ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#1161 » by Dub_Sax » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:39 am

Random thought/question..
Are the magic the worst team in the league at scoring on alley-oops?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#1162 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:31 am

Dub_Sax wrote:Random thought/question..

At least after the trade deadline, we've attempted alleyoops. I never understood why we didn't run a play for an oop to AG every game. We hardly ever did.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1163 » by drsd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am

Gordon was not used in PnR situations to get lobs. And Vučević does not play inside to gain those lobs. So: probably yes.

Now with the young guns, Okeke to Carter is something we will see more of lob wise.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,282

Post#1164 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:

At least after the trade deadline, we've attempted alleyoops. I never understood why we didn't run a play for an oop to AG every game. We hardly ever did.

Because Gordon refused to play like rolling big and always forced himself into ballhandling role. You watch him with denver, and he is marginal starter who gets 25 min a night.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1165 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am

I wonder how good we can be next year, even without taking draft into consideration. Lets say we resigned both Ennis and Porter.

Anthony/Harris/Porter/Isaac/Carter
Fultz/Ross/Ennis/Okeke/Bamba

Maybe i am the biggest of homers but that looks like a playoff team to me..... We add our frp, maybe trade bulls frp and Ross for some upgrade.....
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Orlando_Pride
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#1166 » by Orlando_Pride » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm

I haven't seen any updates on Okeke was there any news on his ankle? This year has made me paranoid just wrap him, Cole, RJ and Wendell in bubble wrap till the beginning of summer league.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#1167 » by KillMonger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm

zaymon wrote:I wonder how good we can be next year, even without taking draft into consideration. Lets say we resigned both Ennis and Porter.

Maybe i am the biggest of homers but that looks like a playoff team to me..... We add our frp, maybe trade bulls frp and Ross for some upgrade.....

yep, right back on the treadmill....8th seed/1st round exit
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,340

Post#1168 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:10 pm

zaymon wrote:I wonder how good we can be next year, even without taking draft into consideration. Lets say we resigned both Ennis and Porter.

There's no chance that team makes the playoffs IMO.

Like not even close.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1169 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 pm

KillMonger wrote:

The treadmill term is used too frivolous. We made playoffs two times, once as a 7 seed and once as a 8 seed- somehow we were called the ultimate treadmill team. We blew the team in half a day and got a lot of assets for it.
If we make the playoffs next year how in the world is that a treadmill ?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1170 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:19 pm

I think they can make the playoffs. We've been tanking with 2/3 of our salaries not even playing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#1171 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Definitely homer talk because that team is bad
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1172 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:11 pm

Orlando_Pride wrote:I haven't seen any updates on Okeke was there any news on his ankle? This year has made me paranoid just wrap him, Cole, RJ and Wendell in bubble wrap till the beginning of summer league.
Sprained. Ruled out of Friday's. Not serious.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#1173 » by thelead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:47 pm

zaymon wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

The treadmill term is used too frivolous. We made playoffs two times, once as a 7 seed and once as a 8 seed- somehow we were called the ultimate treadmill team. We blew the team in half a day and got a lot of assets for it.
If we make the playoffs next year how in the world is that a treadmill ?

Because we just shuffled the chairs on the deck. I think we got good value back for Vuc but we basically got nothing back for Evan and nothing but potential for AG. So, we may be around the same caliber of team because the youth gets better but we lost 3pt shooting (all 3) and defense (AG) in those trades. If we don't land a great player (and I mean future all star great) in the draft, we'll need to hit a homerun in free agency.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1174 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:56 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Definitely homer talk because that team is bad

Propably not, but in the east ?
Harris was a starter on fringe contender and if healthy should enter his prime. Last year his return transformed Nuggets against Jazz.
Porter was starter on home court advantage playoff team as 23 y.o. His prime so far was destroyed by injuries and awful Bulls team.
Isaac was starter on fringe playoff team even before his massive jump in development last year.
Carter started on fringe playoff team in the east despite his young age, bad coaching and injuries.

Yes i know all of them were 3rd options on their teams but they were also so young. We need first option to contend thats for sure, but i would not be suprised if we at least make the play in next year. Health is major concern but if we get lucky for once ? Look what Memphis is doing. I am very interested in our matchup.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#1175 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:17 pm

Honestly, if that lineup has no injury concerns (and that is a BIG IF ) and can play 80-90% of the season then yes, I could see that as a 7/8 seed in the dreadful EAST.

I mean have you seen the other EASTERN teams right now? Specifically the middle to lower PO teams? I swear some of them are ready to tank next year.. but who knows what moves THEY and US will make this offseason.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1176 » by The Effect » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Jeezus, lets not
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#1177 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:

Because Gordon refused to play like rolling big and always forced himself into ballhandling role. You watch him with denver, and he is marginal starter who gets 25 min a night.
He is starter level but a low level starter. He never really had the all-star potential some thought he did.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1178 » by zaymon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:17 am

The Effect wrote:

Jeezus, lets not

I guess it all depends on salary ? In a vacuum what you not like about Ennis as backup wing and Porter as 3rd option ? Health is a concern but we need to take some risks and you factor those risks into salary.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#1179 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:30 am

Knightro wrote:

There's no chance that team makes the playoffs IMO.

Like not even close.

That team on its own, definitely not.

But how much do you think odds improve with the addition of either Cade/Suggs/Green and possibly + more?

I could see that squad above serving as a reliable enough supporting cast for Cade to fight for a play-in spot.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1180 » by drsd » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 am

zaymon wrote:
The Effect wrote:

Jeezus, lets not

I guess it all depends on salary ? In a vacuum what you not like about Ennis as backup wing and Porter as 3rd option ? Health is a concern but we need to take some risks and you factor those risks into salary.

Right now Orlando is assembling for a big FA move in 2022. So there will need to be some small-deal signings.

Ennis might go for an over-pay on a one-year deal. A one-year 5M deal create real income for him and provides puntability on cap-space for Orlando delaying a spend til 2022. That sort of thing.
It is hard to see what Orlando can get out of resigning Porter though.

What Orlando does with Harri next year is a bigger question for me. Is he the future of the SG? That is, is he here to replace Fournier? I guess we need to see how the draft plays out.

Return to Orlando Magic