Image ImageImage Image

OT: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Re: OT: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident 

Post#61 » by Chi town » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:05 am

DuckIII wrote:
Chi town wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
I wish. I’ve only been able to worm my way onto Bellerive twice in my whole life. Plenty of solid public courses down here though.

Duck how’d you get your boys into golf? I’ve got a 12 and 10 year old. We play together and hit the range but neither of them are asking me to play. I asked my Dad all the time when I was a kid.

So, I have three sons ages 17, 13 and 10. I introduced all of them to golf at about the age 7-8. From there three paths branch out that are all very different. This is not surprising to me as in my experience with kids and golf they fall into extremes. I coach middle school golf and give lessons to kids (introductory lessons, beyond a certain point I refer them to "real" golf instructors). They either love it, or don't find it very interesting.

Oldest Son: I got him started at age 7. He liked it okay and we played and practiced some, nothing real serious, until he was 10. One day on the range he told me liked golf okay, preferred his other sports, and just wanted to play for fun. Didn't want me to really "coach" him on how to play. So that was that. His life, his interests, so he focused on basketball, football and baseball.

Fast forward to 2020 and the year of COVID. In May he anticipated there would be no football in the fall, so he decided he would try out for the golf team. He was a pretty lousy golfer at the time, played maybe twice a year, and was only going to go out for the team to socialize and scratch his competitive itch. But he took it seriously and started playing 3-4 days a week with friends and when they didn't want to play that much he started playing on his own. He ended up finding out that he loves it, and now plays regularly. He made the team, and over the course of about 5 months went from shooting 120-something to low 90s/high 80s (our home course is par 72 but pretty easy).

Youngest Son: Introduced him to golf at age 7, and he could not have cared less. He goes out with me and his brothers sometimes and will hit a few shots, but otherwise just likes goofing around and being in the golf cart. This year he told me wants to try to practice it for real to get better, but that he has no interest in doing it competitively. He's all about football.

Middle Son: Introduced him to it at age 6 and from the minute he started hitting balls he could not get enough of it. Played in his first tournament at age 7, by age 8 was playing 5-6 tournaments and now plays in a dozen or so a year plus IESA school golf as a 7th grader. Its his favorite sport, he plays all the time, and he's very good. I think he'll be better than me by the time he's 15 or even before.

3 boys, same father, introduced to the sport at the same age, in the same circumstances, and three completely different reactions and degrees of interest. They all know I'm an avid golfer and love golf. They all know I would love them to love golf as well. But I never forced it on any of them or expressed disappointment in the two that had lesser interest. I see the same thing with other junior golfers as well.

I'm sure there are ways to more coercively get a kid to like a particular sport (start them much younger so they don't know anything else, use a heavier reward/inducement style, etc.), but ultimately they are going to like it or they won't. And that is especially true with golf because unlike so many other youth sports, its not really a "I get to hang out with all my friends" type of deal. Its much more solitary. So if they don't really just love something about the game itself, there aren't many collateral things that will bind them to it.

Thanks for the details!

My sons are 12 and 10. Both were playing basketball and loved it pre Covid. Golf was more of a fun time w Dad to hit balls, drive carts, and eat snacks. Both are naturally talented and can hit well and even have touch around the greens. I know they’d both be good if they got bit by the bug.

Here’s my first world dilemma...

I’ve been invited to a charity tourney at Pinehurst. Two rounds two man best shot. I’ve played there before w my Dad and friends for a guys trip. I’m thinking of bringing him for some father son time.

He’s also a Gaming YouTuber w a growing following on Fortnite. Epic Games (Fortnite) HQ is about an hour away. It’s always been a dream for him to go there for a tour. I have a hookup to make it happen.

I see this as a golden opportunity to have some time w him and hope he catches the golf bug while also spending a day at Epic Games. Feels like a win win.

Can also see this blowing up in my face and him eng totally checked out for 36 holes of golf and hating the game forever :))).

I’ve invited him and he’s pumped to go. He’s made it clear he’s game and wants to practice every week and play before we go. If he struggles I’m totally ok w him playing as much or little as he wants. Him just driving the cart is fine. No expectations. He’s really competitive and there will be plenty of longest putt/closest to pin stuff to keep him engaged... I hope.

We shall see. Anyone with any advice?
I didn’t play Pinehurst till I was 32. Also feels in some odd way to feel not right that he doesn’t even understand the opp he is getting... may be he will when he’s there.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#62 » by DuckIII » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:23 am

I think it sounds like a great trip for your son regardless of how it impacts his future interest in golf.

My only advice on the golf part is expose them to it, encourage it, make it as fun as possible, and see what happens.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#63 » by Chi town » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 am

DuckIII wrote:I think it sounds like a great trip for your son regardless of how it impacts his future interest in golf.

My only advice on the golf part is expose them to it, encourage it, make it as fun as possible, and see what happens.

Well said. We always have fun. Hope it works out.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#64 » by Dresden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:36 am

DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:
DuckIII wrote:I agree with that doctor’s explanation of the left side of the golf swing, Dresden, except comparatively to the right. It’s not just a “pillar of support.” It is that, but significantly more. It’s a huge part of the active driving force of a modern golf swing. Frankly, the doctor’s explanation of what the right leg does is an antiquated explanation of a high level golf swing by today’s standards. On the right side of the body at least.

Regardless, both sides are important and having a reconstructed leg doing either job is a huge hill to climb at the elite level. Then throw in his back issues, and it looks really bad.

The guy did play on the tour for 4 years, before becoming a surgeon, so I tend to think he knows what he's talking about....

In the 1970s. Swing philosophy and technique has changed dramatically since then, including in just the last 10 or so years.

He obviously knows what he's talking about. I don't disagree with most of what he said. I am self taught, continue to teach myself, coach my kid, coach a school team, and give youth lessons. I keep up on these things. And his notion that the right leg is a less critical "support pillar" for a right handed golfer just isn't accurate by modern standards which focus far more on power loading than they used to. No one teaches Nick Faldo's swing anymore. Standards I didn't invent, but that are based on what is being taught by the best teaching pros in the world and that are being used on tour. These aren't my ideas. I'm just aware of what is out there.

And you think that this guy, who is an orthopedic surgeon, and who once played golf professionally, doesn't understand how the golf swing has changed, and is mistaken in his opinion on Tiger Woods being fortunate to have mangled his right leg and not his left? Ok.

And he's not the only ortho surgeon who has commented on Woods' injury, and the fact that recovering from a right leg injury will be a bit easier than if it had been his left.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by DuckIII » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:05 pm

Dresden wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:
The guy did play on the tour for 4 years, before becoming a surgeon, so I tend to think he knows what he's talking about....

In the 1970s. Swing philosophy and technique has changed dramatically since then, including in just the last 10 or so years.

He obviously knows what he's talking about. I don't disagree with most of what he said. I am self taught, continue to teach myself, coach my kid, coach a school team, and give youth lessons. I keep up on these things. And his notion that the right leg is a less critical "support pillar" for a right handed golfer just isn't accurate by modern standards which focus far more on power loading than they used to. No one teaches Nick Faldo's swing anymore. Standards I didn't invent, but that are based on what is being taught by the best teaching pros in the world and that are being used on tour. These aren't my ideas. I'm just aware of what is out there.

And you think that this guy, who is an orthopedic surgeon, and who once played golf professionally, doesn't understand how the golf swing has changed, and is mistaken in his opinion on Tiger Woods being fortunate to have mangled his right leg and not his left? Ok.

And he's not the only ortho surgeon who has commented on Woods' injury, and the fact that recovering from a right leg injury will be a bit easier than if it had been his left.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#66 » by dougthonus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Chi town wrote:Thanks for the details!

My sons are 12 and 10. Both were playing basketball and loved it pre Covid. Golf was more of a fun time w Dad to hit balls, drive carts, and eat snacks. Both are naturally talented and can hit well and even have touch around the greens. I know they’d both be good if they got bit by the bug.

I’ve been invited to a charity tourney at Pinehurst. Two rounds two man best shot. I’ve played there before w my Dad and friends for a guys trip. I’m thinking of bringing him for some father son time.

He’s also a Gaming YouTuber w a growing following on Fortnite. Epic Games (Fortnite) HQ is about an hour away. It’s always been a dream for him to go there for a tour. I have a hookup to make it happen.

I see this as a golden opportunity to have some time w him and hope he catches the golf bug while also spending a day at Epic Games. Feels like a win win.

Can also see this blowing up in my face and him eng totally checked out for 36 holes of golf and hating the game forever :))).

I’ve invited him and he’s pumped to go. He’s made it clear he’s game and wants to practice every week and play before we go. If he struggles I’m totally ok w him playing as much or little as he wants. Him just driving the cart is fine. No expectations. He’s really competitive and there will be plenty of longest putt/closest to pin stuff to keep him engaged... I hope.

I didn’t play Pinehurst till I was 32. Also feels in some odd way to feel not right that he doesn’t even understand the opp he is getting... may be he will when he’s there.

My advice is to make the trip as pleasurable for both of you as you can. The key, as you said is no expectations. If he wants to play golf and catches the bug then he will. If he doesn't then he won't. You've done enough to expose him to golf, and he has enough interest to explore it, so he'll either grow more interested or not.

I have two girls and am a software developer. The older one has been interested in computers since she was two years old, and I thought she'd love software development. She had some initial interest and took a few classes in school, and she was good enough that she easily could have done this as a career and for awhile that was her thought.

She eventually ran into the point where you really need to kind of grind at it though and decided she didn't care for it at all. She was initially really scared to tell me because she thought I'd be upset. I didn't even know I was pressuring her at all, but just because I was excited about it and liked working on problems with her, she felt pressured even though I didn't want to apply it.

She ended up in nursing school, and she's all in on anything medical. She constantly researches everything and has a deep enthusiasm for the medical field and is incredibly passionate about it. I don't know a whole lot about medicine, just common knowledge plus random facts I get from her, but I'm glad she found her thing.

Golf obviously isn't a career (at least for most people), so it's not exactly the same analogy, but if you have presented some great opportunities for your son and make it a fun weekend and experience the peak joys of the sport, then I think that's all you can do.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chi town
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chi town » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Chi town wrote:Thanks for the details!

My advice is to make the trip as pleasurable for both of you as you can. The key, as you said is no expectations. If he wants to play golf and catches the bug then he will. If he doesn't then he won't. You've done enough to expose him to golf, and he has enough interest to explore it, so he'll either grow more interested or not.

I have two girls and am a software developer. The older one has been interested in computers since she was two years old, and I thought she'd love software development. She had some initial interest and took a few classes in school, and she was good enough that she easily could have done this as a career and for awhile that was her thought.

She eventually ran into the point where you really need to kind of grind at it though and decided she didn't care for it at all. She was initially really scared to tell me because she thought I'd be upset. I didn't even know I was pressuring her at all, but just because I was excited about it and liked working on problems with her, she felt pressured even though I didn't want to apply it.

She ended up in nursing school, and she's all in on anything medical. She constantly researches everything and has a deep enthusiasm for the medical field and is incredibly passionate about it. I don't know a whole lot about medicine, just common knowledge plus random facts I get from her, but I'm glad she found her thing.

Golf obviously isn't a career (at least for most people), so it's not exactly the same analogy, but if you have presented some great opportunities for your son and make it a fun weekend and experience the peak joys of the sport, then I think that's all you can do.

So helpful. Thanks!!!
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#68 » by Dresden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:55 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Well, if you need more evidence that the left let takes more strain than the right, just look at the fact that Woods has had 3 or 4 surgeries on his left knee, none on his right knee, and has also injured his left achilles. The problem is not the "loading" of weight onto the leg, something the leg is well designed for, the issue is the torque that gets applies to the joints of the knee and ankle as the golfer plants and then rotates around the left leg. And often golfers will snap the left leg straight before impact, which further exacerbates the problem.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by DuckIII » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 pm

I agree that all of those things happen on the left side of a golf swing.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,122

Post#70 » by molepharmer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Heard on the WGC telecast yesterday that a few of the pros are going to be wearing red during the final round on Sunday to show their support for Tiger.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Chi town
RealGM

Post#71 » by Chi town » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm

PINEHURST UPDATE...

As shared above, just got back from Pinehurst with my son for a charity tourney. We took a red eye for
SF to Raleigh and went straight to Duke (Cameron Indoor Stadium) then UNC to walk campus. I went to IU so I’m a Bball purist and love tradition.

We then headed to Pinehurst and played the Cradle short course. 9 holes of walking. Longest hole 125 yards. Shortest 50. Crazy hard greens w slope and wind blowing good. SO FUN!!! 45-60 mins to play and they have music going around the course the whole time. My son was inches from a hole in one. Helped us get accustom to the greens.

Next day played No. 2 where they play the US open. He made a couple of tough birdie putts for us and he was pumped. Felt like one of the guys. The caddies loved him. HIGHLIGHT... after the round we are walking into the Carolina hotel and he says “Dad, I think it’s official. I am a serious golfer now.”

Last day we played No. 4 and our first hole I striped a 5 iron to get us on the green in 2. HIGHLIGHT...We had a crazy down hill slider from 12 feet and my son drained it center cup for Eagle!!! What a moment. Later on I knocked it to 7 feet on a long par 3 and he made the putt. We ended up 4th in the tourney out of 30+ teams and both got $250 for a golf website. Also received Pinehurst bag tags w our names engraved.

Lastnight we stayed w friends in Raleigh. Had a couple hours after breakfast before meeting up with friends and my son asks, “Dad, we have a couple hours. That’s enough for nine holes let’s go play:))))” can’t make that up fellas. He has been but by the golf bug. We start lessons at Mariners in a couple weeks where Zalatoris learned.

Exceeded all my expectations. Memorable moments. More than anything Father Son adventure. Our relationship is closer now. So grateful. Such a gift.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:59 pm

So glad to hear it!

Return to Chicago Bulls