Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, -Sammy-, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 78,919
And1: 215
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers still plan to pursue Kyle Lowry in free agency via a possible sign-and-trade.


The Toronto Raptors and 76ers held trade talks on Lowry at the deadline but no deal was consummated.


The Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers also tried to trade for Lowry at the deadline. The Heat are the only team of the three in position to possibly sign Lowry outright.

the_process
RealGM
Posts: 20,128
And1: 5,033
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#2 » by the_process » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Seems like something put out there by the Raptors because they are salty they didn't get a deal done at the deadline and they don't want to pay him. Masai still trying to get assets LOL
Monky15
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 398
Joined: Mar 13, 2012

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#3 » by Monky15 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Toronto should of paid it forward. Memphis traded Marc Gasol to a winning situation partially as a thanks for his dedication to the Grizz. I'm sure their fans would of been plenty happy to keep him but wished him the best. Toronto should of done the same to Lowry and kept paying it forward.
Oncloud9
Freshman
Posts: 84
And1: 13
Joined: Nov 28, 2018
       

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#4 » by Oncloud9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Monky15 wrote:Toronto should of paid it forward. Memphis traded Marc Gasol to a winning situation partially as a thanks for his dedication to the Grizz. I'm sure their fans would of been plenty happy to keep him but wished him the best. Toronto should of done the same to Lowry and kept paying it forward.


You make it sound like Memphis traded Marc for warm fuzzies and a bag of hammers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Memphis received Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2nd round pick. Valanciunas is a starting center with a 23.9 PER. Memphis also traded Marc out of the conference to avoid strengthening a conference rival.

Looking at the reported offers for Lowry, there is no one close to a 23.9 PER ranking being offered in return that Memphis got for Marc. Memphis got a starter that currently has the highest PER on the team. The players Philly and Miami reportedly offered were scrub role players who couldn't crack a starting line up for other than injury replacement.

Raps fans would have wished Lowry the best had he been traded, but would have crucified Raps management had they accepted a bag of hammers in return. Denver maybe should have offered Harris, Hampton and the 2025 1st they sent for Gordon to Raps for Lowry. That would be a pay-it-forward move - a win win for both teams.
nedleeds
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,629
And1: 4,770
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Contact:
 

Re: Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#5 » by nedleeds » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Wow his agent is salty. Also Lowry looks like he weighs 300lbs right now.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Monky15
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 398
Joined: Mar 13, 2012

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#6 » by Monky15 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Oncloud9 wrote:
Monky15 wrote:Toronto should of paid it forward. Memphis traded Marc Gasol to a winning situation partially as a thanks for his dedication to the Grizz. I'm sure their fans would of been plenty happy to keep him but wished him the best. Toronto should of done the same to Lowry and kept paying it forward.


You make it sound like Memphis traded Marc for warm fuzzies and a bag of hammers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Memphis received Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2nd round pick. Valanciunas is a starting center with a 23.9 PER. Memphis also traded Marc out of the conference to avoid strengthening a conference rival.

Looking at the reported offers for Lowry, there is no one close to a 23.9 PER ranking being offered in return that Memphis got for Marc. Memphis got a starter that currently has the highest PER on the team. The players Philly and Miami reportedly offered were scrub role players who couldn't crack a starting line up for other than injury replacement.

Raps fans would have wished Lowry the best had he been traded, but would have crucified Raps management had they accepted a bag of hammers in return. Denver maybe should have offered Harris, Hampton and the 2025 1st they sent for Gordon to Raps for Lowry. That would be a pay-it-forward move - a win win for both teams.


Wow, way to cherry pick a stat. Bigs generally have better PER cos of rebounds and higher fg%, Boban has a 21.5 PER quick lets sign him to a max deal. No one is scared of Val who is a solid player but not really suited for todays NBA when it comes to winning rings.

Wright is a bench player they let walk and Miles is out of the league, but hey they got a 2nd and a solid starting C for an All Defensive team quality C who was a franchise hero. It was definitely a sweet heart deal for Gasol. Paying it forward would of been doing Lowry for Horford and a 1st and 2 2nds.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,540
And1: 286
Joined: Nov 25, 2013
 

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#7 » by Temuhjan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:44 pm

I'd rather have a reunion with T.J. McConnell. He has matured significantly since two years ago. And add George Hill as his mentor-cum-back-up.
Raptors Realtor
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,386
And1: 1,116
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#8 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:20 pm

Monky15 wrote:
Oncloud9 wrote:
Monky15 wrote:Toronto should of paid it forward. Memphis traded Marc Gasol to a winning situation partially as a thanks for his dedication to the Grizz. I'm sure their fans would of been plenty happy to keep him but wished him the best. Toronto should of done the same to Lowry and kept paying it forward.


You make it sound like Memphis traded Marc for warm fuzzies and a bag of hammers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Memphis received Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2nd round pick. Valanciunas is a starting center with a 23.9 PER. Memphis also traded Marc out of the conference to avoid strengthening a conference rival.

Looking at the reported offers for Lowry, there is no one close to a 23.9 PER ranking being offered in return that Memphis got for Marc. Memphis got a starter that currently has the highest PER on the team. The players Philly and Miami reportedly offered were scrub role players who couldn't crack a starting line up for other than injury replacement.

Raps fans would have wished Lowry the best had he been traded, but would have crucified Raps management had they accepted a bag of hammers in return. Denver maybe should have offered Harris, Hampton and the 2025 1st they sent for Gordon to Raps for Lowry. That would be a pay-it-forward move - a win win for both teams.


Wow, way to cherry pick a stat. Bigs generally have better PER cos of rebounds and higher fg%, Boban has a 21.5 PER quick lets sign him to a max deal. No one is scared of Val who is a solid player but not really suited for todays NBA when it comes to winning rings.

Wright is a bench player they let walk and Miles is out of the league, but hey they got a 2nd and a solid starting C for an All Defensive team quality C who was a franchise hero. It was definitely a sweet heart deal for Gasol. Paying it forward would of been doing Lowry for Horford and a 1st and 2 2nds.


Lol why the f**k would we have taken on Horford's contract when dealing Lowry... OKC received 2 1sts just for taking him off their hands, but you're suggesting we send you Lowry for one 1st and Horford's albatross contract? We're not in the business of doing favors for other teams.
Par36
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,085
And1: 3,974
Joined: Oct 10, 2015
   

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#9 » by Par36 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 pm

In the meantime they threw away a health Embiid and BS season...

Cheaped your way out of a championship this year..good job?
Monky15
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 398
Joined: Mar 13, 2012

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#10 » by Monky15 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Monky15 wrote:
Oncloud9 wrote:


Lol why the f**k would we have taken on Horford's contract when dealing Lowry... OKC received 2 1sts just for taking him off their hands, but you're suggesting we send you Lowry for one 1st and Horford's albatross contract? We're not in the business of doing favors for other teams.


That was the whole point of my OP. Toronto not paying it forward. They picked up Gasol who was in a similair situation to Lowry is now for expiring's and a 2nd. I'm sure there were other deals out there. J Johnson, THJ, Terry and 2nds for Lowry would have surely been available but Toronto wanted Full Retail.

If the Raptors really gave a s**t about Lowry they would of sent him to any playoff team that was willing to offer a slightly positive deal. Maybe you don't consider Horford a 1st and 2nds as positive but Horford showed in OKC that he still has some left in the tank. Again all Toronto paid for Gasol was role player expiring's and a 2nd and when they had a player in the same position Gasol was in they refused to help get him to a team where he isn't wasting one of his few good seasons left because they wanted Full Retail, screw the player.
Raptors Realtor
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,386
And1: 1,116
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#11 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Monky15 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
Monky15 wrote:


That was the whole point of my OP. Toronto not paying it forward. They picked up Gasol who was in a similair situation to Lowry is now for expiring's and a 2nd. I'm sure there were other deals out there. J Johnson, THJ, Terry and 2nds for Lowry would have surely been available but Toronto wanted Full Retail.

If the Raptors really gave a s**t about Lowry they would of sent him to any playoff team that was willing to offer a slightly positive deal. Maybe you don't consider Horford a 1st and 2nds as positive but Horford showed in OKC that he still has some left in the tank. Again all Toronto paid for Gasol was role player expiring's and a 2nd and when they had a player in the same position Gasol was in they refused to help get him to a team where he isn't wasting one of his few good seasons left because they wanted Full Retail, screw the player.


Horford isn't worth his contract, it's considered a net negative due to both salary amount & length which is why they had to attach 2 1st rounders to move him. Memphis got 2 young assets and a 2nd for Gasol, one of which is their current starting Centre, and he's an above average Center at that averaging 17, 12, 2 with above average fg & ft for a centre... So that wasn't a case of paying it forward, they got a much younger player who could replace Gasol in the starting lineup, which matched up well with their timeline since they were in rebuild mode.
Monky15
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 398
Joined: Mar 13, 2012

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#12 » by Monky15 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Monky15 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:


That was the whole point of my OP. Toronto not paying it forward. They picked up Gasol who was in a similair situation to Lowry is now for expiring's and a 2nd. I'm sure there were other deals out there. J Johnson, THJ, Terry and 2nds for Lowry would have surely been available but Toronto wanted Full Retail.

If the Raptors really gave a s**t about Lowry they would of sent him to any playoff team that was willing to offer a slightly positive deal. Maybe you don't consider Horford a 1st and 2nds as positive but Horford showed in OKC that he still has some left in the tank. Again all Toronto paid for Gasol was role player expiring's and a 2nd and when they had a player in the same position Gasol was in they refused to help get him to a team where he isn't wasting one of his few good seasons left because they wanted Full Retail, screw the player.


Horford isn't worth his contract, it's considered a net negative due to both salary amount & length which is why they had to attach 2 1st rounders to move him. Memphis got 2 young assets and a 2nd for Gasol, one of which is their current starting Centre, and he's an above average Center at that... So that wasn't a case of paying it forward, they got a much younger player who could replace Gasol in the starting lineup, which matched up well with their timeline since they were in rebuild mode.


Since being traded Horford has shown his contract isn't as negative as it appeared, I still said a 1 and 2 2nds. And sure just ignore that there would of been offers of role player expiring's + minor picks/ assets available.

If Toronto was willing to take a package similar to what they gave up for Gasol they would of got it. Yeah Val is a solid young starter but he could of walked. Wright is an empty stats player who they let walk and they haven't got the 2nd yet.
Raptors Realtor
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,386
And1: 1,116
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: 76ers Remain Interested In Pursuing Kyle Lowry In Free Agency 

Post#13 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Monky15 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
Monky15 wrote:
That was the whole point of my OP. Toronto not paying it forward. They picked up Gasol who was in a similair situation to Lowry is now for expiring's and a 2nd. I'm sure there were other deals out there. J Johnson, THJ, Terry and 2nds for Lowry would have surely been available but Toronto wanted Full Retail.

If the Raptors really gave a s**t about Lowry they would of sent him to any playoff team that was willing to offer a slightly positive deal. Maybe you don't consider Horford a 1st and 2nds as positive but Horford showed in OKC that he still has some left in the tank. Again all Toronto paid for Gasol was role player expiring's and a 2nd and when they had a player in the same position Gasol was in they refused to help get him to a team where he isn't wasting one of his few good seasons left because they wanted Full Retail, screw the player.


Horford isn't worth his contract, it's considered a net negative due to both salary amount & length which is why they had to attach 2 1st rounders to move him. Memphis got 2 young assets and a 2nd for Gasol, one of which is their current starting Centre, and he's an above average Center at that... So that wasn't a case of paying it forward, they got a much younger player who could replace Gasol in the starting lineup, which matched up well with their timeline since they were in rebuild mode.


Since being traded Horford has shown his contract isn't as negative as it appeared, I still said a 1 and 2 2nds. And sure just ignore that there would of been offers of role player expiring's + minor picks/ assets available.

If Toronto was willing to take a package similar to what they gave up for Gasol they would of got it. Yeah Val is a solid young starter but he could of walked. Wright is an empty stats player who they let walk and they haven't got the 2nd yet.


Dude, 2nd rounders don't have much value, especially in the 55 overall range, so let's not act like those are assets, and a late 1st for the privilege of swapping Lowry & taking on horford's contract doesn't make much sense for the Raptors. In any event, I was cool with holding onto Lowry if we didn't get a couple young assets back, although he's older, he's still currently an all star level pg who definitely could have helped a contender. I'm fine if he walks for nothing in the offseason, but I would have been pissed if we traded him for scraps, especially to a conference rival.

Return to Wiretap Discussion