Balanced Players

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Balanced Players 

Post#1 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 am

I know we just played bottom tiered teams, but I have enjoyed watching Sumner and Brissett. They are useful on both end of the floor. McConnell is the same way, very pesky on defense, and a good general and scorer on the other end. This year, when I watch highlights, I see plenty of baskets going right over Domas and right around Brogdon. Brogdon in particular tends to have ole syndrome where people go right around him. It worries me that our most promising player LeVert is known to have defensive problems. Then you factor in the return of Warren next year. You could say our four best players can't play a wit of defense. Levert, Brogdon, Sabonis, and Warren. Warren looked like the best defender of the four. What should we do about our complete lack of balance? How do we play all these guys together without getting toasted? The whole idea of having Turner cover for a whole team that can't defend has not worked.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman

Re: Balanced Players 

Post#2 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 am

Wanted to give a shout out to Justin Holiday as well. He has been excellent.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm not concerned about LeVert's defense. perhaps his reputation for not defending came playing for a Nets team that didn't care about defending. I don't think we have a problem in the background as we can play any combination of Brogdon, LeVert, Sumner, JHoliday, and TJMc. Lamb is only signed for one more year and I see him as an emergency wing if we can't move his contract.

the weak spot is defending the 4. Brissett shows promise but is probably not ready to be a starter. I think we can draft a 4 but that wouldn't be a starter either.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman

Post#4 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm not concerned about LeVert's defense. perhaps his reputation for not defending came playing for a Nets team that didn't care about defending. I don't think we have a problem in the background as we can play any combination of Brogdon, LeVert, Sumner, JHoliday, and TJMc. Lamb is only signed for one more year and I see him as an emergency wing if we can't move his contract.

the weak spot is defending the 4. Brissett shows promise but is probably not ready to be a starter. I think we can draft a 4 but that wouldn't be a starter either.

Thanks Wizop. It is nice to hear that the LeVert rep might be off. What do you think about Warren returning to the 4 next year? He had a bad rep too on defense, but he did pretty well for Nate M. I'll give Pritchard credit for trying the two bigs for a year to see if it works. I think it is time to move on. I like the LeVert move too. I've liked TJMc on the court with Brogdon and LeVert as wings. Then add Turner and Warren to fill it out. Bring both Holidays, Sumner, Brissett, MCDermitt(who has looked amazing), and Goga off the bench. What do you think the ceiling for a team like that would be?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:I'll give Pritchard credit for trying the two bigs for a year to see if it works. I think it is time to move on. I like the LeVert move too. I've liked TJMc on the court with Brogdon and LeVert as wings. Then add Turner and Warren to fill it out. Bring both Holidays, Sumner, Brissett, MCDermitt(who has looked amazing), and Goga off the bench. What do you think the ceiling for a team like that would be?

I no longer think Sabonis is untouchable but I also do not think he must go. I want to see what the draft gives us and I'm willing to see what we can do with our current core healthy and with a higher than usual first round pick. If we do move Sabonis, I think we'd prefer a quality 4 to a draft pick. But you're asking about next year. I'd be unhappy if we weren't close to 50 wins assuming no long term injuries.

I expect to lose this week to Portland and Brooklyn which will bring the tankers back out. My hope though is we finish high enough to get Philly in round one which could require climbing to 7 or 8 and winning the first play-in game. I don't see us beating Milwaukee or Brooklyn so falling to the lottery would be better than facing one of them in round one.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:50 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacercoltboiler wrote:I'll give Pritchard credit for trying the two bigs for a year to see if it works. I think it is time to move on. I like the LeVert move too. I've liked TJMc on the court with Brogdon and LeVert as wings. Then add Turner and Warren to fill it out. Bring both Holidays, Sumner, Brissett, MCDermitt(who has looked amazing), and Goga off the bench. What do you think the ceiling for a team like that would be?

I no longer think Sabonis is untouchable but I also do not think he must go. I want to see what the draft gives us and I'm willing to see what we can do with our current core healthy and with a higher than usual first round pick. If we do move Sabonis, I think we'd prefer a quality 4 to a draft pick. But you're asking about next year. I'd be unhappy if we weren't close to 50 wins assuming no long term injuries.

I expect to lose this week to Portland and Brooklyn which will bring the tankers back out. My hope though is we finish high enough to get Philly in round one which could require climbing to 7 or 8 and winning the first play-in game. I don't see us beating Milwaukee or Brooklyn so falling to the lottery would be better than facing one of them in round one.

Sorry not happening. Very soon the Pacers will fall to 10th as Washington goes to 9th. The big question is if Chicago will continue sucking and Toronto will keep on tanking to keep the Pacers in 10th place.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Very soon the Pacers will fall to 10th as Washington goes to 9th. The big question is if Chicago will continue sucking and Toronto will keep on tanking to keep the Pacers in 10th place.

There is no serious difference between 9th and 10th. They play each other in the first play in game and the loser of the 7/8 game in game two. Win twice and you are the 8th seed. Lose twice once and you are in the lottery. Granted there can be a small difference if you are both in the lottery.

As for predicting our final place in the standings, too much depends on if and when our bigs can play. Your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Very soon the Pacers will fall to 10th as Washington goes to 9th. The big question is if Chicago will continue sucking and Toronto will keep on tanking to keep the Pacers in 10th place.

There is no serious difference between 9th and 10th. They play each other in the first play in game and the loser of the 7/8 game in game two. Win twice and you are the 8th seed. Lose twice once and you are in the lottery. Granted there can be a small difference if you are both in the lottery.

As for predicting our final place in the standings, too much depends on if and when our bigs can play. Your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my phone.

The 9 seed hosts the play-in against the 10 seed, though the winner would then go on the road to the loser of the 7/8 matchup. That’s the sole difference.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

The 9 seed hosts the play-in against the 10 seed, though the winner would then go on the road to the loser of the 7/8 matchup. That’s the sole difference.

I'd even argue there isn't too much difference being the 7th to 10th seed, except the 10th seed gets much better lottery odds than the 7th seed, if they lose the play in games and go to the lottery
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I'd even argue there isn't too much difference being the 7th to 10th seed, except the 10th seed gets much better lottery odds than the 7th seed, if they lose the play in games and go to the lottery

I mean, 7 or 8 only need to win 1 game to make the playoffs. 9 or 10 need to win two games back to back to make the playoffs. 7 and 9 get to host their first play-in game. 7 or 8 would host the 2nd play-in game. Hosting the games gets the local owner a little extra money from ticket and concession sales. Team’s generally value being in the playoffs than being at the tale end of the lottery. For many teams, they’d rather be in the playoffs and have a chance at advancing than getting a draft pick maybe 1-2 spots earlier?

I get that we’re in the midst of a disappointing season, but there’s clearly advantages to finishing 7 instead of 10. If you’re tanking, and you’re in the play-in’s, you’ve done a terrible job of tanking :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:The 9 seed hosts the play-in against the 10 seed, though the winner would then go on the road to the loser of the 7/8 matchup. That’s the sole difference.

and home court is no longer the big advantage that it was when stadiums were full.

the big difference between 7/8 and 9/10 if they win in the playin is whether you pay the 2 seed or the 1 seed. of the top 3 seeds, I like our chances again Philly better than Milwaukee or Brooklyn.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#12 » by boomershadow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Sumner and Brissett have indeed been bright spots in a down year.

I know it's been a terrible year, and I've been as uninterested in this season as I've been in a long time, but we aren't as out of it as you might think.

We have only got to beat 2 bad teams to get to the playoffs and be where we were last year. A single win in the postseason would be a step up from the last few years. None of that is outside the realm of possibility.

Or a trip to the lottery wouldn't be that bad for the team going forward. It all is what it is.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:44 am

Pacercoltboiler wrote:Very soon the Pacers will fall to 10th as Washington goes to 9th.

I see we play Washington twice next week. If either team sweeps, they should finish ahead.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Washington will sweep. They're on a mission lately and charging into the playoffs. Won 9 of the last 10 and 11 of the last 13.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#15 » by Pacersike » Sun May 2, 2021 9:07 am

Balance is huge! Good contribution :) .

Return to Indiana Pacers