ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#881 » by DCasey91 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:51 pm

I believe Ben played well with Holmes, Fantastic hands and a lob target always, had the automatic push shot

Actually Kings version right now is a better player (Free throw % lower foul rate).

But yes Harris has the value over Ben

in the Howard/Thybulle lineups imo

Though if say a Beal type was in instead of Harris, Ben would look a lot better

It’s just that the three sub offensive played on the floor is a big no-no with two non shooters/scorers unless someone can score at a real high volume by himself to offset I.e Iverson Sixers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,550

Post#882 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am

Klay Thompson
Height:
6’7
Standing reach
8’ 7.5”

Tobias Harris
Height:
6’7”
Standing Reach:
8’7.5”

Tobi should increase his volume to sliding to SG when his shooting is not dropping. This way he can max out his ability to post or attack the rim. He can be a physical player for a SG but he’s soft for a PF.

Not saying always for he also plays well at some match-ups at PF where he can use his speed (explains why he’s good on transition).

His 6’11” wingspan gives him a good height to wingspan ratio that is allowing him to play multiple position and create mismatches.

Overall, it’s a dilemma for teams on who should they put their PF to. If they put their PF on Ben, then Tobi can post the wing players. If they put their PF on Tobi, then Ben can post their wing players. We kind of saw this in our recent games when Biid was trying to get both guys more involved on offense. Specially on the Celts game. I think another game was the Jazz game when Tobi carried us on OT against weak Jazz wing defenders.

My overall point? We dont have a good 2nd option on the team, but I think we can find ways to make Ben or Tobi a good 2nd option by creating favorable match-ups for them. We just have to develop it more that Ben and Tobi becomes natural with it.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#883 » by DCasey91 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 am

76ciology wrote:Klay Thompson
Height:
6’7
Standing reach
8’ 7.5”

Tobias Harris
Height:
6’7”
Standing Reach:
8’7.5”

Tobi should increase his volume to sliding to SG when his shooting is not dropping. This way he can max out his ability to post or attack the rim. He can be a physical player for a SG but he’s soft for a PF.

Not saying always for he also plays well at some match-ups at PF where he can use his speed (explains why he’s good on transition).

His 6’11” wingspan gives him a good height to wingspan ratio that is allowing him to play multiple position and create mismatches.

Overall, it’s a dilemma for teams on who should they put their PF to. If they put their PF on Ben, then Tobi can post the wing players. If they put their PF on Tobi, then Ben can post their wing players. We kind of saw this in our recent games when Biid was trying to get both guys more involved on offense. Specially on the Celts game. I think another game was the Jazz game when Tobi carried us on OT against weak Jazz wing defenders.

My overall point? We dont have a good 2nd option on the team, but I think we can find ways to make Ben or Tobi a good 2nd option by creating favorable match-ups for them. We just have to develop it more that Ben and Tobi becomes natural with it.

I don’t have Ben grading out as a 2nd option on offense ever (hence why I pulled back his range overall) I can buy 3rd/4th option provided the 1/2 score at high enough volume hence why I rate the Embiid/Beal/Simmons over Embiid/Beal/Harris. Fits much much better.

I have Embiid grading out as a Hakeem level passer/facilitator no where near Garnett/Duncan and certainly not Jokic lvl.

But the point is to try and build it like a 95’ Hakeem special or an 10” Howard team. Both should be the blueprint.

Or double down and go Pistons 04” (more score heavy center).

But we are missing key players in any version you choose to build from.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#884 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Small sample size but very encouraging
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#885 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:07 pm

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tobias-harris-didnt-change-his-game-the-sixers-changed-around-him/amp/#click=https://t.co/TAAF8CvbLW

Harris is running more pick and rolls per possession than he has in his career, according to Second Spectrum. He has sacrificed quantity of on-ball screening possessions — setting single-digit on-ball picks per 100 possessions for only the third time in his career — for quality, as he’s the most efficient he’s ever been in such scenarios. He’s setting career highs driving the ball and passing it. Harris is at home in the post, but he’s adaptable and able to contribute in a variety of contexts across the floor. He may be an old-school player in his shot selection, but he’s as modern as they come in terms of his skill set at the forward position.

Harris has become more than the third violin filling the background space for soloists Embiid and Ben Simmons. Lineups with Harris and neither of the team’s other stars have actually been among the team’s most effective weapons, winning their minutes by a wide margin — and far outscoring lineups with either of the other stars alone. (Last season, lineups with Harris and without Simmons and Embiid lost their minutes.)

Individually, Harris’s efficiency is bordering on historic. In fact, Harris is 1.3 percentage points in free throw shooting away from joining the vaunted 50/40/90 club. There are eight members, six of whom are either in the Hall of Fame or nearly certain to join. 3

Whether judging by his own numbers or by his team’s success with him on the floor, Harris has never had a better season. He’s done it by improving his game, of course, but perhaps as significant has been the space within which he’s improved. Harris’s performance, and that of the Sixers overall, may prove that changing the shape of the slot to match the peg may be the solution both sides needed to properly contextualize his game and his contract.

Im hoping one day Ben can have an article about his improvement on offense also.

Who wouldnt want him to improve?
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 219

Post#886 » by Embiid-MVP » Sun May 23, 2021 10:23 pm

"Another One!"
:banghead:
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#887 » by spikeslovechild » Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 pm

76ciology wrote:How big do you guys think Ben’s gap over Tobi, in terms of an overall player?

There is a reverse gap as far as I am concerned. Tobi has clearly leapfrogged Ben. I know we got into it a bit when I said Harris was the 2nd best player on the team but since then he's only solidified things. Simmons is basically our stopper but as we know in the playoffs good offense beats good defense and we aren't going anywhere unless Tobi continues his level play regardless of Simmons defense.

Stanford wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Jimmy Butler is a bad fit offensively at least Harris takes 3's. I am convinced many of you never watched us with him on offense. He refused to take 3's even when open

That doesn't mean he was a bad fit

He was a bad fit as long as we kept Simmons. You can't have two guards who won't shoot 3's.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#888 » by 76ciology » Wed May 26, 2021 6:24 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
Stanford wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Jimmy Butler is a bad fit offensively at least Harris takes 3's. I am convinced many of you never watched us with him on offense. He refused to take 3's even when open

He was a bad fit as long as we kept Simmons. You can't have two guards who won't shoot 3's.

Agree with all of what you said.

I dont see how Ben, Jimmy and Biid can work in the long run.

People will say “but we almost made it to the finals” or “but we have the best NetRtg”, i just dont see it based on eyetest and basic basketball knowledge. You can’t win with 2 guards who can’t shoot with a team with a center as your best player. Specially with how the offense is on overdrive these days.

NetRtg is not end all be all, or else the team with the best NetRtg will always win. A 5 man with the best NetRtg may not be the best 5 man unit (downfall of Brett). It will depend on several factors like hot hand, game situation and if what the opponent’s 5 man is.

You also have to factor in Ben and Jimmy’s ego. I dont see Jimmy lasting long with how we run our team with Ben. Hell, Jimmy even has issues with his current team.

What I could see and I dont mind to see is we stick with Jimmy then trading Ben. Maybe if we did go that route and didn’t hire Morey, we could have Harden, Jimmy, Biid and maybe even Tobi by now. But that would also be unfair because nobody can see the future.
Embiid-MVP
Junior

Post#889 » by Embiid-MVP » Thu May 27, 2021 3:24 am

Embiid-MVP wrote:"Another One!"
76ciology
RealGM

Post#890 » by 76ciology » Sat May 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Im not saying I agree with it

But here’s an article about chosing Tobi over Jimmy was the right choice. And inside the article is a link to an article that we chose Ben over Jimmy.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-76ers-nba-playoffs-joel-embiid-jummy-butler-tobias-harris-20210528.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#891 » by stormi » Sat May 29, 2021 3:12 pm

76ciology wrote:we chose Ben over Jimmy.

Been disputed a million times. From Jimmy himself actually. We chose Brett Brown's ego over Jimmy.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#892 » by Stanford » Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 pm

stormi wrote:We chose Brett Brown's ego over Jimmy.

Could you elaborate on that a little?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#893 » by stormi » Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Stanford wrote:

Butler challenged his authority more than anyone else on our roster had up until that point. During the FA meetings after the season, the team went to Jimmy and asked if he could be more controlled if they were to invest long term in him. He felt disrespected and decided to pursue a contract elsewhere.

He talks about it pretty extensively in his episode of the JJ podcast. And alludes to a lot of issues he had with Brown specifically and the way he coached (or lack of...).

But also, why do we care anymore. It's been like two years lmfao.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#894 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 29, 2021 3:44 pm

stormi wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Butler challenged his authority more than anyone else on our roster had up until that point. During the FA meetings after the season, the team went to Jimmy and asked if he could be more controlled if they were to invest long term in him. He felt disrespected and decided to pursue a contract elsewhere.

He talks about it pretty extensively in his episode of the JJ podcast. And alludes to a lot of issues he had with Brown specifically and the way he coached (or lack of...).

But also, why do we care anymore. It's been like two years lmfao.

I thought it was someone with either ownership or the front office asked Brett if he could control Jimmy, and then Jimmy found out and got upset. I don't think it was just Brett, other people in the organization were also nervous about committing to him for 5 years.

Which speaks to the broader issue that the team was run in a ridiculous way at that time, where no one was really in charge, and so there was endless finger pointing when things didn't go well.

But yeah it's water under the bridge at this point. Hopefully that won't be an issue as long as Morey is around.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#895 » by 76ciology » Sat May 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Water under the bridge. I dont even want to talk about it again.

I think in the end it was a good decision not signing Jimmy long term.

And i hope Tobi can continue to improve.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#896 » by Stanford » Sat May 29, 2021 7:51 pm

76ciology wrote:I think in the end it was a good decision not signing Jimmy long term.

True. The only thing worse than a loser is an aging loser.
Embiid-MVP
Junior

Post#897 » by Embiid-MVP » Sun May 30, 2021 2:18 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:
Embiid-MVP wrote:"Another One!"
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,510

Post#898 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Butler is volatile. He's outspoken which can be great at times, and he's a natural leader, but this was going to be Jo's and Bens team moving forward and Butler would have made it very difficult for Embiid, but mainly Simmons to grow as players. Last year this time, we were all super pissed because we had let Butler walk. Now it's the opposite. This proves that professional sports can be a rollercoaster ride and that you really do need a lot of luck on your side to win. The stars need to align, players need to be having peak seasons, and you need to be healthy. All in all I think we recovered decently from the Butler trade. It was a risk we didn't necessarily need to take back when it happened. I didn't think we gave the Fultz experiment enough time to turn into anything, but that was an absolute mess from the beginning.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#899 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 30, 2021 3:10 pm

I think my biggest surprise coming out of that offseason is that Richardson didn't end up being better. I really thought there was decent odds that he was going to be like Tobias and keep gradually improving to the point that he became a borderline all star. If that happens then it makes the decision of Tobias versus Jimmy (to the extent that was a decision) a little different because they presumably didn't have an easy S+T for Tobias (So it's really Tobias+Josh versus Jimmy). But obviously that didn't happen and he's not even starting for Dallas at this point.

I guess at this point it's still Tobias+Curry versus Jimmy (and a 2nd). I'd still rather have Jimmy (team dynamics aside) but it's more acceptable than it used to be. One underrated thing about Tobias is that he's still pretty young (29 in July) and should be in his prime for the life of his deal barring injury. The concern with Jimmy (32 in September) wasn't the first 2 years of a 5 year deal it was the last two.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#900 » by spikeslovechild » Sun May 30, 2021 5:06 pm

76ciology wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Agree with all of what you said.

I dont see how Ben, Jimmy and Biid can work in the long run.

People will say “but we almost made it to the finals” or “but we have the best NetRtg”, i just dont see it based on eyetest and basic basketball knowledge. You can’t win with 2 guards who can’t shoot with a team with a center as your best player. Specially with how the offense is on overdrive these days.

NetRtg is not end all be all, or else the team with the best NetRtg will always win. A 5 man with the best NetRtg may not be the best 5 man unit (downfall of Brett). It will depend on several factors like hot hand, game situation and if what the opponent’s 5 man is.

You also have to factor in Ben and Jimmy’s ego. I dont see Jimmy lasting long with how we run our team with Ben. Hell, Jimmy even has issues with his current team.

What I could see and I dont mind to see is we stick with Jimmy then trading Ben. Maybe if we did go that route and didn’t hire Morey, we could have Harden, Jimmy, Biid and maybe even Tobi by now. But that would also be unfair because nobody can see the future.

Yep it's part of the reason I was onboard with the two center strategy. Not because I thought Horford was going to be a great pick or value but because him and richardson would in theory help space the floor.

Now that turned into a disaster but the thought process behind the decision was a good one. Butler was never going to space the floor for us. He is who he is which is a darned good player just not the right fit with this group. I am glad we were somehow able to get from under both deals with Green and Curry.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers