ImageImageImage

Cavs 2020-21 season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2020-21 season 

Post#441 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:43 pm

this is what LAC drafted and then wasted as they are by far just as bad as DET at developing
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#442 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:29 pm

exactly the type of guy we should be kicking the tires on.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#443 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:54 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:exactly the type of guy we should be kicking the tires on.

yeah not sure if it is just for LNJ being out or part that and part JFro being out but maybe he gets some run and
finds a home here. rim protection was pretty good in college and he can shoot a bit. dont think he has a dribble drive of any kind but he might at this point improved that some.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,113

Post#444 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:21 am

The Clippers board didn't see heartbroken to let him go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#445 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
The Clippers board didn't see heartbroken to let him go.

They never saw him play at all though like ever besides garbage time. LAC are not a org that is known for developing or utilizing young forwards.
Its probably going to be similar to that here though if Nance and jfro return soon.
I think this is more about lnj probably missing the rest of the season when its all said and done or insurance incase Love needs to rest.
Dont forget this was a leonard hamilton recruited defender
Wisedude
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#446 » by Wisedude » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:09 pm

This seems to be the type of big man that came to the NBA way too early and should have stayed in College to continue his development. Some One and done college Guards and Forwards usually can come into the NBA and play and produce right away but there are even many of those that have shown they were not ready for the NBA and still struggle. So many One an done kids got the guaranteed 1st round contract but were far from ready for a Man's League and stymied their development and careers.

Agents for these very young players tell the team after a 2-3 years that if you are not going to play my player then trade him or waive him so he can go to a team that will give him minutes. I'm sure the Cavs will give Kabengele lots of minutes during his 10 day contract to see how he plays in actual competition.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#447 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Wisedude wrote:This seems to be the type of big man that came to the NBA way too early and should have stayed in College to continue his development. Some One and done college Guards and Forwards usually can come into the NBA and play and produce right away but there are even many of those that have shown they were not ready for the NBA and still struggle. So many One an done kids got the guaranteed 1st round contract but were far from ready for a Man's League and stymied their development and careers.

Agents for these very young players tell the team after a 2-3 years that if you are not going to play my player then trade him or waive him so he can go to a team that will give him minutes. I'm sure the Cavs will give Kabengele lots of minutes during his 10 day contract to see how he plays in actual competition.

It just depends what JBB is comfortable sending out there as a lineup. Minimally Kabengele is a panic button in case someone else goes down, or we need to cope with a big lineup like the Pelicans. Dean Wade trying to defend Zion Williamson sounds like a career night for the later.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#448 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#450 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Kevin Love: "I love Cleveland. I'll f***in' rock with Cleveland until the day I die."

lol, nicely played Kevin.

I've gotta say, over all the years people kept saying Kevin Love hated being in Cleveland and was going to leave us, and all he ever did was stick to his word and has tried to build a legacy. I doubt he'd continue his career after he retires in Cleveland with a role in the organization or on TV, but I think he'll be back when we hang jersey's, hold reunions and such, maybe even show up to a playoff game.

And as a fan, I'd be happy to see even that much from a former player and star of the team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#451 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Kevin Love: "I love Cleveland. I'll f***in' rock with Cleveland until the day I die."

I've gotta say, over all the years people kept saying Kevin Love hated being in Cleveland and was going to leave us, and all he ever did was stick to his word and has tried to build a legacy. I doubt he'd continue his career after he retires in Cleveland with a role in the organization or on TV, but I think he'll be back when we hang jersey's, hold reunions and such, maybe even show up to a playoff game.

And as a fan, I'd be happy to see even that much from a former player and star of the team.

Yeah, he still needs to spend the summer getting himself in the best shape he can or I'm moving him to the bench next season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#452 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Kevin Love: "I love Cleveland. I'll f***in' rock with Cleveland until the day I die."

Yeah, he still needs to spend the summer getting himself in the best shape he can or I'm moving him to the bench next season.

He has chronic back issues and has been injury prone throughout his career ... can't really do much more than cross your fingers and hope he's able to play 60+ games and provide floor spacing, a 2nd or 3rd scoring option, and help with our ball movement.

If we can get everyone healthy, I'd love (no pun intended) to re-evaluate whether someone else fits better with the starting lineup.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

He has chronic back issues and has been injury prone throughout his career ... can't really do much more than cross your fingers and hope he's able to play 60+ games and provide floor spacing, a 2nd or 3rd scoring option, and help with our ball movement.

If we can get everyone healthy, I'd love (no pun intended) to re-evaluate whether someone else fits better with the starting lineup.

I think it might be better to start Nance and limit Love's minutes both from the perspective of team continuity and Love's individual health. Also, he can play full tilt in limited minutes as opposed to taking plays off as a starter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#454 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think it might be better to start Nance and limit Love's minutes both from the perspective of team continuity and Love's individual health. Also, he can play full tilt in limited minutes as opposed to taking plays off as a starter.

Kevin has a lot of inertia as a former All-Star and champion. He will need to be beat out, and soundly because Larry has already shown he's ok with and effective coming off the bench.

But we don't have a lot of lineup data for Kevin or Larry with our intended starters, and what there is does not give Larry any kind of an edge over Kevin let alone Dean Wade.

If Isaac enters next season burying 3pter, that should make Larry more viable; but I'd still rather double down and stick with Kevin as long as he retains his gravity.

Floor spacing and backup PG are still my #1 priorities for the team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Kevin has a lot of inertia as a former All-Star and champion. He will need to be beat out, and soundly because Larry has already shown he's ok with and effective coming off the bench.

But we don't have a lot of lineup data for Kevin or Larry with our intended starters, and what there is does not give Larry any kind of an edge over Kevin let alone Dean Wade.

If Isaac enters next season burying 3pter, that should make Larry more viable; but I'd still rather double down and stick with Kevin as long as he retains his gravity.

I don't think that Love, Sexton, and Garland can share the court defensively. That's just one too many bad defenders in a starting unit even with Garland being leaps and bounds better than where he was last year. The reality is that Love and Sexton are both trending in the wrong direction defensively.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#456 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't think that Love, Sexton, and Garland can share the court defensively. That's just one too many bad defenders in a starting unit even with Garland being leaps and bounds better than where he was last year. The reality is that Love and Sexton are both trending in the wrong direction defensively.

And on the flip side, we can't expect to run a modern offense with 3 players on the floor just to try to shore up the defense.

So, it's a pick your poison situation until something better becomes obvious.

I pick continuity and offense, you pick defense, stay tuned to see what Koby and JBB do (assuming they survive).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

And on the flip side, we can't expect to run a modern offense with 3 players on the floor just to try to shore up the defense.

I pick continuity and offense, you pick defense, stay tuned to see what Koby and JBB do (assuming they survive).

Continuity is overrated when you're playing sub .400 ball. That our, negative, MOV isn't suffering despite not having our leading scorer out there is a tell IMO. Also, with Sexton out, Love isn't exactly picking up the slack offensively.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#458 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Continuity is overrated when you're playing sub .400 ball. That our, negative, MOV isn't suffering despite not having our leading scorer out there is a tell IMO. Also, with Sexton out, Love isn't exactly picking up the slack offensively.

It's a consideration that a team gives a veteran player a fair chance to recover from injury and jell with his teammates before ripping him out of the starting lineup. There are other ways to experiment with lineups without rocking the boat that hard.

Once it becomes clear that Larry (or whoever) is the better path forward, I'll be right there with you.

But even then, I'd expect the Cavs decision to still lag.

Just how it is ...

Unless there's an official "change in course".
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#459 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:09 am

Farewell tour.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#460 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:09 am

Tbc

Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers