ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,629

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#81 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 am

WeThe2019Champs wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yel389lw

After the season is over

TOR
Horford, Alexander and Dort

OKC
2021 & 2022 1st round picks, Siakam and Baynes

FVV/Alexander/OG/FA/Horford
Flynn/Trent (or FA)/Dort/Boucher/Birch

Bembry/Watson/Yuta/Freddie

Toronto - Horford contract is cheaper and less years compared to Siakam. Won't be getting top5 pick anyways so trading 2x 1st for Alexander and Dort is nice. The time Horford contact is up we can resign Alexander. OKC - Unloads Horford contract, Baynes contract isn't guaranteed next season and Siakam gets a new start. Gets more 1st round picks.

I would do the Carter trade 10x over before I do this trade for Toronto.

Ideally for you we are gonna be giving THEM 2 FRP (one a guaranteed lotto pick) for the pleasure of taking on Horfords awful contract and 2 role players. Not to mention we are giving them the best player in the trade. All around awful for Toronto
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
stephen23ca
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#82 » by stephen23ca » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:47 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

After the season is over

TOR

OKC

Toronto - Horford contract is cheaper and less years compared to Siakam. Won't be getting top5 pick anyways so trading 2x 1st for Alexander and Dort is nice. The time Horford contact is up we can resign Alexander. OKC - Unloads Horford contract, Baynes contract isn't guaranteed next season and Siakam gets a new start. Gets more 1st round picks.

Ideally for you we are gonna be giving THEM 2 FRP (one a guaranteed lotto pick) for the pleasure of taking on Horfords awful contract and 2 role players. Not to mention we are giving them the best player in the trade. All around awful for Toronto

Umm, since when is Alexander a role player? SGA is phenomenal and would be dream to have running the team. "Role player" :crazy:
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#83 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Value aside for a moment.

Baynes is not NG next season its a team option;
Which would require OKC to pay him his entire salary next season.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#84 » by douggood » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Value aside for a moment.

2nd year NG, just like boucher, hood. its the recent trend in nba, as it gives teams more flexibility vs team options.

and also just because its NG, doesnt mean they can trade him to thunder and thunder can cut him for zero dollars.
to be used as part of trade only guaranteed portions of salaries can be traded.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#85 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm

douggood wrote:

2nd year NG, just like boucher, hood. its the recent trend in nba, as it gives teams more flexibility vs team options.

and also just because its NG, doesnt mean they can trade him to thunder and thunder can cut him for zero dollars.

Interesting, I had no idea I thought it was fully on the books for next season or not at all.

Any idea what the G portion of the deal is?
And is there a date when it becomes fully guaranteed?
douggood
General Manager

Post#86 » by douggood » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
douggood wrote:

Interesting, I had no idea I thought it was fully on the books for next season or not at all.

guaranteed for zero dollars in all 3 cases (boucher, baynes, hood)
baynes contract becomes guaranteed 2 days before nba moratorium
boucher is 3 days after moratorium
hood tbd.

the reason why it gives flexiblity (NG vs team option is this)
lets say on draft day raptors want to trade FVV (20 mil contract) for someone making 30 mil

20 * 125% doesnt equal 30 mil

so they can guarantee 4 mil of baynes contract and trade him

(20 + 4) * 125% matches 30 mil

the new team can now cut baynes before the rest of his contract guarantees (so he got 4 mil vs 7 mil)
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#87 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 pm

stephen23ca wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

After the season is over

TOR

OKC

Umm, since when is Alexander a role player? SGA is phenomenal and would be dream to have running the team. "Role player" :crazy:

then why would they do the trade as well. that is the dumbest trade for OKC.

raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#88 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:16 pm

douggood wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
douggood wrote:2nd year NG, just like boucher, hood. its the recent trend in nba, as it gives teams more flexibility vs team options.

hood tbd.

lets say on draft day raptors want to trade FVV (20 mil contract) for someone making 30 mil

the new team can now cut baynes before the rest of his contract guarantees (so he got 4 mil vs 7 mil)

Thanks for that;
To borrow from a very old example,
I would assume this is what the Knicks did with Quentin Richardson during the Bargnani trade to get the salary match needed, pump up the G portion enough to make it work and then the acquiring team just cuts him.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#89 » by dagger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

stephen23ca wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

After the season is over

TOR

OKC

The problem with the trade for OKC is that Pascal, age-wise, though in his prime, is far ahead of anyone else in OKC, whereas Shai is a few years younger, and frankly, OKC can't keep accumulating futures, it needs younger vets like Dort to build around Alexander. Trading some of its pick horde for an RFA like Collins to ATL and maybe offload Horford in the process would make more sense.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#90 » by Oakvillehoops » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Can anyone explain to me how the draft lottery works this year? Or direct me to the info?

Usually all 14 teams who miss the playoffs have a chance at the top pick, this year would that still include a 10th seed if they win their play in series?
stephen23ca
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#91 » by stephen23ca » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:51 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
stephen23ca wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

then why would they do the trade as well. that is the dumbest trade for OKC.

Huh?

I didn't propose the trade nor did I say it's good for OKC.

Simply was replying to the dumbest comment all week that SGA is only considered a regular role player.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,629

Post#92 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 am

stephen23ca wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

After the season is over

TOR

OKC

Man I'm tripping :lol: . I read Alexander and for some reason thought of NAW (who isn't even on the Thunder and is in New Orleans lol). I'm used to people calling SGA "Shai" or "Shai Gilgeous" and never think of him by the name Alexander
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
douggood
General Manager

Post#93 » by douggood » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:Can anyone explain to me how the draft lottery works this year? Or direct me to the info?

Usually all 14 teams who miss the playoffs have a chance at the top pick, this year would that still include a 10th seed if they win their play in series?

if the 10th seed wins the playin, no lotto for them and vice versa if the 7th seed loses the play in, lottery for them.

Game 1: The No. 7 team in the standings by winning percentage will host the No. 8 team, with the winner earning the No. 7 seed in the playoffs. The losing team gets another chance in Game 3.

Game 2: The No. 9 team will host the No. 10 team, with the winner moving on to Game 3. The loser is eliminated and enters the NBA draft lottery.

Game 3: The loser of the No. 7 vs. No. 8 matchup will host the winner of the No. 9 vs. No. 10 matchup, with the victor grabbing the No. 8 seed in the postseason. The loser of Game 3 also enters the lottery.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,546

Post#94 » by Psubs » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
stephen23ca wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

Man I'm tripping :lol: . I read Alexander and for some reason thought of NAW (who isn't even on the Thunder and is in New Orleans lol). I'm used to people calling SGA "Shai" or "Shai Gilgeous" and never think of him by the name Alexander

Well they are 1/2 brothers. :nod:
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#95 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

While its not the sexiest suggestion;
If we are looking to round out the back-end of the roster next season I have liked what I have seen from Garrison Mathews in bursts.

Feisty defender and can hit a three;
Everything we hoped Matt Thomas may be and should be super cheap?
douggood
General Manager

Post#96 » by douggood » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:While its not the sexiest suggestion;
If we are looking to round out the back-end of the roster next season I have liked what I have seen from Garrison Mathews in bursts.

Everything we hoped Matt Thomas may be?

he is on a 2 way with washington, they will convert him to regular contract with a team option pretty soon, just like yuta.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#97 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:09 am

douggood wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:While its not the sexiest suggestion;

Everything we hoped Matt Thomas may be?

he is on a 2 way with washington, they will convert him to regular contract with a team option pretty soon, just like yuta.

This is what I was wondering. Do the Wizards have an option over Matthews, or can any team with cap space swoop in and grab him for more money?

Before today I was actually afraid that if Freddie G. played well against the Knicks, they might sign him with their cap space after his second 10-day expired. Not gonna happen now.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#98 » by Spida888 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:04 am

douggood wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
douggood wrote:2nd year NG, just like boucher, hood. its the recent trend in nba, as it gives teams more flexibility vs team options.

hood tbd.

Hi doug, using Baynes again as a NG example, is there a minimum amount that Raps need to guarantee in order to trade him to another team?

For example, let's say we were to trade FVV (20M) for someone that also makes close to 20M, but the opposing team wants to be able to cut costs as well, so they want Baynes partially guaranteed and then cut him later.

I'm guessing we can't just guarantee $1 of Baynes contract right lol? If possible the opposing team would save most of the 7M?
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#99 » by isyed » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 am

We've got to add more talent while we add solid pieces.

Let's hope a bit of luck gets us into top 4 pick and leaves us with about 20 mill capspace for next year.

Core of

Siakam
Fvv
Og
Flynn

Bring back birch at cap mle
Sign Freddie to 1 + 1 option
Sign yuta to 1 + 1 deal
Sign Watson to 1 + 1 deal
Keep bembry in his min
Pick up Boucher option
Use capspace for an under appreciated player or 2
Top 4 pick
Extend gtj at average of 15 mill
2 second rounder seniors
Spend the Bae on a vet big

Let's go back again with og improving and Siakam with a proper off season and team back with fans.

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/bembry/harris
Og/watson
Siakam/Boucher/yuta
Birch/Freddie/bae

Big free agent + top 4 pick + 2 second rounders

Ideally both the free agent and top 4 picks are shot creators if possible off the dribble to address our isolation scoring.

We could even split it between a big and a scorer. Would love me some Jarret Allen but cavs will probably match. Collins from. Atlanta ain't too bad. Worse case you split it between Ibaka and another young big. Need some good 3 and d centres to create more space for Siakam, fvv and og.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,325

Post#100 » by alpngso » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:29 am

isyed wrote:We've got to add more talent while we add solid pieces.

Let's hope a bit of luck gets us into top 4 pick and leaves us with about 20 mill capspace for next year.

Core of

Siakam
Fvv
Og
Flynn

Bring back birch at cap mle
Sign Freddie to 1 + 1 option
Sign yuta to 1 + 1 deal
Sign Watson to 1 + 1 deal
Keep bembry in his min
Pick up Boucher option
Use capspace for an under appreciated player or 2
Top 4 pick
Extend gtj at average of 15 mill
2 second rounder seniors
Spend the Bae on a vet big

Let's go back again with og improving and Siakam with a proper off season and team back with fans.

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/bembry/harris
Og/watson
Siakam/Boucher/yuta
Birch/Freddie/bae

Big free agent + top 4 pick + 2 second rounders

Ideally both the free agent and top 4 picks are shot creators if possible off the dribble to address our isolation scoring.

We could even split it between a big and a scorer. Would love me some Jarret Allen but cavs will probably match. Collins from. Atlanta ain't too bad. Worse case you split it between Ibaka and another young big. Need some good 3 and d centres to create more space for Siakam, fvv and og.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app

prolly the most reasonable outcome aside from Raps getting a top 4 pick (which we all are praying).

This would still have us compete for the playoff spot in the east with upside of young players becoming better.

may not be world beaters with Siakam or FVV as no.1 option but if Top 4 pick turns out to be a franchise player than it might work.

Return to Toronto Raptors