Better Player: Julius Erving vs. Jerry West

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Djoker
Rookie
And1: 972

Better Player: Julius Erving vs. Jerry West 

Post#1 » by Djoker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:53 pm

Who do you think is a better player in their primes.

I used to be in Dr J's corner but I'm strongly leaning towards West these days.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Re: Better Player: Julius Erving vs. Jerry West 

Post#2 » by kuclas » Sat May 1, 2021 12:32 am

I’m not old enough to see Jerry west play. I was just a very young kid when dr j won his only nba title.

So dr j was in the latter 1/3 of end of his career.

But dr j reminds me on Vince Carter except he also had Kwhai Leonard huge hands.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#3 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 1, 2021 5:43 pm

Djoker wrote:Who do you think is a better player in their primes.

I'm in the same boat.

I named myself here after Dr. J and early on argued fiercely for Erving over both West & Oscar, and I have had to go in the other direction.

I do still think that Erving's '75-76 campaign is a GOAT Season candidate, but I don't believe Erving had the same fundamental ability to seek and find impact the way West (and Oscar) did.

I'll also say that my assessment of Erving has fallen slightly with what I've learned, but the bigger change is that my estimation of West & Oscar has gone up so much.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#4 » by homecourtloss » Sat May 1, 2021 5:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Djoker wrote:Who do you think is a better player in their primes.

I'm in the same boat.

I named myself here after Dr. J and early on argued fiercely for Erving over both West & Oscar, and I have had to go in the other direction.

I do still think that Erving's '75-76 campaign is a GOAT Season candidate, but I don't believe Erving had the same fundamental ability to seek and find impact the way West (and Oscar) did.

I'll also say that my assessment of Erving has fallen slightly with what I've learned, but the bigger change is that my estimation of West & Oscar has gone up so much.

I have to pretty much agree with all of this, Dr. MJ. I do think that the respective peaks of Dr. J and West and Oscar are close as are their respective career values, but the collective work so many different posters trying to measure impact towards West and Oscar now.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#5 » by No-more-rings » Sat May 1, 2021 7:21 pm

Do we feel comfortable saying that Dr J is clearly better defensively? Because on offense I don’t think he has a very good case if any.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#6 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 1, 2021 8:54 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Do we feel comfortable saying that Dr J is clearly better defensively? Because on offense I don’t think he has a very good case if any.

No, in fact, the consensus as I've seen it is that West was a more serious defender than Dr. J.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by migya » Sun May 2, 2021 4:41 pm

Dr J was really good but not at West's level and never considered anywhere near top ten alltime where West can be.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#8 » by Samurai » Sun May 2, 2021 6:28 pm

This is tough for me since I grew up as a huge Dr. J fan. Granted, I only had the chance to watch him during his NBA career because ABA games just weren't televised much. But between the two, I'd have to say West was the better player. Clearly a better shooter and defensive player (other than the occasional spectacular blocked shot, but if blocked shots were actually tracked I wouldn't be surprised if West would have had as many total blocks as Erving). West's handles weren't great but that wasn't the Doc's primary forte either; I'd say Erving's advantage in this is fairly small. Erving's biggest advantage is as a fast break finisher and penetrator. But even this is somewhat offset in that West drew fouls at a much higher rate and converted a higher percentage of FT's as well. In fact several of West's FTr's approach Harden's non-peak years. In the end, the big difference in West's jumpshot, both in terms of proficiency and range, gives him the overall edge in my book.

Of course, if I had the chance to watch ABA Doc as much as I did West or the older NBA version of Erving my opinion might change....
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#9 » by TheBomb81 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:27 pm

Dr. J.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#10 » by Jaivl » Tue May 4, 2021 6:23 am

West, and... I don't think it's that close?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons