ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#101 » by Psubs » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:24 pm

What about drafting, Franz Wagner, signing Daniel Theis! SHIZER!!!! Maybe give Mo Wagner a camp invite?

Being 29, I'd give him a 4 year deal (4th year team option). Maybe more than the MLE but less than $14 million. I think $12 million works.

PG FVV - Flynn - Bembry?
SG Trent - Watson - Harris
SF OG - Yuta/Wagner
PF Siakam - Boucher - MoW
C Theis - Birch/Gillespie
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#102 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
douggood wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:While its not the sexiest suggestion;
If we are looking to round out the back-end of the roster next season I have liked what I have seen from Garrison Mathews in bursts.

Feisty defender and can hit a three;
Everything we hoped Matt Thomas may be?

he is on a 2 way with washington, they will convert him to regular contract with a team option pretty soon, just like yuta.

This is what I was wondering. Do the Wizards have an option over Matthews, or can any team with cap space swoop in and grab him for more money?

Before today I was actually afraid that if Freddie G. played well against the Knicks, they might sign him with their cap space after his second 10-day expired. Not gonna happen now.

I wouldn't worry about Freddie. The Knicks just signed Norvel Pelle to a multi-year deal so I don't think they will want to spend their money on an undrafted rookie.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#103 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Psubs wrote:What about drafting, Franz Wagner, signing Daniel Theis! SHIZER!!!! Maybe give Mo Wagner a camp invite?

Being 29, I'd give him a 4 year deal (4th year team option). Maybe more than the MLE but less than $14 million. I think $12 million works.

PG FVV - Flynn - Bembry?
SF OG - Yuta/Wagner

I don't think Theis is the missing piece as he hasn't done much for Chicago and Boston just let him go. Although I am pretty sure if we follow your plan with having three Germans would lead to Jack using a German accent through out the broadcast so there might be entertainment value in that.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#104 » by Spida888 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:52 pm

I like Theis if we can get him for 8-10M, but don't want to go over that.

I wonder if we'll struggle against teams with bigger centers if all Cs would be under 6"10. I know they all have big wingspans, but our Cs may be more suitable for small ball.

I guess we can see how Birch/Gillespie fares against Jarrett Allen tonight, and in upcoming games against DEN/LAL. Too bad we don't have another Philly game, would have liked to see if we execute well with Birch/Gillespie without using a big body like Baynes.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#105 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:07 pm

Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:What about drafting, Franz Wagner, signing Daniel Theis! SHIZER!!!! Maybe give Mo Wagner a camp invite?

PG FVV - Flynn - Bembry?
SF OG - Yuta/Wagner

I don't think Theis is the missing piece as he hasn't done much for Chicago and Boston just let him go. Although I am pretty sure if we follow your plan with having three Germans would lead to Jack using a German accent through out the broadcast so there might be entertainment value in that.

Celtics traded Theis because they wanted to get under the tax for the season - given they weren't going anywhere anyway.

If one of the Germans blocked a shot, would Jack break out the Mutombo accent, or go with a German one?
"Bring den Müll hier raus!" Or, if he wanted to push the censorship envelope - "Bring den scheiss hier raus!"
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#106 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:49 pm

Dalek wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
douggood wrote:he is on a 2 way with washington, they will convert him to regular contract with a team option pretty soon, just like yuta.

This is what I was wondering. Do the Wizards have an option over Matthews, or can any team with cap space swoop in and grab him for more money?

Before today I was actually afraid that if Freddie G. played well against the Knicks, they might sign him with their cap space after his second 10-day expired. Not gonna happen now.

I wouldn't worry about Freddie. The Knicks just signed Norvel Pelle to a multi-year deal so I don't think they will want to spend their money on an undrafted rookie.

That shows they are leaning to winning now. If the Raptors wanted to win should've went after Dedmon.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#107 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:52 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

PG FVV - Flynn - Bembry?
SF OG - Yuta/Wagner

Celtics traded Theis because they wanted to get under the tax for the season - given they weren't going anywhere anyway.

If one of the Germans blocked a shot, would Jack break out the Mutombo accent, or go with a German one?
"Bring den Müll hier raus!" Or, if he wanted to push the censorship envelope - "Bring den scheiss hier raus!"

You are right that Boston wanted to get under the tax by moving Theis. If the assumption is correct in that Theis commands $10-$12 in free agency, I would pass. I just don't see a point in getting a guy that is 6'8" and doesn't even average 5 boards over his career to play C. I'd rather develop Gillespie and Birch for $9m combined as they will be much more productive.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#108 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 am

Bulls fan in peace, I have a quick question. What kind of package would it take to entice the FO to part with Fred Vanvleet?
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,658

Post#109 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:18 am

MalagaBulls wrote:Bulls fan in peace, I have a quick question. What kind of package would it take to entice the FO to part with Fred Vanvleet?

Don’t really like your young players outside of Pat Williams. It’d be tough for you because he’s probably our only pg if Kyle is gone and Flynn isn’t ready to start. It’d take a lot for us to trade him away at this point given his age and we just signed him.

I’m assuming the Bulls would offer something with some combo of Markkenen/Young/Sato plus a pick. Don’t think it’s enough unless it’s this years and you want to trade FVV for a top 4 pick and salary filler. If so I’d do it but I doubt the Bulls pass on one of the top 4 for Fred (although they could believe Fred is more useful given Zach and Pat manning the 2/3 and most of the top 4 being shooting guards/wings outside of Cade and Mobley who the Bulls should take given the opportunity)
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:38 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:Bulls fan in peace, I have a quick question. What kind of package would it take to entice the FO to part with Fred Vanvleet?

Don’t really like your young players outside of Pat Williams. It’d be tough for you because he’s probably our only pg if Kyle is gone and Flynn isn’t ready to start. It’d take a lot for us to trade him away at this point given his age and we just signed him.

I’m assuming the Bulls would offer something with some combo of Markkenen/Young/Sato plus a pick. Don’t think it’s enough unless it’s this years and you want to trade FVV for a top 4 pick and salary filler. If so I’d do it but I doubt the Bulls pass on one of the top 4 for Fred (although they could believe Fred is more useful given Zach and Pat manning the 2/3 and most of the top 4 being shooting guards/wings outside of Cade and Mobley who the Bulls should take given the opportunity)

Thanks for the reply. I get wanting a nice little haul for FVV. He is a really good defender on a decent contract for another 2 years after this season. I understand everyone wanting PWill as the main piece for a player of quality on a value contract.
But more to the point, how has FVV´s pesky defense been on the perimeter this year? Has he been good at guarding 2´s & 3´s who are larger?
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,658

Post#111 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I get wanting a nice little haul for FVV. He is a really good defender on a decent contract for another 2 years after this season. I understand everyone wanting PWill as the main piece for a player of quality on a value contract.
But more to the point, how has FVV´s pesky defense been on the perimeter this year? Has he been good at guarding 2´s & 3´s who are larger?

Still the same pesky defender. Leads the league in deflections, great on ball stealer and great at trapping guys. Comfortable switching onto bigger guards and not giving up on the play. Seen him strip Embiid who has tried posting him up a couple times lol

With Zach he won’t shoot as much so he’d be a lot more efficient but again, I don’t see what you guys have to offer us because you already traded Carter and your protected pick. The guys you have to offer are in positions we have filled or don’t fill a need for us
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Don’t really like your young players outside of Pat Williams. It’d be tough for you because he’s probably our only pg if Kyle is gone and Flynn isn’t ready to start. It’d take a lot for us to trade him away at this point given his age and we just signed him.

Still the same pesky defender. Leads the league in deflections, great on ball stealer and great at trapping guys. Comfortable switching onto bigger guards and not giving up on the play. Seen him strip Embiid who has tried posting him up a couple times lol

With Zach he won’t shoot as much so he’d be a lot more efficient but again, I don’t see what you guys have to offer us because you already traded Carter and your protected pick. The guys you have to offer are in positions we have filled or don’t fill a need for us

Well, that could be negotiable. We have 2 or 3 players we can trade on draft night for an FRP like Thad. The Knicks wanted him bad enough to supposedly offer an FRP+ if it was just picks & filler. Alternatively I would think about offering you guys PWill and filler to make the money work. I am sure Webster and Ujiri would think about that. PWill has a very good ceiling but he has been invisible & passive because he got thrown into the deep end too early. He oozes tools and upside but it will take another 1-2 years to unlock it.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#113 » by Bruin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

Well, that could be negotiable. We have 2 or 3 players we can trade on draft night for an FRP like Thad. The Knicks wanted him bad enough to supposedly offer an FRP+ if it was just picks & filler. Alternatively I would think about offering you guys PWill and filler to make the money work. I am sure Webster and Ujiri would think about that. PWill has a very good ceiling but he has been invisible & passive because he got thrown into the deep end too early. He oozes tools and upside but it will take another 1-2 years to unlock it.

Bulls would be crazy to trade PWill for anyone that’s not a sure fire all star imo. He has future star written all over him. Looks like a young Kawhi
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:54 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

Bulls would be crazy to trade PWill for anyone that’s not a sure fire all star imo. He has future star written all over him. Looks like a young Kawhi

But would you guys do that trade if it was on the table?

PWill plus expirings to match salaries for FVV?
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#115 » by Bruin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:59 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

If it were on the table, yes absolutely
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#116 » by KL78192020 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:40 am

I'd do a sign and trade for Lauri. Raptors just need to sign Lowry back at the end the madness of a midget backcourt. How is Lauris defense?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#117 » by douggood » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:33 am

KL78192020 wrote:

I'd do a sign and trade for Lauri. Raptors just need to sign Lowry back at the end the madness of a midget backcourt. How is Lauris defense?

non existent
he is essentially a 7 ft sg who is too slow to guard smaller players, to weak and uncoordinated to guard bigger players or play help defense.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#118 » by bluerap23 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

I would definitely consider a trade of FVV for PWill and FVV is my fav Raptor. Many on this board are considering a bit of a longer rebuild (trading Fred and Pascal for younger players and building around Flynn, Trent and OG). I have not been in that camp, but I would definitely consider it if Pwill was on the table. Have you been underwhelmed by him? I haven't watched the bulls that much but he looks legit.

Fred is an excellent PG defender and an excellent help defender. He would be really good next to Lavine at both ends.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Bulls would be crazy to trade PWill for anyone that’s not a sure fire all star imo. He has future star written all over him. Looks like a young Kawhi

I would definitely consider a trade of FVV for PWill and FVV is my fav Raptor. Many on this board are considering a bit of a longer rebuild (trading Fred and Pascal for younger players and building around Flynn, Trent and OG). I have not been in that camp, but I would definitely consider it if Pwill was on the table. Have you been underwhelmed by him? I haven't watched the bulls that much but he looks legit.

Fred is an excellent PG defender and an excellent help defender. He would be really good next to Lavine at both ends.
He has hit a rookie wall and has been in single digits since the TDL. The huge glaring issue is that PWill is so raw (albeit oozing with tantalizing tools/potential) that he got thrown into the deep end way too early. Porter was supposed to be our 3 for years to come and PWill could have been stashed on the 2nd unit to grow & simmer slowly while bum slaying other scrub 3's.
Father time dealt Porter and our future a deadly blow and he become a liability this season thrusting PWill into the forced deathmarch of starting a year too early. He is way too passive and our motion offense has been sacrificed to become a half court set revolving around P&R/P&P for Vooch.
So now we are in a desperate "Win now" mode with Vooch & Zach and we need a 1 like FVV desperately.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pm

douggood wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

non existent
he is essentially a 7 ft sg who is too slow to guard smaller players, to weak and uncoordinated to guard bigger players or play help defense.

I have to agree with this assesment. We are playing a drop defense where the 5 & on occasion the 4 drops to pick up the P&R initiator. Lauri hasn't been great at either on ball or team help defense. He hasn't improved much on offense and we are debating what is more likely, to sign & trade him or let him walk. I am unsure but I would try a S&T before rolling with letting him go. Theis as a 4 provides a much better pairing with Vooch and is easily a much better rim protector/rebounder than Lauri. He would be my priority signing over Lauri.
Lauri's problem is that he was drafted by a very dysfunctional FO who were terrible at drafting and hired/fired 2 terrible coaches during Lauri's first 3 years. His development was stymied by his insistence to train overseas and poor development by said clown coaches. So now you have a new FO/coach who are trying to sweep out that stench of Garpax and they traded away 40% of the roster and made it "Win Now" which has failed for this season at least.

Return to Toronto Raptors