Image ImageImage Image

The Marko Simonovic season thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Re: The Marko Simonovic season thread 

Post#81 » by PaKii94 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 pm

I hope he does well because he's on the bulls but I'm not impressed at all lol. He's a scrawnier, shorter, less athletic lauri and we all know how polarizing lauri is. He's going to get worked in the NBA. His highlights are less impressive than Niko's
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#82 » by sco » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:56 pm

PaKii94 wrote:I hope he does well because he's on the bulls but I'm not impressed at all lol. He's a scrawnier, shorter, less athletic lauri and we all know how polarizing lauri is. He's going to get worked in the NBA. His highlights are less impressive than Niko's

He seems quick and seems to move well with and without the ball. I like his handle and his footwork. He also seems to have some decent post moves. I agree that he doesn't seem to have great strength or hops. IMO, like everything else, if he can consistently sink 3's (I think he is just average), it will make or break him in the NBA. That and never mention him and Lauri in the same sentence.
:clap:
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#83 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 am

Read on Twitter
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#84 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 am

Well, I guess we'll see if he's coming over this offseason. Even if we manage to S&T Lauri (I believe we'll end up staying over the cap), there will be a logjam in the front court. So, as much as I'd like to keep Theis, I don't really feel it's that likely to happen.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#85 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:11 am

Grodoboldo wrote:Well, I guess we'll see if he's coming over this offseason. Even if we manage to S&T Lauri (I believe we'll end up staying over the cap), there will be a logjam in the front court. So, as much as I'd like to keep Theis, I don't really feel it's that likely to happen.

Why don't you think resigning Thies won't happen? I actually feel that it's very likely to happen considering we have given him an opportunity to start, and he will likely be offered and accept an offer much less than what the market will likely offer Lauri simply due to age and previous play.
Why so serious?
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#86 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:38 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:Well, I guess we'll see if he's coming over this offseason. Even if we manage to S&T Lauri (I believe we'll end up staying over the cap), there will be a logjam in the front court. So, as much as I'd like to keep Theis, I don't really feel it's that likely to happen.

Why don't you think resigning Thies won't happen? I actually feel that it's very likely to happen considering we have given him an opportunity to start, and he will likely be offered and accept an offer much less than what the market will likely offer Lauri simply due to age and previous play.

I just feel he'll get a good offer on a team that will feature him more prominently in the Center spot. Don't get me wrong, if it was up to me, he'd stay, and I do believe we'll make him a competitive offer. I just think we'll come up short on it.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#87 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:43 am

Asked a very trusted source what he thinks about Marko and he isn't optimistic. Thinks any Bulls fan that believes he can be a Lauri replacement is very misguided. The league he plays in is very down this year talent wise. Also told me a few other things about why AK may have drafted him that aren't exactly related to his on court play but can't go into it.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#88 » by ChettheJet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:37 pm

I don't see the Marko era beginning until maybe 2023 when they again are short a FRP. That gives him 2 years to show growth as a player and in strength.

I'd rather look at getting another 2nd round pick this year when there will be end of the bench positions to be filled with several veteran FAs signed to play ahead of 2 rookies.

From my perspective, Lauri has managed to play and attitude his way out of town. The best scenario is a S&T for something or somebody. I think Thad Young is either traded or bought out to give them some cap space. In both cases I think there are a couple of teams who see them as the right fit for what they're doing, even if it's through rose colored glasses.

So I can see Theis staying because he's no kid and I doubt many teams would look to him as a starting center and most have some athletic vertical leaping 4 who they either have or would rather draft that fits the prototype. He's got a good chance with the Bulls, maybe starting at the PF or being the first big off the bench backing up Williams and Vucevic depending on who they sign on the front line.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#89 » by MrSparkle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Asked a very trusted source what he thinks about Marko and he isn't optimistic. Thinks any Bulls fan that believes he can be a Lauri replacement is very misguided. The league he plays in is very down this year talent wise. Also told me a few other things about why AK may have drafted him that aren't exactly related to his on court play but can't go into it.

Hm- do tell.. :-?

Trade chip? Favor to the club for a scouting channel?

Regardless with Vuc and Theis added, and crucial cap options, I figured he’s probably not in any 21/22 plans barre a min. contract.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,690

Post#90 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Asked a very trusted source what he thinks about Marko and he isn't optimistic. Thinks any Bulls fan that believes he can be a Lauri replacement is very misguided. The league he plays in is very down this year talent wise. Also told me a few other things about why AK may have drafted him that aren't exactly related to his on court play but can't go into it.

I don't think people realize that the vast majority of these foreign draft and stash players never even come over to the NBA, and of those that do, the vast majority never do anything other than fill out the back end of a roster for a year or two before being forced to go back to their home country to continue their career. Draft and stash players who turn out to be even decent bench players in the NBA are definitely the exception and not the norm.

Expecting Simonovic to be a replacement for Lauri just shows ignorance of basketball scouting and the differing levels of competition of various pro leagues IMO. On the surface, one can look at Simonovic and say "Hey, his stats are basically the same as Lauri's the year he was drafted. In fact, they're arguably better." The difference is Lauri was 2 years younger, he played his lone season of college ball at one of the best basketball schools in the country, he dominated FIBA competition in 2017, and was the 7th overall pick in a good draft. Simonovic is 2 years older, has played in a weak league, and was drafted 44th in a weak draft. Their play styles are somewhat similar, but they're not comparable in any way in terms of their quality as prospects.

Simonovic comps as a poor man's Lauri. The majority of this board doesn't even like the actual Lauri and is looking forward to moving on from him, so to see so many of those same people so hyped for a similar yet vastly inferior prospect is puzzling. I think people are letting AK, Jokic, and the fact that Jokic and Simonovic played in the same league cloud their judgement. Jokic is like a once in a generation find. Just because he was drafted by AK and became an unlikely superstar doesn't mean that Simonovic will even become a decent NBA player. I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying it's unlikely.

Having said all that, I am glad that we're now more active in scouting and drafting foreign players. As a fan it's fun to follow their development and track their stats, and as far as taking a flyer on a guy in the 2nd round, it seems like draft and stash guys generally have more "boom" potential than domestic college players drafted in the 2nd round.
sco
RealGM

Post#91 » by sco » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 pm

MrSparkle wrote:

Regardless with Vuc and Theis added, and crucial cap options, I figured he’s probably not in any 21/22 plans barre a min. contract.

Sounds like a favor to an agent or scout, etc. Maybe he owed someone for sending some other dude his way back in DEN or maybe he wants to build goodwill for future flow.
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 422

Post#92 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Sorry if this was discussed but is it confirmed he's coming over next year 100%? I'm excited for this guy. Lets hope he's more Niko than Lauri.
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
sco
RealGM

Post#93 » by sco » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm

KissedByaRose1 wrote:Sorry if this was discussed but is it confirmed he's coming over next year 100%? I'm excited for this guy. Lets hope he's more Niko than Lauri.

Nope - sounds unlikely.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#94 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm

sco wrote:
KissedByaRose1 wrote:Sorry if this was discussed but is it confirmed he's coming over next year 100%? I'm excited for this guy. Lets hope he's more Niko than Lauri.

Nope - sounds unlikely.

It doesn't really make sense to bring him over next season, for the team or for his own development, especially if we keep one or both of Theis/Lauri.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#95 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 pm

sco wrote:

Nope - sounds unlikely.

Yeah, I don't see why they'd bring him over next season, unless they plan on letting Theis and Young walk this summer.

Or maybe they figure he can play in the G-League, if they think the competition there is at least comparable to the Adriatic League? That way he's in the city if they need to call him up for a game or two.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,207

Post#96 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:58 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:

I don't think people realize that the vast majority of these foreign draft and stash players never even come over to the NBA, and of those that do, the vast majority never do anything other than fill out the back end of a roster for a year or two before being forced to go back to their home country to continue their career. Draft and stash players who turn out to be even decent bench players in the NBA are definitely the exception and not the norm.

Expecting Simonovic to be a replacement for Lauri just shows ignorance of basketball scouting and the differing levels of competition of various pro leagues IMO. On the surface, one can look at Simonovic and say "Hey, his stats are basically the same as Lauri's the year he was drafted. In fact, they're arguably better." The difference is Lauri was 2 years younger, he played his lone season of college ball at one of the best basketball schools in the country, he dominated FIBA competition in 2017, and was the 7th overall pick in a good draft. Simonovic is 2 years older, has played in a weak league, and was drafted 44th in a weak draft. Their play styles are somewhat similar, but they're not comparable in any way in terms of their quality as prospects.

Simonovic comps as a poor man's Lauri. The majority of this board doesn't even like the actual Lauri and is looking forward to moving on from him, so to see so many of those same people so hyped for a similar yet vastly inferior prospect is puzzling. I think people are letting AK, Jokic, and the fact that Jokic and Simonovic played in the same league cloud their judgement. Jokic is like a once in a generation find. Just because he was drafted by AK and became an unlikely superstar doesn't mean that Simonovic will even become a decent NBA player. I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying it's unlikely.

Having said all that, I am glad that we're now more active in scouting and drafting foreign players. As a fan it's fun to follow their development and track their stats, and as far as taking a flyer on a guy in the 2nd round, it seems like draft and stash guys generally have more "boom" potential than domestic college players drafted in the 2nd round.

I think you forgot Dragan Tarlac who changed the NBA.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#97 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm

sco wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

Sounds like a favor to an agent or scout, etc. Maybe he owed someone for sending some other dude his way back in DEN or maybe he wants to build goodwill for future flow.

and as a favor it isn’t a bad one. We didn’t have the roster spot available anyway so if it got him a favor for the future why not?
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#98 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

And I think you forgot Dalibor Bagaric who revolutionized the game.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#99 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:I don't think people realize that the vast majority of these foreign draft and stash players never even come over to the NBA, and of those that do, the vast majority never do anything other than fill out the back end of a roster for a year or two before being forced to go back to their home country to continue their career. Draft and stash players who turn out to be even decent bench players in the NBA are definitely the exception and not the norm.

I don’t know how I could overlook him. Bags! On,y player with more impact was Kornel David.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#100 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I don’t know how I could overlook him. Bags! On,y player with more impact was Kornel David.

That's disrespectful to Martynas Andriuskevicius (I spelled that without looking it up).

Return to Chicago Bulls