NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects 

Post#61 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:16 pm

I like Daishen Nix quite a bit if Dosunmu and/or Giddey are off the board (I might actually like him more than Giddey, I'm a bit hesitant about whether his athleticism is going to be acceptable at the NBA level - but athletic testing might show that there is less of a gap than I think - or none). I'd be upset if we drafted another center. I'm fine taking the shot with Dok (agree that I liked other prospects more, but if they had him as top 10 and were fairly confident in that assessment I like that they picked perceived potential > fit), but this year there are so many decent guards, wings, and 2 way stretch 4's that it would be a shame not to grab one. I'm surprised Dosunmu isn't universal lottery, so my board for us at 30 is something like:

1. Ayo Dosunmu
2. Daishen Nix
3. Josh Giddey
4. Isaiah Todd
5. Josh Cristopher
6. Keyontae Johnson

If we can move up a bit I'd put Sharife Cooper at 2 (I think he actually has really high upside if his size is not a huge impediment) BJ Boston at 2, and Greg Brown somewhere in the mix.

In the second round I like Juhann Bugarin, Mojave King, Herbert Jones, Quintin Grimes, and Aaron Henry (along with others, but these guys all seem like a good fit for us).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#62 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:51 am

I think Bennedict Mathurin is a steal if he comes out this year and gets picked in the late 1st. As always, I'm wondering what he's like with the ball in his hands, but I like him more than I liked Harrison Barnes coming out of UNC.

With Isaiah Todd, I think you're hoping for MPJ-lite. He needs to go rebound more, but I think as he gains strength he'll be more willing to throw his body into the paint.

I still like Marcus Bagley somewhat, but would be more comfortable in the 2nd round. He's a bit like the Cam Reddish of this draft. Toolsy, nice stroke, nice athlete, but it's not clear if he's fully engaged. I think his IQ and defensive awareness are better than Reddish's.

There are so many guards in this draft, I don't want to be bothered to check them all out.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#63 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:36 am

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#64 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 am

Mathurin looks really raw to me, and I don't think he is going to stay in the draft. His jumper is really slow and I hate the mechanics on it, reminds me a lot of Rodney Hood's jumper that always had him getting injured landing on every defender's feet in a 10 foot vicinity.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#65 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 am

babyjax13 wrote:Mathurin looks really raw to me, and I don't think he is going to stay in the draft. His jumper is really slow and I hate the mechanics on it, reminds me a lot of Rodney Hood's jumper that always had him getting injured landing on every defender's feet in a 10 foot vicinity.

He's still 18. He's got good elevation and lean on his jumper and he's hitting 41% from 3pt.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#66 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Mathurin looks really raw to me, and I don't think he is going to stay in the draft. His jumper is really slow and I hate the mechanics on it, reminds me a lot of Rodney Hood's jumper that always had him getting injured landing on every defender's feet in a 10 foot vicinity.

He's still 18. He's got good elevation and lean on his jumper and he's hitting 41% from 3pt.

Maybe Arizona's system just makes all their prospects look like crap to me. I really don't like Mathurin or Bagley, but in a different system maybe they'd get to show more.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#67 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:46 am

Liking Todd more and more at the end of the first. He is big AND can shoot, that's kind of what we need at power forward.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#68 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Liking Todd more and more at the end of the first. He is big AND can shoot, that's kind of what we need at power forward.

Could be a somewhat poor man's MPJ, and keep in mind MPJ did nothing in the league his first two years.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#69 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Liking Todd more and more at the end of the first. He is big AND can shoot, that's kind of what we need at power forward.

Could be a somewhat poor man's MPJ, and keep in mind MPJ did nothing in the league his first two years.

I think I'm seeing more Trey Lyles (don't think Todd is quite as shift as someone like MPJ or Jerami Grant), but hopefully with a better attitude (I think that would be a fairly decent starting caliber player, which would be a huge win at 30)...or maybe JaMychal Green...

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#70 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:02 pm

So Mathurin is going to back to Arizona. I think the Jazz should be taking a serious look at Roko Prkacin and Isaiah Todd. Both have size, athleticism and some interesting skills. Todd has real shooting touch, while Prkacin has more handle, driving, passing and overall toughness.

Josh Christopher is a good pickup if he's available at #30.

Another sleeper for the Jazz could be David Johnson from Louisville, though I'm not sold on his athleticism.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#71 » by stitches » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Catchall wrote:So Mathurin is going to back to Arizona. I think the Jazz should be taking a serious look at Roko Prkacin and Isaiah Todd. Both have size, athleticism and some interesting skills. Todd has real shooting touch, while Prkacin has more handle, driving, passing and overall toughness.

Another sleeper for the Jazz could be David Johnson from Louisville, though I'm not sold on his athleticism.

Nah, I think we need more centers... give us all the centers... Filip Petrusev will fill out our rotation perfectly.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#72 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:41 am

stitches wrote:
Catchall wrote:So Mathurin is going to back to Arizona. I think the Jazz should be taking a serious look at Roko Prkacin and Isaiah Todd. Both have size, athleticism and some interesting skills. Todd has real shooting touch, while Prkacin has more handle, driving, passing and overall toughness.

Nah, I think we need more centers... give us all the centers... Filip Petrusev will fill out our rotation perfectly.

You spelled Jay Huff wrong

JColl
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#73 » by goober » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Looks like Josh Giddey is really rising on draft boards, I hope that isn't the case. Joe Ingles would be an awesome mentor for him
Catchall
RealGM

Post#74 » by Catchall » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 am

goober wrote:Looks like Josh Giddey is really rising on draft boards, I hope that isn't the case. Joe Ingles would be an awesome mentor for him

Yeah, Giddey is getting looks in the lottery.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#75 » by Catchall » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:11 am

For as much talk as there's been about Franz Wagner, I think Roko is as good a prospect.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#76 » by Catchall » Sat May 1, 2021 10:38 pm

Tre Mann is interesting.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#77 » by stitches » Wed May 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Catchall wrote:Tre Mann is interesting.

He looks a bit... Anfernee Simons-ish... which is a good thing in my books if you are drafting in the late 20s or 30. What's the knock on him and why is he projected there and not earlier? His stats look pretty good, his highlights look like he can do some modern NBA-type of stuff...
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#78 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:50 pm

Catchall wrote:Tre Mann is interesting.

I think he is going to rise to lottery or near lottery status. My only concern with him is speed, he seems really slow on the court and struggles to turn the corner - but (a) it could be that he is just really methodical and that makes him seem slow, and (b) turning the corner on the college court is hard. Vrenz Bleijenbergh is the guy I'm keying in on more and more with our pick. There may be a couple of guys I like more available at that spot, but if there ever were a guy that could develop into Joe's role, it is him.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#79 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 am

Trey Murphy looks interesting. Release is a bit slow but in Utah's ball-movement heavy system he'd get some open ones, and he's absolutely deadly on C+S jumpers. Or I should say, his release is actually fast but he gathers the ball and dips before he does it - if he can work that out of his game he'd be pretty deadly. Plus defender, too. Honestly he seems like a really solid bet at the end of the first.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#80 » by Catchall » Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 pm

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz