ImageImageImage

AOS: Who cares what the score was? They lost to the Thunder. (32-30)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,927

Re: AOS: Who cares what the score was? They lost to the Thunder. (32-30) 

Post#121 » by Dangit » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
CSL_1904 wrote:I give up on this team.

Love Brad but I'm afraid he has to go at the end of the season. This is just unacceptable at this point.

Brad Stevens has 6 years left on his deal after this year. Stevens is going nowhere

Especially after playing like 6 games with a healthy roster ....
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Post#122 » by chrisab123 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 pm

We can make all the excuses that we want for this core. At this point its embarrassing. This team could have 18 wins and people would still make excuses. The core doesn't mesh and its time to mix it up. One of Kemba Smart Tatum or Brown needs to go in the offseason. Obviously you don't really trade guys like Tatum or Brown unless they want out which might be possible by this time next year. I get that this team has made the ECF 3 out of 4 years but they also don't raise banners at the Garden for being an East Finalist. This isn't Indianapolis. This team could finish with 42, 44, 46 wins whatever...they're getting bounced in the first round. The only time they played with any heart is when Perk called them out. Maybe having a respected veteran on the bench (no disrespect to Evan Turner) that has played in the NBA and was looked at as a locker room leader would help Brad. Thats a novel idea that I don't think that Howdy Doody would go for at this point. Danny should be begging James Posey and Perk to join this staff next year. Begging.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#123 » by gocelts » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm

i dont think people are making excuses here....I think this one hit hard. Marcus was a disgrace. Fournier looks so nonathletic I cant believe he's in the NBA, and Langford and Neismith are turning into busts right in front of our eyes.

Brad had the team shooting 3s down to 18% and they STILL kept launching them. Those aren't GOOD shots when they cant make them. That's a ridiculous philosophy and evident in our underwhelming record.
~gocelts
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#124 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:Taking away that last heave Brown/Pritchard 8/20 from three. Which means everyone else was 3-28. Smart and Fournier picked a really bad game to go 3-19. the non Jaylen starters were 10-38 from the field for 29 points. That is impossibly bad.

Honestly the fact that Jaylen scored 39 while primarily covered by Dort is extremely impressive. But there are no other good defenders on this OKC team.

The ways in which the c's suck are numerous. They are probably gonna be somewhere 6-8 in the standings so they will be underdogs in round 1, if they make it.

Starting to think you are low key jaylens agent

Ya if thats what you're taking away from this post I think you're missing my point, which is that we somehow won the one actually advantageous defensive matchup OKC had on the c's and yet we sucked so much in every other facet of the game it didn't matter. I mean if somebody told me Jaylen and Pritchard combined for 67 points on great efficiency before tonights game I would have assumed we won by 20.

Its kind of impressive that the c's can just continually find a new way to lose. Some nights they shoot terribly from three. Some nights its the defense. Some nights its turnovers. Some nights its clutch play. Some nights its a gigantic free throw disparity. Tonight it was 3 point shooting and just general lack of defensive resistance.

So, confirmation you are his agent?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#125 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 pm

All I know is when a team is talking about trying to find their passion and fire with 10 games to go in the regular season that’s never a good thing.

Trying to find your passion, desire and fire with 10 games to go before the playoffs?

Embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#126 » by return2glory » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Red2 wrote:Given timelord’s injury history, trading Theis was a huge risk. At this point im back to going for a lottery pick. This year has been a disaster and why not at leadt get a higher draft pick .

I was going to say earlier, am I the only one that misses Theis?

Agree on Timelord’s injury history. Theis is gone now and Kanter was tossed away in the off season. Both guys are much better than TT. That’s on Ainge.

I would be excited about the lottery but Danny’s last two picks at 14 have been huge flops to this point. Good thing he got the Pritchard pick right.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#127 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm

return2glory wrote:
Red2 wrote:Given timelord’s injury history, trading Theis was a huge risk. At this point im back to going for a lottery pick. This year has been a disaster and why not at leadt get a higher draft pick .

I was going to say earlier, am I the only one that misses Theis?

Agree on Timelord’s injury history. Theis is gone now and Kanter was tossed away in the off season. Both guys are much better than TT. That’s on Ainge.

I would be excited about the lottery but Danny’s last two picks at 14 have been huge flops to this point. Good thing he got the Pritchard pick right.

The funny part is Kanter was making 5 mils. Instead of we paid 20 in 2 years for a guy who can rebound and has a push shot, basically. 8-) 8-) I like Kornett more than TT and Theis is obviously a far superior all-around player.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#128 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:Such great games for Brown and Pritchard went to waste.
Solid showing for Kornett.

Jaylen 39/11/3 on 26 shots last night, with 3 turnovers.
Tatum 38/10/4 on 27 shots against the Nets, with 5 turnovers.

How was one a great game, and the other “not very good”? Especially considering the difference in opponent talent level. You said it was because Tatum struggled late in that game, but tonight Jaylen didn’t score from around the 8 minute mark in the 4th until there was 22 seconds left, with 2 turnovers in that stretch. I think he was mostly excellent FWIW, just not aggressive enough down the stretch.

It’s a minor nitpick, but damn the double standards are crazy lol.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#129 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

Love Brad but I'm afraid he has to go at the end of the season. This is just unacceptable at this point.

Brad Stevens has 6 years left on his deal after this year. Stevens is going nowhere

They signed him out 7 years last season???!!!???

And they'll agree to a buyout with Stevens also getting paid elsewhere. He doesn't want another year of this.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#130 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

And they'll agree to a buyout with Stevens also getting paid elsewhere. He doesn't want another year of this.

As long as Danny is here, Brad will be here until he wants to leave. I think Danny will be gone first,
though.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#131 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:14 pm

The Comedian wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Brad Stevens has 6 years left on his deal after this year. Stevens is going nowhere

As long as Danny is here, Brad will be here until he wants to leave. I think Danny will be gone first,
though.

Hopefully as soon as the season ends.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#132 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

though.

Hopefully as soon as the season ends.

I think they will both be here for at least next season, I don’t think ownership will hold the covid season against them.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#133 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:22 pm

The Comedian wrote:

How was one a great game, and the other “not very good”? Especially considering the difference in opponent talent level. You said it was because Tatum struggled late in that game, but tonight Jaylen didn’t score from the 8 minute mark in the 4th until there was 22 seconds left, with 2 turnovers in that stretch. I think he was mostly excellent FWIW, just not aggressive enough down the stretch.

He was basically THE GUY with Pritchard as the 2nd most potent scorer on the squad. So, for me, that's a pretty decent game for him.

As for Jayson, he was in a similar situation, what disappointed me in that game, is him being guarded by Kyrie and turning the ball over down the stretch, which was extremely disappointing. Irving is probably 185 pounds. That's kinda embarrassing. I also believe Tatum's current season is a downgrade from last season. I think he was more aggressive last season and played more on defense. He also reverted back to the long 2s in quite a few games.
If we're comparing Tatum and Brown, I'd say Brown has picked up his game on offense this season while his level of effort on defense has been lacking at times.
Tatum's offense, imo, looks worse this year(than last) and his defense is A LOT worse than last year. Tatum has also been given a lot more opportunities on offense and has been "the guy" on that end. Obviously, injuries and Covid are in play here, but still it's not been a season where Tatum has elevated his game for me personally. I think his game has taken a hit. He's still playing decent and I'm one of his biggest fans on this forum before he was even drafted I knew he could be special.
One more thing, people will call me a conspiracy theorist, but I get a really poor vibe from Tatum the last half a season. I wouldn't be shocked if we see him in LAL jersey next time he's up for a contract renewal. Quote me on this(hope I'm wrong).
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#134 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:26 pm

The Comedian wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Brad Stevens has 6 years left on his deal after this year. Stevens is going nowhere

though.

Actually, I guess I really I think they'll both be gone this summer. The question is who/what is next.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#135 » by CelticsLV » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:35 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Spoiler:
CelticsLV wrote:Image

Who's that? The Big O after Johnny got done with him one night?

It's from a Chris Farley movie Beverly Hills Ninja
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#136 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:41 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

How was one a great game, and the other “not very good”? Especially considering the difference in opponent talent level. You said it was because Tatum struggled late in that game, but tonight Jaylen didn’t score from the 8 minute mark in the 4th until there was 22 seconds left, with 2 turnovers in that stretch. I think he was mostly excellent FWIW, just not aggressive enough down the stretch.

He was basically THE GUY with Pritchard as the 2nd most potent scorer on the squad. So, for me, that's a pretty decent game for him.

As for Jayson, he was in a similar situation, what disappointed me in that game, is him being guarded by Kyrie and turning the ball over down the stretch, which was extremely disappointing. Irving is probably 185 pounds. That's kinda embarrassing. I also believe Tatum's current season is a downgrade from last season. I think he was more aggressive last season and played more on defense. He also reverted back to the long 2s in quite a few games.
If we're comparing Tatum and Brown, I'd say Brown has picked up his game on offense this season while his level of effort on defense has been lacking at times.
Tatum's offense, imo, looks worse this year(than last) and his defense is A LOT worse than last year. Tatum has also been given a lot more opportunities on offense and has been "the guy" on that end. Obviously, injuries and Covid are in play here, but still it's not been a season where Tatum has elevated his game for me personally. I think his game has taken a hit. He's still playing decent and I'm one of his biggest fans on this forum before he was even drafted I knew he could be special.

One more thing, people will call me a conspiracy theorist, but I get a really poor vibe from Tatum the last half a season. I wouldn't be shocked if we see him in LAL jersey next time he's up for a contract renewal. Quote me on this(hope I'm wrong)

But wasn’t Tatum “the guy” against the Nets, Jaylen/Kemba/Rob all missed the game. And I mean, you’re talking about the one or two possessions that Kyrie defended him lol.

I’m not sure how his offense has gotten worse, he’s scoring more than last year, on slightly better efficiency. He’s actually taking slightly less deep two’s than last season, though more short midrange shots. He has to deal with being the guy other defenses game plan around slowing down, he’s consistently dealing with 2 or even 3 guys trying to stop him, as Scalpointed out against the Hornets the other night. Their offensive rating when he plays is 114, when he sits it’s 105.9, a difference of +8.1. No other rotation player has a difference over +4.

As far as “opportunities” on offense, Tatum’s usage is 29.6%, as opposed to 29% for Jaylen. Pretty much the exact same usage, Tatum takes 20.3 shots a game, Jaylen takes 18.9 shots. He is definitely given more responsibility as a playmaker, but that’s because he is more equipped to, has a assist % of 19.6%, and a TO rate of 9.1%, as opposed to 16.5% and 10.2% for Jaylen.

Defensively they’ve both taken a pretty big step back, the teams defensive rating when Tatum is in is 110.8, when he sits it’s 107.5. When Jaylen plays it’s 111.2, and 108.7 when he sits. Overall their net rating on/off’s are +1.4 for Jaylen, and +4.8 for Tatum. The team falls off a cliff when Tatum isn’t in the game, though it’s all about the offense, as opposed to falling off on both ends last season.

I think perception of players gets in the way of things, for posters. I’m absolutely guilty of it myself at times, too. As for your last point, it kind of ties in to what I mean about your perception of a player clouding your judgement. Could his body language be better at times? Absolutely. But I think a more likely explanation is that he was exhausted post covid, unless we think him and other players are lying.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#137 » by itrsteve » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:23 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Maybe having a respected veteran on the bench (no disrespect to Evan Turner) that has played in the NBA and was looked at as a locker room leader would help Brad. Thats a novel idea that I don't think that Howdy Doody would go for at this point. Danny should be begging James Posey and Perk to join this staff next year. Begging.

I've been screaming this one. We need a vocal vet to get into their asses and do the dirty work, we have a larger effort problem than a talent one.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#138 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:30 pm

itrsteve wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Maybe having a respected veteran on the bench (no disrespect to Evan Turner) that has played in the NBA and was looked at as a locker room leader would help Brad. Thats a novel idea that I don't think that Howdy Doody would go for at this point. Danny should be begging James Posey and Perk to join this staff next year. Begging.

I've been screaming this one. We need a vocal vet to get into their asses and do the dirty work, we have a larger effort problem than a talent one.

This team has problems everywhere there could be one, it’s crazy. We lack both top end talent and bench talent lol. A top 15 guy and a top 25 guy isn’t enough in this league, even with a great bench, which we clearly don’t have. We also have a team that doesn’t put in consistent effort, the communication on defense is horrible, Brad clearly is tuned out, at least to an extent.

Lack of talent- Check
Lack of toughness- Check
Lack of basketball iq- Check
Lack of effort- Check

This is such a poor reflection on both the players and the coach, and of course Danny for putting it together.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#139 » by Homerclease » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:33 pm

You can’t win games when Semi, Grant and Romeo are in your rotation together. Three completely useless players
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#140 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Starting to think you are low key jaylens agent

Ya if thats what you're taking away from this post I think you're missing my point, which is that we somehow won the one actually advantageous defensive matchup OKC had on the c's and yet we sucked so much in every other facet of the game it didn't matter. I mean if somebody told me Jaylen and Pritchard combined for 67 points on great efficiency before tonights game I would have assumed we won by 20.

Its kind of impressive that the c's can just continually find a new way to lose. Some nights they shoot terribly from three. Some nights its the defense. Some nights its turnovers. Some nights its clutch play. Some nights its a gigantic free throw disparity. Tonight it was 3 point shooting and just general lack of defensive resistance.

So, confirmation you are his agent?

Man i wish. Easy money. What do agents make? I'll take half of that and still get him the max next contract.

Return to Boston Celtics