ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,210

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#61 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Some of these are pretty funny...

Read on Twitter
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#62 » by Ill News » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:54 am

bisme37 wrote:Some of these are pretty funny...

Read on Twitter

Seeing Jaylen and Thompson say they won't eat pork and fish, respectively, reminds me of two officemates at my job in a magazine some years ago. One was a vegetarian, the other one doesn't eat pork. The three of us were often assigned to do field work, and those two made it a pain in the ass to choose a place to eat in because of their damn diets :lol: :banghead:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#63 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:40 am

playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

tears of joy..

Walton there yet McHale, Parish and Cowens were missing.

OK, I checked. McHale worked as a broadcaster during the 1994-5 season, and Cowens as an assistant coach, for the Timberwolves and Spurs respectively. So assuming the event happened at the end of that season, they probably had other commitments.

And Parish was still an active player.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#64 » by exculpatory » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

tears of joy..

Walton there yet McHale, Parish and Cowens were missing.

OK, I checked. McHale worked as a broadcaster during the 1994-5 season, and Cowens as an assistant coach, for the Timberwolves and Spurs respectively. So assuming the event happened at the end of that season, they probably had other commitments.

And Parish was still an active player.

Wow
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,211

Post#65 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am

Read on Twitter

Having a top 5 defense since the trade deadline may also have something to do with the better results. We're finally getting a Stevens-coached team we've been used to the past several seasons.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#66 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Having a top 5 defense since the trade deadline may also have something to do with the better results. We're finally getting a Stevens-coached team we've been used to the past several seasons.

It's all related. Looks like Steve Bulpett reads this forum.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#67 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's all related. Looks like Steve Bulpett reads this forum.

Either that, or he used to listen to Tommy.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#68 » by Jammer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 pm

I am extremely optimistic that the team will be healthy for the playoffs and make some noise, whether it be a 4/5 seed game or a 6-3 to start off. I just wish Brad would reign in the shot allocation of some players (Smart) while increasing Pritch's offensive role, in particular by having teammates pass him the ball more when he's open.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#69 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:15 pm

Ill News wrote:

Read on Twitter

Seeing Jaylen and Thompson say they won't eat pork and fish, respectively, reminds me of two officemates at my job in a magazine some years ago. One was a vegetarian, the other one doesn't eat pork. The three of us were often assigned to do field work, and those two made it a pain in the ass to choose a place to eat in because of their damn diets :lol: :banghead:

Maybe YOU were the pain because of YOUR diet. :o
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#70 » by cloverleaf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:59 pm

Mr. Pritchard with the right attitude there!

Tatum sounds like a baby.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#71 » by greenroom31 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

Some not great stats that help illuminate our issues and lack of consistency:

Assists/FGM - 0.563, 27th in the league
Assists/TO - 1.628, 24th in the league
FTM/Game - 16.2, 22nd in the league
Defensive Rebs/Game - 33.6, 21st in the league
Opponent 2nd chance points/Game - 13.8, 23rd in the league

We don't get great shots because we don't pass the ball effectively. I think RW3 actually made a big difference here in his limited time as a starter because he can pass, unlike Tristan. Our offensive sets stink and we don't run enough in transition, so Tatum and Jaylen end up having to go ISO a lot. Would be nice to see more motion, picks, etc. to create opportunities to get the defense on their heels or having to switch. Or we could just listen to Tommy and RUN!

When Tatum and Jaylen try to move the ball they end up turning it over a fair amount because the guys they have to pass it to are sitting and watching. It's sort of a carryover from the Kyrie era. This is my biggest complaint about Brad. Then on top of that we aren't a good defensive rebounding team and we don't get to the line often enough.

So we have an inefficient and stagnant offense, turn it over a lot and give up too many second chance points. Not exactly a recipe for consistent winning.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#72 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:44 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Some not great stats that help illuminate our issues and lack of consistency:

We don't get great shots because we don't pass the ball effectively. I think RW3 actually made a big difference here in his limited time as a starter because he can pass, unlike Tristan. Our offensive sets stink and we don't run enough in transition, so Tatum and Jaylen end up having to go ISO a lot. Would be nice to see more motion, picks, etc. to create opportunities to get the defense on their heels or having to switch. Or we could just listen to Tommy and RUN!

When Tatum and Jaylen try to move the ball they end up turning it over a fair amount because the guys they have to pass it to are sitting and watching. It's sort of a carryover from the Kyrie era. This is my biggest complaint about Brad. Then on top of that we aren't a good defensive rebounding team and we don't get to the line often enough.

So we have an inefficient and stagnant offense, turn it over a lot and give up too many second chance points. Not exactly a recipe for consistent winning.

Yeah, the product is not good, but blaming the guys who hardly ever get their mitts on the ball for the Jays' excessive turnovers is weak--as is saying the Jays have to stop the movement with their ISO self-gratification because the ball and their teammates are not moving.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#73 » by robdog_5 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:45 pm

All those stats tell a story. When I watched for 2 mins on Sunday. I saw team full of guys who play selfish. Jaylen had Kemba wide open in corner and forced a ugly play and turned it over. Kemba made a 3 contested but had Fournier wide open on a cut (who needs to get involved). I watched like 5 possessions (also saw the Smart abomination right before half).

When your open and don't get the ball it leads to lack of effort on D, chucking on O when you get the ball and lack of trust.

Celtics are a bad team with good talent that's why they remain average
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#74 » by greenroom31 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:54 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:Some not great stats that help illuminate our issues and lack of consistency:

Yeah, the product is not good, but blaming the guys who hardly ever get their mitts on the ball for the Jays' excessive turnovers is weak--as is saying the Jays have to stop the movement with their ISO self-gratification because the ball and their teammates are not moving.

I'm blaming the system for not making it easier for everyone. Motion, screens and picks can help open things up, rather than having 2 guys parked in the corners, one guy sitting in the post and 2 guys taking turns driving the ball. This is part of why having RW3 helps so much too -- he actually sets picks and orchestrates the offense from the top of the key and the elbows.

Then when Jaylen and Tatum try to make plays the guys they're passing to often look like they're not ready or decisive when the ball gets there and they lose whatever brief edge they have on the defender. I'm saying those guys need to be decisive and either shoot, up-fake and drive to the basket so the D has to rotate again, or quickly move the ball to another open guy. That doesn't happen often enough and it's not Jaylen or Tatum's fault.

That said, I certainly acknowledge that they are average and inconsistent playmakers. The problem is without any offensive sets there's no one else on the team who can consistently draw the defense and create for their teammates.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#75 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:28 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I'm blaming the system for not making it easier for everyone. Motion, screens and picks can help open things up, rather than having 2 guys parked in the corners, one guy sitting in the post and 2 guys taking turns driving the ball. This is part of why having RW3 helps so much too -- he actually sets picks and orchestrates the offense from the top of the key and the elbows.

Then when Jaylen and Tatum try to make plays the guys they're passing to often look like they're not ready or decisive when the ball gets there and they lose whatever brief edge they have on the defender. I'm saying those guys need to be decisive and either shoot, up-fake and drive to the basket so the D has to rotate again, or quickly move the ball to another open guy. That doesn't happen often enough and it's not Jaylen or Tatum's fault.

That said, I certainly acknowledge that they are average and inconsistent playmakers. The problem is without any offensive sets there's no one else on the team who can consistently draw the defense and create for their teammates.

The slow and limited decision makers with the ball in their hands are overwhelmingly the Jays. Some of the other guys seem afraid to ruffle the Jays' entitled feathers by taking as many shots as they should, no doubt. And ultimately I blame Brad for letting the two grow up like the two stepsisters in Cinderella. Brad doesn't seem to be able to retain vet stars and perhaps because of that, or the other way around, he overentitles his baby (and babyish) stars. E.g., as soon as Danny maneuvered to get Rob into the starting lineup Brad started talking about how Rob was going to get fewer opportunities to shoot than ever. (Perhaps to your point, no apparent plays to make the other starters take advantage of his dynamo capabilities down low.)
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#76 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm 100% with TT on that. I won't eat anything that comes out of the ocean.

I can't believe JT doesn't like mac and cheese. I don't think I've met anybody that won't eat that.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#77 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:58 pm

cloverleaf wrote: Some of the other guys seem afraid to ruffle the Jays' entitled feathers by taking as many shots as they should, no doubt.

Who?

I see guys afraid to let it fly because they fear they'll miss. But that's most of it.

Walker, Smart, Rob, TT, PP, Grant, even Semi -- none of those guys seem overly hesitant to let it fly, even the ones who wind up getting very few shot attempts each. As for guys who seem like they should drive more -- which of the ones I named is really deficient in that, given his level of ability?

I'm on the side that thinks Brad needs to scheme and teach and persuade better, so that there are more drive-kick and other good ball movement opportunities than there are now.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#78 » by reload141 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:42 am

Come on Suns and Detroit!
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#79 » by cloverleaf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:03 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote: Some of the other guys seem afraid to ruffle the Jays' entitled feathers by taking as many shots as they should, no doubt.

Who?

I see guys afraid to let it fly because they fear they'll miss. But that's most of it.

Walker, Smart, Rob, TT, PP, Grant, even Semi -- none of those guys seem overly hesitant to let it fly, even the ones who wind up getting very few shot attempts each. As for guys who seem like they should drive more -- which of the ones I named is really deficient in that, given his level of ability?

I'm on the side that thinks Brad needs to scheme and teach and persuade better, so that there are more drive-kick and other good ball movement opportunities than there are now.

Two or three missed shots and many of them stop shooting. The obvious one to me for higher usage is Pritchard. And yes, he still passes when he should shoot or drive.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#80 » by cloverleaf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Kevin Love says, "JT with a lazy pass, then no D? Hold ma beer!"

https://nypost.com/2021/04/27/kevin-love-seems-like-hes-had-enough-of-this-nba-season/

Return to Boston Celtics