Image ImageImage Image

The Around The NBA Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,553

Re: The Around The NBA Thread 

Post#181 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Atlanta never loses any more. Beat the Bucks yesterday, and MIlwaukee had everybody available. The Hawks went from deeply underperforming under Lloyd Pierce to overperforming under Nate McMillan. They always were going to be good entering this year, with Capela and Trae and Collins and good support players they *had* to be good, but I think not this good. Still, they have a strong shot at getting a #4/#5 seed, which would give them a fighting chance at making the second round. A pretty nice accomplishment for a franchise that was near the bottom two years ago.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#182 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Ice Man wrote:Atlanta never loses any more. Beat the Bucks yesterday, and MIlwaukee had everybody available. The Hawks went from deeply underperforming under Lloyd Pierce to overperforming under Nate McMillan. They always were going to be good entering this year, with Capela and Trae and Collins and good support players they *had* to be good, but I think not this good. Still, they have a strong shot at getting a #4/#5 seed, which would give them a fighting chance at making the second round. A pretty nice accomplishment for a franchise that was near the bottom two years ago.

So many EC teams surging in this late stretch... Atlanta, Knicks, Wizards. Boston was pretty good post trade too but have dropped a bunch lately.

Sucks because I thought that was gonna be us with all the moves we made, but expecting instant cohesion was probably always gonna be unrealistic given the schedule. I do think the team is better now and would’ve performed better if this was the roster we had at the beginning of the year. There’s always next year I guess.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#183 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:07 pm

Very often teams do better at deadlines with addition-by-subtraction.

Hey it happened to the GarPax Bulls.. We actually got better, made playoff rallies even though we “lost” these trades (in immediate talent): OKC Taj, CLE/Deng, 09 CHA (Tyrus and Salmons - of course that future FRP was a nice long term asset, until it wasn’t... cough, McD).

And the trades that improved our squads temporarily (prev. mentioned Salmons and Miller, gave us an epic Celtics series in 08), and of course Otto - they backfired the following year.

Anyway, my point is that irregularities happen cause some guys play well above their actual skill level while on honey moon.. and generally thinner rotations create tighter chemistry and simpler rotations.

This team already looks better with less active guys, and it’s missing its 2 best and most athletic wings; which makes no sense. I really think they just need an off-season to clean up the roster, but also a long training camp to get the concept right. The talent is good on paper, but as we’ve seen it’s been a clunky fit, and rotations have been challenging.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#184 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:48 pm

Ice Man wrote:Atlanta never loses any more. Beat the Bucks yesterday, and MIlwaukee had everybody available. The Hawks went from deeply underperforming under Lloyd Pierce to overperforming under Nate McMillan. They always were going to be good entering this year, with Capela and Trae and Collins and good support players they *had* to be good, but I think not this good. Still, they have a strong shot at getting a #4/#5 seed, which would give them a fighting chance at making the second round. A pretty nice accomplishment for a franchise that was near the bottom two years ago.

They are playing great but look who they have to pass for the 4th seed. Knicks and Hawks are tied but the Knicks own the tie break. Knicks never lose anymore either and the Knicks just beat ATL in OT going away. Held them to 5 pts in the OT period. Knicks beat them because they could get stops when they needed them and the Hawks couldn't. It'll be interesting because the Knicks have a really tough schedule. Other than us and the Rockets they have the Suns, Grizz, Denver, Suns again, Clippers , Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Celts. That has got to be the toughest schedule in the NBA to finish the season. If it stays those two teams in the 4 and 5 spots it will be a interesting 1st round series but the Knicks have swept them this season 3-0.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#185 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Am2626 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

MPJ is who we hoped/expected that Lauri would become.

MPJ was always a higher level prospect then Lauri. The injury and missing most of his year in college is what dropped his value. His upside and potential was always there. Not taking him at 7 may end up being one of GarPax’s biggest mistakes.

Especially given who we passed on him for. I could understand if we were picking between Porter and Luka or Porter and Bagley. But to take WCJ over him, even with the injury history, was just a huge mistake by Pax. Ironically, while Porter now appears to be healthy, a bunch of guys taken before him have had repeated injury problems- JJJ, Bomba, Bagley and WCJ.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#186 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Knicks just came out on fire and jumped all over the Suns. 15-5 just a few minutes in. Thibs has those Knicks looking like legit title contenders. That defense. Wow.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#187 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 am

Yeah I am salty that the Knicks and Wiz are playing their best ball in years down the stretch and we are at our worst.
The Cult of Personality
Dresden
RealGM

Post#188 » by Dresden » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 am

RJ Hampton has been having a nice 2nd season. His fg% was a real question mark with him, and he's gotten that up to 44%/38%, very respectable. He's improved in almost every category. With his size, he could be a steady 18-20ppg, 5-6 rpg, 4-5 apg type player for a long time, along with good defense. Maybe not an all-star, but a very solid player.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#189 » by Just_Bullz » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:56 am

Man... Knicks lost, that's a bummer. Love the effort, it's at least a loss to the Suns.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#190 » by Dresden » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 am

Porter Jr, with another 30 point game. He could become a top 10 scorer next year if he stays healthy.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#191 » by cool007 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:09 am

Man Bradley Beal really wants to get that scoring title. He had another high FGAs type gamewith 37 freaking shot attempts to score 45 points and only 1 assist. If Zach had that kind of game and Bulls would have lost, Bulls board would be "Trade Lavine" threads all over.

When Zach had about 30 shots to score 50, our board is like he took too many shots and froze everyone - blah blah blah.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#192 » by cool007 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:13 am

Dresden wrote:Porter Jr, with another 30 point game. He could become a top 10 scorer next year if he stays healthy.

I was so pissed when Bulls didn't move up from that 22nd pick to 13th spot to pick him up. I was like he is zero risk and high reward at that spot, why not try???
Gar/Pax as usual disappoint.

I also wanted us to move up from that 7th spot but Gar/Pax are more worried about floors than ceilings.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#193 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:14 am

Just_Bullz wrote:Man... Knicks lost, that's a bummer. Love the effort, it's at least a loss to the Suns.

ATL lost too. To Detroit and they played their worst game in a while. Scored just 86 pts. The Suns were amazing tonight. Chris Paul showed why he is CP3 down the stretch of that one. If not for CP, the Suns would not have held on... Knicks were coming late but Paul stymied them with some circus shots and just incredible stuff from him. Great game to watch though. The Bulls game was awesome also. Best game they've played in a long time. Well, their two best games of the season have come without Zach and they are 4-3 now.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#194 » by CobyWhite0 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:32 am

cool007 wrote:
Dresden wrote:Porter Jr, with another 30 point game. He could become a top 10 scorer next year if he stays healthy.

I was so pissed when Bulls didn't move up from that 22nd pick to 13th spot to pick him up. I was like he is zero risk and high reward at that spot, why not try???

I also wanted us to move up from that 7th spot but Gar/Pax are more worried about floors than ceilings.

Zero risk? There was all kinds or risk, obviously - he only played 3 games during his year at Missouri, and then he missed his entire rookie year because of his back.

Based on his skills, he was easily a top-3 pick - he fell to #14 because he was such a huge medical risk.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#195 » by ZOMG » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:40 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
cool007 wrote:

Zero risk? There was all kinds or risk, obviously - he only played 3 games during his year at Missouri, and then he missed his entire rookie year because of his back.

Based on his skills, he was easily a top-3 pick - he fell to #14 because he was such a huge medical risk.

Exactly. I look at Denver finding success with MPJ the way I look at a dude making a half court shot with 15 seconds in the shot clock - hey, low odds but it happens. Good for them.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,211

Post#196 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:18 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
cool007 wrote:

Yeah and Denver getting him at 14 was still considered risky because there was a chance he might not ever play a minute in the NBA. Luckily for everyone he got healthy but his injury was highly concerning to the whole league... his skills were never doubted. Denver had a reverse Portland effect with him.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#197 » by Chi town » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 am

Raps Pacers and Hornets all lose tonight.

Need that Knicks Dub tomorrow night
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#198 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:30 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:

They are playing great but look who they have to pass for the 4th seed. Knicks and Hawks are tied but the Knicks own the tie break. Knicks never lose anymore either and the Knicks just beat ATL in OT going away. Held them to 5 pts in the OT period. Knicks beat them because they could get stops when they needed them and the Hawks couldn't. It'll be interesting because the Knicks have a really tough schedule. Other than us and the Rockets they have the Suns, Grizz, Denver, Suns again, Clippers , Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Celts. That has got to be the toughest schedule in the NBA to finish the season. If it stays those two teams in the 4 and 5 spots it will be a interesting 1st round series but the Knicks have swept them this season 3-0.

The Knicks only won that game because Trae got hurt.

The Hawks were up by 11 late in the 3rd quarter when Trae got hurt and left the game.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#199 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am

I'm not with all this Knicks love. Thibs/Rose/Taj are cool, but it's still the Knicks.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#200 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

The Knicks only won that game because Trae got hurt.

The Hawks were up by 11 late in the 3rd quarter when Trae got hurt and left the game.

That same ATL team, WITHOUT Trae, just beat a full strength Milwaukee in their next game. The fact they were down 11 means nothing. The Knicks have come back from a lot of deficits in 4th Q's during this run, because they wear teams down and they get stronger as the game goes on, which is the trait of a good team. They don't die in the 4th Q of games.

Regarding your other reply to my same post, undermining the Knicks streak, I'll just say that it's the NBA and a 9 game winning streak is damn impressive regardless. Also, They beat a Raptors team that had won 6 in a row and Charlotte came in on another 4 or 5 game winning streak. Any team in the NBA can beat any other team on any given night, that is why a 9 game winning streak is very impressive. If it weren't we would see all of the best teams doing it routinely, but they don't.

Return to Chicago Bulls