
Harris
Embiid

This is still by far the best closing lineup not close. Milton plays well with Ben. Maxey does not. Curry is a wash imo, Hill works out fine.

Doc isn’t all that smart. He lost that GSW game.

Korkmaz/Milton/Thybulle/Howard should get the brunt of rotation minutes.

The Howard/Thybulle/Ben combo doesn’t really work unless Hill/Korkmaz or Curry bomb away.

Should have made Embiid the point guard im serious against GSW dude ran pnr better then anyone on our list for like 2 minutes one game lol it was absurd give him 4 shooters, double trap Curry every single time that’s a better strategy.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,733

Post#247 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Maxey is the best creator of that group and he can't shoot lol.. Hill is old. Seth is slow and gunshy. Shake has horse blinders on at all times..

I like the idea but don't think the skillsets match up atm.

BUT anything is better than the corpse of Mike Scott soooo go for it lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM

Post#248 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:33 pm

Mik317 wrote:Maxey is the best creator of that group and he can't shoot lol.. Hill is old. Seth is slow and gunshy. Shake has horse blinders on at all times..

All they have to do is to play two man games with Biid.

The defense can’t switch on Biid, which leads to dribble drives. A small separation then another dribble drive for bigger separation until you can generate a good shot.

Dribble drives with a handful of guards is hard to stop. Think of the George Karl Nuggets back then with Ty Lawson and Boykins running dribble drives, international basketball or the Spurs.

Shake, Milton, Seth, Tobi Tobi and Maxey are all good in running PnRs just not on high volumes and primary runner of it.

It kinds solved that “should have a guard creating for Biid” response when Biid is struggling. Those guards are going to generate good looks drives or shots or easy baskets for Embiid.

Another thing is a handful of guard allows you to be more switchable on defense, if the opponent’s primary scorer is a guard.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#249 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:58 pm

I think we are watching different games here

Embiid post centric offense the game bogs down to a halt, there’s no moving shooter like Redick so there isn’t the same gravity pull like him. Hence his career year with us
We aren’t a motion heavy offense anyway we don’t have anywhere near the caliber of players it’s a wrong system anyway for us. Embiid is a lot slower to make a move like say Hakeem and isn’t anywhere near Shaq lvl of dominance (better passer too anyway).

At best contested 2, or 2 and a free throw or just free throws. Or turnovers which Embiid is prone to doing from time to time.

We all saw what a one man offensive juggernaught did to that philosophy it made it look ridiculous.

It’s no way near Hakeem post centric, they played with serious pace and Hakeem had acres to work with. And he wasn’t actually the vocal point half the time. The perimeter was super threatening from volume threes for that era. Hakeem was a great safety net to have (great foul rate, great economic returns on scoring too, lowish turnover %, in other words just more effective then an Embiid post centric offense.
That one was more modernized

4 shooters/ballhandlers chop and change, one big man to soak up post usage.

and he was way quicker to force the issue (older Hakeem was a better passer too, Game 7 1994 vs the Knicks was a superb passing performance even when his shots weren’t falling duh Ewing is great).

The problem here is that Embiid can eat but it may not end up mattering in the end. Because if he’s taking 30+ shots, your basically soaking the 24 sec clock to zero.

Harris does the same thing to an effect, 5 moves when one will do.

But for this team we have zero choice in the matter

He isn’t a black hole no I’m not saying that, it’s a awareness thing imo.

Wait how is Maxey our best creator when he’s not a good shooter? It’s Milton then a clear gap.

A CJ or Lillard works so much better for us then any other type of player. (CP3 is too rare to find at his kind of balanced traditional game). Also makes Embiid more efficient by definition.

Love Embiid but he did have 28 turnovers in the raptor series for a non facilitator which is horrible.
Ben played fine next Butler, Harris was a no show which is a consistent and concerning trend.

I miss Jimmy lol
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,733

Post#250 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 pm

Biid is great at many things...rolling to the basket is not one of them. Which makes the PNR pretty predictable as he is probably going to pop and then its the fact that teams will live with our guards driving or pulling up off the screen.

I will say tho....I forgot who on espn said it but when Embiid sets up in the middle near the FT line instead of the sides, it becomes a lot harder to double because you don't have the sideline as an assist but too often we set him up in long two territory on the wings which pretty much only has the other side as the outlet.

These last few games have been annoying but it great that its happening now so the team has tape on it. But still feels like we are putting a lot on Tobias ironically to be that second option and he has been that but his playoff struggles are still a thing until proven otherwise IMO. Team feels like it need one final option (Daniel Green doesn't count...as its simply not fair to other teams so he's going to be banned in the playoffs...thems the rules yo); It was supposed to be Shake but he is too sporadic IMO. Looked like Ben's wonky ass hook shots was going to be a neat tool to go to but that was a blip it seems. I am going to be a salty susan come playoff time but if we lose, I hope there aren't any qualifiers like injuries...I need this team to be at or near their peak if they flame out so we can see where the next steps are for once.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#251 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:01 pm

Mik317 wrote:Maxey is the best creator of that group and he can't shoot lol.. Hill is old. Seth is slow and gunshy. Shake has horse blinders on at all times..

Mattise is a guard, and Danny Green is a Guard. They don't have to play Maxey at all, in order to run a 4 guard Lineup.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#252 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Mattise is a guard, and Danny Green is a Guard. They don't have to play Maxey at all, in order to run a 4 guard Lineup.

Danny Green is a wing, Matisse Thybulle is a wing
Korkmaz is a wing

Milton is a shooting guard but more so just a scorer
Maxey is a slashing guard with a poor jumper
Hill off ball guard/can act as a wing
Curry is a shooting guard that can setup shoot.

Non of them can facilitate at a high enough level

Korkmaz/Green are really the only moving shooters on the team which is very bad if you want to play Embiid ball or Ben ball.

A guard for me can do guard things

I don’t like high pnr action for Embiid (unless it’s with Ben/Harris) central post is quite good though you need threats on the outside to keep the oppositions defense honest.
But they’ll always be doubles.
I actually like Ben in the central position with shooters in his eyeline.
They both have to figure out a legitimate two man game it’s kind of obvious high pnr with them both could work (Ben the initiator not Embiid). I saw it play out basically how it supposed Embiid 1v1 in the post, Ben in the center, shooters to the side, a free shot or easy pass to Embiid.
Dunkers spot is bogus.

Also Embiid is now where near as mobile as Hakeem is.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers