ImageImageImage

It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

poopship
Junior
And1: 607

Re: It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread 

Post#1881 » by poopship » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Ernest wrote:
poopship wrote:
Ernest wrote:The Smart hate is bonkers. He's the only guy consistantly getting the ball into the paint. Too many times we don't get past the 3 point line until there is like 3 seconds left in the clock. Smart puts his head down and gets close to the basket. You'd think he wouldn't be able to make the passes out of that but he does. We don't have a Rondo or Stockton type player that is a traditional 1 looking to set people up all the time, but Smart is the closets to that we have.

He's 4th on the team in drives per game.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/drives/?sort=DRIVES&dir=1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

Yeah but he's got to be first in assists right? Just watch the games, no one else is really looking to drive and kick it.

That was what I thought too (maybe his drives are louder, hah) but out of that top 4, Kemba has a higher Pass% and Assist% on drives.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1882 » by Ernest » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:46 pm

poopship wrote:
Ernest wrote:

Yeah but he's got to be first in assists right? Just watch the games, no one else is really looking to drive and kick it.

That was what I thought too (maybe his drives are louder, hah) but out of that top 4, Kemba has a higher Pass% and Assist% on drives.

Well, when something is going wrong, like the ball not going into the paint for a bunch of plays in a row, Smart is the one to fix the problem. There really isn't a stat for that. In a real traditional offense Smart is the better distributer/ floor general and Kemba is the better scoring threat.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#1883 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:39 pm

Smart is a good passer who doesn’t do it enough and has a terrible shot selection.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,098

Post#1884 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:57 pm

You guys beat Jordan in the playoffs but Jordan beat yall in the trades hmm interesting.....
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#1885 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:52 am

If you trade Smart to OKC for Tony Bradley, the Thunder are -9 wins after getting Smart.

According to Disney/ESPN.

If you trade Smart and J Brown to Cleveland, and only get a body called Kevin Love, the Cavs are -12 wins.

Either Disney has a broken computer, or players the Celtics think are good are actually not good.

The only trades the Celtics are really interested in doing are ones that save the owner a few dollars.

That is not good.

Boston's mindset:

Not trading, we have "assets".

The result is a horrible team of mediocrity that nobody likes.

Trade, nearly, everyone.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#1886 » by Ernest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:Smart is a good passer who doesn’t do it enough and has a terrible shot selection.

I don't think you watch the games.

I guess if you only look at the box scores you can say, "well this guy should have passed to that guy more" But watching the games it seems to me that every time Smart gets the ball and there in a lot of time left on the clock he is looking to pass. Example: Any time he gets an open look at a 3 and there is another open player for a 3 next to him he passes it every time.

When we first got Smart, his rookie year the team sucked. Somehow he got the idea that he better score. So he shot a lot. He missed a lot and it really doesn't matter because that team sucked. What I don't understand is how anyone could still have that idea if they are actually watching the games. Which is why I think you are not. Not just you. I think the Smart bashers are either not watching the games or don't know how to really watch a game.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#1887 » by BK_2020 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:If you trade Smart to OKC for Tony Bradley, the Thunder are -9 wins after getting Smart.

According to Disney/ESPN.

If you trade Smart and J Brown to Cleveland, and only get a body called Kevin Love, the Cavs are -12 wins.

Either Disney has a broken computer, or players the Celtics think are good are actually not good.

If you trade Tatum to OKC for Tony Bradley, the Thunder are -8 wins after getting Tatum.

If you trade Lebron for Kevin Love + Cedi Osman, the Cavs are -12 after getting Lebron.

According to Disney/ESPN
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#1888 » by reload141 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262397/Josh-Giddey-Declares-For-2021-NBA-Draft

It all makes sense now.

We are purposely punting the season to draft Josh Giddey so I can be happy again that we have an Australian on the team.

Ainge playing 5D Chess while we all complain and whinge about being bad this year.

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1889 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Keepers
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Pritchard
Timelord (although with all the injuries I am looking hard for a replacement)
Parker
Kornet

That is it.
All the assets that this team had just 2 seasons ago has netted just 2 players worth keeping.
A backup PG and an oft injured center. And a bench PF and a deep bench center grabbed essentially off waivers.

Kemba
Romeo
Nesmith
Grant
Fournier
Semi
Thompson

74 million in salary for players that shouldnt be on the team.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#1890 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:24 pm

reload141 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262397/Josh-Giddey-Declares-For-2021-NBA-Draft

It all makes sense now.

We are purposely punting the season to draft Josh Giddey so I can be happy again that we have an Australian on the team.

Ainge playing 5D Chess while we all complain and whinge about being bad this year.

I actually like this kid
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1891 » by ddb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 pm

this offseason one of the moves that needs to happen is Pels S&T Lonzo Ball to the Celtics for Smart/Thompson. Here's why.

#1: Tatum/Brown/Walker are all scorers. None of them are natural at creating for others, nor do we really want them as primary facilitators.

#2: Smart is expiring after next season and will command a pay raise. Is his style & contributions worth 20+ million?

#3: Thompson at 9 million isn't very appealing for a team that may not even get out of the first round this season. Unloading that contract is a better move.

Lonzo will be in the 20-25million range as RFA. S&T Smart/Thompson for Ball. Ball gives Boston an elite passer and facilitator who is also big enough and versatile enough to play with Kemba. so in turn it solves the Kemba problem too...Ball is the better passer, shooter, scorer, younger, more athletic, bigger than Smart. Smart is the heart & soul of the Celtics...I'm not denying that....but at over 20 million per year that could get ugly real fast. I would say it's time to move on from Marcus, not at the fault of Marcus, but because logistically it just makes sense...Celtics desperately need that elite ball mover...the Rondo type that can make everyone else around him better. I think Lonzo's best days are ahead of him.

Kemba-Ball-Brown-Tatum-Williams is a heck of a lineup. From there Danny needs to improve the bench with a couple veteran guys that fit the modern game....Celts need to see what they have in Langford/Nesmith as well.

so for all the Brown for Beal people out there. Maybe that's what Boston looks to do. But I'm not ready to move on from the JB/JT foundation. Those guys are still getting better...they are frustrated, but a player like Lonzo will make their lives easier. I think from a skill-set perspective their games all compliment each other really well. Same with Pritchard. Lonzo is a Swiss army knife guy that I think would lead to Tatum/Brown taking even bigger steps forward in their development. Also Lonzo to Timelord 3-5 times per game. it would be fun to watch. Lonzo is someone you just put on the basketball court. Can be a big lineup with Lonzo at the 1, Brown/Tatum at the 2/3. Or you can go smaller with Pritch/Langford/Lonzo....all sorts of combinations that would all make much more sense with Lonzo out there. with an improved 3pt shot, a younger brother to push him, and a dad that seems to be more chilled then a few years ago, I'm pretty high on Lonzo right now. I feel like he's flying under the radar. Whoever brings him in is going to get a good player.

on the flip side of things I believe NOLA would do this as well. They have Zion...Ingram. They have some nice pieces. Probably stuck with Bledsoe....doesn't seem like Lonzo wants to be there. They need veteran character guys that will bring toughness and leadership. I think Smart/Thompson would be very appealing to that team as they push to get into the playoff mix out West.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#1892 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:40 pm

ddb wrote:this offseason one of the moves that needs to happen is Pels S&T Lonzo Ball to the Celtics for Smart/Thompson. Here's why.

#1: Tatum/Brown/Walker are all scorers. None of them are natural at creating for others, nor do we really want them as primary facilitators.

#2: Smart is expiring after next season and will command a pay raise. Is his style & contributions worth 20+ million?

#3: Thompson at 9 million isn't very appealing for a team that may not even get out of the first round this season. Unloading that contract is a better move.

Lonzo will be in the 20-25million range as RFA. S&T Smart/Thompson for Ball. Ball gives Boston an elite passer and facilitator who is also big enough and versatile enough to play with Kemba. so in turn it solves the Kemba problem too...Ball is the better passer, shooter, scorer, younger, more athletic, bigger than Smart. Smart is the heart & soul of the Celtics...I'm not denying that....but at over 20 million per year that could get ugly real fast. I would say it's time to move on from Marcus, not at the fault of Marcus, but because logistically it just makes sense...Celtics desperately need that elite ball mover...the Rondo type that can make everyone else around him better. I think Lonzo's best days are ahead of him.

Kemba-Ball-Brown-Tatum-Williams is a heck of a lineup. From there Danny needs to improve the bench with a couple veteran guys that fit the modern game....Celts need to see what they have in Langford/Nesmith as well.

so for all the Brown for Beal people out there. Maybe that's what Boston looks to do. But I'm not ready to move on from the JB/JT foundation. Those guys are still getting better...they are frustrated, but a player like Lonzo will make their lives easier. I think from a skill-set perspective their games all compliment each other really well. Same with Pritchard. Lonzo is a Swiss army knife guy that I think would lead to Tatum/Brown taking even bigger steps forward in their development. Also Lonzo to Timelord 3-5 times per game. it would be fun to watch

Gotta move kemba before smart for me

I strongly believe there will be the chance to run
Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

Next season

We have youth, all our picks, an 11 mill tpe. Deal will happen.

I think trading smart bites team in butt. Riht now he is the only player with heart that impacts the teams hustle
ddb
RealGM

Post#1893 » by ddb » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
ddb wrote:this offseason one of the moves that needs to happen is Pels S&T Lonzo Ball to the Celtics for Smart/Thompson. Here's why.

so for all the Brown for Beal people out there. Maybe that's what Boston looks to do. But I'm not ready to move on from the JB/JT foundation. Those guys are still getting better...they are frustrated, but a player like Lonzo will make their lives easier. I think from a skill-set perspective their games all compliment each other really well. Same with Pritchard. Lonzo is a Swiss army knife guy that I think would lead to Tatum/Brown taking even bigger steps forward in their development. Also Lonzo to Timelord 3-5 times per game. it would be fun to watch

Gotta move kemba before smart for me

I strongly believe there will be the chance to run
Ball
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

Next season

We have youth, all our picks, an 11 mill tpe. Deal will happen.

I think trading smart bites team in butt. Riht now he is the only player with heart that impacts the teams hustle

Sure. I agree that I would prefer Kemba out instead of Smart.....but Kemba doesn't have a market right now. Why does NOLA want him? They won't. there are very few Kemba deals out there unfortunately.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1894 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:22 pm

so for all the Brown for Beal people out there. Maybe that's what Boston looks to do. But I'm not ready to move on from the JB/JT foundation. Those guys are still getting better...they are frustrated, but a player like Lonzo will make their lives easier. I think from a skill-set perspective their games all compliment each other really well. Same with Pritchard. Lonzo is a Swiss army knife guy that I think would lead to Tatum/Brown taking even bigger steps forward in their development. Also Lonzo to Timelord 3-5 times per game. it would be fun to watch. Lonzo is someone you just put on the basketball court. Can be a big lineup with Lonzo at the 1, Brown/Tatum at the 2/3. Or you can go smaller with Pritch/Langford/Lonzo....all sorts of combinations that would all make much more sense with Lonzo out there. with an improved 3pt shot, a younger brother to push him, and a dad that seems to be more chilled then a few years ago, I'm pretty high on Lonzo right now. I feel like he's flying under the radar. Whoever brings him in is going to get a good player.

on the flip side of things I believe NOLA would do this as well. They have Zion...Ingram. They have some nice pieces. Probably stuck with Bledsoe....doesn't seem like Lonzo wants to be there. They need veteran character guys that will bring toughness and leadership. I think Smart/Thompson would be very appealing to that team as they push to get into the playoff mix out West.

I think lonzo will look to go to a place where he can be looked at as a star or #1 or #2....not saying that’s his best role but I think he feels he can lead a team or be a Batman. Clearly he’s excelled in a less is more role this year but I’m guessing klutch and lonzo want him in a large market like New York or Chicago where he can elevate his brand and marketability. Don’t think we are even an option for him or will be.

As far as beal I would do brown for beal and yes, ideally you bring beal here while keeping brown but that’s not happening. I’ve been bullish on beal getting traded this offseason but if the wizards make the playoffs the chance of that happening decrease dramatically imo.

I think that will be enough for him to say hey “this was a crazy covid year but we made the play in or playoffs and let’s see what me and Russ can do next season”. I think he genuinely wants to be successful in Washington but I was banking on them completely **** the bed this season and at one point they were. If he decides to stay through next season It’s not the worst idea ever because then the Celtics can try and unload kemba so we can make a run at beal when he opts out next offseason and keep brown.

I do wonder and I heard windhorst and others say I wonder if beal would take the extension this offseason with a wink wink deal to trade him if he wants to move on. Similar to pg in okc. I think beal gets more money by opting out and re- signing next year tho bc of his 10 year status.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1895 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:

I think lonzo will look to go to a place where he can be looked at as a star or #1 or #2....not saying that’s his best role but I think he feels he can lead a team or be a Batman. Clearly he’s excelled in a less is more role this year but I’m guessing klutch and lonzo want him in a large market like New York or Chicago where he can elevate his brand and marketability. Don’t think we are even an option for him or will be.

As far as beal I would do brown for beal and yes, ideally you bring beal here while keeping brown but that’s not happening. I’ve been bullish on beal getting traded this offseason but if the wizards make the playoffs the chance of that happening decrease dramatically imo.

I think that will be enough for him to say hey “this was a crazy covid year but we made the play in or playoffs and let’s see what me and Russ can do next season”. I think he genuinely wants to be successful in Washington but I was banking on them completely **** the bed this season and at one point they were. If he decides to stay through next season It’s not the worst idea ever because then the Celtics can try and unload kemba so we can make a run at beal when he opts out next offseason and keep brown.

I do wonder and I heard windhorst and others say I wonder if beal would take the extension this offseason with a wink wink deal to trade him if he wants to move on. Similar to pg in okc. I think beal gets more money by opting out and re- signing next year tho bc of his 10 year status.
Except for this thing called the nba and how it won't work. Only way to sign and trade for ball is to let all free agents leave and trade smart and tt at the same time signing nobody but vet min. Even then maybe not. If you use full mle or accept a player in sign and trade you are hard capped at apron. Not to mention ball would be byc and would make most trades impossible as well. Like there may be 0 percent chance a deal could be made even if everyone is involved wanted it too.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1896 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Except for this thing called the nba and how it won't work. Only way to sign and trade for ball is to let all free agents leave and trade smart and tt at the same time signing nobody but vet min. Even then maybe not. If you use full mle or accept a player in sign and trade you are hard capped at apron. Not to mention ball would be byc and would make most trades impossible as well. Like there may be 0 percent chance a deal could be made even if everyone is involved wanted it too.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app

That’s awesome stuff....I never expected it to work. Too many moving parts and don’t think ball wants to be here
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#1897 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:52 pm

I want to get Ball but I want to keep Smart more. Also, don't really want to lose TT. It seems like a huge over pay to me but I could be wrong. What do you expect other teams over the cap to offer in a sign and trade?

A great move for me would be to somehow flip Walker into Ball. Maybe straight up or maybe getting a 3rd team/just 2 deals.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1898 » by ParticleMan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:36 pm

i don't think we need too much of a shakeup. we just need guys to be friggin healthy.

the main goal is to shop kemba. see what we can get. if it's not good value, we suck it up and keep him. it's not like he's a bad player. he's just not worth the money, and doesn't fit well. we need a distributor and defender, not a third wheel on offense.

the second issue is whether to resign Fournier. i'm not a fan tbh, i think we could spend the money elsewhere, particularly if nesmith/romeo project to be pretty good players. both are already much better defenders and more active on the glass. maybe we can sign-and-trade him for another TPE.

the last issue, and is not critical, is decide about smart. do we want to commit to him long-term for 20m per? that is what we're looking at. i just haven't seen that he's going to get any better than he is now. but he's a heart and soul guy, the team plays better when he's around, we saw that this year. tough call.

our main bench is ok, i like TT as a bench guy. but we have to clean up the deep bench. we'll have picks and ainge always has some guys to bring in. i think we'll see a revamped 9-15 next year.
ddb
RealGM

Post#1899 » by ddb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 pm

Ernest wrote:

I want to get Ball but I want to keep Smart more. Also, don't really want to lose TT. It seems like a huge over pay to me but I could be wrong. What do you expect other teams over the cap to offer in a sign and trade?

A great move for me would be to somehow flip Walker into Ball. Maybe straight up or maybe getting a 3rd team/just 2 deals.

Walker situation is going to be tricky. I can't imagine he has much of a market.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1900 » by jmr07019 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 pm

I don’t see Smart getting any 20 mill a year offers. Think he’ll be around 15 and I’m fine paying him that
Show Love Spread Love

Return to Boston Celtics