ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1901 » by badinage » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Pretty surprising that a Black man would even use the word “savage” to describe the moment. Oof.

But as for the moment ... it was definitely nasty. Shockingly nasty. And on one of the best defenders in the game.

Still, as we know, Rui is not a player. And we should not get our hopes up. Yes, he might have just delivered a throttling, out-of-your-seat posterization of The Brow, and gotten his teammates juiced, and made the team look sexy on national TV, but ... we must not be deceived into thinking he is anything good. He looked good. He is not good. There is a difference.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,351

Post#1902 » by doclinkin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 pm

payitforward wrote:"Looking back... savage" -- what a bunch of nonsense! I'd be willing to bet he was looking back to make sure AD was ok!

Professional sports is rich humans playing a game to entertain people. The teams are not at war.

Old guy. Savage in the parlance of the day just means badass. He did a thing that had swagger, cool, toughness. It was not a value judgement that he is an uncouth and violent person.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1903 » by JWizmentality » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 pm

Lol...Say I'm an old white guy without saying I'm an old white guy.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1904 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:"Looking back... savage" -- what a bunch of nonsense! I'd be willing to bet he was looking back to make sure AD was ok!

Professional sports is rich humans playing a game to entertain people. The teams are not at war.

Old guy. Savage in the parlance of the day just means badass. He did a thing that had swagger, cool, toughness. It was not a value judgement that he is an uncouth and violent person.

Pay attention. It wasn't the "thing" that was being characterized as "savage" (or badass, or even as having "had swagger, cool, toughness); it was the look back at Anthony Davis. Which occurred a measurable time/space later (hence "look back" -- you're up to this, tyro) & was, as I said, to make sure AD was ok, I'm pretty sure. Because, as you point out, Rui is not, is far from, "an uncouth and violent person." Which anyway wouldn't come into it -- even if he had been exultant.

It was a nice moment, however, in a nice win.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1905 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:52 pm

lol
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1906 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:28 pm

(doc & I have known each other a long time, glizzy -- going on forever!)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1907 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:37 pm

badinage wrote:Pretty surprising that a Black man would even use the word “savage” to describe the moment. Oof....

Good point... I hadn't thought of that!

badinage wrote:...Still, as we know, Rui is not a player. And we should not get our hopes up. Yes, he might have just delivered a throttling, out-of-your-seat posterization of The Brow, and gotten his teammates juiced, and made the team look sexy on national TV, but ... we must not be deceived into thinking he is anything good. He looked good. He is not good. There is a difference.

Awww, just when you were seeming so perceptive, you go & pick a fight. After a win too! Sad... & no green font either! Not to worry -- I forgive you. You'll probably be better when you try again. After all, that is how we improve isn't it?

More seriously, Rui did look good last night. Of course the dunk was great, but he shot the ball with confidence overall, & he played really good man defense. Moved his feet well. He played big.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1908 » by doclinkin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Pay attention. It wasn't the "thing" that was being characterized as "savage" (or badass, or even as having "had swagger, cool, toughness); it was the look back at Anthony Davis. Which occurred a measurable time/space later (hence "look back" -- you're up to this, tyro) & was, as I said, to make sure AD was ok, I'm pretty sure. Because, as you point out, Rui is not, is far from, "an uncouth and violent person." Which anyway wouldn't come into it -- even if he had been exultant.

It was a nice moment, however, in a nice win.

See jwiz above.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1909 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 pm

He's talking about you, doc.

Btw, what happened to that Euro-style, 3-point shootin', ball movement team you said we were building about ten minutes ago?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#1910 » by Frichuela » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 am

Coach Westbrook on Rui’s case last night. Be tough!
Read on Twitter
?s=21
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1911 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:31 am

no point
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1912 » by JWizmentality » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:11 am

payitforward wrote:He's talking about you, doc.

Btw, what happened to that Euro-style, 3-point shootin', ball movement team you said we were building about ten minutes ago?

Yea no :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1913 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Frichuela wrote:Coach Westbrook on Rui’s case last night. Be tough!
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I love that - but aside from the toughness thing, he was also teaching Rui how to defend - giving him a key pointer - showing him how to fish. How great is that?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1914 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:53 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:He's talking about you, doc.

Ah I see, the 'I know you are, but what am I?" defense, on the 'I am rubber, you are glue" volley tactic. Followed by a weak deflection to a tangent. Brilliant. I can see why you flog yourself as a master debater. I think missed that day in my rhetorics class because I can barely understand these bitter delicious bon mots from the Bhudda's mouth. Here we are at a 2nd grade level, should we devolve further to something in the "also you're a poopyhead" category? Something on the doodoo peepee caca continuum. Is this what happens when you age? I might ask you: Old man, are you proud of years? but then, how useless the remark. Are you sure you want to go down that path?

In answer to your question, since 10 minutes ago was in the offseason before last year, I would say: check the stats, we led the league last year in 3pt gunning. And we still failed. Then pandemic. Wall threw gang signs, Ted swapped him for Russ. We did draft a Euro. He can't play with Russ. Our 3fg gunning Big caught an injury. Brad stopped being able to shoot from outside. Our coach won't play the style of team the GM drafted. Rui is manning up and playing defense, despite your protestations, we are winning with a different and unforeseen style behind an inefficient high usage HOF PG with an unorthodox game but indomitable will to win. In short: doodoo peepee caca happens.

:) There's some in-joke doc-n-me stuff in this post... & it makes me happy: in fact, doc, it makes me happy to know you. Has since early on.

Your last point is right on. Russell Westbrook is a force, an unbelievable force, & it's his team now.

But... where did you run into "Bitter Delicious," I wonder? The book it's part of will come out later this year. I don't remember it being published anywhere, however -- though I know I've read it at one or another event at least a couple of times.

As to Rui, I'm glad to see him assert himself on defense. Oh, & no matter how you accomplish it, it's fun to win! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1915 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Frichuela wrote:Coach Westbrook on Rui’s case last night. Be tough! ...

I love that - but aside from the toughness thing, he was also teaching Rui how to defend - giving him a key pointer - showing him how to fish. How great is that?

You know... I could easily see Westbrook as a coach after he retires. I'm picturing him prowling the sidelines in a suit & tie. You wouldn't want to coach against him, that's for sure!

I suppose it won't happen -- guys like him have simply made too much money to take on a job as hard as coaching. It's the 3d pg on the team who winds up a coach....

But, it would be a lot of fun to watch! :)
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1916 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:07 pm

payitforward wrote: I know I've read it at one or another event at least a couple of times.

Let me know if ever you read in public somewhere near enough to DC. It'd be cool to catch you.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1917 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm

payitforward wrote:I suppose it won't happen -- guys like him have simply made too much money to take on a job as hard as coaching. )

I don't think money is ever going to be the issue for Russ. He would be competitive if he had to pay cash money to play. I think he might not have the patience to deal with fools well though. And might flame out on that respect. Not having patience with nonsense from a GM or from players that don't earn their play time, to say nothing of media press conferences. You think Popovic is bad... Still, his game is maturing in that way and it seems he is reaching out to help young cats. Leadership is in his make-up and he is now developing the maturity to lead from the back as well as by example. The way the alpha wolf is actually not the lead dog but the one who trails behind the pack directing and making sure the last one is not lost.

Still, I can see Ted looking for a role for him here after his playing days are done. Zero doubt he is exactly what Ted was hoping for in trading way the complexity of John Wall. I can see Russ wanting an ownership stake in something though. My impression is that he has a sense of responsibility to do things in the community that go beyond cutting a check to get a tax break. Here in the center of politics, I would not be surprised if some day we heard something like, "welcoming the senator from the state of Washington DC, Russell Westbrook..."
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1918 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 pm

I'd move back to vote for him! :)
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#1919 » by smoothSeph » Tue May 4, 2021 5:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Rui just played his 100th game tonight. We don’t see this sequence of plays from him last year or even earlier this season. Glad to see he’s blossoming into the player we hoped we’d get draft night!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1920 » by nate33 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:27 pm

He still has plenty of weaknesses, particularly with rebounding and finishing around the rim in traffic, but he has an almost unlimited ceiling. He is such a fluid athlete, long, strong and coordinated, and he is reportedly an extremely hard worker. I just think he is going to continue to improve year after year. Maybe that improvement won't be as fast as some wish, but I expect it to continue for years.

Return to Washington Wizards