ImageImageImage

2020-2021 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Re: 2020-2021 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#321 » by Kobblehead » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:20 pm

I love how aggressive he is as a slasher, too. Especially at his size and above-average, at best, athleticism. Fearless. And he's a willing three point shooter, ontop of that. I think he's going to be awesome at the next level.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#322 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:We had an opportunity in last draft to select from a few PGs who were young, two-way floor generals (Dotson, Tre Jones) to assist in running an offense on this team at some point in the future. We could have chosen some offensive heavy guards that can shoot off the dribble (Myles Powell, Theo Maledon, Skylar Mays). Instead, we drafted Isaiah Joe who was spoon fed shots his entire career at Arkansas, and Paul Reed, admittedly a good pick.

This upcoming draft doesn't have that depth of guard play from what I've seen.

Telling ya'll, my guy Scottie Pippen Jr. is the answer.

Slash, shoot, pass, defend. He does it all.

Man, that guy is going to have it tough in the NBA. Can you imagine the things he's going to hear from other players because of that ridiculous mom of his? He's going to have to fight somebody every night.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#323 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 pm

Fanbo Zeng, the top Chinese prospect, will play in the G-league, for the Unite. That's the 2nd top Frontcourt player that's signed with them. Smart moves.

The college game is a guards game. Any top NBA forward prospect should choose the G-league if he has the opportunity, and there is a spot available. I watched some of the Unite games. The wings and Forwards were being showcased better than they would have, if they went to college.

Wouldn't touch the G-league if i were a PG prospect though. The Vets make the young guards look terrible
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Post#324 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:10 pm

I'm seeing Jalen Johnson all over the place in mock drafts. If he drops below 20 because he gave up on Duke mid season, I'd trade up for him. His advanced stats are pretty absurd
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#325 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 pm

I also think if we still had the Brand run front office, we'd draft Cam Thomas because he's an exaggeration of what we need: a scorer from anywhere who gets to the line. It just feels like Brand likes to draft those kinds of guys.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#326 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I also think if we still had the Brand run front office, we'd draft Cam Thomas because he's an exaggeration of what we need: a scorer from anywhere who gets to the line. It just feels like Brand likes to draft those kinds of guys.

Brand only had one draft.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#327 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I also think if we still had the Brand run front office, we'd draft Cam Thomas because he's an exaggeration of what we need: a scorer from anywhere who gets to the line. It just feels like Brand likes to draft those kinds of guys.

Brand only had one draft.

Zhaire + Shamet was him with Brown. An incredibly athletic 3&D player and a 3pt spamming guard in college who shot a ridiculously high percentage for the volume. Thybulle was an all time great defender in college basketball. All of these guys had 8+ BPM with Tisse and Zhaire 10+. I'm not faulting him for drafting that way, it's not a terrible strategy. I do think it removes some on ball creators from the equation and is trying to find niche role players rather than swinging for guys who could be stars.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#328 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm seeing Jalen Johnson all over the place in mock drafts. If he drops below 20 because he gave up on Duke mid season, I'd trade up for him. His advanced stats are pretty absurd

He's a defensive stud not too unlike Ben Simmons, coming out.

Not many guys that size can guard every ball handler they play against.

I wouldn't hate the pick. I'd just lament the fact that we'd be ignoring shotcreation.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#329 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'm seeing Jalen Johnson all over the place in mock drafts. If he drops below 20 because he gave up on Duke mid season, I'd trade up for him. His advanced stats are pretty absurd

He's a defensive stud not too unlike Ben Simmons, coming out.

Not many guys that size can guard every ball handler they play against.

I wouldn't hate the pick. I'd just lament the fact that we'd be ignoring shotcreation.

And Ben gave up on LSU mid season too, just decided to keep playing, though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#330 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:28 pm

Imagine having phenom defenders with jumbo F-size like Ben Simmons and Jalen Johnson on the roster (and then a guy like Paul Reed in addition). No team in NBA history would be better equipped to defend the MVP caliber Fs in this league like Bron, Durant, Kawhi.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#331 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:33 pm

If he's there at 25 like Tankathon suggests, then some GMs need to get fired. It's not that he's a surefire pick, but he was a top 10 recruit who is shooting 50% from 2, .313 FTr, 2.7 STL% and 80% FT as a freshman. In this doodoo draft, you take him top 20.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#332 » by DCasey91 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

If he's there at 25 like Tankathon suggests, then some GMs need to get fired. It's not that he's a surefire pick, but he was a top 10 recruit who is shooting 50% from 2, .313 FTr, 2.7 STL% and 80% FT as a freshman. In this doodoo draft, you take him top 20.

Why do think this year is going to be doodoo?

Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Kuminga Johnson Giddey, Sengun, Butler, Bouknight. That’s ten really really solid NBA quality there.

Heck outside the top twenty there’s still good prospects there. Your right though if Christopher falls into our lap would be excited. I think we have Thomas at our pick (Duarte maybe?).
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#333 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Kuminga Johnson Giddey, Sengun, Butler, Bouknight. That’s ten really really solid NBA quality there.

Heck outside the top twenty there’s still good prospects there. Your right though if Christopher falls into our lap would be excited. I think we have Thomas at our pick (Duarte maybe?).

Cunningham, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Johnson and Bouknight are the crown jewels of this draft. Lots of questions, absolutely no depth at all in the back end of the first round (unless teams do a bad job drafting), and complete garbage in the second. If I can’t get one of the top guys, I’d legitimately consider trading out of this draft.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#334 » by DCasey91 » Sat May 1, 2021 12:01 am

Negrodamus wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Cunningham, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Johnson and Bouknight are the crown jewels of this draft. Lots of questions, absolutely no depth at all in the back end of the first round (unless teams do a bad job drafting), and complete garbage in the second. If I can’t get one of the top guys, I’d legitimately consider trading out of this draft.

There’s depth in every draft under the sun, that’s where the big value is. Someone will get drafted in the high 20’s and will be good happens every year.

Filip as a second rounder is great value. Our pick is stuck at an awkward spot (high 20’s) though I agree.
Low 20ish picks and up I’d never trade unless going for a superstar/star package. It’s a free hit at the best available and GM’s will always miss the obvious prospect. This forum picks them up months beforehand.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,679

Post#335 » by stormi » Sat May 1, 2021 3:42 am

It has to be Sharife Cooper if we pick 28+. The production and skill to age ratio is absurd. A true ball dominant point guard.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#336 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 1, 2021 4:55 am

DCasey91 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

There’s depth in every draft under the sun, that’s where the big value is. Someone will get drafted in the high 20’s and will be good happens every year.

Filip as a second rounder is great value. Our pick is stuck at an awkward spot (high 20’s) though I agree.
Low 20ish picks and up I’d never trade unless going for a superstar/star package. It’s a free hit at the best available and GM’s will always miss the obvious prospect. This forum picks them up months beforehand.

There might be, but this draft isn't doing it for me. I'll acknowledge that I'm wrong when it comes to pass, but there won't be too many hits in the late first, second round this year in my opinion.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#337 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 2, 2021 3:23 am

Josh Christopher is so clearly one of the best talents in this class.

Not only does he create shots off the dribble at a fairly respectable rate, but he creates plays on the defensive end with a strong steal percentage. Two way star potential.

The knock is the lack of three point range. However, the free throw shooting suggests he may be able to remedy that if he continues to work on it.

Josh Christopher is built like a tank, too.

I do wish he was a better slasher, though.
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#338 » by DaBolden76 » Mon May 3, 2021 11:08 am

Given the current roster make up. I think moving up for Josh Giddey could be an option. He only just collected his second consecutive triple double. He would be the perfect player to give the keys to for the second unit. This allows Milton to play his natural game. Giddey also a great passer that can open up the court and has started to create his own shots. Basically 76ers get a less athletic Lamelo Ball.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#339 » by Kobblehead » Mon May 3, 2021 8:38 pm

Does Giddey project to have a jumper?

His three and free throw percentage appear disappointing.
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#340 » by DaBolden76 » Mon May 3, 2021 11:12 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Does Giddey project to have a jumper?

His three and free throw percentage appear disappointing.

From what I have seen is his shooting has improved throughout the season. Take out his first lot of games, I think he’s pushing nearly 40% behind the arch.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers