ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1081 » by DowNY » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:56 am

Oscirus wrote:Amen

He has some nerve
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Post#1082 » by Oscirus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:07 am

DowNY wrote:
Oscirus wrote:Amen

He has some nerve

To be fair, thats more **** talking about Randle and payton then it is about RJ.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,201

Post#1083 » by Kampuchea » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:37 am

Jay10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:clap: That was a great video. Getting into the work he has put in and what work is coming in the future. He is going to add to his game pull up 3's and some moves to create shots, step back 3's etc in the coming seasons.

Here is the video for those that are lazy.

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,394

Post#1084 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:56 am

Can’t wait to pair RJB with this kid

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMexscS1t/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#1085 » by BugginOut » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Straight bully
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#1086 » by Nostrand Ave » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:37 am

RJ is going to be scary in upcoming seasons. Strength and work ethic is a nasty combination.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,247

Post#1087 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:04 am

BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Straight bully

The next great two way wing.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,394

Post#1088 » by dakomish23 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:09 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Straight bully

The next great two way wing.

Next?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#1089 » by FreeSpiritNY » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:02 am

I hope people realize we have the real Maple MAMBA. This kid was so hyper in high school and in college . He was suppose to be the number 1 for years! WOW I can't believe dreams are coming true the way this kid is playing
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#1090 » by Rasho Brezec » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:41 am

I hope RJ Barrett stays a Knick for the rest of his career.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,924

Post#1091 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Legit
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,855

Post#1092 » by 8516knicks » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 pm

If Obi comes through now, this is going to become APOLOGY CENTRAL. Randall, RJ, ... Who's next? Payton? :lol: :evil: :o
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,805

Post#1093 » by cgf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:15 pm

8516knicks wrote:If Obi comes through now, this is going to become APOLOGY CENTRAL. Randall, RJ, ... Who's next? Payton? :lol: :evil: :o

If Elfrid Payton comes back next season shooting 38%% from 3, I will give up on projecting NBA players' development & stick to the NHL & Bundesliga, because if Elf can learn to shoot then there's no point to even trying to project NBAers' growth :lol:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1094 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:03 pm

cgf wrote:
8516knicks wrote:If Obi comes through now, this is going to become APOLOGY CENTRAL. Randall, RJ, ... Who's next? Payton? :lol: :evil: :o

If Elfrid Payton comes back next season shooting 38%% from 3, I will give up on projecting NBA players' development & stick to the NHL & Bundesliga, because if Elf can learn to shoot then there's no point to even trying to project NBAers' growth :lol:

frank should be next. (FYI, still is and will always be younger than obi toppin.)
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1095 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:04 pm

obi coming. i been telling heads to relax. receipts errwhurr.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1096 » by cgf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
cgf wrote:

frank should be next. (FYI, still is and will always be younger than obi toppin.)

Man, I wanna say Frank is already there with the progress he's made from behind the arc...but I'm just not sure how the organization views him and whether he'll even be a knick past this season. I'm hopeful that he's back on his QO as a 3&D guy, but I also can't silence the voice in the back of my head that's saying Knox & Ntilikina will be used to move around on draft night.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1097 » by cgf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I didn't like the pick -- bigs who don't defend the rim or perimeter well, are turn-offs for me high in the draft -- but he could still become a real player if he learns to defend from Taj and the coaching staff. I feel like him filling out, polishing his shot & tightening his handle is pretty plausible, but even if he does all that and, if he still can't protect the rim it'll be hard for him to get significant PT here.

If OTOH, he can start figuring that Taj/Horford game out, then there's an avenue for him to shine; starting off as the 3rd center & Julius-backup next season, then moving up to a 20+ min a night 3rd big role in year three after having stepped up when Nerlens or Mitch misses time next year.

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1098 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:31 pm

cgf wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I didn't like the pick -- bigs who don't defend the rim or perimeter well, are turn-offs for me high in the draft -- but he could still become a real player if he learns to defend from Taj and the coaching staff. I feel like him filling out, polishing his shot & tightening his handle is pretty plausible, but even if he does all that and, if he still can't protect the rim it'll be hard for him to get significant PT here.

If OTOH, he can start figuring that Taj/Horford game out, then there's an avenue for him to shine; starting off as the 3rd center & Julius-backup next season, then moving up to a 20+ min a night 3rd big role in year three after having stepped up when Nerlens or Mitch misses time next year.

obi's offensive package is more jayson tatum than al horford. not comparing him directly to either player, but this is not a plodding big who is going to try to bully everyone in the paint and also shoot threes. his problem is he has the game of a wing in the body of a prototypical 4 man.

in the half court obi can space. he did it at dayton just fine. he also is pretty good at finding people in a randle kind of way when he has a mismatch on the block. but that's not where i would send him at this level except to exploit an obvious mismatch.

he's also a lob threat and a terror on the break... if we ever did that. and he got a lot of his threes as a trailer in college. we saw a few of those opportunities yesterday.

that said, he is learning to make himself useful as a rebounder and battler on defense down low. i might not ever have the timing or size to be a stifling shotblocker. but he is giving effort down there and it shows in his rebounding if nothing else. he's using his athleticism to get big ones with ferocity.

but you're right. on this team this all just means he has to continue to prepare to eat whatever scraps there are at a forward position. even if he is randle's sole backup, that might only be 10 minutes per game. then he'd have to find his other minutes next to randle in small ball lineups. when we're trying to win dogfights, taj is going to make more sense sometimes. he's just not on a team that needs him to play many minutes. but thibs always wants you to go balls to the wall with whatever minutes you get, and be prepared to be the next player getting ran like a dog if the guy in front of you misses time.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1099 » by cgf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

obi's offensive package is more jayson tatum than al horford. not comparing him directly to either player, but this is not a plodding big who is going to try to bully everyone in the paint and also shoot threes. his problem is he has the game of a wing in the body of a prototypical 4 man.

in the half court obi can space. he did it at dayton just fine. he also is pretty good at finding people in a randle kind of way when he has a mismatch on the block. but that's not where i would send him at this level except to exploit an obvious mismatch.

he's also a lob threat and a terror on the break... if we ever did that. and he got a lot of his threes as a trailer in college. we saw a few of those opportunities yesterday.

that said, he is learning to make himself useful as a rebounder and battler on defense down low. i might not ever have the timing or size to be a stifling shotblocker. but he is giving effort down there and it shows in his rebounding if nothing else. he's using his athleticism to get big ones with ferocity.

but you're right. on this team this all just means he has to continue to prepare to eat whatever scraps there are at a forward position. even if he is randle's sole backup, that might only be 10 minutes per game. then he'd have to find his other minutes next to randle in small ball lineups. when we're trying to win dogfights, taj is going to make more sense sometimes. he's just not on a team that needs him to play many minutes. but thibs always wants you to go balls to the wall with whatever minutes you get, and be prepared to be the next player getting ran like a dog if the guy in front of you misses time.

Oh he has the potential to do a lot more offensively than Taj or Horford, but that won't matter for us if he can't learn to defend the 5 the way they do...and it's on the defensive end that I'd like to see Obi learning from them. I'm much less concerned with his offensive development.

He has the physical tools to play that Taj/Horford game defensively and he's new enough to being a big that I'm hopeful his bad instincts aren't too deeply ingrained...like they were with Amar'e...but he's going to need to take a step defensively next season to show that he is growing in the direction of a Taj-esque defender who won't need to be next to a rim-protector to get PT from Thibs.

Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 350

Post#1100 » by Knicks365247 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am

I'm hopeful that Obi "What's Poppin!?" Toppin can learn from Taj on how to play defense as a big. I'd very much like the Knicks have Taj be brought back next season to continue to be a veteran presence and a player development type coach for Obi. Also you would think that if Obi learns the right interior defensive positioning with his leaping ability he could grow into a decent rim protector.

Return to New York Knicks