Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Re: Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion 

Post#1661 » by ROballer » Sat May 1, 2021 4:19 pm

Not even close to the same scenario.

Haliburton had 29 games this season with 10 or less field goal attempts. Edwards got 5.
Haliburton 18.1 USG, Edwards 27.1 USG.

Didn't matter what coach he played for, he got his piece of the pie. And the fact that he didn't play with good players helped his cause because it bumped his usage from the get go. And that's why he's in the conversation, because of his scoring numbers. Haliburton dwarfs him in everything else.

Haliburton had only 14 games all season with an usage over 20. That's before the last 4 games(without Fox), in which he's averaging 25 and putting up 18/3/9 with 1.8 steals a game.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
twolves31
Junior
And1: 255

Post#1662 » by twolves31 » Sat May 1, 2021 6:20 pm

Right now Minnesota, Charlotte, and Sacramento should be happy they got 3 fantastic players out of this draft. What matters the most is how all 3 players improve over the years, and I feel they will be all stars very soon. I would love to see Ant, Ball, and Hali play their best games of the season the rest of the way, and may the best rookie win rookie of the year.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1663 » by Jadoogar » Sun May 2, 2021 1:27 am

tmorgan wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:really early for a redraft obviously but the athletic posted one recently.
1. Lamelo (obviously)
2. Ant Man
3. Wiseman (they considered team needs, Charlotte would prefer a high upside big rather than someone with a lower ceiling)
4. Pat Williams
5. Haliburton (i think main reason was upside here, Williams projects to have a higher ceiling)
6. Isaiah Stewart
7. Poku
8. Killian Hayes
9. Okongwu (i haven't watched him at all)
10. Jaden McDaniels

The glaring omission here is Quickley, i think he would go 6th easily.

Potential or no potential, if NBA execs got to watch this season before making picks, there is no way in HELL Wiseman goes before Stewart. They are leagues apart as players right now.

If you're only basing it on what we have seen this season, Killian Hayes would be no where near this list.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,121

Post#1664 » by brutalitops » Sun May 2, 2021 2:16 am

ROballer wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Hali will be ROY

Only way he won't be is because of **** Walton.

This kid is a straight stud and you need to lock either Hield or Fox(preferably Hield, what a garbage season he's having)in a closet and give him his goddamn earned usage going forward. He's reached another level out of his already outstanding rookie year after Fox left the rotation.

If the Kings traded Hield at the deadline as they should have, Haliburton would've been the runaway ROY.
Instead he spent most of the season as the 3rd/4th option and having 10 FGA as an average for 3/4 of the year.

Would be interesting to give him a chance to get some volume shots up, People are so quick to put a cap on players like Haliburton but his man on man defense is literally trash because he's giving up 30 points on anyone he guards. He could fix that with an off-season and access to uber eats

At worst he's going to be a great role player. i love his ability to gamble, if i was a kings fan ild be happy for Haliburton to have the licence to play any passing lanes he feels like
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,121

Post#1665 » by brutalitops » Sun May 2, 2021 2:20 am

1-Antman
2-McDaniels
3-Whoever we drafted second round cuz we the best
4-Alejxkswqowr Pokuweqkfsdafgski
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#1666 » by Klomp » Sun May 2, 2021 8:17 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:the ROY returns tomorrow :pray:

You're correct. Edwards and the Timberwolves host the Pelicans tomorrow.

i'll give him the lead till Melo plays 1 or 2 good games, then itll be a blowout again very quickly. kinda says a lot about the gulf in talent that it took that many games off to give him an argument though

Gulf in talent? Because the ROY is always the most talented player, just like 2009 proved....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#1667 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 2:31 am

Haliburton might be gone for the rest of the year. He injured his knee, still not sure of the severity. He ended up walking off, but players do that with ACL injuries sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1668 » by Almond2Oak » Mon May 3, 2021 4:36 pm

basketballRob wrote:Haliburton might be gone for the rest of the year. He injured his knee, still not sure of the severity. He ended up walking off, but players do that with ACL injuries sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

If the Kings have any intelligence, they should just sit him. There is no point in risking the next decade for a stupid 9-11 games.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1669 » by blueNorange » Mon May 3, 2021 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,592

Post#1670 » by Roger Murdock » Wed May 5, 2021 2:18 am

Isaac Okoro had himself a game. He ultimately needs to start as the 2-guard. His ability to drive and pass is underrated. Hes best guarding PGs/SGs.

The size mismatch at SF has stunted his growth a bit.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#1671 » by TheZachAttack » Wed May 5, 2021 5:45 am

Wolves fan. Ball has cemented his case for me. Has nothing to do with Edwards or his play or his potential. Ball has just been a little bit better.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#1672 » by theGreatRC » Wed May 5, 2021 8:59 am

Lamelo deserves ROY, he's done it consistently all season.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#1673 » by Colbinii » Wed May 5, 2021 2:11 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:Wolves fan. Ball has cemented his case for me. Has nothing to do with Edwards or his play or his potential. Ball has just been a little bit better.

100% agree.

I like ANT a lot--he is a unique player both on the court and off-court. He is genuine and as a fan of a lousy ass franchise I couldn't be happier to have him moving forward. I expect him to improve on his game every year based on how he speaks and what he speaks about.

LaMelo on the other hand looks like an all-time talent. After watching the game last night I simply came away impressed--nothing less. Some of his passes are things only Magic, Nash, and Jokic could do--and he made 2 or 3 of these passes throughout the game. He always knows where everyone is on the floor which is attributed by the fact his IQ is through the roof.

Both the Wolves and Hornets should be happy.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#1674 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 5, 2021 4:14 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Isaac Okoro had himself a game. He ultimately needs to start as the 2-guard. His ability to drive and pass is underrated. Hes best guarding PGs/SGs.

Isaac was flashing a triple threat game .vs. the Suns ... but that all starts with burying open 3's so the defense can't go under screens.

It can certainly be argued the the Cavs should have been using him in the P&R more in the first place and hopefully we'll see that theory tested the rest of the season. Especially in home games where he's shot the 3-ball so much better (37%).
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1675 » by mg » Wed May 5, 2021 5:49 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Isaac Okoro had himself a game. He ultimately needs to start as the 2-guard. His ability to drive and pass is underrated. Hes best guarding PGs/SGs.

Wings need to be interchangeable. Not sure I subscribe to a theory that someone is just a SG or just a SF. They need to be able to play both in this positionless era.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#1676 » by _AIJ_ » Wed May 5, 2021 6:24 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Lamelo deserves ROY, he's done it consistently all season.

Consistently? Lol. Mmmkay
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#1677 » by Colbinii » Wed May 5, 2021 6:32 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:

He has been consistent, especially since he has been starting...
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#1678 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 5, 2021 6:54 pm

mg wrote:

Wings need to be interchangeable. Not sure I subscribe to a theory that someone is just a SG or just a SF. They need to be able to play both in this positionless era.

I think Isaac will be able to guard 4 positions at a high-level, eventually, but for now he's a 19yr old rookie learning the league and Bickerstaff has thrown him in to the fire by asking him to guard the best opposing wing.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#1679 » by theGreatRC » Wed May 5, 2021 7:14 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:

I'm a Wolves fan just like you and during the beginning of the year, Ant's best scoring games came in blowouts with a few occasional good games like the Warriors & Lakers game (And the first 2 games of the year he was solid) other than that, he was pretty rough and you can't deny that.

After the all-star break, Ant has become a completely different player, one deserving of ROY.

Lamelo has been consistently putting up the numbers all year with a few bad games like every rookie has.

Would I trade Ant for Lamelo?

No, but who had the better rookie year consistently? Lamelo. He's even come back after hurting his shooting hand and putting up the same numbers like he never left

We'll see what happens in year 2, if Melo wins it, I bet this pushes Ant harder in the off season
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,692

Post#1680 » by Domejandro » Thu May 6, 2021 1:40 am

Half way through the third quarter, Anthony Edwards has....

27 Points (11/14 Field Goals)
5 Rebounds
5 Assists

EDIT: Nevermind, make it 30 Points right out of the timeout.

Return to The General Board