ImageImageImageImage

2021 offseason Cap Space?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

2021 offseason Cap Space? 

Post#1 » by MasterGMer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:28 am

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ORL.html

Based on reference, Magic has 100M committed next season without the upcoming 2 first round rookies.

I know the salary cap is going to increase a little. But can Magic create more cap room by trading away guaranteed contracts?

I think I have seen a tweet somewhere saying we could have as many as 20M in cap space, but I do not know how they did the math.

So my question as a Magic fan: Can we create more cap room to become a player in the 2021 Free Agent market?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,904

Re: 2021 offseason Cap Space? 

Post#2 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 am

MasterGMer wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ORL.html

Based on reference, Magic has 100M committed next season without the upcoming 2 first round rookies.

I know the salary cap is going to increase a little. But can Magic create more cap room by trading away guaranteed contracts?

I think I have seen a tweet somewhere saying we could have as many as 20M in cap space, but I do not know how they did the math.

So my question as a Magic fan: Can we create more cap room to become a player in the 2021 Free Agent market?

Without trades? No.

The cap is projected to be $112.4M next season.

The Magic have 10 players with guaranteed contracts for next season that come out to 93.7M. Throw in the two lotto picks and that's gonna be another 12M roughly, bringing them to roughly 105.7M. That would leave them with only about 6-7M in cap space heading into free agency.

Now...

I do think if they were so inclined the Magic could easily find a taker for Terrence Ross and the 12.5M he's owed next season without taking back much (if any) salary.

If they did that, combined with the roughly 6.5M in cap space they'd have, the would then have closer to 20M in space.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#3 » by MasterGMer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 am

Knightro wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ORL.html

Without trades? No.

The cap is projected to be $112.4M next season.

The Magic have 10 players with guaranteed contracts for next season that come out to 93.7M. Throw in the two lotto picks and that's gonna be another 12M roughly, bringing them to roughly 105.7M. That would leave them with only about 6-7M in cap space heading into free agency.

Now...

I do think if they were so inclined the Magic could easily find a taker for Terrence Ross and the 12.5M he's owed next season without taking back much (if any) salary.

If they did that, combined with the roughly 6.5M in cap space they'd have, the would then have closer to 20M in space.

Can we do that? Make a trade without taking any salary back? I thought we had the Boston Celtics Trade exception. But that is the opposite, right?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#4 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:54 am

MasterGMer wrote:Can we do that? Make a trade without taking any salary back? I thought we had the Boston Celtics Trade exception. But that is the opposite, right?

Perfectly legal provided the team the Magic are trading Ross to has sufficient cap space to absorb his 12.5M salary.

At least half the league should have at least 12.5M in cap space. Now not all of them would necessarily be interested in trading for Ross, but it's certainly something I think the Magic could pull off if they wanted to.

And as you said, the Magic also have a 17.5M TPE from the Fournier deal that they can use to acquire a player as well.

That is something that I would definitely be looking at hard this summer if I was the Magic. Find a team who really wants to open up cap space for this summer and take a player off their hands making somewhere in the 10-17M range exchange for a future 1st in 2022 or later.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#5 » by MasterGMer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:59 am

Knightro wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Can we do that? Make a trade without taking any salary back? I thought we had the Boston Celtics Trade exception. But that is the opposite, right?

Perfectly legal provided the team the Magic are trading Ross to has sufficient cap space to absorb his 12.5M salary.

At least half the league should have at least 12.5M in cap space. Now not all of them would necessarily be interested in trading for Ross, but it's certainly something I think the Magic could pull off if they wanted to.

And as you said, the Magic also have a 17.5M TPE from the Fournier deal that they can use to acquire a player as well.

That is something that I would definitely be looking at hard this summer if I was the Magic. Find a team who really wants to open up cap space for this summer and take a player off their hands making somewhere in the 10-17M range exchange for a future 1st in 2022 or later.

Who is the biggest fish in 2021 Free Agent market that is possible for the Magic? Oubre?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#6 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:34 am

MasterGMer wrote:Who is the biggest fish in 2021 Free Agent market that is possible for the Magic? Oubre?

I really don't think they're going to make a move for 2021. It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

But 2022? When Gary Harris and MCW both come off the books, they could have some real cap space to play with.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#7 » by cedric76 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:37 am

The goal is summer 22
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#8 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:43 am

I like spotrac better to see all the the cap holds. We actually have 3 traded player exceptions. Says we have 16m of practical space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/cap/2021/

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#9 » by drsd » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Knightro wrote:

Also a team might have a TPE that can be traded for ROss; this is how Orlando traded out Fournier without taking any salary back.

That also generated a TPE for Orlando allowing the team to go over the cap in this instance; I do think the Magic will let Fournier's TPE expire though.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Who is the biggest fish in 2021 Free Agent market that is possible for the Magic? Oubre?

Depends on what salary line Orlando would offer. Conley for the max would certainly get him in Magic blue, as an absurd example.

The answers could be DeRozan, Orlando's Porter Jr., Oladipo, Hardaway Jr., Schröder, or Oubre Jr.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm

I doubt they trade Ross.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#12 » by MasterGMer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:36 am

What is the biggest need for the team after current season? A ball dominate wing and scorer? Cade and Green fit the bill. And? Can we fulfill that thru Free Agency? I am exited for next season already
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,485

Post#13 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:30 am

If and when they're ready to spend (I don't think it's this summer), it'd have to be like the draft...we're so bad, it's BPA. If Isaac's healthy, he's the only one I'd slot in as solid, at this point.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#14 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 2, 2021 3:18 am

BasketballInsiders.com says we could have up to 31 Million in Cap Space this summer. That is intriguing.

But there is no many good Free Agents this summer. So Sigh again. Let's pray for the Ping Pong balls

Return to Orlando Magic