Djoker
Rookie
And1: 914

Re: [Project] Top 5 single season peaks by franchises: The Bulls 

Post#21 » by Djoker » Sat May 1, 2021 4:35 pm

1. 1990-1991 Michael Jordan

GOAT peak

2. 1993-1994 Scottie Pippen

I assessed whether someone else could have been better and I don't think so. Pippen's all-around game was very valuable. None of the guys on this list other than Jordan can lead a team to a title but Pippen comes closest... maybe. He can anchor a league average offense and a really good defense which is impressive for a non-big. In fact I consider Pip the best non-big defender in history.

3. 2010-2011 Derrick Rose

The more i look at it the more I think this is one of the most underrated individual seasons ever. Rose was spectacular that year, a unique blend of athleticism, midrange game and playmaking. He had the body of Westbrook but a much greater mind for basketball. Rose was a young player only 23 at the time and still a great decision maker. Even though those Bulls were talented and had really good role players, without Rose they fell off heavily which is another strong signal that he had seriously high value. I considered putting him over Pippen and am still open to doing so but he's here for now. Rose led a very defensively inclined roster to above average offense but the fact that he wasn't a good defender gives me more question marks about his impact compared to Pip. Guys like Noah and to a lesser extent Taj and Deng were key to the 2011 Bulls' defensive identity.

4. 1976-1977 Artis Gilmore

Maybe the strongest man to play in the NBA. Monster when he got inside position, good on the boards and can protect the rim. Motivation was an issue for the A Train. Still his talent is undeniable and on his day he could give the best C's of the era like Kareem and Moses difficult nights. The Bulls had little talent by this point (Love and Van Lier were out of their prime/injured...) and he led them to respectability and a playoff appearance.

5. 2014-2015 Jimmy Butler

All-star caliber offensive player with all-league level defense puts him here. I considered Horace Grant but I think Jimmy is just a better player than Grant, as simple as that.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#22 » by falcolombardi » Sat May 1, 2021 5:08 pm

i think the argument that you cannot win with rose is wrongly approached

yes, he cannot be as good of a offense raiser by himself as lebron, magic or jordan. but i think as a second star or part of a big 2/3 he is still a player that helps you get rings

chauncey billups, kyrie irving, tony parker were all part of championship teams in big offensive roles with high usage and shots taken. i think rose could do that too

the 2011 bulls were a notch below real contender with rose as their only star, most champion teams have 2 stars at least and the number of players who can win rings as the only star is very low. nothing wromg with being a "robin" like pippen was
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#23 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 1, 2021 11:02 pm

1. '91-92 Michael Jordan - continuation of the previous year but with more confidence

2. '93-94 Scottie Pippen - Scottie as the Man

3. '16-17 Jimmy Butler - what a monster, amazing that the Bulls let him go

4. '93-94 Horace Grant - I tend to think of '93-94 as peak Triangle, with Grant being very much 1B to Pippen's 1A.

5. '10-11 Derrick Rose - could have gone with some other guys here, but it was a special year

ftr, I thought particularly hard about those early '70s teams and Chet Walker.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#24 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun May 2, 2021 1:16 am

Semi surprised to not see a single 2014 Noah mention given he was dpoy and 4th in mvp voting that year.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#25 » by Colbinii » Sun May 2, 2021 4:10 am

I'm on a trip with a significant other and don't have time for detailed explanation.

1. 1992 Michael Jordan
2. 1994 Scottie Pippen
3. 2017 Jimmy Butler
4. 2011 Derrick Rose
5. 1977 Artis Gilmore
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#26 » by Odinn21 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:00 pm

The Bulls results;

Code: Select all

1. 10-0-0-0-0 / 100 points / 1.000 share / '91 Michael Jordan
2.  0-8-1-1-0 /  64 points / 0.640 share / '94 Scottie Pippen
3.  0-0-4-4-1 /  33 points / 0.330 share / '11 Derrick Rose
4.  0-0-4-2-3 /  29 points / 0.290 share / '17 Jimmy Butler
5.  0-2-1-2-3 /  28 points / 0.280 share / '77 Artis Gilmore

6.  0-0-0-1-3 /   6 points / 0.060 share / '92 Horace Grant

Results on Google Sheet
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#27 » by KobesScarf » Sun May 2, 2021 10:21 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:5) 1992 Horace Grant - Originally had Rose here, but the more I think about it neither guy can be the best guy on a championship team. Horace Grant seems like he would be a better supporting player than Rose, which in the grand scheme of things is what Rose should be.

This embodies everything wrong with RealGM
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,568

Post#28 » by homecourtloss » Sun May 2, 2021 10:45 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:5) 1992 Horace Grant - Originally had Rose here, but the more I think about it neither guy can be the best guy on a championship team. Horace Grant seems like he would be a better supporting player than Rose, which in the grand scheme of things is what Rose should be.

Over the past 5-6 years, instead of thinking everyone else is wrong, have you thought about why posters might evaluate a player the way they do? Best historical basketball analysis anywhere for free and some posters refuse to get anything out of it.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#29 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 3, 2021 12:36 am

homecourtloss wrote:Over the past 5-6 years, instead of thinking everyone else is wrong, have you thought about why posters might evaluate a player the way they do? Best historical basketball analysis anywhere for free and some posters refuse to get anything out of it.

This. So much, THIS.

People are coming in with defend-at-all-costs identities formed around opinions they formed when they were novice fans.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#30 » by KobesScarf » Tue May 4, 2021 2:49 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

Over the past 5-6 years, instead of thinking everyone else is wrong, have you thought about why posters might evaluate a player the way they do? Best historical basketball analysis anywhere for free and some posters refuse to get anything out of it.

I have thought about it. And evaluating players based on the "pick your all time fantasy starting 5 chemistry" criteria is just nonsensical.

No GM, Coach or Player would ever say they want Horace Grant over Rose using the logic of I want the best 3rd best player.

Return to Player Comparisons