Ja Morant

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Ja Morant 

Post#21 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 pm

I don't think Ja will get up to 90% FT% but that's fine. 80's are still really good. I just like how merely the threat of him driving is enough to collapse a defense on some plays.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#22 » by mattg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am

I’d like to see him shoot at least twice as many 3s as he currently does. It’s going to be imperative for him going forward, and right now he barely even shoots 3s. His results have been good so far, but I wanna see that growth going forward. We all know the efficiency is gonna come down over the 2nd half of the season so might as well get a jump on practicing the shot profile he’s going to need in years to come.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#24 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

With no bias, it was Morant at the draft for me & still is.

IMO, Young is the best scoring guard of the 3, he commands double teams behind the arc, he's creative with the ball, he's an excellent floor spacer & passer. He probably ends up being a better scorer than Morant moving forward, maybe even averages more assists per game also due to him being that offensive threat. However, I have Young in the same vein as Harden, excellent scorer, high usage player (30+% usage) that finds Capella from time to time because of the defensive attention he requires but he only really makes himself better as his teammates watch him pound the ball. I have Morant over him & SGA in his ability to manage a game & teammates, his leadership qualities. Morant doesn't just pound the ball (25% usage) & drop the occasional dime, which Harden/Young can both do. He lets his teammates dominate & recognizes it, hits them in their spots. He understands his teammates, their games, puts them in their spots to succeed & then he picks his spots to dominate the ball to take over offensively, if needed. As the lead guard & primary ball handler he sets the tone of being unselfish & is the main reason his team is averaging 30 assists a game. He could easily be pounding the ball trying to prove himself instead of trusting his teammates.

Though currently Morant & Young are subpar defenders to SGA, I think Morant has the size, length, IQ, with some added bulk to grow on this end, where I don't see Young's defensive potential. I think Morant of the 3, has the most potential to have no holes in his game. From his ability to score, his ability to defend, his ability to pass, his athleticism, his size length, his unselfishness, his shooting to his ability to manage a game/teammates (IQ/leadership), which is already on display as a 20yo. With his ball IQ, he doesn't play like a 20yo rookie, he's leading the youngest team of starters to a potential playoff birth, where SGA in OKC is playing off of vets like Adams/Gallo/Paul & Pauls leadership. Ja's primary running mate is a 20yo Jaren, his veteran support were bit role players on their former teams (Jonas/Crowder/Hill) where CP3 was once considered one of the leagues best lead guards who's performing like he still is.

I think OKC is making a mistake delaying the inevitable but they're probably considering playoff revenue. SGA will be going into his 3rd year nearing his first extension with no young running mates next to him & most of OKC picks are currently projected as quantity over quality where their own is most likely, the most valuable. Wouldn't surprise me if OKC back themselves into having to turnover SGA to better fit a new rebuild timeline.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#25 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

With no bias, it was Morant at the draft for me & still is.

IMO, Young is the best scoring guard of the 3, he commands double teams behind the arc, he's creative with the ball, he's an excellent floor spacer & passer. He probably ends up being a better scorer than Morant moving forward, maybe even averages more assists per game also due to him being that offensive threat. However, I have Young in the same vein as Harden, excellent scorer, high usage player (30+% usage) that finds Capella from time to time because of the defensive attention he requires but he only really makes himself better as his teammates watch him pound the ball. I have Morant over him & SGA in his ability to manage a game & teammates, his leadership qualities. Morant doesn't just pound the ball (25% usage) & drop the occasional dime, which Harden/Young can both do. He lets his teammates dominate & recognizes it, hits them in their spots. He understands his teammates, their games, puts them in their spots to succeed & then he picks his spots to dominate the ball to take over offensively, if needed. As the lead guard & primary ball handler he sets the tone of being unselfish & is the main reason his team is averaging 30 assists a game. He could easily be pounding the ball trying to prove himself instead of trusting his teammates.

Though currently Morant & Young are subpar defenders to SGA, I think Morant has the size, length, IQ, with some added bulk to grow on this end, where I don't see Young's defensive potential. I think Morant of the 3, has the most potential to have no holes in his game. From his ability to score, his ability to defend, his ability to pass, his athleticism, his size length, his unselfishness, his shooting to his ability to manage a game/teammates (IQ/leadership), which is already on display as a 20yo. With his ball IQ, he doesn't play like a 20yo rookie, he's leading the youngest team of starters to a potential playoff birth, where SGA in OKC is playing off of vets like Adams/Gallo/Paul & Pauls leadership. Ja's primary running mate is a 20yo Jaren, his veteran support were bit role players on their former teams (Jonas/Crowder/Hill) where CP3 was once considered one of the leagues best lead guards who's performing like he still is.

I think OKC is making a mistake delaying the inevitable but they're probably considering playoff revenue. SGA will be going into his 3rd year nearing his first extension with no young running mates next to him & most of OKC picks are currently projected as quantity over quality where their own is most likely, the most valuable. Wouldn't surprise me if OKC back themselves into having to turnover SGA to better fit a new rebuild timeline.

If we miss the playoffs and get the #1 pick, I'd move it for SGA in a heartbeat. I'd probably even toss in the UTA 1st as well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:16 am

VCfor3 wrote:If we miss the playoffs and get the #1 pick, I'd move it for SGA in a heartbeat. I'd probably even toss in the UTA 1st as well.

Since the start of the year my perception of both draft & current wing rotation have altered. Brooks, while I think he can still stand to cleanup his tunnel vision, has me doing a 180 on him. Then Melton came in & changed the defensive dynamic showing great chemistry with Ja. IMO, the key to this current win streak was Melton replacing Marko in the rotation.

Jonas is 27 with maybe a 3-5 yr window. 3J IMO, is not a full time 5. If Memphis were to luck into the #1 pick, I'd draft & keep Wiseman. In the 2-3yrs it might take him to develop, Jonas could be exiting his prime in that same time frame. where this team has a 10yr window with Ja & Jaren. I think upon a Jonas exit, Memphis could still use a more post oriented big to replace what he brings to the table, especially rebounding.

I don't know if you remember when I was talking about the playoff run Raptors had with Jonas & Bizz? I think quality depth & versatility at C is important to a teams success. It's a taxing position, so sharing minutes reduces potential injury & keeps legs fresh. Along with the versatility to give teams different approaches.

Lakers - Howard/McGee/Davis .. have them winning with Davis sidelined, where when Gasol broke down for Memphis … 3J with his foul trouble ...

With the #1 pick, Memphis, potentially could have - Jonas/Wiseman/Jaren at C, with Wiseman eventually cheaply replacing the 27yo to compliment Ja & 3J's 10yr timeline. For a future WIseman/3J/Clarke rotation. I think I'd prefer that than trading him for SGA along with addition assets, especially with how the current wing rotation is playing.

-Jonas/(#1 Wiseman)/Jaren
-Jaren/Clarke/Anderson
-(JJ/resign Crowder?/Anderson, potentially - (Trade in mid to late lotto - Okoro) for a defensive stopper
-Brooks/Melton/Allen
-Ja/Tyus/Melton

+ Utah/GS pick capital to cheaply fill out the bench/depth & keep the salary cap healthy.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:If we miss the playoffs and get the #1 pick, I'd move it for SGA in a heartbeat. I'd probably even toss in the UTA 1st as well.

Since the start of the year my perception of both draft & current wing rotation have altered. Brooks, while I think he can still stand to cleanup his tunnel vision, has me doing a 180 on him. Then Melton came in & changed the defensive dynamic showing great chemistry with Ja. IMO, the key to this current win streak was Melton replacing Marko in the rotation.

Jonas is 27 with maybe a 3-5 yr window. 3J IMO, is not a full time 5. If Memphis were to luck into the #1 pick, I'd draft & keep Wiseman. In the 2-3yrs it might take him to develop, Jonas could be exiting his prime in that same time frame. where this team has a 10yr window with Ja & Jaren. I think upon a Jonas exit, Memphis could still use a more post oriented big to replace what he brings to the table, especially rebounding.

I don't know if you remember when I was talking about the playoff run Raptors had with Jonas & Bizz? I think quality depth & versatility at C is important to a teams success. It's a taxing position, so sharing minutes reduces potential injury & keeps legs fresh. Along with the versatility to give teams different approaches.

Lakers - Howard/McGee/Davis .. have them winning with Davis sidelined, where when Gasol broke down for Memphis … 3J with his foul trouble ...

With the #1 pick, Memphis, potentially could have - Jonas/Wiseman/Jaren at C, with Wiseman eventually cheaply replacing the 27yo to compliment Ja & 3J's 10yr timeline. For a future WIseman/3J/Clarke rotation. I think I'd prefer that than trading him for SGA along with addition assets, especially with how the current wing rotation is playing.

-Jaren/Clarke/Anderson
-(JJ/resign Crowder?/Anderson, potentially - (Trade in mid to late lotto - Okoro) for a defensive stopper
-Brooks/Melton/Allen
-Ja/Tyus/Melton

+ Utah/GS pick capital to cheaply fill out the bench/depth & keep the salary cap healthy.

I'd still move the #1 pick for SGA. We can find solid centers later in the draft or for relatively cheap in FA. That changes if Wiseman comes into a workout and is bombing 3's or something, but I think I'd rather have SGA than the poor man's version of Rudy Gobert.

You're right though that we need another solid center on our team.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#28 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

-Jaren/Clarke/Anderson
-Brooks/Melton/Allen
-Ja/Tyus/Melton

I'd still move the #1 pick for SGA. We can find solid centers later in the draft or for relatively cheap in FA. That changes if Wiseman comes into a workout and is bombing 3's or something, but I think I'd rather have SGA than the poor man's version of Rudy Gobert.

Who would you recommend as that potential center for the team?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:24 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

-Jaren/Clarke/Anderson
-Brooks/Melton/Allen
-Ja/Tyus/Melton

Who would you recommend as that potential center for the team?

I think you are referring to the bold so I'll answer that. I'd not trade any real assets to address that prior to the deadline. I think it is awesome that we are in the playoff hunt, but this isn't our time to contend so I'd rather continue to plan for the future. If a center kinda falls into our lap then sure we can take a look at them. Alex Len or WCS could be cheap/free options depending on how things go the next few weeks. If Dieng or Dedmon are going to be dumped then I'd gladly take them on for only mild incentive(a 2nd?). There is also a chance we end up with a big in an Iggy deal. If in FA this offseason we get to a point where we don't have anyone we truly want and still have a lot of cap space left over, I'd offer a big one year deal to Favors, Gasol, or Ibaka. If we are getting lower on cap then maybe Gasol, Mason Plumlee, or Alex Len would be cheap options. Heck if Noah is healthy again then we could waive Bruno (out 4-6wks) and sign him this season or toss him in the "cheap options" grouping for this offseason.

If you meant the SGA team then there are a couple interesting centers in the draft you may be able to get by either having them drop to a pick we own (GSW 2nd if we trade Dallas Iggy or PHX 2nd if we don't) or especially if we move up in the draft to snag one. You also could go after Harrell, Favors, Gasol, Ibaka, or any of the others mentioned above in FA.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,243

Post#30 » by CraftylikeaFox » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:58 pm

Hey Grizzlies fans, quick question for you all.

Your Vancouver jerseys have always been my favorite NBA jersey. I had a Mike Bibby one in the 90's which was actually my very first jersey.

I am a massive fan of Ja Morant so knew immediately that when the Grizzlies started selling Vancouver Morant jerseys I was going to jump on one asap. I haven't seen any available anywhere, aside from youth sizes. There are some fakes floating around various websites but the quality on all of them look pretty shoddy.

Do they just sell out extremely quickly or have the Grizzlies not released them officially yet? If they haven't is there a time frame for when they are expected to release?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:47 pm

CraftylikeaFox wrote:Hey Grizzlies fans, quick question for you all.

Your Vancouver jerseys have always been my favorite NBA jersey. I had a Mike Bibby one in the 90's which was actually my very first jersey.

I am a massive fan of Ja Morant so knew immediately that when the Grizzlies started selling Vancouver Morant jerseys I was going to jump on one asap. I haven't seen any available anywhere, aside from youth sizes. There are some fakes floating around various websites but the quality on all of them look pretty shoddy.

Do they just sell out extremely quickly or have the Grizzlies not released them officially yet? If they haven't is there a time frame for when they are expected to release?

They are selling out hella quick. I was able to get one from the team store in the arena, but their stock only lasted a week or two. They had to stop taking pre-orders at one point because they were worried about being able to fill all the orders. Hopefully another batch will be released soon and maybe you can find one at that point. I'm not sure where online would be the best place to look unfortunately. Maybe someone else will be able to help more.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,243

Post#32 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:57 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
CraftylikeaFox wrote:Hey Grizzlies fans, quick question for you all.

They are selling out hella quick. I was able to get one from the team store in the arena, but their stock only lasted a week or two. They had to stop taking pre-orders at one point because they were worried about being able to fill all the orders. Hopefully another batch will be released soon and maybe you can find one at that point. I'm not sure where online would be the best place to look unfortunately. Maybe someone else will be able to help more.

I appreciate the response. After digging for a while I managed to find two legitimate adult ones in my size. However, they were both going for close to $300. It seems this jersey has a major supply and demand imbalance. I also did a quick search on NBA.com/store and it seems like every other team has their alternates available for a variety of players. It seems to me that this Grizzlies jerseys might be the hardest to find right now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 am

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#34 » by Marcus » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

love these vids.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks