Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#161 » by rtblues » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Came here for the "Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol" but got something very different.
My dad used to say, "Never get into the middle of an argument, just sit back and enjoy it"...

Here's a wild and crazy prediction: Nobody's changing anyone's mind.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#163 » by cool007 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm

If Lavine is out for that long then we should just pick a lane (IMO - try to get the top 4 pick) and just try to lose the games now. Tanking is the way to go now. Wizards have the easiest schedule and are hot right now. We have one of the toughest schedule left and already out of the play-in spot.

Hopefully Billy goes back to his weird rotations at the weird times in the game and does his best to lose the games and try to get to that bottom 6th/7th spot.

That would be the best case scenario - if we can somehow move up and get that top 4 pick. Atleast 1 bright spot out of this miserable year/season.
econprof
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#164 » by econprof » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Maybe I missed this but do we even know if Zach has been symptomatic and, if so, how bad?
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,924

Post#165 » by Wingy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 pm

cool007 wrote:If Lavine is out for that long then we should just pick a lane (IMO - try to get the top 4 pick) and just try to lose the games now. Tanking is the way to go now. Wizards have the easiest schedule and are hot right now. We have one of the toughest schedule left and already out of the play-in spot.

Hopefully Billy goes back to his weird rotations at the weird times in the game and does his best to lose the games and try to get to that bottom 6th/7th spot.

That would be the best case scenario - if we can somehow move up and get that top 4 pick. Atleast 1 bright spot out of this miserable year/season.

It's time for the ultimate weapon to be unleashed.

The Big, Big, Big Lineup!!
- PWill (we want to "develop" his PG skills)
- Lauri
- Thad
- Theis
- Vuc
Wingy
RealGM

Post#166 » by Wingy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:56 pm

econprof wrote:Maybe I missed this but do we even know if Zach has been symptomatic and, if so, how bad?

Dunno, haven't heard anything. Implied from that article that he still keeps testing positive though.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#167 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm

I think they're gonna give it a stealth shot, and I don't blame them. At this point, I want the Coby/Pat/Lauri/Theis/Vucevic experiment, full-force.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#168 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:46 pm

The far more likely outcome is 1D chess where we tank to improve Orlando's pick and give them #7-9. Though it would be amazing if the lotto gods smile upon us.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wingy
RealGM

Post#169 » by Wingy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 pm

dougthonus wrote:

The far more likely outcome is 1D chess where we tank to improve Orlando's pick and give them #7-9. Though it would be amazing if the lotto gods smile upon us.

It’s the Bulls, so by default we’re playing checkers.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#170 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 pm

Wingy wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

It’s the Bulls, so by default we’re playing checkers.

I figured if it was the Bulls we were playing Monopoly :lol:
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,311

Post#171 » by Stratmaster » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:00 am

TheStig wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
TheStig wrote:Doug, they literally pulled one of the vaccines. I think the apprehension is warranted and less than a year doesn't illustrate long term. To me, it's not a definite solution. It doesn't eliminate getting it, it doesn't eliminate the masks and we still have a lot of hospitalizations and deaths.

I think they're valid concerns. It's not black and white. There is a lot of gray. Just look from state to state on how it's being handled.

This does not change either of the two points I noted that are common misconceptions:

As noted, they still underwent the same clinical trials as all other drugs. It did not have less testing. It was "rushed" in the sense there were more people working more hours with more resources and more money dedicated on it but not rushed in the sense that less rigor was applied and people conflate those two points to feel that dangerous steps were taken to bring it to market, which is not true.

Any affects you have are short term, not long term. Ie, A vaccine will not just randomly cause something to happen in a year. If something does happen, it will happen right away. This is fundamentally true with pretty much any medication. Radiation exposure is perhaps the one thing in life that doesn't entirely work this way.

Thus far, one person has died from a COVID blood clot, so the death rate of the vaccine is about 1 in 700M. To put that in perspective:
You 2x more likely to win the powerball.
You are ~4,000,000x as likely to die in a car accident at some point in your life.
You are 46,000x more likely to be struck by lightning in your life.

You would expect ~16,000 people to die the day after getting a COVID vaccine based on the death rate of the world being .008% per year. As best I could find the death rate was actually around 3500, which is statically way less likely because so many people getting it aren't in the high risk group to be in the .008% now (though initially we should have been way above since most early vaccinations were exclusively the high risk group).

People's level of fear over this vaccine is either irrational (ie, you are scared of this despite the risks being orders of magnitude less than risks you find commonly acceptable and know this to be true) or of ignorance (you don't actually understand the risks and have magnified them in your head to be many, many orders of magnitude higher than they are).

The arguments against this are not based on any mathematical science or anything else. It is just "you never know" type of arguments that literally could be said about anything we aren't comfortable with and sound reasonable but fall apart very quickly when looking at the massive amount of data w have.

It is similar to how people scared of flying vastly overstate the risks of flying out of lack of familiarity or have other irrational fears (spiders, bugs, etc). Most of us haven't gotten vaccines since we were small children, probably don't even remember getting them. We don't have familiarity anymore. Obviously none of us have gotten this vaccine before at all.

It is rational to be nervous of the covid vaccine in the sense that this is what the human brain does, it makes us nervous around things we aren't experienced with regardless of the data. So I completely understand those who are nervous and do not mean to belittle them. I have irrational fears too. I fly at least three trips a year but still always have butterflys at takeoff. If I saw a tarantula in my house I'd flip out.

However, scientifically, this isn't a grey area where we still don't know whether this is safe. With the amount of doses administered we have a very exact idea of how safe it is, and that level of safety is extraordinarily high relative to other medicines you would likely take without thinking and extremely high relative to other activities you would absolutely do without thinking.

Doug, I don't mean to be rude but i don't really take medical advice from posters on a internet basketball forum. I'm not against vaccines. I'm just not in the risk pool and prefer to wait. But to act like everything about the long term effects is decided upon in less than 6 months of administrating these vaccines is silly. How many decades did you have scientists telling people cocaine was a medicine? Or that lead paint and asbestos was safe? As I said, if I were older or at risk, my decision would be different. But to say there is no reason to proceed with caution is ignorant to me.
Do you interact with anyone in the risk group? Over 60 or existing medical conditions?

Are you quarantining yourself at home until you decide on the vaccine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#172 » by StunnerKO » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#173 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:15 pm

Is this Bulls protocol though?

When Sato was out, he was also out for 3 weeks. Same with Hutch.
The Cult of Personality
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#174 » by StunnerKO » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm

Right nba said 10–14 days and now another week? Like wth seen other players return quicker
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#175 » by sco » Sat May 1, 2021 1:32 pm

Read on Twitter
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,533

Post#176 » by DuckIII » Sat May 1, 2021 1:42 pm

Good. Keep losing and possibly “pass” Toronto.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#177 » by Hugi Mancura » Sat May 1, 2021 1:54 pm

So if he was with team it means he doesn't have covid anymore. Maybe he just have some longer lasting symptoms. Covid does attack the lungs, so maybe he has some breathing problems. And at this point it is quite pointless to bring him in unless he is fully healthy.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#178 » by Wingy » Sat May 1, 2021 2:32 pm

Saw Zach on sideline. No like.

Seems like they’ll classic Reinsdorf & co. Bulls, and bring him back only to lower our odds for a playin chance we can’t reach anyway.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,311

Post#179 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 1, 2021 2:48 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:So if he was with team it means he doesn't have covid anymore. Maybe he just have some longer lasting symptoms. Covid does attack the lungs, so maybe he has some breathing problems. And at this point it is quite pointless to bring him in unless he is fully healthy.
Zach said a couple days ago he was feeling great and said the Covid protocol was "for the birds"

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
RagingBull316
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#180 » by RagingBull316 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:45 pm

Wingy wrote:Saw Zach on sideline. No like.

Seems like they’ll classic Reinsdorf & co. Bulls, and bring him back only to lower our odds for a playin chance we can’t reach anyway.

In classic Reinsdorf & Co. fasion, they will keep him out as long as they can so they can use the same line they use every offseason. "Our guys didn't get a chance to play together much, we will be much better next year once we are healthy" and they will use that line to justify not making anymore big moves this offseason.

Return to Chicago Bulls